HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

The Everything To Do With Travel Thread

Old
01-25-2011, 10:44 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunpk View Post
I want to move across the country. But I have no money and I suck at life.
lol that's a good way to look at things.

I think it would be super easy to move across the country. You just need some money in the bank or you have to grab a loan. It would be better to find a job and/or school before you leave.

I would have left home a long time ago if I didn't have a girlfriend. She's not holding me back now, I'd rather be with her now than live elsewhere, but if I wasn't with her I would definitely be on the road somewhere.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 11:46 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
I would have left home a long time ago if I didn't have a girlfriend. She's not holding me back now, I'd rather be with her now than live elsewhere, but if I wasn't with her I would definitely be on the road somewhere.
I was in the same boat about a year and a half ago - I tagged along with friends who were moving to Nova Scotia and stuck around with them for the better part of two weeks and helped them set up their new place, and decided that if I was still single and unemployed and had nothing tying me to Ottawa by mid winter (four months away at the time), I'd put in my 60 days' notice for my apartment and move to Halifax in the spring. Then a sexy French-Canadian came along, and employment soon followed

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 11:53 AM
BigT2002

Australia probably in December. One trip I really want to do, and one of 2 continents I haven't been on.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 12:21 PM
Aaaaaron

All this travel talk is making me think of taking a sabbatical from work.

I'd love to go back to South America or try Asia for months on end. What route do you guys go for funds? Cash advances on credit cards? Travelers cheques?

Aaaaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
I was in the same boat about a year and a half ago - I tagged along with friends who were moving to Nova Scotia and stuck around with them for the better part of two weeks and helped them set up their new place, and decided that if I was still single and unemployed and had nothing tying me to Ottawa by mid winter (four months away at the time), I'd put in my 60 days' notice for my apartment and move to Halifax in the spring. Then a sexy French-Canadian came along, and employment soon followed
Sometimes, love makes your plans for you...

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 01:41 PM
dogbazinho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaaaaron View Post

I'd love to go back to South America or try Asia for months on end. What route do you guys go for funds? Cash advances on credit cards? Travelers cheques?
In South America I carry a bit of cash on me in one of those travel belt jobs, and a bit in the wallet. However I've never had a problem in Brazil or Peru withdrawing money with an ATM card or using it as a debit/credit card. You probably should check with your bank.

dogbazinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 02:19 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaaaaron View Post

Straight from the bank with the debit card is the best route, I find about half of the banks work for me, but there are three or four main ones that will work. $3-5 bank fee, but that is lower than any comission off of credit cards or travellers checks. Just pull out the maximum and safeguard your cash at the hostel or in your bag.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 02:58 PM
Aaaaaron

I used my credit card last time I was in Peru and it worked not bad. Max of $500/day, I think it was $5 transaction fee and then of course the daily interest. It was also nice since it provided some peace of mind.

I'll have to ask my bank what they can offer with my debit card...although it would still be nice to collect travel points on my Visa while travelling.

Aaaaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 10:52 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTClikeCandy View Post
Take in a soccer game if you can.
So, I went to a game already, first night here. It did not disappoint. They are having the Santander Copa right now, which I guess is like the South American Champions League equivalent. It was Sao Paulo Corinthians against Tolima(A Colombian team). Great atmosphere, because its so far away from Colombia, it was filled with all Corinthian fans. Such a good time. Brazilian soccer fans are insane. I heard **** and ***** more times tonight than the rest of my trip, hahaha.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote