HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre Mcguire thinks LA has to be aggressive at the deadline

Old
01-27-2011, 12:05 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Moses View Post
His jokes are bad, his commentary persona is irritating, but that doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about.
Oh, don't get me wrong, he knows what he's talking about but so do a lot of other commentators and insiders, and they're not as annoying as him, so I decide to listen to them instead of him. Like my boy Kypreos, he knows his **** and he's cool and fun to listen to

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:06 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Maybe there is Semin coming our way........duck.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:07 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Where he will continue to whistle away.
Not really. I mean we have signed a few guys through UFA such as Handzus, Poni, etc. Not great pick ups, but he did make some signings. As well, he may not have landed big names, but he's been involved in talks for many big names, from Chara and Gaborik, to Kovalchuk, Drury and Hossa. Some would have been nice, some I'm very glad he didn't pay what they wanted.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:09 PM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
Toffoli? Can we all wait that long?
No, Tampa Bay would tank for him and snatch him from us.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:16 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Not true.. It's usually Bob Mckenzie who says the Kings are probably going to take ... and they do.

Mckenzie > McGuire
I am pretty sure I can tell the difference between McKenzie and Regis McGuire

Flour Child is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
No, Tampa Bay would tank for him and snatch him from us.

Are you suggesting we trade Toffoli for Stamkos?

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:10 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Now that Semin is off the market. BTW, big overpayment for him by the Caps IMHO. I guess we have to look to trade for a lesser diamond in the rough type player that may be ready to make the jump from the AHL to the NHL next season.

Either that or it's back to hoping Loktionov, Parse, or Moller can step into the top six soon. Williams' value in the UFA market just went up.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:26 PM
JR28

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Now that Semin is off the market. BTW, big overpayment for him by the Caps IMHO. I guess we have to look to trade for a lesser diamond in the rough type player that may be ready to make the jump from the AHL to the NHL next season.

Either that or it's back to hoping Loktionov, Parse, or Moller can step into the top six soon. Williams' value in the UFA market just went up.
I am not sure that this takes Semin off the market. The fact remains it makes Semin a much more attractive trade option, as maybe the Caps can get more in a trade knowing that Semin is not a rental. More teams may be involved in working on a trade for him knowing they have the extra year to work with him on a long term deal. It is a win win for the Caps, whether they go the trade route or keep him for a cup run.

Now as for Semin I don't understand why he would do this. With his injury problems over the years, including now, I would think he would go for the long term security of 5-7 yr deal. I mean he could end up getting a career ending injury next year and then he will be out of luck. 6.7 aint bad though. I hope the Kings are in it if the Caps decide to go the trade route.

JR28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:55 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

If we deal for Semin it does fill the hole at LW that we have needed to fill for years. However as much as I agree we need to fill that hole I just don't think that now is the time to do it necessarily. Loktionov and Moller at least deserve their shots if not now then to start next season. If we deal for Semin I would have to believe that one or both of them including Voynov would be going the other way and while I love the game that Semin brings I also really like Loktionov and Voynov and the depth that they give us.

Of course, with our D so heavily loaded its going to be hard for VV to break into it just yet and with Sturm,Poni,Zues and Williams all coming off the books next season there is room for others to join the team.

Washington needs a veteran stay at home dman who can be mobile if needed. For Semin they are going to want more than a minor league D from us so the whole thing is a crap shoot.

Its interesting to say the least but I am not sold entirely on our need to make such a deal right this second. 50/50

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:11 PM
scramble91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
If we deal for Semin it does fill the hole at LW that we have needed to fill for years. However as much as I agree we need to fill that hole I just don't think that now is the time to do it necessarily. Loktionov and Moller at least deserve their shots if not now then to start next season. If we deal for Semin I would have to believe that one or both of them including Voynov would be going the other way and while I love the game that Semin brings I also really like Loktionov and Voynov and the depth that they give us.

Of course, with our D so heavily loaded its going to be hard for VV to break into it just yet and with Sturm,Poni,Zues and Williams all coming off the books next season there is room for others to join the team.

Washington needs a veteran stay at home dman who can be mobile if needed. For Semin they are going to want more than a minor league D from us so the whole thing is a crap shoot.

Its interesting to say the least but I am not sold entirely on our need to make such a deal right this second. 50/50
The only thing that scares me, is if we lose williams (Kings17 hit the nail on the head since now someone will probably overpay him), we might have 2-3 rookies on our top 6. Secondary scoring might be a issue next season. (Moller, Schenn, Lokti will have to remove thier training wheels fast).

I dont think Semin will really be an option until the offseason, but still we will have to trade to make it happen.

scramble91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Am I crazy for thinking someone is gonna throw Williams 5 million-ish on the open market if he keeps his points up?

Edit: Now that Semin is taken, I mean.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

They can rent two pretty good players, the Andrew Brunettes of the world. I wouldn't hold out hope for anything substantial.

01-27-2011, 03:37 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Williams isn't making it to free agency...he'll be resigned.

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:42 PM
scramble91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
I'm not sure about this. He has made it clear that he is playing for his family security since it will be his last big contract. Now with his years ufa class being short of top names, he would be foolish not to test the market. I don't know if he will go for more money or a longer term. The latter makes sense for him.

Old
01-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Defgarden

The real sad thing about the notion of losing Williams is that his line with Smyth and Stoll has been our best real line by far. Kopitar will put up his points on his own, but his LW (and mostly his right as well) has been a revolving door with almost no continuity. Do you go after a sniper like Semin at the possible cost of a Williams (and probably Handzus)? How much room does that leave for Doughty?

