HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Louis Leblanc

Old
01-28-2011, 11:09 AM
Maxpac

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
I dont think Ive been the only one desapointed with his game at the WJC.. Personally I thought he was hurt.. He displayed very little puckhandling skills compared to his teammates.. was good along the board but thats about it..
Yeah, 4th scorer on the team in a 2-way role, pure disappointment...

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azriel View Post
1-It's his first year playing more then 30 games of hockey.
I wouldn't know, I haven't followed his entire career.

Quote:
2-he's 18.
Two years ago.

Quote:
3-He's not in the AHL yet.
True.

Quote:
4-He was injured sooner this year
True.

Quote:
5-he still has a 1.21 pts a game which gives him approximately the 10th rank in the whole LHJMQ.
That's not impressive. It's not bad, but it's nothing to get excited about.

Quote:
Yeah, you all are right... he's no good.
He's all right. I see him as a third liner, borderline second liner. Of course, he can always pull a Subban and start improving at a much, much faster pace than expected. Or he could be a bit of a late bloomer. We'll see soon enough.

Anyway, I'll be happy if he becomes an excellent third liner. That wouldn't be bad value for the middle of the first round.

Last edited by Montreal Typical: 01-28-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Montreal Typical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:37 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
I wouldn't know, I haven't followed his entire career.

Two years ago.

True.

True.

That's not impressive. It's not bad, but it's nothing to get excited about.

He's all right. I see him as a third liner, borderline second liner. Of course, he can always pull a Subban and start improving at a much, much faster pace than expected. Or he could be a bit of a late bloomer. We'll see soon enough.

Anyway, I'll be happy if he becomes an excellent third liner. That wouldn't be bad value for the middle of the first round.
he could be the next Guy Carbonneau or Mike Peca.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:44 AM
Patccmoi

I think people have a serious misconception about what 1st and 2nd line players are.

Sure, you have the center-piece of the lines, the guy that will make the plays and finish them. The Pleks and Cammy.

But why do you think we spent half the year with Moen or Darche on our top 2 lines? It's not so much a 'lack of depth' because nearly every team has 1-2 pf these kind of less talented guys playing on the top 6 (well ok Moen should never have been there for so long!). Hell, even the Flyers that have an incredible offensive depth have Carcillo playing on the wing of Richards, and if you decided who should be on the top 2 lines and who should be on the bottom 2, you would never put them in the same group.

The thing is, very few teams can put 6 talented guys all together on their top 2 lines, not only because they lack the talent to do it but also because it doesn't always work. You don't need 3 guys of the same type on a line, you also need guys who will drive the net and win board battles. Kinda like how Burrows had such a good time with the Sedins, but he would have been classified as 3rd line material too.

What I see in Leblanc personally is exactly this : a gritty forward with above-average skill (for his play-style). Not elite skill, not top 6 forward goal-scorer or play-maker skill. But top 6 forward gritty skill, yes. He's a guy that can win board battles, drive the net (and that's one thing he's clearly not afraid to do and that we SERIOUSLY lack in the team right now) and create opportunities, with enough skill to actually finish a play or make a nice pass when the occasion is there. It won't be his primary responsability, and his actual production will depend a lot imo on who is on his line. He won't make a line, but he can COMPLETE a top 6 line (likely 2nd line, because usually you have enough skill to make a real #1 all-talent line, but if you have 2 other guys that have high enough skill he could complete it too).

If he's on the 3rd line, I believe he will be an elite 3rd-liner, kinda like what you see in Pouliot right now that he's playing there regularly, a guy that will manage to produce a lot for the ice time he has. The comparison to Pouliot is kinda weird though because to me they are perfect opposite : Pouliot is a guy who has 1st line skill but a total lack of grit and competitiveness that makes him drop lines. Leblanc is third line skill (although top notch for a 3rd line) that will play higher because he has the grit and competitiveness. Basically, a Darche with more talent.

So bottom line for me is: he'll likely play on our 2nd line to complete it after 1-2 years in the league (he still has to fill his frame a lot for the type of game he plays at the NHL level and will have to adjust to the speed, etc.), or if he plays on the 3rd he will still produce a pretty good amount (and people will complain that he should get higher ice time, etc... I kinda hope that he doesn't play too long on the 3rd just to save the headache).

Ofc it's still pretty early in his career and a lot can change, but from everything I saw from him up to now (which is quite a few games) + what I read about him, this is the image I have from him. And when people say '3rd-line material', I really think they need to distinguish 3rd-line talent vs 3rd-line player. Talent is not the only thing that can raise you to the top 2 lines, where you can actually produce simply by playing with more skilled players if you create opportunities for them.

And now I'm just rambling.

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Forsead

Right now is upside with his skillset is anywhere between third liner to first liner. It's almost impossible to guess and to really know how he will look in a few years. I think IMO that he will take time to develop and we shouldn't be surprised if he only make it as a regular at something lik 21 years old.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:57 AM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
we shouldn't be surprised if he only make it as a regular at something lik 21 years old.
The only way he becomes a regular before he's 21 is if he becomes a regular before next January. The guy turned 20 two days ago.

It would be very surprising if he became a regular before he's 21.

Montreal Typical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 12:00 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
The only way he becomes a regular before he's 21 is if he becomes a regular before next January. The guy turned 20 two days ago.

It would be very surprising if he became a regular before he's 21.
Well I think he will play in the AHL next years and he could very well be recalled from there before January ala Pacioretty, but you're right I guess I should said something like 22-23 years old.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 12:26 PM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
You can't hit a homerun with every single one of your picks...who knows what Leblanc's ceiling is to tell you the truth. Looking at the way he plays today is hardly an indication of how he'll be when he's reached his physical peak (25-28yrs old)...

Where a player plays (1st, 2nd or 3rd line) is largely circumstancial...
I can't think of the last home run the Habs hit in the first 3 rounds that's not named Price or Subban. Probably Koivu. That was a very long time again.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 12:38 PM
Boulette Cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD View Post
No, he's just french, that's all you need to have your name chanted here...

(not saying he played bad or anything, but you don't need anything else than being drafted in Mtl as a french guy to get that welcome from the fans...)
The WJC were in Buffalo.

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 12:50 PM
MasterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulette Cannon View Post
The WJC were in Buffalo.
So? You don't think people from Quebec drove there? I doubt Buffalo residents were chanting his name...

Edit: ok I see where you're coming from, shouldn't have used "here" in my sentence... but I still believe it's Habs fans that chanted it.

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 01:12 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
I can't think of the last home run the Habs hit in the first 3 rounds that's not named Price or Subban. Probably Koivu. That was a very long time again.
yes we know. Pleks was a solid 3rd rounder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I wouldn't even call his ice time average. It was pretty bad. He's not going to be a go-to scorer in the NHL that much is almost certain, but he has the potential to be a great complimentary winger, something we need on this team right now to win the board battles and get it to guys like cammy or gionta.
I don't see how that's almost certain.

Quote:
Wow, over-reacting much lately?

1-It's his first year playing more then 30 games of hockey.
2-he's 18.
3-He's not in the AHL yet.
4-He was injured sooner this year
5-he still has a 1.21 pts a game which gives him approximately the 10th rank in the whole LHJMQ.

Yeah, you all are right... he's no good.
1. He played 60 games in the USHL during his draft year
2. He just turned 20
3. Should be in Hamilton as soon as the Juniors season ends

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 01:13 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patccmoi View Post
I think people have a serious misconception about what 1st and 2nd line players are.

Sure, you have the center-piece of the lines, the guy that will make the plays and finish them. The Pleks and Cammy.

But why do you think we spent half the year with Moen or Darche on our top 2 lines? It's not so much a 'lack of depth' because nearly every team has 1-2 pf these kind of less talented guys playing on the top 6 (well ok Moen should never have been there for so long!). Hell, even the Flyers that have an incredible offensive depth have Carcillo playing on the wing of Richards, and if you decided who should be on the top 2 lines and who should be on the bottom 2, you would never put them in the same group.

The thing is, very few teams can put 6 talented guys all together on their top 2 lines, not only because they lack the talent to do it but also because it doesn't always work. You don't need 3 guys of the same type on a line, you also need guys who will drive the net and win board battles. Kinda like how Burrows had such a good time with the Sedins, but he would have been classified as 3rd line material too.

What I see in Leblanc personally is exactly this : a gritty forward with above-average skill (for his play-style). Not elite skill, not top 6 forward goal-scorer or play-maker skill. But top 6 forward gritty skill, yes. He's a guy that can win board battles, drive the net (and that's one thing he's clearly not afraid to do and that we SERIOUSLY lack in the team right now) and create opportunities, with enough skill to actually finish a play or make a nice pass when the occasion is there. It won't be his primary responsability, and his actual production will depend a lot imo on who is on his line. He won't make a line, but he can COMPLETE a top 6 line (likely 2nd line, because usually you have enough skill to make a real #1 all-talent line, but if you have 2 other guys that have high enough skill he could complete it too).

If he's on the 3rd line, I believe he will be an elite 3rd-liner, kinda like what you see in Pouliot right now that he's playing there regularly, a guy that will manage to produce a lot for the ice time he has. The comparison to Pouliot is kinda weird though because to me they are perfect opposite : Pouliot is a guy who has 1st line skill but a total lack of grit and competitiveness that makes him drop lines. Leblanc is third line skill (although top notch for a 3rd line) that will play higher because he has the grit and competitiveness. Basically, a Darche with more talent.

So bottom line for me is: he'll likely play on our 2nd line to complete it after 1-2 years in the league (he still has to fill his frame a lot for the type of game he plays at the NHL level and will have to adjust to the speed, etc.), or if he plays on the 3rd he will still produce a pretty good amount (and people will complain that he should get higher ice time, etc... I kinda hope that he doesn't play too long on the 3rd just to save the headache).

Ofc it's still pretty early in his career and a lot can change, but from everything I saw from him up to now (which is quite a few games) + what I read about him, this is the image I have from him. And when people say '3rd-line material', I really think they need to distinguish 3rd-line talent vs 3rd-line player. Talent is not the only thing that can raise you to the top 2 lines, where you can actually produce simply by playing with more skilled players if you create opportunities for them.

And now I'm just rambling.
Yes you are rambling. The kid is 19. No one can guess where he'll end up. However, 'skilled 3rd line guy' is a crap result in the first round for players who make it. Crap. We simply do not need that type of player, period.

If the Habs actually drafted Leblanc thinking he''d be a skilled third line guy, then the entire management and drafting team should be fired. You DO NOT go for anything but 1-4 D and 1-6 forwards in the first round. If LL ends up on the third line, then he is a bust.

Again though, this is silly, we shall see. But no one should be satisfied with LL ending up on line 3. I'd be REALLY pissed off if that becomes the case.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Yes you are rambling.
Actually I thought he was making good points

Quote:
The kid is 19. No one can guess where he'll end up.
True
Quote:
However, 'skilled 3rd line guy' is a crap result in the first round for players who make it. Crap.
"for players who make it"? Why aren't you also taking account of those who aren't making it? I think something like only 60% of first round players end up having a career in the NHL or so?

Quote:
We simply do not need that type of player, period.
. LOL, that's the complete opposite, that's exactly what would need right now. A good offensive player who can compliment our small but fast and talented forwards, create space for them, and crash the net (instead of having Gionta do it). Of course, Leblanc still has a long time to go, but until we can find such players, we'll keep having to try guys like Moen instead.

Quote:
If the Habs actually drafted Leblanc thinking he''d be a skilled third line guy, then the entire management and drafting team should be fired. You DO NOT go for anything but 1-4 D and 1-6 forwards in the first round. If LL ends up on the third line, then he is a bust.
You don't draft players based on where they will end up in your lineup years from now, you draft them on their skills, how they can develop them, and how they'll be able to use them in the NHL. The habs didn't see Leblanc as a second or third line center, they saw him as good all-around forward with grits and skills, who is very good in the forecheck and play a sound defensive game. That Leblanc ends up as the next Richard (who had more or less the same pedigree when he was drafted back in 2003) is only up to him.
Quote:
Again though, this is silly, we shall see. But no one should be satisfied with LL ending up on line 3. I'd be REALLY pissed off if that becomes the case.
Then you are setuping yourself for disapointment, not only in the case of Leblanc but in prospects in general. Very few players are true blue chips.
Quote:
From the point of view of Timmins, the fact that Leblanc has the necessary skills to play on a third line is a bonus, not a drawback. It means than even if he doesn't manage to fulfill his potential, he can still be of use for the team and thus his value isn't wasted. Plenty of offensive players simply don't have the size or grits or defensive awareness to be effective bottom-6 players, so when they don't develop as well as first thought, they must turn back to the AHL or Europe...

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 01:34 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Clearly Bob Gainey was a bust as a hockey player

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 01:36 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

I saw him play live 3 times this year and every time he was the best player on the ice even agaisnt Couturier who was waiting for the breakaway pass most of the time.

When Leblanc go in the corner he work hard, dig the puck and most important he do almost everytime the right play after he win his battle. He create alot of things in the zone. Even in the Habs propects game he was one of the best around the board and on forecheck

He need to work on his shoot and gaining some weight but he will be a good Nhl players no doubt in my mind.

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 01:37 PM
beaverBFP

Do you guys think he'll play the same role for us as Jordan stall plays for the pens?( Not saying same skill level)

beaverBFP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Jedrik

Quote:
Yes you are rambling. The kid is 19. No one can guess where he'll end up. However, 'skilled 3rd line guy' is a crap result in the first round for players who make it. Crap. We simply do not need that type of player, period.

I think you need to amend your definition of 'bust' according to what the rest of the hockey world thinks. A very good third-liner drafted at 18th overall is not a bust. Disappointment, maybe.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 02:01 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I think best case he becomes a D.Brown/Morrow/Dubinsky type guy that will provide both offense and a physical/grit element to a top line. 20-30 goals and 30-40 assists year in year out.

If he is only a 3rd line guy that chips in 15 goals and 35-40 points like Armstrong/Fisher/Ott he will be a disapointment but still a useful NHLer.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 03:45 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Paccioretty selected 22nd overall has everything to become a very great pick that I would call an home run personally.

PK Subban was a hell of home run pick..

Plekanec..

Emelin was a 3rd round selection, lets see how it works..

on the late rounds we drafted a guy like Halak who got us a 13th overall pick in Eller.. we could draft a couple of good young players in the late rounds that helped us to improve our line-up and prospects pool..

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 01-28-2011 at 03:59 PM.
NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 03:58 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think best case he becomes a D.Brown/Morrow/Dubinsky type guy that will provide both offense and a physical/grit element to a top line. 20-30 goals and 30-40 assists year in year out.

If he is only a 3rd line guy that chips in 15 goals and 35-40 points like Armstrong/Fisher/Ott he will be a disapointment but still a useful NHLer.
I'd be shocked if he was anything like Morrow/Brown/Armstrong/Fischer/Ott when it comes to physical play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Paccioretty selected 22nd overall has everything to become a very great pick that I would call a home run personally.
But it's still way too early to even be thinking home run. The good news is that he's gotten back on track and is finally doing well in the NHL while still being only 22.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 04:06 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deker21 View Post
An elite 3rd liner is very much the worth of the position he was drafted in.
You are right, and he will highly probably become a very good third liner, I guess Im just a bit desapointed at this point to not see him more dominant offensively cause I wish we had someone in the depth chart with the potential of replacing Gomez in the upcoming years.. Most people see Eller there in the near future but personally Im not convinced Eller is suited for that role, I liked what I saw from him recently playing on the wing of Plekanec..

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 01-28-2011 at 04:16 PM.
NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 04:17 PM
Teufelsdreck

The Habs haven't had many opportunities to draft top players since Price in 2005. Fischer was a dud in 2006. Pacioretty was a fine pick in 2007 and for all we know McDonagh will turn out to be one too (for the Rangers). Trading the 2008 pick for Tanguay bit the Habs in the derriere. It's too early to assess Leblanc in 2009 or Tinordi in 2010.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 04:23 PM
GeneralMarky79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
+1

What the hell is going on with these posts that shoot him down.

I watched the WJC and came away very impressed by his play. He played in all situations (EV, PP, PK) offered quality mins on ANY LINE and was still a PPG player in a tournament of the BEST players his age group could offer.

In the Q he does all the same things, but with more offence.

This kid WILL be a 2nd line player MMW
he wasnt on the pk and he was on the 2nd PP wave

GeneralMarky79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 04:58 PM
Boulette Cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralMarky79 View Post
he wasnt on the pk and he was on the 2nd PP wave
He played the PK sometimes.

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 05:47 PM
KristoLeblanc*

Anybody saying he has 3rd line potential are being silly.

Have you ever watch him play this season? More often than not, he is the best player on the ice, if some of you followed his junior career you would know his hands are above average, he had some nifty goal in the Midget AAA with Lac St. Louis.

He is a gifted offensive player able to play a defensive role.

He was the 4th best scorer for Team Canada, playing around 10 minutes per game with no Powerplay time.

And to the lunatic who said, being 10th best PPG in the LHJMQ isn't impressive, you should change the sport you are watching or follow hockey much closer before making some stupid remark.

Being 10th PPG player when you are 19 years old (ok turned 20, but started as a 19 years old the season) with player 1 or 2 years older than him is actually quite good.

You actually need to understand that Montreal is a deep team and doesn't use Leblanc like 28 minutes a game and always make him the go to guy. Its a balanced team with a lot of player able to score.

I hate HF when it comes to prospect and it suppose to be a prospect's forum.

KristoLeblanc* is offline   Reply With Quote