HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NSH@VAN 01/26/2011 The "Ghetto Superstar" Edition

Old
01-27-2011, 12:59 AM
cleangene

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
We outplayed this team tonight and we lost. That's what happens when you don't finish. Too many chances and no goals. When you don't finish and then keep the Canucks in the game it's our own fault. Rinne played outstanding. The Jeckyll and Hyde comes back again with this team. But against a hot team in Calgary and good team in Van we score 1 goal against both. That doesn't get it done. The pp continues to be an embarrasment. That I don't understand with talents like Weber and Suter on the pp. That has to be coaching when the pp has been so bad for so long. We rely some much on the point shot that we are predictable.
AMEN TO EVERYTHING HERE.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:02 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
That I don't understand with talents like Weber and Suter on the pp. That has to be coaching when the pp has been so bad for so long. We rely some much on the point shot that we are predictable.
You answered your own question. None of our forwards remotely resemble a sniper (Erat on a rare occasion), and we have no QB. Weber is the only shot worth defending.

As someone pointed out earlier, Paul Kariya had the best PP production of his career under Trotz, and he was on the downside of his career then (and we ranked #10).

Goc, Legwand, Kosistyen, Erat, etc do not cut it as go-to powerplay players.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:08 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
You answered your own question. None of our forwards remotely resemble a sniper (Erat on a rare occasion), and we have no QB. Weber is the only shot worth defending.

As someone pointed out earlier, Paul Kariya had the best PP production of his career under Trotz, and he was on the downslide of his career then.
Yup, Kariya knew how to control the pp and open up opportunities for other players. And when he needed to he could snipe the damn thing. He could also control the point. We havent had a player like him since and you see how important that 1 player is. Radulov could of been that guy for us but hes out of the picture and Poile needs to realize this and go out and get that guy we have been searching for the last 3 seasons. We just simply wont do any damage in the postseason with a bad PP and no true firepower. It just wont happen

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:45 AM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post

As someone pointed out earlier, Paul Kariya had the best PP production of his career under Trotz, and he was on the downside of his career then (and we ranked #10).

Goc, Legwand, Kosistyen, Erat, etc do not cut it as go-to powerplay players.
Good points and we don't have a sniper so why don't we have plays...and in the past teams have plays on the power play...we don't ...that is obvious. on the pp it's not about snipers it's about recognition if they play you high like they do us then play the low game around the net and it's about moving the play around to set up the right shot. We don't do any of that. Suter should and is capable of quarterbacking this pp but not the way he's taught. He has great talent but under utilize. There's just no confidence at all on the pp. Nobody is confident enough to take puck off the side boards and go to the middle to make a play by going to the net.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:35 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Pekka played incredible. It's a shame no one else could score to help him get the win.

Ridiculous to be out-shot 31-15 for the last 2 periods, especially when Van. had 17 in the third period alone.

No team is going to care if they take penalties against us because that is just 2:00 guaranteed we don't score.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:39 AM
melfunction

Quote:
We outplayed this team tonight and we lost. That's what happens when you don't finish. Too many chances and no goals. When you don't finish and then keep the Canucks in the game it's our own fault. Rinne played outstanding. The Jeckyll and Hyde comes back again with this team. But against a hot team in Calgary and good team in Van we score 1 goal against both. That doesn't get it done. The pp continues to be an embarrasment. That I don't understand with talents like Weber and Suter on the pp. That has to be coaching when the pp has been so bad for so long. We rely some much on the point shot that we are predictable.
^ This.

Man, outplaying the number 1 team in the league for over 50 minutes, and losing to them by only 1 goal, is supposed to feel better than this. Especially when there are positives to take out of it like the excellent work by Rinne roseyc mentioned above.

But you can't be a true contender with as bad a power play as the preds have, and you can't give up leads like that! So disheartening. And to the Canucks, no less. Man do I ever hate that team. Really frustrating to go into the all-star break with that sour taste in your mouth. Ah well, high hopes for coming back strong and all rested up!

melfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 09:07 AM
PredsChik

I'm passing the torch, I think my mojo left when I fell last Friday. BLah.

It's so much more frustrating to lose in that fashion when it's a late game, at least when they **** the bed early, you feel safe going to sleep, I held out hope and in the end, I'm exhausted for it.

Time to come back home and face the Flamers again, I will have a sign on Calgary's side that reads "Cory Sarich is a piece of trash". I have better words but "trash" won't get me kicked out of the arena before the game even starts.

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 09:37 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I can't believe some of you "fans".

