HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

First Hockey Tournament - Some questions?

Old
01-27-2011, 12:39 AM
vinogradov8

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to vinogradov8
First Hockey Tournament - Some questions?

Alright, im going to my first hockey tournament in march, and I wanted to ask a few questions about how the tournaments go about and things I should do. First off, I am the biggest player on our team, im 6' 1" and I weigh 210 lbs, ive been playing like 1.5 years (this is a rec league) and im 17 (midget). I lay a hit anytime I can (if its an opponent like some people on our team that will do stupid stuff like mid-ice hit a kid half their size) and play pretty physical. They said they will play me as one of the wingers during the tournament since my backwards skating is not that amazing. Anyways, here are some questions:

1. What is something you wish you knew before going?
2. Should I play really physical to get momentum going for the team or just play "passively"?

Also, what would you recommend I do in my position? I just want to have fun and not let the team down, i never have problems with penalties or anything but I don't know if the refs there are "give some, take some" refs.

and another thing about checking from behind: It's fine to hit somebody from behind against the boards, but if there is distance between them and the boards then its hitting from behind right?

vinogradov8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 05:55 PM
noobman

Here are some things you probably won't think about till it's too late:

Bring a snack and a drink, or at least change for a Gatorade and a candy bar
Bring one undershirt for every game you play
Stretch after every game
After every game, take your skates off. New socks are optional.

If there's 1-3 hours between games, I usually just leave my shinpads, socks, and hockey pants on. I re-tape them for every game.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 05:59 PM
mbeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinogradov8 View Post
Alright, im going to my first hockey tournament in march, and I wanted to ask a few questions about how the tournaments go about and things I should do. First off, I am the biggest player on our team, im 6' 1" and I weigh 210 lbs, ive been playing like 1.5 years (this is a rec league) and im 17 (midget). I lay a hit anytime I can (if its an opponent like some people on our team that will do stupid stuff like mid-ice hit a kid half their size) and play pretty physical. They said they will play me as one of the wingers during the tournament since my backwards skating is not that amazing. Anyways, here are some questions:

1. What is something you wish you knew before going?
2. Should I play really physical to get momentum going for the team or just play "passively"?

Also, what would you recommend I do in my position? I just want to have fun and not let the team down, i never have problems with penalties or anything but I don't know if the refs there are "give some, take some" refs.

and another thing about checking from behind: It's fine to hit somebody from behind against the boards, but if there is distance between them and the boards then its hitting from behind right?
Basic rule of thumb is never hit from behind. I see what you're getting at though and if someone is up against the boards you can sort of 'guide' them into the boards even if it'd mean you hitting them from behind. Generally though, just stay away from this sort of play. It's how people get hurt.

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 03:10 AM
iCanada

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeam View Post
Basic rule of thumb is never hit from behind. I see what you're getting at though and if someone is up against the boards you can sort of 'guide' them into the boards even if it'd mean you hitting them from behind. Generally though, just stay away from this sort of play. It's how people get hurt.
If you NEED to check a guy from behind grab (well, not literally grab, guide with fisted gloves) his hips and thrust them into the boards, don't hit him in the mid section. It is perfectly fine to take away the space he has to maneuver the puck, but definitely not okay to hit em in a normal fashion.

It is more board play then anything, but if their hips are stuck against the boards... you are going to win the puck battle. Perfectly legal too, being a defenceman I've been doing it since I was like ten.

iCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 09:15 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Play how you always play.

You might want to do some light stretching after the game to help with the lactic acid. Also east a banana and some gatorade after each game. For food, I usually would make up a huge batch of rice or pasta and buy a rotisserie chicken and just saw off hunks all the time. Make sure to dry out the gear and put a fan in front of it to speed it all up.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote