HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Eklund: Weighted Draft Info

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2005, 11:16 AM
KL*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-townchamps
there NEEDS to be a weighted lottery system....no way Colorado, Detroit, Toronto should have an equal chance at Crosby when these team consistanly make the playoff every year and go deep...
Uh, last time I checked, the league WANTS Crosby to go to a good team. Do you want Crosby scoring 140pts a year for the Hurricanes, a team with a miserable following and no playoff hopes? Or do you want him scoring 140pts for the Flyers, a team with a passionate following, and going deep in the playoffs every year.

The NHL is a business. It exists to make money, not to counteract everything you find unfair about living in a small city.

Old
07-08-2005, 11:17 AM
KL*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471
But since Columbus was the team to make that pick, doesn't it stand to reason that the pick would be accredited to them? If Florida had picked Nash and traded him to the BJ's, then the scenario you're describing makes sense, but my reading of the draft lottery is that whichever team picked first (i.e., Atlanta, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Washington) loses that single chance.
No.

Who actually picked is irrelevant. The point is who won the lottery and had that pick. If they traded it, they got something in return that they couldn't have gotten with the #2 pick.

Old
07-08-2005, 11:20 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanlambert
# of balls per team under this system...

3: NY Rangers, Columbus

2: Chicago, Minnesota, Calgary, Nashville

1: Philadelphia, New Jersey, Carolina, Florida, Detroit, St. Louis, Colorado, Boston, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Buffalo, Vancouver, Edmonton, San Jose, Dallas, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Phoenix, Atlanta

0: Washington, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, NY Islanders
This post should have ended this thread.

Absolutely ridiculous. Can you really see Detroit, Colorado, Dallas, Ottawa, Toronto and Philadelphia getting a better shot than all those teams with 0 balls???

Old
07-08-2005, 11:24 AM
Mr Sakich

I was at a charity golf event a few days ago and talked with an nhl insider. There is a real change occuring in the nhl. The large market teams that have driven the bus are no longer in charge. They each have a vote but they are 7 who are up against 23 small market / hawkish teams. The 23 are now in control. Bettman doesn't care what Tor / Col/ Det think because the leadership of those teams almost bankrupted the NHL.

If it is good for the small markets, then it will be the law. IMO, this will lead to a weighted system.

Old
07-08-2005, 11:53 AM
Jaded-Fan

Travelling on one of the links in this thread, it seems that now Eklund has a variation on the balls:

The most prevailing rumor is that they are looking at a weighted system currently that will be based on the last three years records. In this system the Blue Jackets would have the best shot at Crosby with 30 balls, then then next worse team gets 29, and then 28 and so on. This I believe is the leading candidate now.

http://hockeyrumors.blogspot.com/

Basically he is saying that there will be 465 balls. The teams will have the past 3 seaons standings averaged and the team with the worst average standings, Columbus, would have 30 of the 465 balls or a 6.5% chance. The next worse team, Pittsburgh, would have 29 balls, or just slightly less. All the way down to the team with the most points the past 3 seasons played having one ball, or a one in 465 chance. He then in the same paragraph contradicts himself and says that he thinks 1 in 30 likely. It just goes to show that not just Eklund, but nobody has a clue, or to be more accurate has too many clues to give credence to any of them. So many competing and conflicting reports.

I do have to say I like this latest permeation, it gives everyone some chance but lessens the spectical of a whole lot of sucky teams ending up picking near the bottom and teams who remain stacked picking near the top. Some of that will happen, but not wholesale under that system.

Old
07-08-2005, 12:01 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan
Travelling on one of the links in this thread, it seems that now Eklund has a variation on the balls:

The most prevailing rumor is that they are looking at a weighted system currently that will be based on the last three years records. In this system the Blue Jackets would have the best shot at Crosby with 30 balls, then then next worse team gets 29, and then 28 and so on. This I believe is the leading candidate now.

Basically he is saying that there will be 465 balls. The teams will have the past 3 seaons standings averaged and the team with the worst average standings, Columbus, would have 30 of the 465 balls or a 6.5% chance. The next worse team, Pittsburgh, would have 29 balls, or just slightly less. All the way down to the team with the most points the past 3 seasons played having one ball, or a one in 465 chance. He then in the same paragraph contradicts himself and says that he thinks 1 in 30 likely. It just goes to show that not just Eklund, but nobody has a clue, or to be more accurate has too many clues to give credence to any of them. So many competing and conflicting reports.

I do have to say I like this latest permeation, it gives everyone some chance but lessens the spectical of a whole lot of sucky teams ending up picking near the bottom and teams who remain stacked picking near the top. Some of that will happen, but not wholesale under that system.
Sure Eklund wants a 30 team/30 ball lottery.He is a Flyer fan.Very simple

Old
07-08-2005, 12:10 PM
davemess

These are all way to random, it should be some test of skill. Get the owners to take Penalty shots against Brodeur...... who ever scores most gets Crosby

Old
07-08-2005, 12:12 PM
fcbarcelona

forget this weighted b.s! 30 teams - 30 balls!

Old
07-08-2005, 12:13 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Weighted lottery

Old
07-08-2005, 12:13 PM
KL*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan

Won't happen.

What if two teams are tied? One gets one fewer ball.

Won't happen.

Old
07-08-2005, 12:15 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess
These are all way to random, it should be some test of skill. Get the owners to take Penalty shots against Brodeur...... who ever scores most gets Crosby
lol, let's hand Pittburgh the first pick right now then

Old
07-08-2005, 12:30 PM
Jaded-Fan

Even under Eklund's system, the bottom five teams only have a cumulative slight bit over 30% chance of getting number 1. The bottom 10 teams only cumulatively slightly more than a 56% chance of ending up number 1. The 10 teams with the best records over the last 3 years would have a cumulative just under 12% of a chance at number 1. It does give a chance to all teams but I think pretty fairly weighted when you consider the makeup even next year of the average top ten team, average bottom ten team.

Old
07-08-2005, 12:33 PM
London Knights

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez
lol, let's hand Pittburgh the first pick right now then
I don't know, Bill Wirtz would probably find some way to link the fact that Brodeur's equipment was paid by him and that he would force Brodeur to take his equipment off when Bill faced him.

Old
07-08-2005, 03:13 PM
MontrealCruiser_83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainShark
I tried to figure out the balls per team as well (taking as a basis that each team would have at least one ball) and here is my result. Columbus can not have 3 balls, they had the 1st-OA selecting Rick Nash (as you can see i took a ball from the team that actually took the 1st-selection, not from the team, that originally had that pick [the Panthers traded a 1st-OA twice])

3 Balls: Rangers

2 Balls: Florida, Calgary, Nashville, Minnesota, Anaheim, Columbus, Chicago

1 Ball: all other teams
Pretty clear what Bettman's intentions are. Not surprising considering he's regarded (well before the lockout) as the worst commissioner of all professional sports. Now I'm hoping Crosby lands in a dump like Carolina so that Bettman's marketing plan rots away like Crosby will. Christ, why won't these teams just fold and go away.

Old
07-08-2005, 03:32 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJones
Uh, last time I checked, the league WANTS Crosby to go to a good team.
Just curious -- with whom did you check? I haven't seen any comment from the league about where it wants Crosby to go...

Old
07-08-2005, 04:17 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
I'm of the opinion that some teams should not get any balls. Yeah, and I know I've posted things to this effect ad nauseum. But here goes, No ball for...

For instance, any team who has won the cup since 2000.

Any team that has picked top three since 2000, whether they traded to get there or not. They had their shot.

Any team with 3 seasons exceeding 98 points since 2000

Any team with 2 or more conference finals apperances since 2000.

Its not completly fair(life isn't), but at least the strong teams don't get him, and the Caps don't end up with Crosby and Ovechkin on the same team. Why should someone just be handed the Cup on a platter? Ever wonder why the Canadiens have twice as many Cups as anybody? Because(Legend goes)they always got first crack at the Quebec/French speaking guys, and those were often the best players.

Old
07-08-2005, 06:08 PM
SwisshockeyAcademy

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi
I'm of the opinion that some teams should not get any balls. Yeah, and I know I've posted things to this effect ad nauseum. But here goes, No ball for...

Any team that has picked top three since 2000, whether they traded to get there or not. They had their shot.

Any .
I'm ok with some but not this one. Very little relevance. I agree that cup winners and any other number of consistently competitive teams should have no shot. Toronto should have no shot and i'm a Leaf fan.

Old
07-09-2005, 09:10 AM
Tra La La

I 'd Like To see a Weighted draft. Favoring teams that Have'nt made the Playoffs in the last three seasons for 05 . I'd Like to see it Scaled back to 1 round for 05. With 06 Being a return to minimum 20 year old Eligibility. 4 rounds in length from then forward.

Closed Thread