HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Nashville Pursue Iginla?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-15-2011, 09:29 AM
  #51
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
Since you later mention trading Blum (instead of Ryan Ellis), I'm assuming you are referring to Jonathon Blum not having a spot where I first bolded. If the Predators consider Ellis or Josi ready and they/Calgary prefer Blum, that's fine.

As for the second part I bolded, the Predators could certainly make a move for another center. Assuming it's a pendiing UFA brought in, then I would presume only one of Goc, O'Reilly, and the new center makes the team next season unless Lombardi does not return allowing a second to be re-upped- essentially giving Poile lots of options for next season. If a non-rental is brought in, that will be interesting.

Iginla fits for so many reasons. His age makes him a risk, but not a huge one. His salary makes him a larger risk only if he rapidly declines during those two years. There's really been no sign of that occurring to this point however (in my opinion). If he plays up to his normal standards, his salary really isn't an issue provided SK74, Goc, O'Reilly, etc. aren't looking for $3 million each next season.

I don't think Poile even considers this if Iginla comes available. It's certainly not typical for him anyway.
Truth be told, either Ellis or Blum because I think both are ready. Josi I think will need another year in Junior but he might be better than either of them.

Fact is Calgary want a young scoring forward which means Wilson. THis is a pipe dream and doesn't even address the main need in Nashville.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 10:38 AM
  #52
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Truth be told, either Ellis or Blum because I think both are ready. Josi I think will need another year in Junior but he might be better than either of them.

Fact is Calgary want a young scoring forward which means Wilson. THis is a pipe dream and doesn't even address the main need in Nashville.
Josi isn't in Juniors, he's in the AHL. I presume that's what you meant.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 04:23 PM
  #53
OpenWheel
Registered User
 
OpenWheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Keweenaw Peninsula
Country: United States
Posts: 1,967
vCash: 500
It's as if you have no knowledge whatsoever.

Study up!


Last edited by Seth Lake: 01-19-2011 at 04:29 PM. Reason: No name calling. Attack the thought, not the poster...
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 04:26 PM
  #54
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 17,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBourqueFan77 View Post
Nashville doesn't have the money to get Iginla...Erat eats up $5.2 mil of your pay roll and he's not all that nor is he worth that money either. 2011/2012 you guys have a bunch of RFA and UFA and you are going to take a hit against the cap of just under $2mil..2012/2013 your taking a cap hit and have a bunch of RFA and UFR as well...so you guys will have to dump alot of salary to even be considered at the table to get him.

Matt Lombardi...LMAO...he's only played 2 games and breaks like glass when hit, hence his concussion. His history of concussions go back to 2002/2003 season when Darian Hatcher (playing for the Red Wings) hit Lombardi and it's been a on going issue since then. There is $3.5 mil wasted as well. You guys have no speed up the middle, you don't have the talent to grind it out in the corners and Trotts has been there WAY to long. Trotts needs to go...new blood and a new system is much needed if you want to see, or spell, 2nd round.

Just an observation...
This was bad the first time you posted it.... How many times do you have to be told you're wrong?

No speed up the middle? O'Reilly, Lombardi, Goc and Legwand offer no speed? They might not be great scorers but I promise you, they offer speed. Have you ever really watched a hockey game?

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 04:28 PM
  #55
RayBourqueFan77*
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5
vCash: 500
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=849930

2010-2011 Nashville Predators Player Cap Hit and Salary Information is useless information? Lombardi's glass head is useless information? Hmmm might want to google Lombardi's concussion(s). Facts are facts...

RayBourqueFan77* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 04:29 PM
  #56
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBourqueFan77 View Post
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=849930

2010-2011 Nashville Predators Player Cap Hit and Salary Information is useless information? Lombardi's glass head is useless information? Hmmm might want to google Lombardi's concussion(s). Facts are facts...
When you can't even spell our coach's name, your credibility takes a big hit.

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 04:34 PM
  #57
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 17,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBourqueFan77 View Post
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=849930

2010-2011 Nashville Predators Player Cap Hit and Salary Information is useless information? Lombardi's glass head is useless information? Hmmm might want to google Lombardi's concussion(s). Facts are facts...
What facts???

This is Lombardi's first concusion since the Hatcher hit, and he's averaged 78 games a season since that concusion. How about that as a fact...

and using your link, we're 7m under the cap, or right at the mid point, hmmmm (facts are facts)

And next year, we're like 23m under the cap. I'm pretty sure Poile can budget all of our core players for less than 23m.....

You can't even troll right...

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 04:39 PM
  #58
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBourqueFan77 View Post
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=849930

2010-2011 Nashville Predators Player Cap Hit and Salary Information is useless information? Lombardi's glass head is useless information? Hmmm might want to google Lombardi's concussion(s). Facts are facts...
We are nowhere near the cap and Poile and the owners have the budget under control. If we were to make a move for Iginla or anyone else it would be within our budget because that's just the way we operate.

Your "facts" do not prove your case. Lombardi had one concussion prior to this season and missed ten months not due to the concussion, but rather due to the neck injury he sustained as a result of Hatcher's brutal elbow. Lombardi played several seasons prior to signing here without any problems. Therefore under your theory any player that has suffered a concussion at any point in their career is a major liability. I'm sure if we looked at your favorite team we'd find several of these liabilities on their roster too. It's an unfortunate situation...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 05:24 PM
  #59
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,824
vCash: 500
When I logged on just a moment ago I didn't expect to be graced by the presence of what has to be an actual hockey god. Not only is Boston one of the original six teams because this gentleman has watched a hockey game before, but he has also played on every Cup winning team in that franchise's history... this is astounding.

RayBourqueFan, your first mistake in these few posts was coming onto the message board of a team you obviously know nothing about to give your incorrect input. Your second mistake was actually posting it. This team CAN afford virtually any player in the league. A quick google search of "nashville predators capgeek" would have shown you that we have $8.8mil in cap space right now with about $1.5mil in bonuses. Next year that space goes to roughly $24.7mil.

Your posts would have been less hysterical had you bothered actually looking into Lombardi's history. I'm not really sure how he gets hit by DErian Hatcher (DRW) in the 2002-2003 season when he was playing with Saint John, but I'll just assume you meant 2004 NHL playoffs (since that's when it happened). As has been pointed out, he hasn't had another concussion until recently. It isn't an "on going issue". It's unfortunate, and your "LMAO" crap shows a level of immaturity consistent with the tone of the rest of your posts.

Anyway, that rant wasn't really to prove any point except this. While our team might not be an original six team, it's still an NHL organization ran by professionals who know more about the world of hockey than any of us on the outside. They certainly aren't "babes". A lot of us fans have been around this game for the past decade. Some of us even longer.We support our team. We support the game. We know the game. We love the game. Don't bring that condescending tone to our forum simply because you happened to have been born in an area that has a team with a long history. We'd all appreciate it.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 05:24 PM
  #60
token grinder
Registered User
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 4,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBourqueFan77 View Post
Nashville doesn't have the money to get Iginla...Erat eats up $5.2 mil of your pay roll and he's not all that nor is he worth that money either. 2011/2012 you guys have a bunch of RFA and UFA and you are going to take a hit against the cap of just under $2mil..2012/2013 your taking a cap hit and have a bunch of RFA and UFR as well...so you guys will have to dump alot of salary to even be considered at the table to get him.

Matt Lombardi...LMAO...he's only played 2 games and breaks like glass when hit, hence his concussion. His history of concussions go back to 2002/2003 season when Darian Hatcher (playing for the Red Wings) hit Lombardi and it's been a on going issue since then. There is $3.5 mil wasted as well. You guys have no speed up the middle, you don't have the talent to grind it out in the corners and Trotts has been there WAY to long. Trotts needs to go...new blood and a new system is much needed if you want to see, or spell, 2nd round.

Just an observation...
See why I hate everything about Boston BFC?......

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 05:36 PM
  #61
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
This line of discussion is over. It's all one-sided at this point. Someone is no longer among us...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 12:10 AM
  #62
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,709
vCash: 50
with Calgary now within 2 points of a playoff spot I think this thread has been rendered moot....

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 11:51 AM
  #63
David Singleton
HFB Partner
 
David Singleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dickson, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
with Calgary now within 2 points of a playoff spot I think this thread has been rendered moot....
Likely.

Regardless of whether Nashville/Calgary would have ultimately agreed to such a swap, I don't think Calgary has a chance to make the playoffs and think it's in their best interests to rebuild that roster- which I really don't think can be done with Kipper and Iginla.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:06 PM
  #64
token grinder
Registered User
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 4,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
Likely.

Regardless of whether Nashville/Calgary would have ultimately agreed to such a swap, I don't think Calgary has a chance to make the playoffs and think it's in their best interests to rebuild that roster- which I really don't think can be done with Kipper and Iginla.
that would be the intelligent thing to do....but this is calgary, so they will probably do something stupid

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 04:29 AM
  #65
NowitzkisBrownNugget
Registered User
 
NowitzkisBrownNugget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,271
vCash: 500
Not a Nashville fan, but I'm their general manager in a GM game. I made the following trade for Iginla. ( I know it's not realistic but....

Iginla
Jokinen
David Moss

for

Cody Franson
NAS 2011 1st
Patrik Cehlin
Matt Lombardi

Waddya figger?

NowitzkisBrownNugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 08:55 AM
  #66
deanwormer
Registered User
 
deanwormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowitzkisBrownNugget View Post
Not a Nashville fan, but I'm their general manager in a GM game. I made the following trade for Iginla. ( I know it's not realistic but....

Iginla
Jokinen
David Moss

for

Cody Franson
NAS 2011 1st
Patrik Cehlin
Matt Lombardi

Waddya figger?
I think we just passed the deadthings and maybe the 'nucks.......


Last edited by deanwormer: 01-28-2011 at 10:13 AM.
deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 09:10 AM
  #67
SeventyOneTN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowitzkisBrownNugget View Post
Not a Nashville fan, but I'm their general manager in a GM game. I made the following trade for Iginla. ( I know it's not realistic but....

Iginla
Jokinen
David Moss

for

Cody Franson
NAS 2011 1st
Patrik Cehlin
Matt Lombardi

Waddya figger?
Highway robbery

SeventyOneTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 09:20 AM
  #68
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowitzkisBrownNugget View Post
Not a Nashville fan, but I'm their general manager in a GM game. I made the following trade for Iginla. ( I know it's not realistic but....

Iginla
Jokinen
David Moss

for

Cody Franson
NAS 2011 1st
Patrik Cehlin
Matt Lombardi

Waddya figger?
Did you have photos of the Calgary GM in drag?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 10:14 AM
  #69
token grinder
Registered User
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 4,122
vCash: 500
he did unload jokinen on us.......

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 10:20 AM
  #70
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
he did unload jokinen on us.......
Which is exactly what Nashville needs. LOL!

(And I mean that as a PP scoring center.....)

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 04:50 PM
  #71
Hielo Grande
Registered User
 
Hielo Grande's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: vallarta
Country: Mexico
Posts: 454
vCash: 500
i dunno ... stand by for trade deadline. i doubt flames are in the playoff mix.
cowtown loves iggy no doubt, but it's a prime hockey market and the team will have unwaivering support regardless. look at how fans continued to support the team while the former GM was dismantling it piece by piece. now feaster has taken over and he is saying all the right things while mathimatical hopes remain, but if it comes to rebuilding jerome has to be the key piece. kipper has lost his prime value and besides $7m for a goalie today is expensive. what else has calgary got to offer?

IF.... iginla agrees to be available a team with small fan base that has trouble filling seats would have to consider him. as has been mentioned he is the class among class. he's articulate, has a subtle sense of humor and would be a marketing gem, especially in an american city. he's polite, humble and everything off-ice promoters dreams about. on ice he's a monster.

people in calgary talk about interest from the kings but i think iggy would prefer a smaller city and i think he would welcome the chance to help hockey grow in a small market with potential to become a big market.

all this being said do i think it will come to pass? hmmm i'd sure like it to but ...

Hielo Grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 04:57 PM
  #72
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hielo Grande View Post
i dunno ... stand by for trade deadline. i doubt flames are in the playoff mix.
cowtown loves iggy no doubt, but it's a prime hockey market and the team will have unwaivering support regardless. look at how fans continued to support the team while the former GM was dismantling it piece by piece. now feaster has taken over and he is saying all the right things while mathimatical hopes remain, but if it comes to rebuilding jerome has to be the key piece. kipper has lost his prime value and besides $7m for a goalie today is expensive. what else has calgary got to offer?

IF.... iginla agrees to be available a team with small fan base that has trouble filling seats would have to consider him. as has been mentioned he is the class among class. he's articulate, has a subtle sense of humor and would be a marketing gem, especially in an american city. he's polite, humble and everything off-ice promoters dreams about. on ice he's a monster.

people in calgary talk about interest from the kings but i think iggy would prefer a smaller city and i think he would welcome the chance to help hockey grow in a small market with potential to become a big market.

all this being said do i think it will come to pass? hmmm i'd sure like it to but ...
Yeah but we're talking about him coming to Nashville, not going to Atlanta or Phoenix.

If we had trouble filling our seats a star player won't do it. Not in this city. When we got Forsberg we had attendance much lower than we do now, and there was no noticeable difference in ticket sales with Forsberg when compared to the same time the previous year. Excitement, atmosphere, and winning bring people to Predators games. Not names on jerseys.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 05:30 PM
  #73
Hielo Grande
Registered User
 
Hielo Grande's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: vallarta
Country: Mexico
Posts: 454
vCash: 500
yes but iggy isn't forsburg. have you heard him speak? when trevor linden played his last game it was against the flames. after the game the teams left the ice but the vancouver fans cheerd linden and he skated around lauding the fans. iginla called the flames back onto the ice and each one shook hans with linden. trevor in turn said iggy was the best in the league at the time. when iggy was aked what linden said to him he replied something like oh just some comment about the game.
peter f was never that humble and never someone the team could put before the masses as a promotion. iggy is, parents want thier kids to be just like him. women want their boyfriends/husbands to be more like him.
as someone to promote the game in the media he wud be hard to beat. and he's of african rather than european heritage, also good for promotion given nashville has about 30% african american population.

Hielo Grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 06:00 PM
  #74
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,824
vCash: 500
Ok but the fact remains we aren't needing a player to market the game. If Iggy can help us win and Poile can make everything work then more power to him. I don't see it, but anything is possible.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 08:36 PM
  #75
cleangene
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Beautiful Bellevue
Posts: 963
vCash: 500
I dont to wake up from this dream

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.