I haven't worked out the numbers, so I'm just wondering.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 04:01 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defgarden View Post
The real sad thing about the notion of losing Williams is that his line with Smyth and Stoll has been our best real line by far. Kopitar will put up his points on his own, but his LW (and mostly his right as well) has been a revolving door with almost no continuity. Do you go after a sniper like Semin at the possible cost of a Williams (and probably Handzus)? How much room does that leave for Doughty?

I haven't worked out the numbers, so I'm just wondering.
I guess you missed that he signed a 1 year extension already with Washington.

Flour Child is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 04:06 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
Am I crazy for thinking someone is gonna throw Williams 5 million-ish on the open market if he keeps his points up?

I think he'll get that regardless of what Semin did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
So he is going to quit?

It takes two to tango so even if the Kings DO want to re-sign him, they'll likely be competing with a lot of teams unless they can work out a deal before July. I don't know if DL is going to make an offer worthy enough (for him) to forego free agency. There is a lot of risk there but he has also been a crucial part of this team this season. I'm sure how the Kings finish the season will also impact his decision.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 04:11 PM
Defgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
I guess you missed that he signed a 1 year extension already with Washington.
I meant with the notion that the Caps might still trade him.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 04:19 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post

If someone gives Williams $5M; au revoir monsieur Justin.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 04:33 PM
scramble91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Heh. It would be sad if someone would pay him that much, but you never know. If we lose out on him, I think the term of the contract is where we will lose it. Someone will offer a 3-5 year deal, while I don't think dean would give him a contract for that long.

Old
01-27-2011, 04:36 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

I don't see the Caps making this move to trade Semin, they were probably just far apart on terms. This gives them a year to get their paper straight and to look at a real long deal sometime in the near future for him. I'd consider him off the market and even if that is not the case the price now goes from only money to money and considerable assets. In short, I think we can put the Semin talk to rest.

As far as Williams goes, the first au contraire response hit it on the head. He's about to hit 30, he's fully healthy and putting up numbers, he is going to cash in. Great for him, he is a classy man and a solid player. The question is do we see the Kings either 1) paying him an open market price or even 2) making him an offer competitive enough to stave off that possibility?

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 04:38 PM
northernKing

IMO there is no way in hell Williams gets close to $5M a year as an UFA. We not only have to consider the UFA class of 2011, but also look at the UFA class of 2012 and players becoming RFA and UFA around the NHL. More and more teams are taking the WASH approach and making it a priority to sign their own players before going to FA.

Williams has been damn good for LA this season and I'd like to see him signed to a 3-5 yr deal at similiar numbers to his current cap hit of $3.5M. Thats $10M-$17.5M. I'm sure thats pretty good security for him and his kids, and their kids! When NHL players mention security it makes me laugh seeing as they are the only athletes with gauranteed contracts (yet they lost the last CBA?LOL!)

As for McGuire he's a clown and makes every Canadian player at the WJC's sound like the next superstar and his draft day opinions are borderline idiotic.

As for Kypreos I lost a bit of respect for him as a player when he hurt Fuhr in the playoffs and as a "insider" when he reported Kovy signing with LA.

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by scramble91 View Post
Heh. It would be sad if someone would pay him that much, but you never know. If we lose out on him, I think the term of the contract is where we will lose it. Someone will offer a 3-5 year deal, while I don't think dean would give him a contract for that long.
I think a reasonable deal for Williams would be 3 years, $12M, without a NTC/NMC. He's still only 29 and will still be in his prime within those 3 years. I also think he is capable of producing more than he has thus far. He's currently on pace for 29 goals and 63 points.

On Carolina, he was a 30+ goal scorer twice who hit 76 and 67 points. If he keeps up at a similar pace as he is now, the Kings have to retain him, but it still has to be at a reasonable rate when you factor in the risk of injuries with him.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I don't speak spanish but if Williams finishes with 30 goals (what he is on pace for), somebody will give him $5m-per cap hit. If somebody gave Ryan Smyth a CAP hit of $6.25m, they'll give Williams $5m. Insert any number of players where Ryan Smyth's name appears. Put it this way, I highly doubt he signs with a CAP hit less than $4m. Again, assuming he hits 30/30. A healthy Williams is likely to put up close to his career numbers in a more offensive system.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
IMO there is no way in hell Williams gets close to $5M a year as an UFA. We not only have to consider the UFA class of 2011, but also look at the UFA class of 2012 and players becoming RFA and UFA around the NHL. More and more teams are taking the WASH approach and making it a priority to sign their own players before going to FA.

Williams has been damn good for LA this season and I'd like to see him signed to a 3-5 yr deal at similiar numbers to his current cap hit of $3.5M. Thats $10M-$17.5M. I'm sure thats pretty good security for him and his kids, and their kids! When NHL players mention security it makes me laugh seeing as they are the only athletes with gauranteed contracts (yet they lost the last CBA?LOL!)

As for McGuire he's a clown and makes every Canadian player at the WJC's sound like the next superstar and his draft day opinions are borderline idiotic.

As for Kypreos I lost a bit of respect for him as a player when he hurt Fuhr in the playoffs and as a "insider" when he reported Kovy signing with LA.
$5M per seems like a reach but a modest raise and a potentially uncomfortable number of years seem likely.

FYI the NBA's contracts are guaranteed, there are instances where the final year of a deal is not but that is more than offset by the fact that buyouts are generally 90% or more of the remaining contract where the NHL is 66.7%. Major League Baseball also has guaranteed contracts.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote