HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Pierre Mcguire thinks LA has to be aggressive at the deadline

Old
01-27-2011, 07:16 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50

on TGOR (ottawa sports morning show) just now.

heads up, in case you're interested. I'll post a link here to the interview once the podcast is available.

He didnt want to mention names, but said that in order to take the next step, LA has to be aggressive, and maybe even drive the market this year.

on a side note, pierre ignored my sens question.

edit - link: http://devel.autopod.ca/podcasts/chu...013%20CFGO.mp3

kings stuff is the first question IIRC.

Last edited by danishh: 01-27-2011 at 08:06 AM.
danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 07:18 AM
kingsholygrail
Hail HYDRA!

vCash: 500
Pierre Mcguire doesn't know the Kings GM is Dean Lombardi does he?

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 07:32 AM
Orenji

Of course we do.

A team with a +19 GD, who has great defense, a pretty good offense, and a great goalie (when he isn't leaving in a soft one) should not be outside the playoffs at the ASG break.

The Kings need a game breaker. Kopitar is great, and he can do that, but he hasn't been the one to break close games in the 3rd or get us back into it. We need someone with him that can win games or we can count on to score when we really need it.

I remember seeing Nash, months ago, beat us in a tie game in the 3rd with three minutes left and going, 'That's what we need.' A guy that can drive down the ice and go for the win.

Problem is, the trade deadline is going to be HELL. Literally. Fourteen teams in the west are still in it. The Flames will even be buyers if they don't fall off right after the ASG.

This means that there will only be a few gems to be had. The Oilers will probably be sellers and so will be the lower east teams, but since the demand is so high and the supply so low, they'll be asking for starters for their best players.

Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 07:34 AM
KingLB

Not to mention your "average" trade deadline trade does nothing to help the Kings. There really is no "hole" in the Kings line-up that can be filled by anyone that isn't a superstar. Sooooo that combined with DL and the reemergence of the Flames leads me to believe the Kings will do nothing at the deadline, because really there is nothing they can do to improve their lineup. Like adding a "playoff vet" or a "quality depth grinder".

Edit: Forgot about Penner, but his availability(who knows if he will be available or not) and the fact that its very likely there is a bidding war makes me think its not likely.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 07:42 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
you guys need to lose more games in OT/SO rather than regulation. Only team in the west with less than 4 loser points

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 08:41 AM
kingsholygrail
Hail HYDRA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
you guys need to lose more games in OT/SO rather than regulation. Only team in the west with less than 4 loser points
I thought HF would be proud of the Kings for that. Not being carried by the loser point.

But yeah, the only times they seem to get the games into OT, they win in the SO.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 08:45 AM
BigBrown
They did it!

I'd prefer not to go crazy this season unless what we acquire are long term options. No rentals please.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 08:49 AM
SuperAlmeida

SuperAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 09:09 AM
Capn Brown

I think Pierre Mcguire needs to be aggressive regarding hair implants.

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post

This is absolutely true. There've been 8 or 9 games where it looked as if the Kings weren't even trying to compete, even games that were close at the end. With 8 or 9 more points, we'd be in the thick of things.

Last edited by Capn Brown: 01-27-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old
01-27-2011, 09:13 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
The Kings need a game breaker.

Toffoli? Can we all wait that long?

Old
01-27-2011, 09:52 AM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

... I'm ... I'm getting a feeling here ... a thought that I should not pay this much mind. I wonder what caused this feeling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
Quote:
Pierre Mcguire thinks LA has to be aggressive
Quote:
Pierre Mcguire
... Oh OK, it's clear to me now.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 10:10 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Thanks for passing news along but Pierre Maguire is a retard. The Kings need to sink or swim on their own. I don't mind adding a depth player but no need to shoot your wad this year. If the core that has been a big part of the Kings slide can't get them there, no player is going to fix that besides themselves.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 10:17 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

This is why I'm glad Pierre MacGuire isn't in a head office somewhere. No forethought at all. I know LA is better than their record suggests, but we are a team that is nip and tuck to even make the playoffs and have teams like the Wings and Canucks to get through even if we make it. As well, as others have said, it's not like we are a few depth veterans away from a cup run, we are lacking one true, bonafide sniper, a goalscorer that can net 40 a season, like a Gaborik, Heatley, Semin, Kovalchuk, etc.

