HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Matt Walker (PHI) and Ales Kotalik (CGY) [both clear]

Old
01-27-2011, 05:49 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by o Hamhuis 2 x View Post
I hate these Flyers fans that just hate Walker because we traded Gagne to get him. He seriously wasn't doing too bad but we should've given him more chances to play.
Who's sitting?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 05:50 PM
o Hamhuis 2 x

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
He costs 1.7 million to sit on the bench. That money can be used to upgrade a position rather than lay it to waste.
What I'm saying is that it wouldn't be a waste if we actually played him. He wasn't doing bad when he was playing.

o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 05:51 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Thank god that Rathje imitator is on waivers (Walker).

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 05:53 PM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

Was wondering when the Flyers were finally going to waive him

PADevil3034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 05:54 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevils3034 View Post
Was wondering when the Flyers were finally going to waive him
It took way too long.

Old
01-27-2011, 06:17 PM
straka91*

Way to much hate going on towards this guy. Blame the GM who offered him the contract not him for accepting it.

I hope a team with little grit in the back end picks him. He's a solid 6 d-man when healthy.

straka91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 06:18 PM
gotmonte

But but but, Kotalik has a BOOMING SHOT FROM THE POINT! Hes Invaluable

I remember hearing this a few years back BEFORE he signed with the Rangers.

What a waste of space he is. And NO it is Not a product of a bad contract. It is a Product of a BAD PLAYER

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 06:20 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Walker played solid when he was in for the Flyers. With that being said, making that much money to be the 7th D isn't a good idea. But if there is an injury I do not trust Bart in the playoffs back there

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 06:20 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Kotalik looked great with the Oilers a couple of years ago, but I guess he was just playing for a contract because he hasn't looked good since.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 06:22 PM
o Hamhuis 2 x

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Thank god that Rathje imitator is on waivers (Walker).
You need to give him a break man. He got hurt once and all of a sudden he's Mike Rathje who was hurt for 3 years. And you can't even compare their skill. The guy got that contract. I'm sure he didn't ask for it.

Old
01-27-2011, 06:22 PM
o Hamhuis 2 x

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
Walker played solid when he was in for the Flyers. With that being said, making that much money to be the 7th D isn't a good idea. But if there is an injury I do not trust Bart in the playoffs back there
Thank god somebody agrees with me

Old
01-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Walkingthroughforest
Johnny B. Goode

w00t!
3 million off the books
With Conroy coming off the books as well, and if we can get anyone to bite for Hagman plus dump Staois, we could add a good player at the deadline.

Walkingthroughforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 07:27 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
We haven't seen anywhere close to the best of Walker. He missed most of the year due to injury, it isn't like he was going to step on the ice and play at a high level right away.

I understand the antipathy towards him as he was essentially the negligent return from Gagne, but he hasn't been given a fair chance by the fanbase. Not that I'm saying he's a 1.7 million dollar defenseman (who the hell gave him that contract anyway? That's as bad as the Jones contract).
Walker is a tough #6 that's a #7 on a good team. Coach Q LOVED him for some reason and rode him hard on a team that reached the WCF. Off a solid year on a great team, Tampa gave him four years for 1.7. Every Hawk fan said they'd regret it within the first year.

We were right.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 08:39 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by o Hamhuis 2 x View Post
What I'm saying is that it wouldn't be a waste if we actually played him. He wasn't doing bad when he was playing.
Okay, we should play him. Fine.

Who can you justify sitting in his place?

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 08:41 PM
brian822

Walker as their #7 is hell of a lot better then Bartulis.

brian822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 09:00 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Seems an obvious move. Not a long time to the deadline really and with Philly sitting pretty, even if there should be injuries now, they can cope until the deadline where they might well go for some cheap insurance guy on D anyway. Just adds cap-flexibility if there's a deal to be made.

Homer knows that they're legit this season and will likely go all out to improve the chances for a cup. Also because they have no needs to address for next season other than re-signing Leino.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 09:19 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy-4-50 View Post
Had some nice seasons in Buffalo and from all accounts the management liked him. with the injurys maybe they'll snag him.
No thank you. We have no interest in getting Kotalik back.

To this day, it stuns me to think how Sather could give Kotalik a 3-year, 9M contract with a NTC. This is Ales Kotalik we're talking about. One of the worst contracts I've ever seen Sather give to someone, and there have been many. Props to Sather though for getting Kotalik to waive his NTC and managing to get rid of him last year. Never liked the trade for the Flames.

