HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Columbus Thread III (All City/Arena Questions, Ticket Exchange, Meetups, etc in here)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-26-2011, 02:56 PM
  #76
SuperGenius
Moderator
For Duty & Humanity!
 
SuperGenius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,556
vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
I picked up a white tc Johanson jersey last night and they did add tax to the ticket price. Also they would not let me use my sth 15% blue line discount.
Same experience here. I looked back at the Voracek I bought and I was indeed charged tax.

I wonder why they don't let us use the STH discount?
edit: found out why no discount. apparently all game worn proceeds goes to CBJ foundation. did not know that!

__________________
--
"Good night, good hockey...good riddance to the Columbus cannon that makes your ears bleed." - @BroadStBull (Sam Carchidi, Flyers beat reporter)

Last edited by SuperGenius: 01-26-2011 at 06:12 PM.
SuperGenius is offline  
Old
01-26-2011, 04:31 PM
  #77
Derby
Pilsners in Prague
 
Derby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,375
vCash: 500
The Arch City Army did not impress me on the initial outing. Spirit and enthusiasm is welcomed, of course. The very, very, few times I did notice them from my seat in 105 was because they were so off kilter in the rapid-fire chanting of one of the standard hockey chants.

I read on their FB page that they were chanting "wake up lower bowl". Didn't hear that at all. I was actually watching the game. The group seems like a fairly forced, artificial deal. Still confused by the bizzare and obscure historical arch reference which means nothing to the city in this day and age. Certainly arches have nothing to do with the national image of Cbus, CBJ, or hockey even remotely. Just confusing, and their resistance and defensive attitude to a name revision is puzzling.

I love a loud crowd, but in response to the game, not random "soccer-style" gibberish coming from the rafters. Matt the Mask got a loud chant or two going from over in 114-115!

Derby is offline  
Old
01-27-2011, 03:02 AM
  #78
Seguins Dragon*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In Carls Garage
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,613
vCash: 500
2 Canadians Just Coming Up For Good Time...

Me and my buddy are looking to get the best hockey experience from every city.

Try to do 1 or 2 cities a year.

Columbus has come up, we are coming from Canada... looking for March 15th vs Bruins and March 17th versus wings.

Should we buy straight from ticketmaster? scalpers?

How should we spend the 16th? The day of no hockey?... What is cool or must things to do around Columbus.

Where are good places to eat?... Not high end or anything but good quality food, even pub grub is good or places suggested and things to do... or a signature place perhaps with a signature dish (Man VS Food fans )

Thanks guys!!

Seguins Dragon* is offline  
Old
01-27-2011, 07:43 AM
  #79
Matt Foley
Living in a van
 
Matt Foley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Down by the river
Posts: 2,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguins Dragon View Post
Me and my buddy are looking to get the best hockey experience from every city.

Try to do 1 or 2 cities a year.

Columbus has come up, we are coming from Canada... looking for March 15th vs Bruins and March 17th versus wings.

Should we buy straight from ticketmaster? scalpers?

How should we spend the 16th? The day of no hockey?... What is cool or must things to do around Columbus.

Where are good places to eat?... Not high end or anything but good quality food, even pub grub is good or places suggested and things to do... or a signature place perhaps with a signature dish (Man VS Food fans )

Thanks guys!!
Adam Richman visited a few places here in town last year:

Thurman's Cafe
Ohio Deli
Schmidt's

I'm a big fan of the Thurmanator burger myself.





Last edited by Matt Foley: 01-27-2011 at 07:51 AM.
Matt Foley is offline  
Old
01-27-2011, 08:20 AM
  #80
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,537
vCash: 500
There is an earlier version of this thread somewhere that has tons of info about the Arena District and Columbus, in general. It might be helpful to search it out, because it really has pretty much everything you could want to know about the area. Hope you have a great trip and enjoyable hockey to watch!

pete goegan is offline  
Old
01-27-2011, 10:30 AM
  #81
Seguins Dragon*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In Carls Garage
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
There is an earlier version of this thread somewhere that has tons of info about the Arena District and Columbus, in general. It might be helpful to search it out, because it really has pretty much everything you could want to know about the area. Hope you have a great trip and enjoyable hockey to watch!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
Adam Richman visited a few places here in town last year:

Thurman's Cafe
Ohio Deli
Schmidt's

I'm a big fan of the Thurmanator burger myself.



awesome guys, thanks!!!

I will try to dig up that thread, curious if there are any museums or anything I should check out??

What is Columbus/Ohio signature food dish?? (Buffalo has wings, Phillidelphia has steak and cheese.. ect...)

Seguins Dragon* is offline  
Old
01-27-2011, 10:56 AM
  #82
Columbus Mike
Next CBJ GM
 
Columbus Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 708
vCash: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguins Dragon View Post
What is Columbus/Ohio signature food dish?? (Buffalo has wings, Phillidelphia has steak and cheese.. ect...)

Columbus Mike is offline  
Old
01-27-2011, 10:57 AM
  #83
Matt Foley
Living in a van
 
Matt Foley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Down by the river
Posts: 2,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguins Dragon View Post
awesome guys, thanks!!!

I will try to dig up that thread, curious if there are any museums or anything I should check out??

What is Columbus/Ohio signature food dish?? (Buffalo has wings, Phillidelphia has steak and cheese.. ect...)
As for what to do, here's a helpful link:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...mbus_Ohio.html

Columbus IMO doesn't have one signature food; it's pretty much a chain restaurant haven with some unique places thrown in. German Village (just south of downtown) has a lot of neat places eat and imbibe. The area around the arena also has some nice places as well - the RBar in particular is a must-visit for out-of-town hockey fans.

Edit: if there's one signature food in Columbus, Columbus Mike has it pegged.

Matt Foley is offline  
Old
01-27-2011, 11:02 AM
  #84
BJFan1
Registered User
 
BJFan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguins Dragon View Post
awesome guys, thanks!!!

I will try to dig up that thread, curious if there are any museums or anything I should check out??

What is Columbus/Ohio signature food dish?? (Buffalo has wings, Phillidelphia has steak and cheese.. ect...)
Right near the arena, there is a few really good food places to check out. There is BD's (a make-your-own-all-you-can-eat-stir-fry place), Ted's (specializing in Buffalo burgers, and meat in general), the Garage Bar has some pretty good bar food.

Signature food dish??? I don't know if there's anything really here that you can't get elsewhere... but I would go check out Thurman's for that burger!!!

Stuff to do in Columbus on the off-day.... the Columbus Zoo is the #1 zoo in the US if you are in to that kind of stuff... cool place to spend a couple hours and not too expensive. Downtown there is the Columbus Museum of Art, you could check out their website to see what kind of exhibit they have going on... there is a also a place called COSI, it is a science exploration center... mainly for the younger folk but still enjoyable. You could check the schedules for some of the theater's downtown and see if there is any shows in town, or you could always head into the suburbs and check out some of the large malls that Columbus features, Easton Town Market of Polaris Fashion Place. Something to note as well... Polaris has a LOT of excellent restaurants featuring a large variety of foods. I would recommend The Pub as a place to check out... LOTS of different beers to enjoy :-D

Enjoy your visit to Columbus!!!

BJFan1 is offline  
Old
01-27-2011, 12:23 PM
  #85
Seguins Dragon*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In Carls Garage
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus Mike View Post
Never been to White Castle... that is a MUST go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
As for what to do, here's a helpful link:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...mbus_Ohio.html

Columbus IMO doesn't have one signature food; it's pretty much a chain restaurant haven with some unique places thrown in. German Village (just south of downtown) has a lot of neat places eat and imbibe. The area around the arena also has some nice places as well - the RBar in particular is a must-visit for out-of-town hockey fans.

Edit: if there's one signature food in Columbus, Columbus Mike has it pegged.
Ya during Man V Food it mentioned the German District, so I will hit up that probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJFan1 View Post
Right near the arena, there is a few really good food places to check out. There is BD's (a make-your-own-all-you-can-eat-stir-fry place), Ted's (specializing in Buffalo burgers, and meat in general), the Garage Bar has some pretty good bar food.

Signature food dish??? I don't know if there's anything really here that you can't get elsewhere... but I would go check out Thurman's for that burger!!!

Stuff to do in Columbus on the off-day.... the Columbus Zoo is the #1 zoo in the US if you are in to that kind of stuff... cool place to spend a couple hours and not too expensive. Downtown there is the Columbus Museum of Art, you could check out their website to see what kind of exhibit they have going on... there is a also a place called COSI, it is a science exploration center... mainly for the younger folk but still enjoyable. You could check the schedules for some of the theater's downtown and see if there is any shows in town, or you could always head into the suburbs and check out some of the large malls that Columbus features, Easton Town Market of Polaris Fashion Place. Something to note as well... Polaris has a LOT of excellent restaurants featuring a large variety of foods. I would recommend The Pub as a place to check out... LOTS of different beers to enjoy :-D

Enjoy your visit to Columbus!!!
Awesome!!

Thanks!!

Big fan of zoos so may do that, the pub sounds like a good visit... ya, the Thurman Cafe looks like a MUST visit too.

Appreciate the input guys!!

Seguins Dragon* is offline  
Old
01-27-2011, 12:38 PM
  #86
fox2usp
Inbred Cat
 
fox2usp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pumpkinville, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguins Dragon View Post
Never been to White Castle... that is a MUST go



Ya during Man V Food it mentioned the German District, so I will hit up that probably.



Awesome!!

Thanks!!

Big fan of zoos so may do that, the pub sounds like a good visit... ya, the Thurman Cafe looks like a MUST visit too.

Appreciate the input guys!!
I would take a look at COSI (Center of Science and Industry). It's a pretty neat place. You can check it out here: http://cosi.org/

__________________
"I don't think I'll live long enough to forgive Howson for knocking off my rose colored glasses. He's a horrible, wretched, little stinker of a man. I just hope he wakes up in the morning and can't poop." -CBJCougar (on the Klesla trade), March 23, 2011
fox2usp is offline  
Old
01-27-2011, 01:27 PM
  #87
SuperGenius
Moderator
For Duty & Humanity!
 
SuperGenius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,556
vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus Mike View Post
And when you do go there, don't get the chicken, cheesburgers or whatever else they're trying to add to the menu these days. standard hamburgers. at least 5. fries or onion rings and if you really want to complete the experience, chase it all down with one of their chocolate shakes :^)

SuperGenius is offline  
Old
01-27-2011, 01:57 PM
  #88
Columbus Mike
Next CBJ GM
 
Columbus Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 708
vCash: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguins Dragon View Post
Big fan of zoos so may do that, the pub sounds like a good visit... ya, the Thurman Cafe looks like a MUST visit too.

Appreciate the input guys!!
The zoo is good, but is probably a 30 minute drive from downtown, longer depending on the time of day.

Mmmm, Thurman's.

Columbus Mike is offline  
Old
01-27-2011, 02:43 PM
  #89
cbjgirl
Just thinking
 
cbjgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: about last summer.
Country: United States
Posts: 3,233
vCash: 500
Concerning the zoo...

http://www.columbuszoo.org/

cbjgirl is offline  
Old
01-27-2011, 03:03 PM
  #90
DEF
Registered User
 
DEF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: White Castle's
Country: United States
Posts: 124
vCash: 500
Schmidt's was mentioned above. They serve two items that should be served at the arena. The Bahama Mama (a spicy sausage) and their cream puff. Every one says Columbus doesn't have a signature dish. I nominate these two.

DEF is offline  
Old
01-27-2011, 03:17 PM
  #91
Hipster Letestu
Registered User
 
Hipster Letestu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Westerville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEF View Post
Schmidt's was mentioned above. They serve two items that should be served at the arena. The Bahama Mama (a spicy sausage) and their cream puff. Every one says Columbus doesn't have a signature dish. I nominate these two.
Not a Bahama Mama fan myself, but that cream puff they serve is a thing of beauty, plus it kind of goes with the Blue Jackets

Hipster Letestu is offline  
Old
01-27-2011, 03:20 PM
  #92
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Jaxs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,083
vCash: 500
If Bahama Mama's were available at the games, I'd get one now and again, but the cream puffs are out of this world.

Jaxs is offline  
Old
01-27-2011, 09:33 PM
  #93
DEF
Registered User
 
DEF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: White Castle's
Country: United States
Posts: 124
vCash: 500
When I ushered at the Owl's games, we got payed $5.00 cash at the end of the second period. Always got a Bahama Mama and a Linenkugles (sp)Red draft and got change back. I seem to remember both of them tasting better back then. The cream puffs haven't changed.

DEF is offline  
Old
01-28-2011, 08:39 AM
  #94
kshymkiw
Registered User
 
kshymkiw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 971
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
If Bahama Mama's were available at the games, I'd get one now and again, but the cream puffs are out of this world.
Phillips Coney Island really needs to be serving their coneys at the game, instead of the Skyline Crap

kshymkiw is offline  
Old
01-28-2011, 09:17 AM
  #95
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
If Bahama Mama's were available at the games, I'd get one now and again, but the cream puffs are out of this world.
Agreed but I can't eat them any more. I few years ago, I did Weight Watchers (dropped 30 pounds to my college weight, which I have since put most back on, but I disgress...) and someone calculated the points (a WW thing) for one Schmidt's cream puff and it was about three days worth of eating. So worth it, though.

__________________
"Every game, every point is a necessity." -- Ty Conklin, January 2007
"I'll have a chance to compete for the post of first issue. This is the most important thing." -- Sergei Bobrovsky, June 2012
Double-Shift Lassť is offline  
Old
01-28-2011, 10:08 AM
  #96
kshymkiw
Registered User
 
kshymkiw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 971
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguins Dragon View Post
Never been to White Castle... that is a MUST go
Just make sure you're close to the toilet afterwards. They don't call them 'Sliders' for nothing.

Thurmans - expect a 2 hour wait if you go during peak times. It is ok for the novelty of going, but the food is moderate and the service sucks. Living right around the corner from the place I just laugh everytime I walk out my front door and see these idiots standing in line for 2 hours at Thurmans.

kshymkiw is offline  
Old
01-28-2011, 11:44 AM
  #97
BJFan1
Registered User
 
BJFan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by astall35 View Post
Not a Bahama Mama fan myself, but that cream puff they serve is a thing of beauty, plus it kind of goes with the Blue Jackets
So are you saying the Blue Jackets are light and crispy on the outside, but are whipped and soft when you get to the core of them???


BJFan1 is offline  
Old
01-30-2011, 10:20 AM
  #98
IBleedUnionBlue
Registered User
 
IBleedUnionBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,120
vCash: 500
One of the biggest failures of the CBJ organization is to reach out to the state of Ohio to improve the fanbase. The Reds are traveling all over Ohio, Indiana & Kentucky. Yesterday the Reds were in Lima, Celina, Muncie Indiana. Today they are in Hamilton, Lexington and Columbus.

Would it kill the CBJ to organize a 10 day trip around Ohio to try to reach new fans? Brandon Phillips was shaking hands and signing stuff yesterday in Celina. Who the heck on this board besides me has ever been in Celina? Put the Jackets on a bus and hit the road outside the 270 beltway.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline  
Old
01-30-2011, 10:53 AM
  #99
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan
 
mt-svk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
One of the biggest failures of the CBJ organization is to reach out to the state of Ohio to improve the fanbase. The Reds are traveling all over Ohio, Indiana & Kentucky. Yesterday the Reds were in Lima, Celina, Muncie Indiana. Today they are in Hamilton, Lexington and Columbus.

Would it kill the CBJ to organize a 10 day trip around Ohio to try to reach new fans? Brandon Phillips was shaking hands and signing stuff yesterday in Celina. Who the heck on this board besides me has ever been in Celina? Put the Jackets on a bus and hit the road outside the 270 beltway.
Good idea but when? Before or after season? Or maybe some games play in other towns in Ohio?

mt-svk is offline  
Old
01-30-2011, 12:58 PM
  #100
IBleedUnionBlue
Registered User
 
IBleedUnionBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Good idea but when? Before or after season? Or maybe some games play in other towns in Ohio?
Off season. The Reds are traveling now, approximately 2 weeks prior to training camp opening. The CBJ could send out 3 buses and send one bus down I75, another NE and another to the South. Spend a week on the road and try to increase their fanbase.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.