I'd like Pierre to point which teams are trading those types of players and just what he expects to give up from LA to get them. The teams that have those types are in the playoffs already and even if they would trade a guy like that, they'd want core players to move him, which would just leave us more holes to fill. Additionally, since a lot of our guys are signed to at or below market salaries, and anyone we trade for in all likeihood will be above market price, we'd likely have less money to fill those new holes with.

Unless Pierre somehow knows a team would trade us a Nash-type player for kids like Voynov, Hickey, etc, I don't get where his logic is. Maybe someone should hand him the standings page from the newspaper so he can see which team he is talking about.

I can't stand that guy, he's to me what Newman was to Seinfeld.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 10:21 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
Toffoli? Can we all wait that long?
that's a few to many years to wait. Sadly, I expect Toffoli to never wear a Kings jersey in the NHL. I see him being a guy we trade to make an off-season/deadline deal in the next two seasons.

Old
01-27-2011, 10:26 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Thanks for passing news along but Pierre Maguire is a retard. The Kings need to sink or swim on their own. I don't mind adding a depth player but no need to shoot your wad this year. If the core that has been a big part of the Kings slide can't get them there, no player is going to fix that besides themselves.
This. I've been saying all along that I think we do another Purcell and a 3rd for vet checker type trade this year. Something small, but something for management to hang their hat on and say "see, we did something."

Next year is the year we better start betting the farm a little bit.

Old
01-27-2011, 10:40 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Every single year since Lombardi took control and started building through the draft and acquiring prospects, we have been predicted to be the most active and to lead the league in the trading department, but everytime we don't. It is not how DL operates. If the deal is there, he will do it, but I think if the prices are too high, Dean puts his hands in his pockets and whistles away till the offseason.

"I think part of his game is hes over aggressive at times, which I like. Well tame that. Id rather tame a lion than paint stripes on the kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi discussing Brayden McNabb
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 10:42 AM
AKAY47
Philly West Fan

Team 1200

But Pierre McGuire's an idiot, I can't stand him

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 10:45 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Team 1200

But Pierre McGuire's an idiot, I can't stand him
my opinion would be the opposite.

team 1200 are idiots. Pierre McGuire is not.
unless you're judging mcguire by his TV persona, in which case you should probably tune in to his segments on the team more regularly.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 10:47 AM
AKAY47
Philly West Fan

Quote:

unless you're judging mcguire by his TV persona, in which case you should probably tune in to his segments on the team more regularly.
Yeah lol, team 1200 are definitely idiots and I'm talking about McGuire on TSN/NBC; his voice just really irritates me and how he thinks he knows everything. He's a joke lol

Kypreos is the man

Old
01-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

vCash: 863
Quote:

Exactly

Pierre is my favorite part of the draft. I can't tell you how many times he has mention "The Kings are probably going to take (player) and then they do.
Even though he is a creepy goofball, his insight in the game and what is going on behind the scenes is nothing short of amazing.

Julius Caesar Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 10:58 AM
AKAY47
Philly West Fan

LOL McGuire saying Phillips for Bernier can be option, what a ****ing joke. That just shows how big of an idiot this guy is, then goes on and says "D" is one of our biggest problems.. HUH? We have such a solid D when healthy, Martinez is getting better every single game, we don't need Chris Phillips and his contract is expiring? Especially not if the cost is Bernier lmao

Old
Ollie Weeks

His jokes are bad, his commentary persona is irritating, but that doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AKAY47
Philly West Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Exactly

Pierre is my favorite part of the draft. I can't tell you how many times he has mention "The Kings are probably going to take (player) and then they do.
Even though he is a creepy goofball, his insight in the game and what is going on behind the scenes is nothing short of amazing.
Not true.. It's usually Bob Mckenzie who says the Kings are probably going to take ... and they do.

Mckenzie > McGuire

Old
01-27-2011, 11:00 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
If the deal is there, he will do it, but I think if the prices are too high, Dean puts his hands in his pockets and whistles away till the offseason.
Where he will continue to whistle away.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote