HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Here's what to do for next year

Old
01-26-2011, 12:37 PM
sabresfan123*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boose30 View Post
Im already on the bandwagon that the sabres arent going to make the playoffs so i took a couple hrs out of my o so busy college life to put together a potential list for what the team should look like and who the sabres should get in the off season via free agency.

LW C RW
Vanek-7,142,857 B. Richards-8,300,000 Pominville-5,300,000
Ennis-875,000 Roy-4,000,000 Tanguay-2,300,000
Gerbe-950,000 Adam-687,500 Kassian-900,000
Hecht-3,525,000 Gaustad-2,300,000 McCormick-600,000
Kaleta-1,200,000

D
Ehrhoff-3,750,000 Leopold-3,000,000
Myers-1,300,000 Sekera-1,750,000
Morrisonn-2,075,000 Weber-600,000
Gragnani-600,000

G
Miller-6,250,000
Enroth-650,000

Richards gets a 1-2yr deal (good center, helps on the pp), Tanguay probably a 1yr deal(consistent point scorer, good on pp), Ehrhoff a 2-3yr deal(young, helps quarterback pp). This would put the payroll at a little over 58mill. The current cap is 59.4mill so this would give the Sabres roughly 1.4mill in excess to play around with for bonuses and what not. Theres really not a whole lot of good players on the f/a market this off season so this is the best i could come up with. Let me know if ya think of any other players that could be better than those i chose.
Richards one year deal? When he is 40 maybe.
RICHARDS IS NOT COMMING HERE, PERIOD.
Well maybe if the sabres offered him 9m over 5 years but I still doubt it.

sabresfan123* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 02:08 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip View Post
What she was trying to say was that with Ennis, Adam and Byron looking like solid NHL'ers that upgrading our current #1 center is a possibility. I'm not sold on the idea, but I can see the point.

Take out Roy and sub in Richards or equivalent and I can see how that would be an improvement given further development of Ennis, Adam and Byron into next season. Any two of them at center and we're now three offensive centers deep again.

Of course having Roy as the #2 guy would be better, but we don't have the assets otherwise to get that top-tier #1.

Ta,
I see the point, but I just don't think it's realistic to get a legit #1. I guess if we could I'd probably take the deal. I also don't like the idea of depending on our rookies so much.

Also, Luceni is a female? This is news to me.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 07:38 PM
OkimLom

Guys that should be on the roster next year:
Adam, Kassian, Ennis, Vanek, Roy, Myers, Miller, Leopold, McCormick, Kaleta, Pominville,Morrisonn(sp), Ellis, Gragnani(sp), Weber.

Guys who should be traded/Let Go(before Deadline or offseason):
Stafford, Hecht(picks), Connolly(pick), Montador(Pick), Gerbe(picks), Gaustad, Sekera, Enroth, Butler(picks).

New players
Jordan Staal-Trade Pit Stafford+2nd/3rd
Radek Dvorak-Sign 2 years @ 2 million per
Jussi Jokinen- Sign 3 years @ 2.5 million per
Eric Brewer-Sign 3 years @ 4.7 million per
Anton Babchuk-Sign 3 years @ 2 million
Josh Harding-Sign 2 years @ 2 million

Our Lineup
Ennis-Staal-Vanek
Kassian-Roy-Pominville
Adam-Jokinen-McCormick
Kaleta-Ellis-Dvorak

Myers-Brewer
Leopold-Weber
Gragnani-Babchuk

Miller
Harding

I think each line gets better in every way. I also think you gain speed on each line. Each of the new guys give you flexibility to throw together consistent play no matter if you just killed off a Pk or PP. I think you have a better roster without ruining the KEY players in your core(Roy, Vanek, Pommers, Miller). I think Gaustad needs a change of scenary. He has done nothing the past two and a half years for how much money he gets paid.

Of course the money and length are debatable but I think all the players acquired can help this team. Let me know what you think.

OkimLom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 07:50 PM
Macksayev
17+19 (3+72)

i think Jordan Staal is best used as a 3rd line center, 2nd line tops. I know people say he gets buried behind Crosby and Malkin, but in no way do I see Jordan as a top line center.

Macksayev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 07:56 PM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macksayev View Post
i think Jordan Staal is best used as a 3rd line center, 2nd line tops. I know people say he gets buried behind Crosby and Malkin, but in no way do I see Jordan as a top line center.
Okay, you have a point. I just think with his size and his skill he can be a good 2nd option behind Roy if you need him to. I mean Roy and Connolly are the "top" centers on this team now but I think Roy and Staal would be better options for top centers.

OkimLom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 08:49 PM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
Okay, you have a point. I just think with his size and his skill he can be a good 2nd option behind Roy if you need him to. I mean Roy and Connolly are the "top" centers on this team now but I think Roy and Staal would be better options for top centers.
I would take Roy and Staal over Roy and Connolly every day of the week.

Unfortunately, I highly doubt PGH has any thoughts of moving him and who knows if Roy will actually be the same player he was pre-injury.

Our center depth was questionable before Roy's injury, it's absolutely scary bad now.

Crazy Tasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 05:44 PM
Pengo

Even if Jordan Staal is just a #2 center, I still think he's worth trading for now while the return for him is reasonable (then again, maybe Pittsburgh has absolutely no plans to trade him ).

Anyway, he's been very good this season, with 7 points in his last 6 games. While you could say that it's really 7 in 11 games, he probably needed time to adjust after missing half the season. And he's also a great defensive forward (nominated for the Selke last season).

Realistically, though, I don't think Pittsburgh would take Stafford and a 2nd or 3rd. But maybe they would listen for Stafford and a 1st? I'm not sure if other GMs would agree that Stafford has figured it out though.

Will anyone we would take in the 1st round be better than Staal? I'm not sure...

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 08:59 PM
Macksayev
17+19 (3+72)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassian View Post
Even if Jordan Staal is just a #2 center, I still think he's worth trading for now while the return for him is reasonable (then again, maybe Pittsburgh has absolutely no plans to trade him ).

Anyway, he's been very good this season, with 7 points in his last 6 games. While you could say that it's really 7 in 11 games, he probably needed time to adjust after missing half the season. And he's also a great defensive forward (nominated for the Selke last season).

Realistically, though, I don't think Pittsburgh would take Stafford and a 2nd or 3rd. But maybe they would listen for Stafford and a 1st? I'm not sure if other GMs would agree that Stafford has figured it out though.

Will anyone we would take in the 1st round be better than Staal? I'm not sure...
dont get me wrong, I would love to have Jordan Staal on the Sabres- I'm not sure if it's out of homerism or admiration for the way he plays a defensively responsible game.... but nonetheless, I'd love to have him wearing blue and gold.

Like you said, though, having Jordan Staal as a number three center is amazing for Pittsburgh, and I don't see them parting with him unless the deal is a bit of an overpayment/an issue with the cap.

Macksayev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 09:56 PM
CaptPantalones

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonnow View Post
What about Brooks Laich?
Read my mind.

Absolutely the most realistic option for the Sabres. Would likely come in at 4 mil per and fill a huge need as a physical 2nd line C.

I wouldnt mind seeing Roy, Laich, Adam and Goose as the centers next year

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 10:08 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
Read my mind.

Absolutely the most realistic option for the Sabres. Would likely come in at 4 mil per and fill a huge need as a physical 2nd line C.

I wouldnt mind seeing Roy, Laich, Adam and Goose as the centers next year
Not realistic at all, actually. Washington has made no bones about Laich being one of their top priorities. With Semin now signed, and thereby providing more clarity to their cap situation next year, Laich will soon follow. I'd bet my bottom dollar he never makes it to July 1.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 10:41 PM
Pengo

What if we traded a something of minimal value to NYR in the offseason for Drury and their 1st? Drury only has one season left at $5M actual salary. He has a NMC but he would probably waive it to go back to Buffalo (I think).

I think it's worth considering if we miss out on Ehrhoff and Pitkanen. Other than Richards and Laich, there aren't really any great UFA centers.

Maybe Drury just needs a change of scenery?

Old
01-27-2011, 11:46 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Is Tim Connolly gonna be the best available UFA this summer?

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 08:51 AM
Zip15

Quote:
What if we traded a something of minimal value to NYR in the offseason for Drury and their 1st? Drury only has one season left at $5M actual salary. He has a NMC but he would probably waive it to go back to Buffalo (I think).

I think it's worth considering if we miss out on Ehrhoff and Pitkanen. Other than Richards and Laich, there aren't really any great UFA centers.

Maybe Drury just needs a change of scenery?
I've said it before, but I think a Hecht-for-Drury+ swap makes some sense. We're not near the cap ceiling, and likely won't be next year, so Drury's $7.05 cap hit isn't nearly as damaging, and he only makes $5 mil next season, the last season of his contract. Drury has only 4 pts in 21 games, but he's been injured and he's receiving under 10 mins/game in ESTOI, and he gets minimal PP time (0:48/game). Drury would see more ice time in Buffalo, including time on the 2nd PP unit. Buffalo has the depth on the LW to withstand Hecht's loss; Vanek, Ennis, Gerbe, McCormick, and Adam can play there. Buffalo could also get a head start on re-signing Drury at a more palatable next contract, likely something in the $2-$2.5 mil range.

NYR does it because of the almost $3.5 mil in cap relief they get in this deal. The Rangers, who tend to spend close to the cap, could use that extra space, especially with the amount of prime RFA's they need to get re-signed--Callahan, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Boyle, Sauer, and Gilroy--in conjunction with their likely pursuit of Richards, if he's available. Hecht's PK skills are at least on par with Drury's, so they don't really lose much of anything that Drury excels at.

The operative question is what else would the Rangers be willing to give up in that deal, because Buffalo would not and should not do that deal straight up. Hecht is cheaper, provides significant cap relief, and, at least right now, is the better player. Would they give up a 3rd in 2011? A 2nd in 2012?

Old
01-28-2011, 09:02 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I've said it before, but I think a Hecht-for-Drury+ swap makes some sense. We're not near the cap ceiling, and likely won't be next year, so Drury's $7.05 cap hit isn't nearly as damaging, and he only makes $5 mil next season, the last season of his contract. Drury has only 4 pts in 21 games, but he's been injured and he's receiving under 10 mins/game in ESTOI, and he gets minimal PP time (0:48/game). Drury would see more ice time in Buffalo, including time on the 2nd PP unit. Buffalo has the depth on the LW to withstand Hecht's loss; Vanek, Ennis, Gerbe, McCormick, and Adam can play there. Buffalo could also get a head start on re-signing Drury at a more palatable next contract, likely something in the $2-$2.5 mil range.

NYR does it because of the almost $3.5 mil in cap relief they get in this deal. The Rangers, who tend to spend close to the cap, could use that extra space, especially with the amount of prime RFA's they need to get re-signed--Callahan, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Boyle, Sauer, and Gilroy--in conjunction with their likely pursuit of Richards, if he's available. Hecht's PK skills are at least on par with Drury's, so they don't really lose much of anything that Drury excels at.

The operative question is what else would the Rangers be willing to give up in that deal, because Buffalo would not and should not do that deal straight up. Hecht is cheaper, provides significant cap relief, and, at least right now, is the better player. Would they give up a 3rd in 2011? A 2nd in 2012?

Is the Drury we get back anywhere near the player we had in 06-07 or will he be another Rivet? I'm guessing closer to another Rivet.

Do we need a 35 year old (his age next season) 5mil center who had only 14g 32pts last year and has injury issues this year?

I'd rather keep Hecht. He may not be an offensive dynamo but he is a better overall player than Drury is right now and he makes less. I would also rather see the kids (Adam, Byron) get a chance at center than Drury being brought back.

Last edited by joshjull: 01-28-2011 at 09:08 AM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 09:10 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Is the Drury we get back anywhere near the player we had in 06-07 or will he be another Rivet? I'm guessing closer to another Rivet.

Do we need a 35 year old, 5+mil center who had only 14g 32pts last year and has injury issues this year?

I'd rather keep Hecht. He may not be an offensive dynamo but he is a better overall player than Drury is right now and he makes less. I would also rather see the kids (Adam, Byron) get a chance at center than Drury being brought back.
I don't necessarily disagree. I was only saying it'd make some sense. Also, the Rangers would absolutely have to add, but if they threw in a likely top-50 pick in 2012, I might be game. The evaluators would have to decide if Drury is just a wretched fit in New York, or if he's lost his game completely. If it's the latter, then I'd be less willing to make the move.

Also, I don't think Drury's presence would foreclose Byron and Adam playing center. I still get the feeling that Adam projects more as a NHL LW than a C, but time will tell on that one. Also, we'll need to see more out of Byron this season and next.

Old
01-28-2011, 09:48 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I don't necessarily disagree. I was only saying it'd make some sense. Also, the Rangers would absolutely have to add, but if they threw in a likely top-50 pick in 2012, I might be game. The evaluators would have to decide if Drury is just a wretched fit in New York, or if he's lost his game completely. If it's the latter, then I'd be less willing to make the move.
I think the issues goes beyond that a bit. He wouldn't be walking back into a team loaded with offensive talent like the one he left. A large part of his offensive success (and others) was the depth of talent the team had back then. He was avery good goal scorer and the player that played a large role in his goal scoirng on the PP and late in games was Briere. Obviously he is no longer here.

His salary is also an issue. Drury, while making 8mil last year put up the kind of numbers Goose has the last 3 seasons. Excpet Goose makes far less than Drury (2.5mil). 5mil for next season is still way too much for what he brings at this stage of his career.

I'd rather have Goose play as the 3rd line center than bring Drury back at this point.

Quote:
Also, I don't think Drury's presence would foreclose Byron and Adam playing center. I still get the feeling that Adam projects more as a NHL LW than a C, but time will tell on that one. Also, we'll need to see more out of Byron this season and next
I'm not sure Adam or Byron will even be in the lineup next year. I'm just saying if I was going to take a gamble on something. I'd rather see what they can do than bring back Drury. The same holds true for my earlier comment on prefering Goose to Drury as the 3rd line center. If I had to pick between them, I'd rather go with Goose. But he isn't my preference or first choice to be our 3rd line center.

I think Drury is a shell of the player we had in 06-07 and his salary is very out of whack with what he can bring to the table at this point.

Old
01-28-2011, 12:23 PM
ColonelForbin

Pavelski would be an excellent fit between Hecht and Pominville.

He has speed, playmaking ability, and seemingly some decent leadership qualities. A lot of the things Briere brought to that line, when it was among the best even strength lines in the league.

Any thoughts on his availability and what it would cost to get him?

San Jose and Buffalo do have a history of making trades.

ColonelForbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 12:34 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
Pavelski would be an excellent fit between Hecht and Pominville.

He has speed, playmaking ability, and seemingly some decent leadership qualities. A lot of the things Briere brought to that line, when it was among the best even strength lines in the league.

Any thoughts on his availability and what it would cost to get him?

San Jose and Buffalo do have a history of making trades.
interesting

Maybe Stafford +

Old
01-28-2011, 12:34 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:

Unless it was a top 5 pick, I would make that trade. Maybe try and get a 2nd or 3rd back though.

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

I wonder if San Jose fans would consider this offer:

to San Jose:
Jochen Hecht
Andrej Sekera
2011 BUF 2nd Round Pick

to Buffalo:
Joe Pavelski

The Sharks seem to have an extra top 6 forward with the emergence of Logan Couture, but they lack defensive forwards. A lot of their bottom 6 players are either young guys with lots of offensive potential but haven't put it together yet, or old guys like Nichol or Mayers who are probably on their way out. I think Jochen Hecht could anchor their bottom 6 for the next couple years, and still put up 35-45 points for them. He's a guy who can flourish on any line.

Sekera would help with their defense situation. I don't know what the issue is, but from what I've read from Sharks fans on the main board, their defense isn't that good. Sekera could probably help with that. He's young, has offensive potential, and is becoming a lot better in his own end this year.

The Sharks have almost $23 mil locked up in their top 3 forwards (Thornton, Heatley and Marleau) for the next 4 years. Pavelski makes as much as Derek Roy, so they might be looking to move him so they can use that money to add more depth to their line-up. Couture's gonna be getting a big raise soon anyway.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 12:48 PM
ColonelForbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
interesting

Maybe Stafford +
Pretty realistic move that improves their depth. Then ideally they could sign or trade for a more veteran third line center to give Adam more time in Portland if he needs it.

Ennis-Roy-Vanek
Hecht-Pavelski-Pominville
Gerbe-Adam-Kassian
McCormick-Gaustad-Kaleta

Last edited by ColonelForbin: 01-28-2011 at 12:59 PM.
ColonelForbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 12:16 PM
Dabs21Nike

I can't see the Sharks moving Pavelski, but as many have pointed out, it might make sense for them financially. I wonder if something like Stafford, Sekera, and a 2nd would interest them. I think Stafford would be better chip than Hecht. Stafford could thrive out there playing with guys like Heatley, Marleau, or Thornton. Sekera would improve their defense corps by giving them a puck moving defenseman who could eventually replace Boyle. Pavelski would be the perfect 1B center for us IMO.

Dabs21Nike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 12:28 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

One cheap way to do things would be to rebuild the bottom six. Sign a guy like Talbot and keep Ellis on the roster as the 13th forward.

Gerbe-Gaustad-McCormick
Kaleta-Talbot-Kassian

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 01:01 PM
Pengo

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Sign a guy like Talbot
Talbot would be great. He sounds like a fan favorite though, so I'm not sure if Pittsburgh would let him go. Here's a thread I found on the Penguins board about him: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=864936

As for other centers, maybe Marcel Goc?

Old
01-29-2011, 09:31 PM
Pengo

Also, I think we should sign a #2 left-handed d-man to play with Myers. Right now our D is alright but we don't really have a real #2.

Pitkanen, Kaberle, and Ehrhoff are probably the three best available, but here are some others:

Ed Jovanovski
Bryan McCabe
Eric Brewer (someone else mentioned him... more of a defensive d-man)
Andrei Markov (Montreal might not want to bring him back because of his injuries... may be worth taking a chance on)
Andy Greene (no one really talks about him because NJ isn't good this season... but he was great last season)
Roman Hamrlik