HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Columbus Thread III (All City/Arena Questions, Ticket Exchange, Meetups, etc in here)

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2011, 02:56 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
I picked up a white tc Johanson jersey last night and they did add tax to the ticket price. Also they would not let me use my sth 15% blue line discount.
Same experience here. I looked back at the Voracek I bought and I was indeed charged tax.

I wonder why they don't let us use the STH discount?
edit: found out why no discount. apparently all game worn proceeds goes to CBJ foundation. did not know that!

Last edited by SuperGenius: 01-26-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old
01-26-2011, 04:31 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

vCash: 500
The Arch City Army did not impress me on the initial outing. Spirit and enthusiasm is welcomed, of course. The very, very, few times I did notice them from my seat in 105 was because they were so off kilter in the rapid-fire chanting of one of the standard hockey chants.

I read on their FB page that they were chanting "wake up lower bowl". Didn't hear that at all. I was actually watching the game. The group seems like a fairly forced, artificial deal. Still confused by the bizzare and obscure historical arch reference which means nothing to the city in this day and age. Certainly arches have nothing to do with the national image of Cbus, CBJ, or hockey even remotely. Just confusing, and their resistance and defensive attitude to a name revision is puzzling.

I love a loud crowd, but in response to the game, not random "soccer-style" gibberish coming from the rafters. Matt the Mask got a loud chant or two going from over in 114-115!

Old
01-27-2011, 03:02 AM
Seguins Dragon*

2 Canadians Just Coming Up For Good Time...

Me and my buddy are looking to get the best hockey experience from every city.

Try to do 1 or 2 cities a year.

Columbus has come up, we are coming from Canada... looking for March 15th vs Bruins and March 17th versus wings.

Should we buy straight from ticketmaster? scalpers?

How should we spend the 16th? The day of no hockey?... What is cool or must things to do around Columbus.

Where are good places to eat?... Not high end or anything but good quality food, even pub grub is good or places suggested and things to do... or a signature place perhaps with a signature dish (Man VS Food fans )

Thanks guys!!

Old
01-27-2011, 07:43 AM
Matt Foley
Living in a van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguins Dragon View Post
Me and my buddy are looking to get the best hockey experience from every city.

Try to do 1 or 2 cities a year.

Columbus has come up, we are coming from Canada... looking for March 15th vs Bruins and March 17th versus wings.

Should we buy straight from ticketmaster? scalpers?

How should we spend the 16th? The day of no hockey?... What is cool or must things to do around Columbus.

Where are good places to eat?... Not high end or anything but good quality food, even pub grub is good or places suggested and things to do... or a signature place perhaps with a signature dish (Man VS Food fans )

Thanks guys!!
Adam Richman visited a few places here in town last year:

Thurman's Cafe
Ohio Deli
Schmidt's

I'm a big fan of the Thurmanator burger myself.

Last edited by Matt Foley: 01-27-2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old
01-27-2011, 08:20 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

There is an earlier version of this thread somewhere that has tons of info about the Arena District and Columbus, in general. It might be helpful to search it out, because it really has pretty much everything you could want to know about the area. Hope you have a great trip and enjoyable hockey to watch!

Old
01-27-2011, 10:30 AM
Seguins Dragon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
There is an earlier version of this thread somewhere that has tons of info about the Arena District and Columbus, in general. It might be helpful to search it out, because it really has pretty much everything you could want to know about the area. Hope you have a great trip and enjoyable hockey to watch!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
Adam Richman visited a few places here in town last year:

Thurman's Cafe
Ohio Deli
Schmidt's

I'm a big fan of the Thurmanator burger myself.

awesome guys, thanks!!!

I will try to dig up that thread, curious if there are any museums or anything I should check out??

What is Columbus/Ohio signature food dish?? (Buffalo has wings, Phillidelphia has steak and cheese.. ect...)

Old
01-27-2011, 10:56 AM
Columbus Mike
Next CBJ GM

vCash: 272
Quote:
What is Columbus/Ohio signature food dish?? (Buffalo has wings, Phillidelphia has steak and cheese.. ect...)

Old
01-27-2011, 10:57 AM
Matt Foley
Living in a van

Quote:
awesome guys, thanks!!!

I will try to dig up that thread, curious if there are any museums or anything I should check out??

As for what to do, here's a helpful link:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...mbus_Ohio.html

Columbus IMO doesn't have one signature food; it's pretty much a chain restaurant haven with some unique places thrown in. German Village (just south of downtown) has a lot of neat places eat and imbibe. The area around the arena also has some nice places as well - the RBar in particular is a must-visit for out-of-town hockey fans.

Edit: if there's one signature food in Columbus, Columbus Mike has it pegged.

Old
01-27-2011, 11:02 AM
BJFan1

Quote:
awesome guys, thanks!!!

Right near the arena, there is a few really good food places to check out. There is BD's (a make-your-own-all-you-can-eat-stir-fry place), Ted's (specializing in Buffalo burgers, and meat in general), the Garage Bar has some pretty good bar food.

Signature food dish??? I don't know if there's anything really here that you can't get elsewhere... but I would go check out Thurman's for that burger!!!

Stuff to do in Columbus on the off-day.... the Columbus Zoo is the #1 zoo in the US if you are in to that kind of stuff... cool place to spend a couple hours and not too expensive. Downtown there is the Columbus Museum of Art, you could check out their website to see what kind of exhibit they have going on... there is a also a place called COSI, it is a science exploration center... mainly for the younger folk but still enjoyable. You could check the schedules for some of the theater's downtown and see if there is any shows in town, or you could always head into the suburbs and check out some of the large malls that Columbus features, Easton Town Market of Polaris Fashion Place. Something to note as well... Polaris has a LOT of excellent restaurants featuring a large variety of foods. I would recommend The Pub as a place to check out... LOTS of different beers to enjoy :-D

Enjoy your visit to Columbus!!!

Old
01-27-2011, 12:23 PM
Seguins Dragon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus Mike View Post
Never been to White Castle... that is a MUST go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
As for what to do, here's a helpful link:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...mbus_Ohio.html

Columbus IMO doesn't have one signature food; it's pretty much a chain restaurant haven with some unique places thrown in. German Village (just south of downtown) has a lot of neat places eat and imbibe. The area around the arena also has some nice places as well - the RBar in particular is a must-visit for out-of-town hockey fans.

Edit: if there's one signature food in Columbus, Columbus Mike has it pegged.
Ya during Man V Food it mentioned the German District, so I will hit up that probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJFan1 View Post
Right near the arena, there is a few really good food places to check out. There is BD's (a make-your-own-all-you-can-eat-stir-fry place), Ted's (specializing in Buffalo burgers, and meat in general), the Garage Bar has some pretty good bar food.

Signature food dish??? I don't know if there's anything really here that you can't get elsewhere... but I would go check out Thurman's for that burger!!!

Stuff to do in Columbus on the off-day.... the Columbus Zoo is the #1 zoo in the US if you are in to that kind of stuff... cool place to spend a couple hours and not too expensive. Downtown there is the Columbus Museum of Art, you could check out their website to see what kind of exhibit they have going on... there is a also a place called COSI, it is a science exploration center... mainly for the younger folk but still enjoyable. You could check the schedules for some of the theater's downtown and see if there is any shows in town, or you could always head into the suburbs and check out some of the large malls that Columbus features, Easton Town Market of Polaris Fashion Place. Something to note as well... Polaris has a LOT of excellent restaurants featuring a large variety of foods. I would recommend The Pub as a place to check out... LOTS of different beers to enjoy :-D

Enjoy your visit to Columbus!!!
Awesome!!

Thanks!!

Big fan of zoos so may do that, the pub sounds like a good visit... ya, the Thurman Cafe looks like a MUST visit too.

Appreciate the input guys!!

Old
01-27-2011, 12:38 PM
fox2usp
Inbred Cat

Quote:

Ya during Man V Food it mentioned the German District, so I will hit up that probably.

Awesome!!

Thanks!!

Big fan of zoos so may do that, the pub sounds like a good visit... ya, the Thurman Cafe looks like a MUST visit too.

I would take a look at COSI (Center of Science and Industry). It's a pretty neat place. You can check it out here: http://cosi.org/

"I don't think I'll live long enough to forgive Howson for knocking off my rose colored glasses. He's a horrible, wretched, little stinker of a man. I just hope he wakes up in the morning and can't poop." -CBJCougar (on the Klesla trade), March 23, 2011
Old
01-27-2011, 01:27 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus Mike View Post
And when you do go there, don't get the chicken, cheesburgers or whatever else they're trying to add to the menu these days. standard hamburgers. at least 5. fries or onion rings and if you really want to complete the experience, chase it all down with one of their chocolate shakes :^)

Old
01-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Columbus Mike
Next CBJ GM

vCash: 272
Quote:

The zoo is good, but is probably a 30 minute drive from downtown, longer depending on the time of day.