Do you realize that Vancouver has given up one goal or less to 5 of their last 6 opponents at home, including games against San Jose, Dallas and Detroit? Come on, we just went .500 on the last long road trip of the season and are sitting in 4th place in the conferce with almost 2:1 of our remaining schedule at home and having half of our preseason top 6 sitting on IR.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 09:47 AM
hatedandproud

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post

Do you realize that Vancouver has given up one goal or less to 5 of their last 6 opponents at home, including games against San Jose, Dallas and Detroit? Come on, we just went .500 on the last long road trip of the season and are sitting in 4th place in the conferce with almost 2:1 of our remaining schedule at home and having half of our preseason top 6 sitting on IR.
HOW DARE YOU HAVE SOME PERSPECTIVE!!!

hatedandproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 10:02 AM
biturbo19

Canucks fan just dropping by to say: Rinne was unreal tonight. And if the Preds had a bit more skill and finish up front, this game would've been a different story. A real 'goaltenders duel' and IMO, Rinne won it, but the offense just couldn't support him. Particuarly on the PP.

Also great to see SOB thriving.

Have to give the finger-wag on the defensive posture controlling the game. it's annoying... but it works. so credit where credit's due. Trotz is practically a magician working with what he has up front.

biturbo19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 10:24 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

All things considered equal we showed that we can hang with Vancouver. Granted most 'nucks fans think watching paint dry on the broadside of a barn is more exciting than our play style but considering our injuries and lineup, who cares.

Looking forward to the next game against them, which is usually not the case for myself when it comes to Vancouver.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 10:53 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Honestly I couldn't care less what fans of other teams think about our play style. It has us sitting in fourth in an ultra-competitive division in a season where injuries have continued to pile up at all positions. I read a comment about how last night's game looked like it would be another "annoying 1-0 game". This is hockey, folks. If you find defensive, low-scoring games boring you should watch basketball. Wait... no nevermind. You'll find those kinds of games in every sport. Maybe competitive eating?

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 11:05 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

It sucks to lose, but we did skate with the best team in the West for practically the entire night. Luongo is hot right now. Rinne matched him, and really outplayed him if you look at the vast difference in offensive capability.

Had Mueller or Halischuk been able to bury the puck into an open net (GREAT decision with the puck from Dumont on that play. Not very often one pass gives two tap-in scoring chances in half of a second) we're talking about a different outcome here.

A lot of things went uncalled, but I'm not really sure I can complain about it. We were given tons of power play opportunities, but could barely get shots through on most of them. The spear to the chest and then face of Ward should have easily been a match penalty. I doubt a suspension comes from it, because that would indicate the NHL is fair. Nothing has ever led me to believe that to be the case.

If I'm Hornqvist I'm telling the guys in the locker room that either they help me out when guys are gooning it up after a whistle or I stop taking a beating in front of the net all together. No one else on this team plays as hard as Hornqvist AND plants himself in front of the net with no regard for his own safety. Watching Hamhuis twice crosscheck Hornqvist over Luongo only to have another Canuck physically drag him across the ice made me sick. First of all, where was this intensity from that stupid ******* when he was in our colors. Second, how is it we get goalie interference calls when our guy is pushed, but they can't seem to find their whistles when blatant cross checks and roughs are going on virtually any time 27 is near the crease as a whistle blows. I understand protecting your goalie, but there are better ways to go about it. It won't stop until a Predator levels someone (laugh) or these refs start doing their jobs. Swallow your whistles for a trip or a small hook, not for violent plays like those. Or maybe Patric should run a goalie. If you're going to be a punching bag you might as well deserve it. Swallow your whistles for a trip or a small hook, not for violent plays like those.

/rant

Old
01-27-2011, 11:27 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:

I dont give a ripping rats butt about any of that...

blowing a lead like that produces a visceral reaction that makes me temporarily insane and want to tear up my tickets and burn them

I'll get over it, but thats the kind of fan I am.

you cerebral, analytical types deal with gut wrenching losses your way, I'll deal with them mine... but it doesnt make my fan status deserve quotation marks...

(and if you werent talking to me, trigg, excuse the insane rant from a still viscreally pissed off guy)

Last edited by PredsV82: 01-27-2011 at 12:02 PM.
PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:18 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I'll admit. After Vancouver tied it up I switched to the episode of The Daily Show I had recorded. Maybe it's because I couldn't stand the sight of Burrows celebrating. Maybe it was knowing that idiot with the "Hockey is Canada's Game" sign was happy, or knowing those two redneck-looking hecklers who kept putting the horribly made Canucks flag up to the glass trying to taunt our guys in the box were standing and cheering. I'm the same way you are, volde. When I saw the score was 2-1 I just muttered "typical" to myself and tried my best to forget we even played.

Old
01-27-2011, 02:45 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I dont give a ripping rats butt about any of that...

blowing a lead like that produces a visceral reaction that makes me temporarily insane and want to tear up my tickets and burn them

I'll get over it, but thats the kind of fan I am.

you cerebral, analytical types deal with gut wrenching losses your way, I'll deal with them mine... but it doesnt make my fan status deserve quotation marks...

(and if you werent talking to me, trigg, excuse the insane rant from a still viscreally pissed off guy)
Nah, wasn't talking to you...