I was just thinking to myself last night. How is it that Kotalik hasn't been waived yet? Well, I was right on time it looks like. 3 goals in 20 games is unacceptable for a player who is only useful for scoring, even worse for a player getting paid 3M a year. Kotalik doesn't do much else; he doesn't use his body, he can't play defense, and he can't set teammates up. It looks like he can't even score goals anymore, which is the reason why he got the contract in the first place, to pot goals.

I trust that Darcy is smart and won't ever get Kotalik back. He had some good years here, don't get me wrong, but there was way too much inconsistency and floating in his game for my liking. He could be a better player if he used his size but he never got that down.

Good for Calgary to get his contract off the cap. Honestly, IMO, Kotalik doesn't even belong in the NHL anymore. I'm surprised he's not in the minors or overseas already.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 09:41 PM
timmymac7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
As a CGY fan. ****ing rights!!!
I like the way u think sir!!! Glad to see him leave, he was just a waste of oxygen in the locker room!

timmymac7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 10:46 PM
racer90

can't believe kotes was waived.........................................

racer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 11:21 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Rangers should claim Walker. they can use a depth dman. remember when the Rangers had Strudwick, Walker would add leadership and grit to the defense and he sticks up for his teammates. come on sather claim Walker.

thanks for Brandon Prust 7 goals so far.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 11:51 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Rangers should claim Walker. they can use a depth dman. remember when the Rangers had Strudwick, Walker would add leadership and grit to the defense and he sticks up for his teammates. come on sather claim Walker.

thanks for Brandon Prust 7 goals so far.
We'd be grateful if you could take Walker away from this organization.

Old
01-28-2011, 12:08 AM
LeafsandSharksfan
Founder of NGA

Leafs could take Kotalik on re-entry.

It's that bad.

LeafsandSharksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 12:08 AM
DBU
Gotta Go Fast

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsandSharksfan View Post
Leafs could take Kotalik on re-entry.

It's that bad.
Please?

We'll send you flowers...

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 12:19 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
No thank you. We have no interest in getting Kotalik back.

To this day, it stuns me to think how Sather could give Kotalik a 3-year, 9M contract with a NTC. This is Ales Kotalik we're talking about. One of the worst contracts I've ever seen Sather give to someone, and there have been many. Props to Sather though for getting Kotalik to waive his NTC and managing to get rid of him last year. Never liked the trade for the Flames.

I was just thinking to myself last night. How is it that Kotalik hasn't been waived yet? Well, I was right on time it looks like. 3 goals in 20 games is unacceptable for a player who is only useful for scoring, even worse for a player getting paid 3M a year. Kotalik doesn't do much else; he doesn't use his body, he can't play defense, and he can't set teammates up. It looks like he can't even score goals anymore, which is the reason why he got the contract in the first place, to pot goals.

I trust that Darcy is smart and won't ever get Kotalik back. He had some good years here, don't get me wrong, but there was way too much inconsistency and floating in his game for my liking. He could be a better player if he used his size but he never got that down.

Good for Calgary to get his contract off the cap. Honestly, IMO, Kotalik doesn't even belong in the NHL anymore. I'm surprised he's not in the minors or overseas already.
You have to give props to Sather for more than this. He has an amazing habit of handing out awful contracts BUT having the GM skills to pawn-off those ugly deals on other GM's *without* taking alot of garbage salaries in return (Gomez for example). Impressive - just don't let him get involved in negotiating contracts.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 12:20 AM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFan18 View Post
Yea but that trade was basically Prust for a cheaper Olli Jokinen who ended up playing better after a slow start to the season, Higgins who we had for like 3 months then never resigned, and Kotalik, and we all know his situation. I say Calgary got more talent but screwed over salary cap wise. But now with Higgins and Kotaliks contract out of the way id still rather have Jokinen (50 - 60 points potential) for 3 mil rather than Prust...
Sure but without that trade the Flames could have easily had both. And Kotalik's contact is not "out of the way." Best case scenario is paying a guy 1.5 million to not play on your team next year. But more likely he's 3 million wasted for this year and next. Flames are already spending the 2nd most money in the league. Wouldn't count on them replacing that 3 million cap hit even with Kotalik in the minors.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote