HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Capitals magic turnover

Old
01-25-2011, 04:27 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

vCash: 500
Capitals magic turnover

Devils fan coming in peace.

I have a serious question. Most of hockey fans all over the world have last year`s Washington Capitals in their mind as offensive powerhouse with...well...not much of a defensive system. Boudreau was blamed for not giving this team what it needs to make a deep run into the POs. Right now, it seems like many things changed drastically. You`re almost constantly playing more than solid defense, your offense is more of a hard work instead of puck possesion in opponent`s zone (more than it used to be). Most of the players concentrate on two-way play and safe defensive coverage much more than last year, Ovie included. I assume Ovie has not only less points overall but amount of shots per game too, same for Backstrom.

Questions are simple: Who (Boudreau all by himself or any new members of coaching staff?) Why (reasons are obvious, I mean...why now, not sooner?)? How (so radically, so fast)?

Thanks for all answers, appreciate that.

OT: I still think Devils won`t make the POs this year, so Capitals and Bruins will be my picks for East. I really hope you get to the final. Good luck folks.

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 04:56 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
Questions are simple: Who (Boudreau all by himself or any new members of coaching staff?) Why (reasons are obvious, I mean...why now, not sooner?)? How (so radically, so fast)?
If you ask the real fans, it's because Boudreau is a great coach that adjusted to the lack of scoring talent on the roster. If you ask the haters they will tell you Boudreau went into full trapping mode because he was about to get fired during that losing streak.

Pick whichever answer you like.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 04:56 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

They first wanted to change the PK, somewhat radically, from the get-go. Much more aggressive and it worked (I think everyone can agree to that, to varying degrees).

Then they lost the ability to score goals (December onward, I suppose). Their top line became impotent. The PP as well. The second line consisted only of Semin and he got sick, then disappeared, then got injured. With all that in mind Boudreau had to start them trapping.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 05:16 PM
piercehannigan

Hey man. I hope the Devils give the Flyers, Pens and Rangers a run for their money and somehow hop into the playoffs.

piercehannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 05:47 PM
WingmanCD

I think the absolute heartbreak of the collapse against Montreal and the unprecedented losing streak went a long way in "scaring" players into adapting to newer systems a lot quicker than they might have otherwise.

WingmanCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 11:03 PM
Mickstix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
If you ask the real fans, it's because Boudreau is a great coach that adjusted to the lack of scoring talent on the roster..
"Real fans" huh.. lol ok..

Fact is, the team lost in the playoffs last year for the same reason they're struggling this year.. Lack of scoring goals when playing against a "trap".. Why BB decided they needed to go full defense mode, instead of doing some real coaching and come up with some inovative ways to beat a trap, is most likely because he doesnt have any ideas on how to do so..

BTW, the "real fans" are hoping to god he actually does have an answer to our problems, and will figure it out in the next 30 something games, but only time will tell.. Safe bets are we'll enter the playoffs and flip a coin every game to see who wins by 1 in overtime..

Mickstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 11:25 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickstix View Post
"Real fans" huh.. lol ok..

Fact is, the team lost in the playoffs last year for the same reason they're struggling this year.. Lack of scoring goals when playing against a "trap".. Why BB decided they needed to go full defense mode, instead of doing some real coaching and come up with some inovative ways to beat a trap, is most likely because he doesnt have any ideas on how to do so..

BTW, the "real fans" are hoping to god he actually does have an answer to our problems, and will figure it out in the next 30 something games, but only time will tell.. Safe bets are we'll enter the playoffs and flip a coin every game to see who wins by 1 in overtime..
This has nothing to do with what's going on this year.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 11:43 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Yes and no. Trapping teams put the burden on the Caps to play a more composed, savvy and structured team game offensively to earn their time & space. Those same issues occur against teams that don't necessarily trap but do play a pretty packed in game in terms of team defense. This team struggles when they're forced to rely more on a sustained offensive attack rather than transition or exploiting other team's mistakes in the neutral zone or at their attacking blueline. There has yet to be a sufficient adjustment in their game in that regard. They're taking on many of the same qualities of a stout team defense but offensively they just don't do enough of a consistent job of creating room by virtue of puck distribution, protection and coordinated attacking.

Last edited by Langway: 01-26-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 11:44 AM
Duke33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Agreed. And I find it interesting that people keep calling what Montreal did "a trap", considering the puck was in the Habs zone almost constantly and the Caps were getting high numbers in shots every game.

A trap defense doesn't even let you through the neutral zone adequately, let alone control the play game after game and keep the puck in the offensive zone like the Caps were.

Duke33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 05:11 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Yes and no. Trapping teams put the burden on the Caps to play a more composed, savvy and structured team game offensively to earn their time & space. Those same issues occur against teams that don't necessarily trap but do play a pretty packed in game in terms of team defense. This team struggles when they're forced to rely more on a sustained offensive attack rather than transition or exploiting other team's mistakes in the neutral zone or at their attacking blueline. There has yet to be a sufficient adjustment in their game in that regard. They're taking on many of the same qualities of a stout team defense but offensively they just don't do enough of a consistent job of creating room by virtue of puck distribution, protection and coordinated attacking.
yes, but that's been the problem all along, that's not something that's changed to make us worse, as was alluded in the post I was originally referencing.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:52 AM
Mickstix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molseed View Post
Agreed. And I find it interesting that people keep calling what Montreal did "a trap", considering the puck was in the Habs zone almost constantly and the Caps were getting high numbers in shots every game.

A trap defense doesn't even let you through the neutral zone adequately, let alone control the play game after game and keep the puck in the offensive zone like the Caps were.
A trapping team, also continues the theory inside their defensive zone.. Forcing the opp to dump the puck, keeping play along the boards and forcing you to shoot from the primeter, while clogging the shooting lanes and not giving up high percentage shots.. That's what Montreal did to us, and what most teams are still doing to us this year..

Mickstix is offline   Reply With Quote