Old
01-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
All things considered equal we showed that we can hang with Vancouver. Granted most 'nucks fans think watching paint dry on the broadside of a barn is more exciting than our play style but considering our injuries and lineup, who cares.

Looking forward to the next game against them, which is usually not the case for myself when it comes to Vancouver.
Not to mention Luongo has been possessed as of late. I say keeping it a 1 goal game against perhaps the best team in the league is a win, even if it was a loss.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 12:53 AM
roseyc

Quote:

Well the last two games were winable. If we score on the pp. I didn't realize the regular season was over and the 4th seed was locked up. Oh! it's not and so we could slide down like we did last year. Now this season has been a up and down for us so far and if that pattern continues are we going in the other direction now. I can't believe that you can't see that pp is going to be our achilles heel if not addressed. At this point in the season how can you tell who is the best team.

Old
01-28-2011, 08:52 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm sorry where in post did I say the pp wasn't an issue?

I just get tired of reading how awful we are from some of YOU.

Old
01-28-2011, 09:45 AM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
The PP is awful, no doubt. However, it has shown sparks of straightening itself up. Problem is, right now, we don't have 10 healthy PP "players", we have about 6 or 7. Losing Orly messed up the 2nd unit, losing Sully - he's our best sniper on the PP, and arguably our most potent scorer (yes, you can argue Shea, but we've seen where teams can take Shea away). Not saying they ought to get a pass, but if anyone thinks losing those guys hasn't had an impact.......

Plus, we'll get Svatos back, and he'll help.

I don't think we're gonna' have a top10 PP, but I don't think it's necessarily gonna' be a bottom 8 the rest of the way, either, if we can get a few guys healthy. If not, I don't think coaching is gonna' have squat to do with it, we simply can't field much beyond Shea, Co*y, Horny, Wilson, SK74, JP and prolly Marty as guys who REALLY should be on a PP unit.

Mr. Poile - how bout a "grebs" to slot in for cube?

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:01 AM
glenngineer

I think if we can get the power play % up to 16-17% we'd be in good shape. It wouldn't be amazing but it would be respectable. And when I say 16-17%, I mean a consistent percentage. We can't go games without it producing and then have a game where we score 2 or 3 to skew the percentage. If we can get 1 goal every 6 times on the PP consistently, teamed with our PK which is very good right now, we'll be in good shape.

By the way, I think our PP has looked better since O'Reilly and Sully have gone out. Wilson, SK and Horny look good on the first unit. I like Erat and Dumont on the second untit but Ward bothers me some on the second unit. I think using Legwand instead of Ward might produce better results as we'd have 3 good puck handlers/movers as opposed to just two. I also wouldn't mind seeing Suter and Weber out there for the bulk of the PP minutes on the point. Maybe mix in Franson with Suter from time to time but those two are our best at the point, if they can't play close to 1:30 each time they're out there, we have some conditioning issues. Other teams seem to do that with their top blue liners on the PP, we should do the same.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:16 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

at this point a unit of belak-mueller-halischick-klein-SOB can't do any worse....

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:22 AM
roseyc

Quote:
I'm sorry where in post did I say the pp wasn't an issue?

I just get tired of reading how awful we are from some of YOU.
Where did you read how awful we were. The bar has been set higher. We have great goaltending we have good defense with two star who are about to become superstars. We overcome early season problems with the pk and now its one of the best in the league since Spaling was inserted on that unit it has taken off. We have a could core of players like Smithson and Ward and Spaling who perform a great checking line. The injuries on this team have allowed players like Sk to be inserted in the lineup and flourish and now he one of our top scorers. The problems are like it always have been it''s with the offense. Especially the pp. Not one of our offensive players are even considered to be all stars. I think you are seeing frustration on our part looking at the offense and taking it as we don't like the team. we think we can be better is that a bad thing. All this team need is one more a legit sniper. The margin against good team is that slim.

Old
01-28-2011, 11:25 AM
PhoneGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
<snip>If I'm Hornqvist I'm telling the guys in the locker room that either they help me out when guys are gooning it up after a whistle or I stop taking a beating in front of the net all together. No one else on this team plays as hard as Hornqvist AND plants himself in front of the net with no regard for his own safety. Watching Hamhuis twice crosscheck Hornqvist over Luongo only to have another Canuck physically drag him across the ice made me sick. </snip>
+1. About the only one I ever see even try to intervene is SOB and sometimes Webs.

BTW, anyone heard any news about Ballard getting suspended for spearing Wardo?? Anyone?? Bueller?? Bueller??

Yeah, thought so.

PhoneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:28 AM
PhoneGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxClearTheCreasexx View Post
Not to mention Luongo has been possessed as of late. I say keeping it a 1 goal game against perhaps the best team in the league is a win, even if it was a loss.
You'd make a great Vanderbilt football fan.

PhoneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote