HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Matt Walker Clears Waivers

Old
01-27-2011, 01:40 PM
DUHockey9

vCash: 500
Can we stop with the trading Leighton stuff? In order to trade him he'd need to clear re-entry waivers. Not going to happen.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:41 PM
Garbage Goal

Yay.

I'll fart rainbows if he gets picked up though.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
The only thing I would add to the Holmgren discussion is what he didn't do. While acquisitions have been mentioned, not signing one of the goalie FAs should be included.

This might be portrayed a puff piece, but Sam at the Inq. has an article related to this topic:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...st_record.html
Huh. The Flyers had 71 points after 50 games both times they won the Cup.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
Jester I just want to do a little experiment.

Half Full or Empty?

Half Full or Empty?
(Old Engineering joke).

Neither. The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Do you really think Gagne would be -19 if he was playing here?

And Gagne's expiring contract was not an albatross. As just noted, you're easily getting to his deal with our current roster without dumping anyone that isn't expendable... and that's removing the fact that at least part of Gagne's problem is playing on a new team, with a new system, etc. etc. on top of injury woes.
Probably not, but that 5 million in cap space is worth far more then Gagne's (would be) minimal contribution to the team's success (and if it meant no Zherdev the team would be worse IMO)

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Probably not, but that 5 million in cap space is worth far more then Gagne's (would be) minimal contribution to the team's success (and if it meant no Zherdev the team would be worse IMO)
If Gagne gets back to 100% (sure, that's an if... but everyone said that last year... remember how he ended the year?), then the Gagne to Zherdev comparison isn't even remotely fair to Zherdev.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:43 PM
jb**

any comments from Shooter yet? i believe they are just testing the waters to see if someone picks him up. Mayeb JVR wasnt really hurt and they sat him out as they have a trade in the works?

Has it been confiremd that if he is sent down he cant be recalled for the playoffs without re-entry waivers? Thought the cap ends after the last regular season game?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:45 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
He was suspended for a reason, and the Steelers almost traded him for a reason (no one would give them a 1st, thus he's still with the Steelers).
Yes, because the NFL likes a squeaky clean image and because the Steelers/Rooney's do too.

I'm sure if they truly wanted to trade him, they would have done so.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:46 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
(Old Engineering joke).

Neither. The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Haha! I think I heard that one, could be an economics joke too (optimization)

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:47 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
Bruins fans LOL at that comment.
No they don't. They cry at that comment

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Yes, because the NFL likes a squeaky clean image and because the Steelers/Rooney's do too.

I'm sure if they truly wanted to trade him, they would have done so.
...they wanted to trade him, but there's a difference between wanting to trade him and giving him away.

The problem with that fiasco was that it was a he said/she said and they didn't have physical evidence. However, it's pretty clear from all the contextualizing information that Big Ben got a young girl drunk, and got her into a bathroom with the help of his buddies.

Class act.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:52 PM
CerpinTaxt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
any comments from Shooter yet? i believe they are just testing the waters to see if someone picks him up. Mayeb JVR wasnt really hurt and they sat him out as they have a trade in the works?

Has it been confiremd that if he is sent down he cant be recalled for the playoffs without re-entry waivers? Thought the cap ends after the last regular season game?
Just wanna know why you think they might trade JVR, and for what kinda upgrade to the team?

CerpinTaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:54 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
The only thing I would add to the Holmgren discussion is what he didn't do. While acquisitions have been mentioned, not signing one of the goalie FAs should be included.
Very good point. Signing Walker and Leighton were poor decisions, but not getting a real goalie is the biggest offense. You have to wonder how much of an effect Leighton's signing the day before free agency had on the Flyers' ability to attract a starter on July 1.

So far, the surprising emergence of Bob, and Boucher have saved Holmgren's bacon.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
...they wanted to trade him, but there's a difference between wanting to trade him and giving him away.

The problem with that fiasco was that it was a he said/she said and they didn't have physical evidence. However, it's pretty clear from all the contextualizing information that Big Ben got a young girl drunk, and got her into a bathroom with the help of his buddies.

Class act.
Bottom line is -- if they didn't want the man to be a Pittsburgh Steeler, he wouldn't be with the team today. Period.

I don't care what Ben Roethlisberger does in his spare time and/or personal life. I like Ben Roethlisberger the athlete. I don't have any one single professional athlete that I idolize. Sure the guy is a goof, but he's a damn good athlete. Do I support his actions, absolutely not. So what.

Question for you -- do you feel Garth Snow should have claimed Nabby off waivers?

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
I think this is part of some Leino extension. The leino extension was getting some buzz recently on philly.com and now this happens. would be sweet to get him locked up

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:57 PM
McNasty

Quote:
If Gagne gets back to 100% (sure, that's an if... but everyone said that last year... remember how he ended the year?), then the Gagne to Zherdev comparison isn't even remotely fair to Zherdev.
That is a huge IF, he went through stretches last year, but he's hardly the same player. His skating is starting to go, he doesn't have that same explosiveness which IMO along with his defense (something that wasn't worth bragging about last year) were his biggest strengths.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:57 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Quote:
Do you really think Gagne would be -19 if he was playing here?

And Gagne's expiring contract was not an albatross. As just noted, you're easily getting to his deal with our current roster without dumping anyone that isn't expendable... and that's removing the fact that at least part of Gagne's problem is playing on a new team, with a new system, etc. etc. on top of injury woes.
Let's also not forget that the Gagne Tampa Bay has this year would still be nice to have playing with Richards. They're trying to bring in a forward anyways, which is at least some indication that someone in the front office is thinking "maybe we should have never really traded him to begin with."

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:58 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Very good point. Signing Walker and Leighton were poor decisions, but not getting a real goalie is the biggest offense. You have to wonder how much of an effect Leighton's signing the day before free agency had on the Flyers' ability to attract a starter on July 1.

So far, the surprising emergence of Bob, and Boucher have saved Holmgren's bacon.
Given that he signed him to a large upgrade while we had one other NHL goalie under contract and one prospect possibly taking up a roster spot (which accumulates to two NHL contracts and one possible other one), it was clear that Holmgren signed Leighton to be our starter.

Even ignoring how lucky he was that Bobrovsky and Boucher have both been acceptable, he's also incredibly lucky that Leighton got injured. Otherwise, it's doubtful whether or not Bobrovsky stays in the NHL and entirely possible that Leighton would have been our starter until a trade possibly happened.

I imagine if Holmgren didn't get incredibly lucky with both of those things and Leighton did play as our starter as Holmgren intended him to, people would be a lot less happy with him this season.

Old
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:

While I agree with this, the guys that were available are all little better than Boucher right now. Some are having seasons as bad as Leighton's non-season.

Nabokov? Turco? Ellis? etc.

The only guys out there that could make sense with hindsight are Vokoun & Bryzgalov and neither guy was a free agent.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:

Well if we had signed someone, he wouldn't have emerged at all (at least this year). Like in poker, sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. I just take it all in stride. No point in holding the bad moves over Homer's head like a guillotine when they're tied for first in the league. Like in golf, doesn't matter how you get to the green as long as you get there.

Jeez, I'm Mr. Metaphor today.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:59 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
That is a huge IF, he went through stretches last year, but he's hardly the same player. His skating is starting to go, he doesn't have that same explosiveness which IMO along with his defense (something that wasn't worth bragging about last year) were his biggest strengths.
We don't get past Boston in the playoffs without him last season (even assuming that we make the playoffs without him last season).

Old
01-27-2011, 02:01 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Well if we had signed someone, he wouldn't have emerged at all (at least this year). Like in poker, sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. I just take it all in stride. No point in holding the bad moves over Homer's head like a guillotine when they're tied for first in the league. Like in golf, doesn't matter how you get to the green as long as you get there.

Jeez, I'm Mr. Metaphor today.
Nicely stated. I don't think it'll change anyone's mindset, but nicely stated.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:01 PM
jb**

dont they need Walker for the ottawa game next month?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Well, he did... he signed Leighton.
Every time I think of this, I want to hit myself with a rock until I forget it happened.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:02 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
While I agree with this, the guys that were available are all little better than Boucher right now. Some are having seasons as bad as Leighton's non-season.

Nabokov? Turco? Ellis? etc.

The only guys out there that could make sense with hindsight are Vokoun & Bryzgalov and neither guy was a free agent.
In fairness, Ellis has no D in front of him to speak of. Turco is what he is, but it's not as though Chicago has been playing lights out in front of him. Nabokov, who knows.

No one knows how any of the FA goalies would have fared behind this defense. They may all have been on a par with Leighton. There's not much chance they'd be worse, so there was no risk in waiting it out to see what shook out on July 1. There wasn't a lineup of teams waiting for Leighton to be available.

But to bring this back on topic, Holmgren is on his way to fixing the Walker screwup, and has already dealt with the Leighton screwup.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote