HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Francois Beauchemin to Vancouver

Old
01-27-2011, 03:10 PM
Cogburn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
That's exactly what they should be doing.

Nowhere did I say that the Canucks would make that trade -- simply that's what it would take.
I didn't mean to accuse you of doing such, but you made a clear statement that neither side would not do this deal above the one I quoted. We don't want him, you don't want to trade him, I think even the most radical Leaf and Canuck fans can agree this is a bad proposal.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:12 PM
last row purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Ho View Post
I didn't know trade proposals were supposed to demolish one team's chance of winning a cup.
Terrible.
fair enough.
We'll keep our top pairing defenseman who has won the cup in the past because he couldnt possibly help your team.

As I said in another thread, I like Beauch. I just wanted to see where Canucks fans see their team's depth.

last row purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:16 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by last row purple View Post
fair enough.
We'll keep out top pairing defenseman who has won the cup in the past because he couldnt possibly help your team.

As I said in another thread, I like Beauch. I just wanted to see where Canucks fans see their team's depth.
He would cause more problems then good. Our depth is ridiculous, and what this will mean is Tanev and/or Sweatt will step up, and if not them,Parent, KConn, Baumer, Sauve, Paetsch, Oberg and others who could make the step up if somehow Tanev does a 180 and Sweatt chokes.

Old
01-27-2011, 03:20 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Hurts us more than helps us. We've already got 6 top 4 dmen in the lineup and we don't need a 7th making 4mil in the prese box as well

Edler (3.25) - Erhoff (3.1)
Hamhuis (4.5) - Bieksa (3.75)
Ballard (4.2) - Salo (3.5)
Beauchemin (3.8)

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:26 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Think again. Not the best players, but definitely guys like Burrows or Raymond to get the Leafs talking. Toronto isn't shopping for picks, and the only hole in their lineup are on the top line (and in goal).

Beauchemin plays on Toronto's top pair (matching up against the other team's top units) and averages the exact same TOI as Dion Phaneuf (Dion playing a substantially larger percentage of his time on the PP). They are aslo perfect partners and Toronto has nobody to replace his skillset in the near future.
Have you ever thought it may be better to say nothing at all than almost single-handedly make an entire fan-base look dumb by way of the things you say?

It wouldn't take Vancouver's best players? You don't say?

Beauchemin gets minutes, that's why he's been exposed on countless occasions. It's not hard to see he's a good defensemen but needs to be sheltered in order to become more consistent, the type of defender you want.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:29 PM
Co Ho*

Quote:
fair enough.
We'll keep our top pairing defenseman who has won the cup in the past because he couldnt possibly help your team.

In a world where there is no salary cap and prospects have no future, you would be absolutely correct.

Last edited by Co Ho*: 01-27-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Co Ho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:31 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Have you ever thought it may be better to say nothing at all than almost single-handedly make an entire fan-base look dumb by way of the things you say?

It wouldn't take Vancouver's best players? You don't say?

Beauchemin gets minutes, that's why he's been exposed on countless occasions. It's not hard to see he's a good defensemen but needs to be sheltered in order to become more consistent, the type of defender you want.
Beauchemin gets minutes because he is a versatile defenceman who can play and succeed in all situations. He's been exposed on countless occasions much like every Leaf defenceman this year because of a total lack of puck support by the forwards, and very sub-par goaltending.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:35 PM
mohare

Cody Hodgson?

mohare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:39 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Beauchemin gets minutes because he is a versatile defenceman who can play and succeed in all situations. He's been exposed on countless occasions much like every Leaf defenceman this year because of a total lack of puck support by the forwards, and very sub-par goaltending.
Ok, he's a fantastic defenceman. In order to pry him out of Toronto, what do you realistically think it would take from Vancouver's side? I'm not being facetious, I'm genuinely curious as to what you feel would be a fair trade.

Would Kesler do it? Or Hodgson, Raymond and a Van 1st?

Diamonddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:39 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
I just wanted to see where Canucks fans see their team's depth.
1) Hamhuis
2) Bieksa
3) Ehrhoff
4) Ballard

5-8) Alberts, Rome, Tanev, Sweatt

And that assume Salo doesn't play a single game this season.

Not ideal but it still leaves the team with four top four D (or at least players that had that role in the near past - three of the four have been in that role for a number of years now including this season).

Would Beauchemin help the Canucks? Of course he would. Problem is, he wouldn't be worth the cost in terms of what the Leafs would want for him. Especially since there's a good chance Edler will be ready for the post-season plus whatever games Salo is able to play (before he gets hurt again....)

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:41 PM
mohare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
Ok, he's a fantastic defenceman. In order to pry him out of Toronto, what do you realistically think it would take from Vancouver's side? I'm not being facetious, I'm genuinely curious as to what you feel would be a fair trade.

Just Hodgson. Bit if I flip my on my biased leaf fan setting then i'd probably say somethign like hodgson + 3rd.

mohare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:41 PM
K2B
angel morgan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohare View Post
Cody Hodgson?
Counter: Kadri for Salo

K2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:43 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post

Well, you're asking 2 distinct questions here. "fairness" has no place in trades, only what makes each team better.

In terms of what it would take to get Beauchemin out of Vancouver, you have to ask yourself what would from Vancouver make the Leafs a better team without Beauchemin. In this case, Kesler would obviously do it. Raymond/Burrows would be close depend on how they might fit opposite Phil Kessel.

If that doesn't work in making Vancouver a better team (it doesn't), that's fine, Toronto has absolutely no need to move Beauchemin.

Old
01-27-2011, 03:43 PM
m9
HFBoards Sponsor

It's just the next year on the contract that has me saying no. I don't want him at the expense of losing Ehrhoff or Bieksa in the off-season.

Nothing against the player, just not the right fit.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:45 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
who said Salo is returning?...
He has been practicing with the team since late December if I remember right.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:46 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Think again. Not the best players, but definitely guys like Burrows or Raymond to get the Leafs talking. Toronto isn't shopping for picks, and the only hole in their lineup are on the top line (and in goal).

Beauchemin plays on Toronto's top pair (matching up against the other team's top units) and averages the exact same TOI as Dion Phaneuf (Dion playing a substantially larger percentage of his time on the PP). They are aslo perfect partners and Toronto has nobody to replace his skillset in the near future.
This would mean a lot more if we weren't talking about a 30 year old soon to be UFA player playing on a bottom 5 team. When a team needs as many changes as the Leafs do, stubborngly holding onto a guy like Beauchemin isn't exactly the smartest thing to do. Plus if you could clear his contract for say a 2nd round pick wouldn't that give you the necessary cap space for a Kaberle and Schenn raise?

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:47 PM
alpine4life

Quote:
With Edler out for at least a month and a half, and Salo's status up in the air, what would the Canucks have to give up to get Frank?

Beauch brings a booming slapshot from the point as well as solid defensive play ideal for blocking shots on the PK. He would slot in to the 5-6 pairing.
really, they need more defense (even if Edler is injured)???

They'll be fine by the time april 10th comes around the corner, so no need for him there.

Gillis hangs up w/o even listening to anything.

alpine4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:48 PM
alpine4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
yep but cant return at the very moment due to cap reason

alpine4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:49 PM
last row purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
Then he should be back for the next game... no?

I'll believe it when I see it. He's damaged goods and I highly doubt they let him play.

last row purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:50 PM
0123456789*

Salo will be returning shortly, he about 3-4 weeks out by the latest estimate and is skating with the team. Alberts and Rome are only out for a while longer. Tanev has been a amazing surprise and you guys will hear alot more about him in the coming years, he is fine to fill any hole for a week or two until the other guys start coming back.

The reason Edler went to have the surgery is because the Canucks have depth and with their position can afford to have him out of the lineup before the playoffs start. Like this he will be healthy and not have to play through the injury.

There is absolutely ZERO chance the team trades any peaces for a over payed dman right now.

They are at the top of the standings and have.
Bueksa Ehrnhoff Ballard Hamhuis who can all eat up 25min + each and then they have Tanev who has proven to be reliable enough to eat up some minuets and Lee Sweatt with 9min or so of ice time isnt a big deal.

Within the next 3-4 weeks they will have Rome and Alberts coming back AND most likely Salo depending on Edlers prognosis(if Edler will only be out for 4 or so weeks which in his situation is possible then the team will have to think long and hard about bringing Salo back as they wont be able to bring Edler back of LTIR.

So as you can see there is ZERO need for him or any other dman EVEN if they came FREE.

0123456789* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:

I'll believe it when I see it. He's damaged goods and I highly doubt they let him play.
Gillis, AV & the whole coaching staff have all said he's our best dman and the defence hasn't been playing full strength without him.

Gillis said in interview this morning that he's close and that he'll be playing again before the playoffs.

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
0123456789*

Quote:

Salo has been skating with the team for a while and has been expected to be 100% within the next 3-4 weeks. Due to cap problems though he hasnt been able to rejoin the team and team maintained he is at 80% for the past month or so. Within a few weeks he will be back with the team if not sooner(unless Edler is expected to only miss a month or so at which point the team is in the same position they are now, which is not have enough cap room for all their dman)

0123456789* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
This would mean a lot more if we weren't talking about a 30 year old soon to be UFA player playing on a bottom 5 team. When a team needs as many changes as the Leafs do, stubborngly holding onto a guy like Beauchemin isn't exactly the smartest thing to do. Plus if you could clear his contract for say a 2nd round pick wouldn't that give you the necessary cap space for a Kaberle and Schenn raise?
Like I said, I'm not trying to sell you on him. I'm simply explaining his value to the Leafs.

Toronto doesn't need a ton of changes, they need 3 substantial changes -- top line LW (currently Joey Crabb), top line C (currently Tyler Bozak who needs to be on the 3rd) and starting goaltender. The D is fine, the 2nd line is fine, the 3rd line would be fine (if Bozak was the centre), the 4th line for the most part is irrelevant and happens to be fine (Brown-Brent/Boyce-Orr).

Beauchemin's salary cap space has absolutely nothing to do with Kaberle or Schenn. If Toronto trades Beauchemin, they'll need to replace him, and it's going to cost more than $3.8m to do so. Nobody in the system is capable of doing so either. Toronto has room to increase Kaberle's salary a bit from $4.25m, and the additional cap space required for Schenn will have to come from the area of non-puckmoving big salaried defenceman (Komisarek or Phaneuf).

Old
01-27-2011, 03:56 PM
RobertKron

Quote:

Who said anything about next game?

Even forgetting about Salo for the moment, the Canucks still have Hamhuis, Bieksa, Ehrhoff, and Ballard. Tanev has shown himself to be capable of playing 3rd pairing minutes, Sweatt can play as a fill-in, they'll have Alberts and Rome back eventually, and Edler should be back before the playoffs. It's not like they're all that bad off.

They're not likely to panic and throw away assets to get a guy that will upset the salary situation that they've worked hard to establish.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Actually, that could be the case.

Quote:
The only damaged goods are the OPs of these stupid threads and Burke if he thinks these trades have any grounding. Scratch that, Burkes on the list anyway. Salo was "damaged goods" last playoffs, and was still our best player, prior to take a shot in the nuts. It's widely accepted that Salo's gone in the offseason, but Gillis has shown nothing but loyalty to vets associated with this franchise, giving them every opportunity to change management's minds. You're ridiculous trolling comments are akin to fans of any other fanbase saying Gaborik shouldn't, can't and won't play.