Mmmm, Thurman's.

Old
01-27-2011, 02:43 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Concerning the zoo...

http://www.columbuszoo.org/

Old
01-27-2011, 03:03 PM
DEF

Schmidt's was mentioned above. They serve two items that should be served at the arena. The Bahama Mama (a spicy sausage) and their cream puff. Every one says Columbus doesn't have a signature dish. I nominate these two.

Old
01-27-2011, 03:17 PM
Hipster Letestu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEF View Post
Schmidt's was mentioned above. They serve two items that should be served at the arena. The Bahama Mama (a spicy sausage) and their cream puff. Every one says Columbus doesn't have a signature dish. I nominate these two.
Not a Bahama Mama fan myself, but that cream puff they serve is a thing of beauty, plus it kind of goes with the Blue Jackets

Old
01-27-2011, 03:20 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

If Bahama Mama's were available at the games, I'd get one now and again, but the cream puffs are out of this world.

Old
01-27-2011, 09:33 PM
DEF

When I ushered at the Owl's games, we got payed $5.00 cash at the end of the second period. Always got a Bahama Mama and a Linenkugles (sp)Red draft and got change back. I seem to remember both of them tasting better back then. The cream puffs haven't changed.

Old
01-28-2011, 08:39 AM
kshymkiw

Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
If Bahama Mama's were available at the games, I'd get one now and again, but the cream puffs are out of this world.
Phillips Coney Island really needs to be serving their coneys at the game, instead of the Skyline Crap

Old
01-28-2011, 09:17 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
Agreed but I can't eat them any more. I few years ago, I did Weight Watchers (dropped 30 pounds to my college weight, which I have since put most back on, but I disgress...) and someone calculated the points (a WW thing) for one Schmidt's cream puff and it was about three days worth of eating. So worth it, though.

Old
01-28-2011, 10:08 AM
kshymkiw

Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Quote:
Just make sure you're close to the toilet afterwards. They don't call them 'Sliders' for nothing.

Thurmans - expect a 2 hour wait if you go during peak times. It is ok for the novelty of going, but the food is moderate and the service sucks. Living right around the corner from the place I just laugh everytime I walk out my front door and see these idiots standing in line for 2 hours at Thurmans.

Old
01-28-2011, 11:44 AM
BJFan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by astall35 View Post
Not a Bahama Mama fan myself, but that cream puff they serve is a thing of beauty, plus it kind of goes with the Blue Jackets
So are you saying the Blue Jackets are light and crispy on the outside, but are whipped and soft when you get to the core of them???

Old
01-30-2011, 10:20 AM
IBleedUnionBlue

One of the biggest failures of the CBJ organization is to reach out to the state of Ohio to improve the fanbase. The Reds are traveling all over Ohio, Indiana & Kentucky. Yesterday the Reds were in Lima, Celina, Muncie Indiana. Today they are in Hamilton, Lexington and Columbus.

Would it kill the CBJ to organize a 10 day trip around Ohio to try to reach new fans? Brandon Phillips was shaking hands and signing stuff yesterday in Celina. Who the heck on this board besides me has ever been in Celina? Put the Jackets on a bus and hit the road outside the 270 beltway.

Old
01-30-2011, 10:53 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
One of the biggest failures of the CBJ organization is to reach out to the state of Ohio to improve the fanbase. The Reds are traveling all over Ohio, Indiana & Kentucky. Yesterday the Reds were in Lima, Celina, Muncie Indiana. Today they are in Hamilton, Lexington and Columbus.

Would it kill the CBJ to organize a 10 day trip around Ohio to try to reach new fans? Brandon Phillips was shaking hands and signing stuff yesterday in Celina. Who the heck on this board besides me has ever been in Celina? Put the Jackets on a bus and hit the road outside the 270 beltway.
Good idea but when? Before or after season? Or maybe some games play in other towns in Ohio?

Old
01-30-2011, 12:58 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Good idea but when? Before or after season? Or maybe some games play in other towns in Ohio?
Off season. The Reds are traveling now, approximately 2 weeks prior to training camp opening. The CBJ could send out 3 buses and send one bus down I75, another NE and another to the South. Spend a week on the road and try to increase their fanbase.

Closed Thread