HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is anyone worried about Boston or Tampa?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-27-2011, 09:49 AM
  #51
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Yes and yes.
Cosigned.


Almost every team that gets in worries me, but I wouldn't say any of them scare me.

As for the conversation going on about how the Penguins are the same team that won in '09...I actually think they're better. Only because of the progression of Letang and the addition of Mechalik and Martin. Also the removal of Gonchar, who I think is over rated.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 10:02 AM
  #52
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Cosigned.


Almost every team that gets in worries me, but I wouldn't say any of them scare me.

As for the conversation going on about how the Penguins are the same team that won in '09...I actually think they're better. Only because of the progression of Letang and the addition of Mechalik and Martin. Also the removal of Gonchar, who I think is over rated.
Agreed on the Pens. They have, at times, been scary good this year. But I think the Flyers have finally gotten over the mental block regarding them, and our depth and defense are better than theirs.

As for the rest of the teams, yes, they concern me. I don't think Tampa will go that far - I see them exiting the second round. But Boston worries me if TT can keep up at his level, although if Savard gets shut down for the year I think that'll be a big hit to them. But I think any team that gets in can pose a threat this year - everyone will be gunning for the Flyers, and if they take any games lightly, they'll be ripe for an upset IMO. Fortunately I don't think Lavi will let that happen, but we all know how this team can be when they think they're the favorites to win something.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 10:21 AM
  #53
Chris Pronger
Valar morghulis
 
Chris Pronger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,259
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Pittsburgh, until we beat them in the playoffs they still own us.
One thing will make the difference now: Pronger.

Chris Pronger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:08 PM
  #54
McNasty
Registered User
 
McNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Rutgers
Country: United States
Posts: 5,634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Cosigned.


Almost every team that gets in worries me, but I wouldn't say any of them scare me.

As for the conversation going on about how the Penguins are the same team that won in '09...I actually think they're better. Only because of the progression of Letang and the addition of Mechalik and Martin. Also the removal of Gonchar, who I think is over rated.
They also had Mallkin playing at a completely different level that season. He's still a first line player, but with him being an 80 point player the Pens are not that formidable. If Malkin wakes up watch out.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:55 PM
  #55
MCAKES
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 379
vCash: 500
i agree shasty mcnasty. malkin is what really makes that team awfully good.

MCAKES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:29 PM
  #56
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,188
vCash: 500
The Pens are scary or a threat or whatever you want to call them, but not any more so then any of the other top teams in our conference.

They don't even need Malkin playing at an elite level to succeed though. Crosby and Fleury alone can carry that team through a series, as they've done several times already this season.


Last edited by Garbage Goal: 01-27-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:32 PM
  #57
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
They also had Mallkin playing at a completely different level that season. He's still a first line player, but with him being an 80 point player the Pens are not that formidable. If Malkin wakes up watch out.
Sidney Crosby is as good a player as he has ever been, probably better/more complete. Concussions and recovery from them are unpredictable, but if he gets back to mid-season form, eighty-point-Malkin will probably be all they need to give them a chance against anybody.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:40 PM
  #58
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
The Pens are scary or a threat or whatever you want to call them, but not any more so then any of the other top teams in our conference.

They don't even need Malkin playing at an elite level to succeed though. Crosby Fleury alone can carry that team through a series, as they've done several times already this season.
Pens, Bolts, and Boston are the three teams I find most concerning. Pens have the star power, Bolts have tremendous scoring and special teams, and Boston has a goalie that can flat out dominate a series.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:44 PM
  #59
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 14,078
vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Pens, Bolts, and Boston are the three teams I find most concerning. Pens have the star power, Bolts have tremendous scoring and special teams, and Boston has a goalie that can flat out dominate a series.
You're not worried about the Rangers, though?

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:46 PM
  #60
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
You're not worried about the Rangers, though?
Not the way we've handled King Henrik. Career .901 goalie against us.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:49 PM
  #61
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Pens, Bolts, and Boston are the three teams I find most concerning. Pens have the star power, Bolts have tremendous scoring and special teams, and Boston has a goalie that can flat out dominate a series.
Same here. The only other team that I see being on par with us in terms of personnel though is Vancouver. As long as the team doesn't play below their capabilities, they shouldn't have an excuse to lose to any Eastern team.

The Pens are good, but they're team quite literally thrives off of one player now that Malkin hasn't been like his old self for a couple seasons. If you shut Crosby down then you shut that team down. Being perfectly honest, your best bet to win against Pittsburgh is probably just to hope that Crosby gets injured or something. Fleury can dominate at times, but he's a very hot-and-cold goaltender and the rest of that roster isn't impressive enough to score a lot when Crosby isn't doing anything.

I fear Tampa the most just because they match up well against us. Whether some people on here want to admit it or not, our big weakness is our goaltending still. The Lightning have the sheer firepower in Stamkos, St. Louis, Gagne, and Lecavalier to expose that weakness just as the Blackhawks did (yes, I know our goaltending isn't as weak as last season's, but the point stills stands). If we face the Bolts I'm not sure whether to expect domination on our part or a miniature version of last year's SCF.

Boston should have beat us last year and I've said as much many times on here. That series was heavily impacted by injuries and for that reason I think we got lucky. Now, of course, this season our team is much improved and Boston's isn't, but they play a very tough style of hockey that usually makes for relatively close and low-scoring games. They also probably have the best goalie duo in the league. Out of all of the Eastern teams, Boston is the one I would find most likely to go to seven games with. Still no reason why the Flyers can't beat them if they're playing up to their capabilities though.

All-in-all, I'm not really afraid of any team per se, but I'm very aware of how unpredictable the playoffs are, how unlikely it is for a team to go the SCF twice in a row, and how dangerous some of these teams are. You can't really take anything lightly in today's NHL, especially in the playoffs.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:51 PM
  #62
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
You're not worried about the Rangers, though?
They're a mediocre sixth seed and we've handled them very well for a quite a while now. I'm not worried about them at all. There's generally very little reason to worry about sixth seeds and lower.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:55 PM
  #63
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 14,078
vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
They're a mediocre sixth seed and we've handled them very well for a quite a while now. I'm not worried about them at all. There's generally very little reason to worry about sixth seeds and lower.
My question related to Jester's statement that he was afraid Thomas could dominate a series; Lundqvist can, too.

Little reason to worry about 6th seeds and lower? All three won their first round series in the East last season. Low seeds may not win Cups, but they provide plenty of first round upsets.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:16 PM
  #64
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
My question related to Jester's statement that he was afraid Thomas could dominate a series; Lundqvist can, too.

Little reason to worry about 6th seeds and lower? All three won their first round series in the East last season. Low seeds may not win Cups, but they provide plenty of first round upsets.
The difference is that Boston is a better team then New York and one that we probably wouldn't handle as well.

I said generally very little reason to worry. Bottom seeds are bottom seeds for a reason. They're not as good as top seeds and fringe playoff teams usually aren't very good. As long as the top seed plays up to their capability, there's never a good excuse for losing in the first round.

No seed worse then the 5th has ever won the Cup and even the 5th has only won it twice. Do bottom seeds upset occasionally? Sure, but they're still heavy under-dogs and I'd bet that, if you looked at the stats, they aren't very favorable for the bottom seeds.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:17 PM
  #65
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
My question related to Jester's statement that he was afraid Thomas could dominate a series; Lundqvist can, too.

Little reason to worry about 6th seeds and lower? All three won their first round series in the East last season. Low seeds may not win Cups, but they provide plenty of first round upsets.
Lundqvist can... but I'm not sure he has the insanity to him that Thomas does. Lundqvist is more steadily good (though, as noted, the Flyers appear to have his number).

Thomas has a career .934 against us. That's disconcerting... especially when added to the eyeball test of the stupidity of some of the games he's had against us. That game earlier this year when he had like 4 or 5 "top 10 plays of the night" saves was simply ridiculous.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:45 PM
  #66
Justified
Moderator
Amaro out
 
Justified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 28,811
vCash: 673
Boston yes, only because of Thomas. I feel that the Flyers depth is what is going to lead them far into the playoffs.

Justified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:06 PM
  #67
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 14,078
vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
The difference is that Boston is a better team then New York and one that we probably wouldn't handle as well.

I said generally very little reason to worry. Bottom seeds are bottom seeds for a reason. They're not as good as top seeds and fringe playoff teams usually aren't very good. As long as the top seed plays up to their capability, there's never a good excuse for losing in the first round.

No seed worse then the 5th has ever won the Cup and even the 5th has only won it twice. Do bottom seeds upset occasionally? Sure, but they're still heavy under-dogs and I'd bet that, if you looked at the stats, they aren't very favorable for the bottom seeds.
Since the NHL expanded to 6 divisions for the 98/99 season, there have been at least 2 upsets by a 6th seed (or lower) of a possible 6 matches in every year, except 1. The under dogs perform better than you think they do.

98/99 (3): Pit (8) d. NJ (1), Buf (7) d. Ott (2), Bos (6) d. Car (3)
99/00 (2): Pit (7) d. Wsh (2), SJ (8) d. Stl (1)
00/01 (3): Tor (7) d. Ott (2), Pit (6) d. Wsh (3), LA (7) d. Det (2)
01/02 (2): Mon (8) d. Bos (1), Ott (7) d. Phi (2)
02/03 (2): Ana (7) d. Det (2), Min (6) d. Col (3)
03/04 (2): Mon (7) d. Bos (2), Cal (6) d. Van (3)
05/06 (3): Edm (8) d. Det (1), Col (7) d. Dal (2), Ana (6) d. Cal (3)
06/07 (1): NYR (6) d. Atl (3)
07/08 (2): Phi (6) d. Wsh (3), Col (6) d. Min (3)
08/09 (2): Car (6) d. NJ (3), Ana (8) d. SJ (1)
09/10 (3): Mon (8) d. Wsh (1), Phi (7) d. NJ (2), Bos (6) d. Buf (3)

The Flyers don't necessarily need to fear anyone, but momentum and match-up strength tends to have a big impact in the first round.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:06 PM
  #68
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 14,078
vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Lundqvist can... but I'm not sure he has the insanity to him that Thomas does. Lundqvist is more steadily good (though, as noted, the Flyers appear to have his number).

Thomas has a career .934 against us. That's disconcerting... especially when added to the eyeball test of the stupidity of some of the games he's had against us. That game earlier this year when he had like 4 or 5 "top 10 plays of the night" saves was simply ridiculous.
Fair enough; I was just curious.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:36 PM
  #69
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Since the NHL expanded to 6 divisions for the 98/99 season, there have been at least 2 upsets by a 6th seed (or lower) of a possible 6 matches in every year, except 1. The under dogs perform better than you think they do.

98/99 (3): Pit (8) d. NJ (1), Buf (7) d. Ott (2), Bos (6) d. Car (3)
99/00 (2): Pit (7) d. Wsh (2), SJ (8) d. Stl (1)
00/01 (3): Tor (7) d. Ott (2), Pit (6) d. Wsh (3), LA (7) d. Det (2)
01/02 (2): Mon (8) d. Bos (1), Ott (7) d. Phi (2)
02/03 (2): Ana (7) d. Det (2), Min (6) d. Col (3)
03/04 (2): Mon (7) d. Bos (2), Cal (6) d. Van (3)
05/06 (3): Edm (8) d. Det (1), Col (7) d. Dal (2), Ana (6) d. Cal (3)
06/07 (1): NYR (6) d. Atl (3)
07/08 (2): Phi (6) d. Wsh (3), Col (6) d. Min (3)
08/09 (2): Car (6) d. NJ (3), Ana (8) d. SJ (1)
09/10 (3): Mon (8) d. Wsh (1), Phi (7) d. NJ (2), Bos (6) d. Buf (3)

The Flyers don't necessarily need to fear anyone, but momentum and match-up strength tends to have a big impact in the first round.
If I did my math right, that's 22 out of 88 possible upsets. So one out of every four, or 25% of the time, a team is upset. Not exactly shocking or something that I didn't expect. Upsets happen. They never go on to win the Cup though, the odds are still stacked against them, and the top sees are typically the best teams. So, like I said before, there's no reason to worry about bottom seeds even if an upset or two is bound to happen.

What bottom seed is there to fear this season in our conference?

Washington is the 5th seed. Aside from having said before that the 5th seed can be pretty dangerous and worrisome some seasons, I don't think that the Caps are anything to fear this season. They appear to be in a transition stage. Their star players are all having down years and it's showing in the standings.

The Rags are the same as they have been for the last 10 or so seasons. A mediocre fringe/lower seed playoff team. It's the same song and dance with them every season. They're usually good enough to make the playoffs, sometimes even as a 6th seed, but they're never that good and never considered a real threat. They have Lundqvist and Gaborik as always and their coaching seems to be working well this season and that's as far as the positives go for that team really.

Montreal seems just about the same as last season except replace Halak with Price. If I didn't fear them last season then there's no reason to this season. Although, admittedly, they do have superb goaltending capable of stealing a round so they're not the ideal first round opponent. We've owned Price and Montreal in the playoffs though so that might not be as big a factor against us.

I doubt Atlanta even holds onto their playoff spot to be honest. Canes are one point back with two in hand and I see the Canes as a better team anyhow.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 04:33 PM
  #70
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 14,078
vCash: 955
25/66 for 38% (I didn't calculate the 5th seed upsets)

The reasons to fear a team in the first round will be based on Philly's strengths/weaknesses against that roster, combined with any momentum that team carries into the playoffs (or a lack of momentum from the Flyers).

On paper I currently like their chances against anyone in the East, though I share the reservations of those who feel that the Flyers need to knock off the Pens in the playoffs before I truly feel comfortable seeing them in the Spring.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 10:25 AM
  #71
MrBrightside
Registered User
 
MrBrightside's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Franklin Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97FlyersKing18 View Post
I understand that they have pretty much the same core as they did when they beat the Flyers in the ECF and 1st round back to back, but their peripheral pieces are majorly downgraded and their defense is not as imposing. That being said, 2 of the top 5 players in the world make them a threat. The only thing that can save the Penguins against the Flyers is Powerplay opportunities.
The Penguins have allowed the second fewest goals in the NHL and lead in PK by a wide percentage. A top 4 of Orpik, Letang, Martin, and Michalek is as good as anyone in the league. The offense isn't what it was a few years ago, but the defense is actually far better than it was.

MrBrightside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 10:32 AM
  #72
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by u0007890 View Post
The Penguins have allowed the second fewest goals in the NHL and lead in PK by a wide percentage. A top 4 of Orpik, Letang, Martin, and Michalek is as good as anyone in the league. The offense isn't what it was a few years ago, but the defense is actually far better than it was.
That defense didn't look so great until MAF got his head out of his ass. There's nothing wrong with that, but when you're getting .922 team goaltending... you look good defensively. Take the Flyers, everyone talks about how the spending on defense has been so great, which is true to an extent. However, the team is also getting significantly better goaltending than they got last year on the whole to this point. Boucher doesn't just have good D in front of him, he's played noticeably better than he did last year.

And, for the record, a top 4 of Orpik, Letang, Martin, and Michalek isn't as good as what we have. That being said, I don't disagree that the Pens have a bit more depth along the blue line than previously, but they aren't world beaters either.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 10:38 AM
  #73
MrBrightside
Registered User
 
MrBrightside's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Franklin Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
That defense didn't look so great until MAF got his head out of his ass. There's nothing wrong with that, but when you're getting .922 team goaltending... you look good defensively. Take the Flyers, everyone talks about how the spending on defense has been so great, which is true to an extent. However, the team is also getting significantly better goaltending than they got last year on the whole to this point. Boucher doesn't just have good D in front of him, he's played noticeably better than he did last year.

And, for the record, a top 4 of Orpik, Letang, Martin, and Michalek isn't as good as what we have. That being said, I don't disagree that the Pens have a bit more depth along the blue line than previously, but they aren't world beaters either.
In one paragraph you note that the Flyers defense isn't that good, then in the next you say it's better than those 4 guys, 3 of whom were getting huge free agent offers from all over the NHL the past few offseasons and the other who is a young defenseman being mentioned as a Norris candidate. I don't think most objective fans would view the Flyers' top 4 as better than the Pens' top 4, much as no one would argue that the Pens' top 2 forward lines are in the class of Philly's.

No team's defense looks good when the goaltending is struggling, but chalking the defense up to Fleury playing well is backward for most people who watch the Pens. I'd argue Fleury struggled early because they were breaking in new defense pairings and playing poorly in their own end, but once they got comfortable and settled in and played much better hockey, suddenly Fleury's play improved. Those things go hand in hand, but I'd argue Fleury's "improvement" is due to having a vastly improved defense corps.

MrBrightside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 10:44 AM
  #74
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by u0007890 View Post
In one paragraph you note that the Flyers defense isn't that good, then in the next you say it's better than those 4 guys, 3 of whom were getting huge free agent offers from all over the NHL the past few offseasons and the other who is a young defenseman being mentioned as a Norris candidate. I don't think most objective fans would view the Flyers' top 4 as better than the Pens' top 4, much as no one would argue that the Pens' top 2 forward lines are in the class of Philly's.

No team's defense looks good when the goaltending is struggling, but chalking the defense up to Fleury playing well is backward for most people who watch the Pens. I'd argue Fleury struggled early because they were breaking in new defense pairings and playing poorly in their own end, but once they got comfortable and settled in and played much better hockey, suddenly Fleury's play improved. Those things go hand in hand, but I'd argue Fleury's "improvement" is due to having a vastly improved defense corps.
You need to work on your reading skills if you think that's what I said.

MAF's improvement is due to the fact that throughout his entire career he's been streaky, and part of that is having streaks of terrible. This year has been nothing different. It isn't like he hasn't posted a .920+ SVPCT before.

And, for the record, I think most objective fans think a top 4 anchored by Pronger and Timonen is significantly better than what the Pens are trotting out. True no. 1 D have an impact on the game that those beneath them do not, and the Flyers have two of those and the Pens don't have one (No, Letang isn't that dominant presence yet).

And lets not get into the Norris stupidity. Look no further than the finalists last year to see how much stock should be placed in that award when the hype machine gets going. Two of the guys shouldn't have been finalists, and the guy that won was not nearly as good as the media made him out to be.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 10:51 AM
  #75
MrBrightside
Registered User
 
MrBrightside's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Franklin Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You need to work on your reading skills if you think that's what I said.

MAF's improvement is due to the fact that throughout his entire career he's been streaky, and part of that is having streaks of terrible. This year has been nothing different. It isn't like he hasn't posted a .920+ SVPCT before.

And, for the record, I think most objective fans think a top 4 anchored by Pronger and Timonen is significantly better than what the Pens are trotting out. True no. 1 D have an impact on the game that those beneath them do not, and the Flyers have two of those and the Pens don't have one (No, Letang isn't that dominant presence yet).

And lets not get into the Norris stupidity. Look no further than the finalists last year to see how much stock should be placed in that award when the hype machine gets going. Two of the guys shouldn't have been finalists, and the guy that won was not nearly as good as the media made him out to be.
I did misread what you said about the defense in front of Boucher.

We'll agree to disagree on what objective fans think about the top 4...or at least knowledgeable objective fans. The Flyers 1-2 defensemen are certainly up there with the Pens', but the fall-off to 3-4 (Coburn and Carle, I guess) is more pronounced than that of the Pens.

As for whether Letang is a #1, I'm not sure what your definition is. He doesn't have the size of a Pronger or Keith nor has he demonstrated the consistency over a long period that guys like Lidstrom or others have, but he's played as well as any defenseman in the league most of this season.

MrBrightside is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.