HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Erik Cole

Old
01-28-2011, 10:04 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
Do not want

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 10:07 AM
jb**

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Ah, it really doesn't... playoff revenue is a big deal to teams, and guys like Cole aren't going to return a huge chip in a trade.

I am almost 100% positive that the waiver rules remain in effect until the end of the season (i.e. the final game of the SCF). Independent of that, I'm not sure a player that has to pass through waivers can be eligible for postseason play for you (similar to a player acquired after the deadline).

If this isn't the rule, then it's a massive hole in the CBA. Logically, it would be a huge competitive advantage for wealthy teams to be able to stash a player in the minors at the deadline and then bring him back up without having to worry about re-entry come playoff time.
Ah, yes it really does. If they recieve an offer that is too good to pass up they would imo make the deal as there is no guarentee they make the playoffs with or without Cole. There is always someone oput there willing to overpay come the trade deadline. Playoff revenus is important no doubt but no guarentee for a team like Carolina. I would think they are looking more long term than short term.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 10:17 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Ah, yes it really does. If they recieve an offer that is too good to pass up they would imo make the deal as there is no guarentee they make the playoffs with or without Cole. There is always someone oput there willing to overpay come the trade deadline. Playoff revenus is important no doubt but no guarentee for a team like Carolina. I would think they are looking more long term than short term.
Yeah, and that's the only way a team on the cusp moves one of their better players. Especially in a small market where selling out home playoff games can make up a lot of extra profit for a team that may not regularly make the dance.

If Carolina feels they are in the mix, it's unlikely that they'll move Cole barring a solid overpayment...and the odds of a team really betting the farm on a guy like Cole aren't good either, so it's just as likely that he stays in Raleigh.

As for us acquiring him? I'd dig it.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 10:23 AM
Jester

Quote:
I can pretty much guarantee you that no one is going to offer "too good to pass up" for Cole at this point... especially when weighed against a round or two of playoff revenue.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 10:41 AM
jb**

Quote:
I can pretty much guarantee you that no one is going to offer "too good to pass up" for Cole at this point... especially when weighed against a round or two of playoff revenue.
how can you pretty much guarentee that by the way? There is no guarentee they make the playoffs. If the flyers offer a 1st, 5th and nodl for cole and 3rd, would carolina make that deal? Cole imo is not the diff in them making or not making the playoffs.

so getting some potential 1st rd playoff revenue is more important than setting your team up for a potentail bigger payoff down the line? Seems shortsighted to me.

Old
01-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Jester

Quote:
how can you pretty much guarentee that by the way? There is no guarentee they make the playoffs. If the flyers offer a 1st, 5th and nodl for cole and 3rd, would carolina make that deal? Cole imo is not the diff in them making or not making the playoffs.
A 1st!?!

Sure, they'd probably do that if a GM that was that *ing stupid came along... but, as said, I can pretty much guarantee you that isn't going to happen. They'll get a pick and that's about it for a player of Cole's age/value on an expiring deal.

Quote:
so getting some potential 1st rd playoff revenue is more important than setting your team up for a potentail bigger payoff down the line? Seems shortsighted to me.
It's a business man... and for a lot of these teams, making the playoffs is the difference between making money and not making money. It also has a huge impact on the team's ability to sell itself heading into the next season. STHs are far more likely to re-up and/or sign on if it's a "playoff team" they're buying tickets for.

Making the playoffs is a really really big deal. The Canes aren't exactly falling off the map into the lottery, so might as well go for it. However, you are right that there are no guarantees... so it would make sense for them to stand pat rather than being aggressive in acquiring assets.

Old
01-28-2011, 11:00 AM
jb**

Quote:
A 1st!?!

Sure, they'd probably do that if a GM that was that *ing stupid came along... but, as said, I can pretty much guarantee you that isn't going to happen. They'll get a pick and that's about it for a player of Cole's age/value on an expiring deal.

It's a business man... and for a lot of these teams, making the playoffs is the difference between making money and not making money. It also has a huge impact on the team's ability to sell itself heading into the next season. STHs are far more likely to re-up and/or sign on if it's a "playoff team" they're buying tickets for.

Making the playoffs is a really really big deal. The Canes aren't exactly falling off the map into the lottery, so might as well go for it. However, you are right that there are no guarantees... so it would make sense for them to stand pat rather than being aggressive in acquiring assets.

I know it is a business and these owners are very well off even with their losses from their hockey teams. Of course they dont want to lose $. The bigger picture overall is more important in this case, not all though as some owners want to make the playoffs regardless.

How many season tickets are they really going to lose if they donít make the playoffs but came close? Not enough to make a diff imo. Well a playoff team that is one and done doesnít have that much selling value to me. Sell the future and what you intend to do to add to the team to make them a playoff team next season, that sells if your fans really follow the team

Old
01-28-2011, 11:02 AM
Jester

Quote:
I know it is a business and these owners are very well off even with their losses from their hockey teams. Of course they dont want to lose $. The bigger picture overall is more important in this case, not all though as some owners want to make the playoffs regardless.

How many season tickets are they really going to lose if they donít make the playoffs but came close? Not enough to make a diff imo. Well a playoff team that is one and done doesnít have that much selling value to me. Sell the future and what you intend to do to add to the team to make them a playoff team next season, that sells if your fans really follow the team
Carolina is struggling down there financially... and has never been on firm footing. It's much easier to talk about it as an abstract than when you're dealing with the actual realities. For these weak markets, it's very tough to operate "long term" when you are struggling to gain any sort of traction with the fanbase.

Old
01-28-2011, 11:06 AM
jb**

Quote:
Carolina is struggling down there financially... and has never been on firm footing. It's much easier to talk about it as an abstract than when you're dealing with the actual realities. For these weak markets, it's very tough to operate "long term" when you are struggling to gain any sort of traction with the fanbase.
well they never will be on firm fotting. they have won a cup and been down there how many years now? it is what it is as one lieks to say.

if they do decide to move. 1. they are still in the playoff race but want to acquire assets. Under this scenario do you see them dealing him to the flyers? a potential playoff matchup? i dont, unless that overpayment.

2. they fall out and he goes to the highest bidder.

Old
01-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
He played 2 games in the playoffs, recorded zero points and zero PIMs. He was hurt at the end of that year.

It's what he did during the playoff run away from games that made him valuable. It was Brindy's team, it had plenty of vets, but Ward and Cole were noted for their intangibles during that season (even with all of the vets around). They were young guys who emerged, and their reward was the party in the parking lot.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 12:32 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
I know hes probably not available because hes cheap but I wouldnt mind going after Nick Foligno. would be a good fit on the bottom 6.
Its going to be interesting to see who is going to be sellers. how many sellers out west? hell Calgary latest surge might have them thinking about not selling. I wanted to pursue Matt Moulson but hes off the market now after signing the latest deal.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Blueline Bomber
Noah MAN-ifin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
It's what he did during the playoff run away from games that made him valuable. It was Brindy's team, it had plenty of vets, but Ward and Cole were noted for their intangibles during that season (even with all of the vets around). They were young guys who emerged, and their reward was the party in the parking lot.
Exactly. Cole may not have put up any points in that playoffs, but he was a key piece in Game 7. He was the guy that drew the penalty that led to the game-winning PP goal. Cut down the wing and crashed toward the net. Caught the Oiler defenseman out of position, who essentially had to leg-lock him to slow him down.

That being said, Cole isn't exactly a playoff performer in the first place. He's been on some deep runs (2002 and 2009), but really never made an impact on the scoreboard in either one.

And I wouldn't say Carolina's struggling financially. I'd say they're pretty much where you'd expect from a team that only makes the playoffs once every 5 years. Playoff revenue is huge, moreso than anything short of an overpayment for Cole.

And JR will say no to Zherdev. He's not exactly big on Russians.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Bomb View Post
Exactly. Cole may not have put up any points in that playoffs, but he was a key piece in Game 7. He was the guy that drew the penalty that led to the game-winning PP goal. Cut down the wing and crashed toward the net. Caught the Oiler defenseman out of position, who essentially had to leg-lock him to slow him down.

That being said, Cole isn't exactly a playoff performer in the first place. He's been on some deep runs (2002 and 2009), but really never made an impact on the scoreboard in either one.
This team has a different make-up than those two Canes teams (more depth here). '09 was a clunker (that was one of his injury seasons, so ...), but '02 he was a kid who was sixth on the team in goals during the season and tied for second during the playoffs. His play tailed off as the playoffs moved on, but he was still impressive for his first real playoff run.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote