HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto to make a big move (or moves?)

Old
01-28-2011, 07:47 AM
BLONG7

vCash: 500
Darren Dreger, is Eklund on TV....the guy is a

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 07:49 AM
neofury*

To be honest I don't understand how Leaf fans have ever been happy with Burke in the first place.

As soon as he made that Kessel deal I knew he was going to ruin the Leafs and you know I'm actually a huge Kessel fan and was at the time of the deal. It just wasn't a smart move, not only because of the picks but because Kessel is the kind of player you plug into a team that is already a contender that needs more scoring. You don't build around a guy like that.

Sure enough it failed. The Phaneuf deal was good but too little too late and left some serious holes on the team. Yeah sure you got Phaneuf, the center position on the Leafs is abysmal. Considering all the D you guys already have and Finger in the AHL being paid 4 million I think it was a bit of a rash move even despite it landing you guys Phaneuf for a solid price. It addresses one need and opens up others.

So now Burke is clearly JFJ #2 and he's about to likely make some trades that could solidify that comment as truth.

If he mortgages more of the future to be a #8-10 team for the next year or two before he figures out that the leafs needed a rebuild all along I'm going to feel really bad for you guys. He needs to just trade all these players except the young ones like Schenn who will be paid far less than they are worth for the next couple seasons.

Get rid of guys like Kessel, Beauchemin, Kaberle, Phaneuf, heck that D on paper is so good and yet they don't play that well as a unit. You can't just throw money at the best available UFA's and hope for the best. Komi and Beau have been lackluster at best and Kaberle could honestly be doing better on another team. Phaneuf has really been the one I see giving a lot effort and he took a ton of flack earlier on this season. I just think Burke should cut his losses after the end of the season (try to get 10th place or something rather than 14) and then do a complete rebuild.

The team will be a disaster if he trades away the future again mark my words.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 07:51 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
To be honest I don't understand how Leaf fans have ever been happy with Burke in the first place.

As soon as he made that Kessel deal I knew he was going to ruin the Leafs and you know I'm actually a huge Kessel fan and was at the time of the deal. It just wasn't a smart move, not only because of the picks but because Kessel is the kind of player you plug into a team that is already a contender that needs more scoring. You don't build around a guy like that.

Sure enough it failed. The Phaneuf deal was good but too little too late and left some serious holes on the team. Yeah sure you got Phaneuf, the center position on the Leafs is abysmal. Considering all the D you guys already have and Finger in the AHL being paid 4 million I think it was a bit of a rash move even despite it landing you guys Phaneuf for a solid price. It addresses one need and opens up others.

So now Burke is clearly JFJ #2 and he's about to likely make some trades that could solidify that comment as truth.

If he mortgages more of the future to be a #8-10 team for the next year or two before he figures out that the leafs needed a rebuild all along I'm going to feel really bad for you guys. He needs to just trade all these players except the young ones like Schenn who will be paid far less than they are worth for the next couple seasons.

Get rid of guys like Kessel, Beauchemin, Kaberle, Phaneuf, heck that D on paper is so good and yet they don't play that well as a unit. You can't just throw money at the best available UFA's and hope for the best. Komi and Beau have been lackluster at best and Kaberle could honestly be doing better on another team. Phaneuf has really been the one I see giving a lot effort and he took a ton of flack earlier on this season. I just think Burke should cut his losses after the end of the season (try to get 10th place or something rather than 14) and then do a complete rebuild.

Why the heck would you get rid of Kessel? He's 23 and you'll never get near as much for him as you paid to get him?

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 07:54 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
Was listening to him talk and he said that he belives that Burke and company have some big moves in store he said that Brian Burke will do WHATEVER it takes to make the Leafs a playoff team/contender next year. He said we are in the Market for a top line C as top line LW and a legit #1 goalie according to Dreger we have the assets to get this done.

so Leaf fans if we are to take Dreger at his word and he is one of most connected guys in the business do you expect Kadri and/or our 2012 1st to be on the block? I think it's a damn good possibilty.
what does it matter, really, it's out of our control, and, it's all about the return.
what centerman is this years Phaneuff?

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 08:01 AM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
burke should not touch the 2nd line at all, we acutlly have a legit 2nd line

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 08:03 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
Realistically, a player for our top line. People keep tip-toeing around this fact, but the only players Toronto needs are those for the top line and a goaltender. Our problems this year haven't been the D, nor have they been the "2nd line" of MacArthur-Grabo-Kulemin, nor have they been the 3rd of Versteeg-Boyce-Armstrong (although an upgrade at centre would be nice). Would we be willing to sacrifice some of the players that haven't been a problem? absolutely, but only if a player to solve at least one of our problems is coming back in the deal.

The type of deal that Toronto has to make is multiple players for one top liner.
if we got a 1st line center, Bozak would be a great fit there.
Versteeg-Bozak-Armstrong would pretty much be a 2B line
...with Boyce dropping to the 4th, and making that line stronger also.

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 08:04 AM
shortfuze

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
Was listening to him talk and he said that he belives that Burke and company have some big moves in store he said that Brian Burke will do WHATEVER it takes to make the Leafs a playoff team/contender next year. He said we are in the Market for a top line C as top line LW and a legit #1 goalie according to Dreger we have the assets to get this done.

so Leaf fans if we are to take Dreger at his word and he is one of most connected guys in the business do you expect Kadri and/or our 2012 1st to be on the block? I think it's a damn good possibilty.
well he could always go out and get some players in the offseason. if they cant get top line players then just get players that can play at both ends of the ice which would make a big difference. picking up a guy like brooks laich for the 2nd line centre spot would be a big plus for this team.

shortfuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 08:09 AM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
?-?-kessel
Kulie-Grabo-BigMac
versteeg-bozy-armstrong
brown-brent-orr/sjo

Old
01-28-2011, 08:13 AM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Darren Dreger, is Eklund on TV....the guy is a
I wish I was an emoticon

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 08:22 AM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Send a message via AIM to IrishPaulie
Quote:
Originally Posted by TML nation13 View Post
?-?-kessel
Kulie-Grabo-BigMac
versteeg-bozy-armstrong
brown-brent-orr/sjo
Arguably the most difficult and expensive position to fill.

The problem the Leafs are running into is all the teams that have centers that would be worth making an offer for seem to be making the playoffs and won't be selling players for pennies on the dollar.

IrishPaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 08:24 AM
CamFan81
Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Why the heck would you get rid of Kessel? He's 23 and you'll never get near as much for him as you paid to get him?
sometimes its ok to count your losses and move on. Kessel has revealed himself to once again NOT be a game changer, NOT be able to carry his team during a struggle, NOT be a player to build around. As a matter a fact, it seems when kessel aint scoring the Leafs aint winning. Kessel would be a great addition to a team thats looking to "get over the hump".

I actually believe Toronto getting rid of the 2012 pick might not be such a bad Idea. Some of their younger talents will have more experience in the NHL. A playoff team? probably not, but that pick might not be as High as this year (and last year). If I was Burke I would consider moving :

The pick (2012)
Kaberle
Giggy

Depending on your return for the above you may have to move
Kessel
Grabovski.

Now, I'm not saying all of them should get moved. But I am looking at the leafs roster and who on the team would get you SOMETHING of a return.

I Think Kaberle will have to be packaged with something to get any type of return because of him being a rental (unless the team can negotiate a contract ext).

Schenn is your untouchable imo, kid has the looks of a stud.

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 08:47 AM
AndMat*

i can see the ducks helping burke.

getzleaf

for

Kuli
gabo
and a d prospect

they way the ducks are playing without getz this could benfit both teams.

AndMat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 08:52 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
I see Burke has learned.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 08:53 AM
Bill_Crosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML nation13 View Post
i could see a huge 3 way of

toronto

san jose

washington
This sounds so hot. I hope someone records it.

Bill_Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndMat View Post

getzleaf

for

Kuli
gabo
and a d prospect

We can dream

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndMat View Post

getzleaf

for

Kuli
gabo
and a d prospect

Never going to happen.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 09:01 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
if we got a 1st line center, Bozak would be a great fit there.
Versteeg-Bozak-Armstrong would pretty much be a 2B line
...with Boyce dropping to the 4th, and making that line stronger also.
^^this

Combined Bozak and Kessel are not playing well defensively and need to be broken up.

Even if a first line center isn't found try it with a couple of bangers that can forecheck and do the dirty work for Kessel.

Kulemin Grabovski McArthur
Versteeg Bozak Armstrong
Meuller Hanson Kessel - not ideal but having Kessel dangle against 3rd pairing dmen might be enough to free some room and light a spark under him. These two also give the Leafs some size up front.
Sjorstrom Boyce Brown

throw in Orr when healthy

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 09:06 AM
b in vancouver

Joe Colborne or Jordan Caron
Boston 2011 1st

for

T.O. 2012 1st
T.O. 2013 1st

b in vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 09:19 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by b in vancouver View Post
Joe Colborne or Jordan Caron
Boston 2011 1st

for

T.O. 2012 1st
T.O. 2013 1st
How original. It amazes me how all the clowns around here keep repeating the same joke.

Just like some people still think Ryder, Halak, and a 2nd is still funny.

Thank God there is an ignore feature on these boards for the person in the room that just doesn't get it.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 09:23 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
You don't consider him a decent source even though his cousin is part of the Leafs' top brass?
y'know blair if Nonis were feeding him info on the sly, he'd soon be working somewhere else

Dreger, has used various sources and his insider knwoledge to come up with something everyone who is anyone knows what the Leafs need to obtain to make a turnaround happen

what the Leafs don't have

1. consistent goaltending (a starter who'll own the job)

2. consistent scoring (dominant centre or LW for the 1 line)

that about right?

what the leafs need.....I'm sure everyone could fill out those two items if their even mildly paying attention

you just need to add the part that Burke is working on it now, no not now but right now and say "possibly" even a mega deal

voila! you've taken your first step to being the insider..if you're a blogger you get called a rumour mongerer and if you happen to work for TSN you get called knowledgeable

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 09:35 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post

Thing most people don't remember (or choose not to remember) is that Burke didn't bring in Kessel to strictly build a team around. He brought Kessel in for the exact reason you stated; he thought this was a playoff team that needed more scoring.

Entering a season with Schenn coming off a fantastic rookie year, with the additions of Beauch/Komi; our blue line was seen as "solid". Tosk-lol-a was coming of surgery that was supposed to bring him back to 100% (we all know how well that worked). The forward core was much deeper than it is now. Sure it wasn't the strongest top6 but with the addition of a young 36 goal scorer, it'd surely make us a playoff contender...r.rrright?

Komi bomed, beauch hardly showed up, tosklola was tosklola, Schenn was mired in a somphomore slump, Hagman would score a hattrick then vanish for a month, Stemp was non-existant and so on.

Just about everything that could have gone wrong did. And we all know how it's played out since.

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 09:52 AM
Solaris

I wouldn't be too happy if Burke wasted assets on a goalie right now. I say just let Scrivens/Rynnas/Reimer have a shot at it.

Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 09:59 AM
oshie74

Man, Blues and Leafs are in the same position...we should like team up or something...

oshie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 10:00 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
I wouldn't be too happy if Burke wasted assets on a goalie right now. I say just let Scrivens/Rynnas/Reimer have a shot at it.
Yup. The Leafs have fantastic depth in term of goalie prospects. No point in trying to get a starter now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamFan81 View Post
sometimes its ok to count your losses and move on. Kessel has revealed himself to once again NOT be a game changer, NOT be able to carry his team during a struggle, NOT be a player to build around. As a matter a fact, it seems when kessel aint scoring the Leafs aint winning. Kessel would be a great addition to a team thats looking to "get over the hump".

I actually believe Toronto getting rid of the 2012 pick might not be such a bad Idea. Some of their younger talents will have more experience in the NHL. A playoff team? probably not, but that pick might not be as High as this year (and last year). If I was Burke I would consider moving :

The pick (2012)
Kaberle
Giggy

Depending on your return for the above you may have to move
Kessel
Grabovski.

Now, I'm not saying all of them should get moved. But I am looking at the leafs roster and who on the team would get you SOMETHING of a return.

I Think Kaberle will have to be packaged with something to get any type of return because of him being a rental (unless the team can negotiate a contract ext).

Schenn is your untouchable imo, kid has the looks of a stud.
Why would they have to "Cut Their Losses" with Kessel? He's only 23. Who says you have to build your franchise around him? He's a fine top line 30-35 goal scorer as a minimum. There's just no point in moving him.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 10:10 AM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshie74 View Post
Man, Blues and Leafs are in the same position...we should like team up or something...
anyone on the block?