HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Hunter Shinkaruk - Medicine Hat Tigers, WHL (2013, 24th overall, Vancouver)

Old
01-26-2011, 09:07 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
LW Hunter Shinkaruk - Medicine Hat Tigers, WHL (2013, 24th overall, Vancouver)

This 16 year old rookie for the Medicine Hat Tiger is having a brilliant season, and should be a top candidate for rookie of the year in the WHL.

Already this season he has 31 points in 39 games as a 16 year old. Tough feat for the WHL.

He also played very good for Team Pacific at the World Under 17 challenge recently. On the Bronze winning squad he had 5 goals and 9 points in 6 games.

Because of his late birthday he is also not eligible until the 2013 year.

Average size right now standing 5'10 and weighing in at 160. Probably could be expected to grow another 2 inches atleast. Very good skater with good top end speed and amazing hands.

Last edited by R S: 03-25-2013 at 11:49 AM.
R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 11:51 PM
bsmith14

vCash: 500

ya id say he has room to grow lol

Last edited by bsmith14: 01-27-2011 at 05:30 PM.
bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 11:54 PM
hfboardsuser

He's a wonderful player who I profiled for McKeen's during the WHL pre-season. He really reminds me a ton of Patrick Kane.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:57 AM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 50
I just heard about him from a friend who got cross-checked from behind from this guy

Those are excellent stats for a 16YR old

Kid could be a player.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:00 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Watched him again tonight and made a point to watch his play defensively.

Was very aware and very smart defensively. Good stick and body positioning and even won a few battles against bigger, older and stronger forwards just because of his smarts.

This kid is like Pat Kane to me. Very shifty, quick, smart and has quick hands.

I have no doubts that this kid will be the WHL's top prospect for 2013.

Old
02-17-2011, 12:23 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Is that a liter skinned version of Phil Kessel?

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 02:06 PM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Is that a liter skinned version of Phil Kessel?
I didn't know there was a lighter shade of 'see-through'.

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 02:57 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post

Was very aware and very smart defensively. Good stick and body positioning and even won a few battles against bigger, older and stronger forwards just because of his smarts.

Why would you bother making a point of watching his D play? His play in that zone of the ice at this point from a future standpoint is basically pointless. I wouldn't think anyone from an NHL projection standpoint would care about it right now ; it can be taught. Just a weird thing to wonder about right now.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 03:02 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Why would you bother making a point of watching his D play? His play in that zone of the ice at this point from a future standpoint is basically pointless. I wouldn't think anyone from an NHL projection standpoint would care about it right now ; it can be taught. Just a weird thing to wonder about right now.
You need to scout all aspects of a player's game?

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 03:09 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Ummm...to see how well he thinks the game? To see how aware he is? To see how responsible he is? To see if he can match up physically when trying to cover bigger, older and stronger players?

Pretty obvious there bud. Players with good defensive tendencies at the age of 16 are worth a mention, don't ya think?

Old
02-18-2011, 03:19 PM
SenzZen

Quote:

Even though he got out-scored by his Team Pacific teammate? A defenseman that hits and fights?

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 04:45 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Ummm...to see how well he thinks the game? To see how aware he is? To see how responsible he is? To see if he can match up physically when trying to cover bigger, older and stronger players?

Pretty obvious there bud. Players with good defensive tendencies at the age of 16 are worth a mention, don't ya think?
I think you can determine how well he thinks the game by watching his Offensive play.

Im just saying i think it's weird that you went out of your way to observe such tendancies. His defensive abilities are almost irrelevant right now in determining how high end of a prospect he is for the future.

Maybe its just me, but i find it odd that we're even discussing his play in his own zone, seems rather needless right now.

Old
02-18-2011, 04:59 PM
prongertheman9

Quote:
I think you can determine how well he thinks the game by watching his Offensive play.

Im just saying i think it's weird that you went out of your way to observe such tendancies. His defensive abilities are almost irrelevant right now in determining how high end of a prospect he is for the future.

Maybe its just me, but i find it odd that we're even discussing his play in his own zone, seems rather needless right now.
He is a 16 year old playing major junior, he isn't a 13 year old playing Peewee, of course his defensive play is relevant. Is Sean Couturier's defensive play irrelevant too then?

prongertheman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 05:33 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:

It is just you..

I can guarantee you that scouts watching him play these days in the WHL are paying pretty close attention to how he handles himself defensively in a league known to be tight checking.

Why would it be considered irrelevant at this point in time?

Players grow and mature offensively, just like they do defensively. You are clueless.

Old
04-20-2011, 02:13 PM
Beerfest*

5 or so years ago when I was playing in Bantam, we were able to call up players from Peewee 1. Hunter was on that team, it was kinda of unfair for teams we played though, haha, he was always the best player on the ice and he was playing against kids 2-3 years older then him.

Ive known him since he was very young through hockey. He used to skate with the Calgary Hitmen sometimes during warmup. Theres a picture of him when he was 2-3 years old standing with the Hitmen around their net. If you google image Hunter Shinkaruk 1997 it should be the second picture.

He seems to be doing good so far these playoffs, 4 goals, 5 assists in 10 games.

As said above he has a late birthday so hes not eligibile until the 2013 draft, so he will have two more years to develop before then.

Last edited by Beerfest*: 04-20-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Beerfest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:06 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfest View Post
5 or so years ago when I was playing in Bantam, we were able to call up players from Peewee 1. Hunter was on that team, it was kinda of unfair for teams we played though, haha, he was always the best player on the ice and he was playing against kids 2-3 years older then him.

Ive known him since he was very young through hockey. He used to skate with the Calgary Hitmen sometimes during warmup. Theres a picture of him when he was 2-3 years old standing with the Hitmen around their net. If you google image Hunter Shinkaruk 1997 it should be the second picture.

He seems to be doing good so far these playoffs, 4 goals, 5 assists in 10 games.

As said above he has a late birthday so hes not eligibile until the 2013 draft, so he will have two more years to develop before then.

?

Also, wtf? Is that thing on the side of his skate the grafs logo? He is like 3 years old and his skates are grafs? His dad must be rich, holy batman.

bcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:27 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

This guy plays exactly like Patrick Kane, next year hes gonna light it up, after that he'll be in the top 5 in scoring prior to his draft year.

This guy spent like 90% of his time playing hockey growing up, in the 10% was School and Life. My cousin knows people that played with him/against and had the same tryouts with him. Look at his videos on youtube, you'll see.

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:35 PM
bsmith14

35G 40A 75PT season for Hunter next year maybe?!

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:56 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
35G 40A 75PT season for Hunter next year maybe?!
Would not be shocked at all.

Looking back at this thread it's funny to see the mini argument I had with that guy talking about Hunter's defensive play.

Old
04-21-2011, 03:35 PM
Beerfest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post

?

Also, wtf? Is that thing on the side of his skate the grafs logo? He is like 3 years old and his skates are grafs? His dad must be rich, holy batman.
Yea, thats the picture.

His father is a dentist/Calgary Hitmens's dentist.

Beerfest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 04:01 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Would not be shocked at all.

Looking back at this thread it's funny to see the mini argument I had with that guy talking about Hunter's defensive play.
It is funny, because of course it such a pointless facet to discuss at this time. The level of his Defensive game is at this point not really a warranted discussion, what is far more important is assessing his natural skills.

Anyway, based on his statistics this year, i'd be highly suprised if he wasn't a very high pick in 2013.

Old
04-21-2011, 04:14 PM
Breakfast of Champs

is there anyone else in the chl putting up these kind of numbers that's not eligible until 2013? If not this guy has a pretty good case for 1st overall atm. I mean most elite prospects for his draft class are still in midget and who knows how they will translate to the chl or whatever level they decide to play at next. I'm not saying guys like mackinnon and lazar won't put up good numbers but there is a chance they won't, and this guy has already proven he can produce at the chl level and will most likely continue to improve and grow

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 04:32 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfest View Post
Yea, thats the picture.

His father is a dentist/Calgary Hitmens's dentist.
How big is his dad? One thing that may hold Hunter back is his size.

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 06:30 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

top 5 awesome name for sure

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 06:32 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnman10 View Post
is there anyone else in the chl putting up these kind of numbers that's not eligible until 2013? If not this guy has a pretty good case for 1st overall atm. I mean most elite prospects for his draft class are still in midget and who knows how they will translate to the chl or whatever level they decide to play at next. I'm not saying guys like mackinnon and lazar won't put up good numbers but there is a chance they won't, and this guy has already proven he can produce at the chl level and will most likely continue to improve and grow
Very true, this kid will be a star.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote