HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

another getting into hockey thread

Old
12-29-2010, 04:08 PM
mememe000

vCash: 500
I would pay for a better helmet. I think I paid around $150 for mine and it was worth it. It isn't even close to being wore out yet and its been like three years since I got it. The safety for your head is really worth it, last season one of the guys on my team got a small concussion, just in rec B!

I would say for the rest of your gear it really depends on how you play. I'm a aggressive forward and most of my gear doesn't get much of a workout; however, I need some good pants because I'm always flying into the boards butt first (cutting people off, non-contact level) and good knee pads because I block the shots from the point with my legs. Other then that, I could play naked and not get hurt.

Right now I don't have a good pair of pants, and my @$$ always hurts the day after I play.

mememe000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 05:27 PM
goldfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mememe000 View Post
I would pay for a better helmet. I think I paid around $150 for mine and it was worth it. It isn't even close to being wore out yet and its been like three years since I got it. The safety for your head is really worth it, last season one of the guys on my team got a small concussion, just in rec B!

I would say for the rest of your gear it really depends on how you play. I'm a aggressive forward and most of my gear doesn't get much of a workout; however, I need some good pants because I'm always flying into the boards butt first (cutting people off, non-contact level) and good knee pads because I block the shots from the point with my legs. Other then that, I could play naked and not get hurt.

Right now I don't have a good pair of pants, and my @$$ always hurts the day after I play.
I tried on the bauer 4500 and 5100 as well as a few CCM models but the 1500 just felt the best on my head. It wasn't a money issue.

As far as playing style..I don't really plan on being too aggressive. My biggest enemy starting out is gonna be myself and the ice. So I'm just worried about busting my ass but my pants feel pretty good.

goldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:08 PM
goldfish

Well just to give a little update...

I went to a public skate last night and the place was deserted. It was amazing, I skated hard for a good hour and a half. Did a few laps going backwards, still only about jogging or slow running speed but I didn't want to push it without gear on. Worked on my stopping and actually managed to do the hockey stop. I can't go from full speed to stopped on a dime, but I can go from 100% to 30% on a dime!

This morning I went to a stick and puck. The first few mins on the ice were pretty akward like now that I had a stick and gear on I totally forgot how to skate. I got invited to play a half court style game with a group of older guys and their kids. The older guys were all really good..the kids ranged from first time with hockey stuff like me, to been playing since they could walk.

Here are some comments/questions..

-Was fairly accurate. I could pick corners or a post to hit and if not hit it, get within a few inches. What a pleasant surprise that was

-Had trouble with wrist shot fluttering. Asked the one guy about it, he told me to not open my wrists so much on the follow through and to put weight on the stick to have the flex do the work for me. It doubled my wrist shot power in an instant. Although I can't seem to combine this strategy with moving wrist shots only stationary.

-Had no trouble elevating the puck, could launch it into the nets if i wanted to. But it always seemed to flutter when I put a lot of air under it?

-I don't have my socks yet, so I just had my shinguards uncovered. One issue I kept having is the bottom lip of my pants getting behind the top lip of my shinguard. Will the socks solve this? or is that what the tape is for.

-I got a blister on the inside arch of my foot. I've never had an issue with this the other times I've been skating. Is this just due to the more aggresive cuts etc.. of actual hockey vs skating in a large circle?

-I went down twice. It is a million times better in pads!

-Can't skate backwards in a game situation. Drills for building confidence with this? or just come with time?

Last edited by goldfish: 12-30-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old
12-30-2010, 12:20 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 588
I'm telling you that as long as you show a real interest you will get help from lots of places.

Just keep going out and skating with and w/o people around. you will get better and get help.

You at least are starting with something of a shot. I could skate but I had no shot what so ever and it took a long time to find what little shot I have now. I have lead hands.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:30 PM
robat19

You shouldn't get blisters just because you are skating harder. You probably just need to get the skates broken in or maybe try some different insoles if it's on your arch.

robat19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 02:35 PM
goldfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by robat19 View Post
You shouldn't get blisters just because you are skating harder. You probably just need to get the skates broken in or maybe try some different insoles if it's on your arch.
I guess its not really on my arch..it's on the side of my foot above my arch. Not sure what that area is called.

I'm hoping its just a break-in issue. I only have probably 5 hours or so on these skates so hopefully after another few hours they'll be a bit more broken in and eliminate this blister problem.

I am officially hooked on hockey, going back to stick and puck tomorrow morning as well.

Old
12-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Did you get the skates baked? How was the fitting? That's pretty key.

Sounds like you've got a heck of a shot for a beginner! The fluttering is likely due to not closing the blade/rolling the wrists on the follow through. It takes a while to get the timing down, so keep practicing.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 03:55 PM
goldfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Did you get the skates baked? How was the fitting? That's pretty key.

Sounds like you've got a heck of a shot for a beginner! The fluttering is likely due to not closing the blade/rolling the wrists on the follow through. It takes a while to get the timing down, so keep practicing.
I didn't get them baked. In hindsight, I should of waited for a more knowledgeable person to help me get skates. I was just excited and wanted to buy them ASAP. The girl who "helped" me get skates was slightly less then helpful. I put on the x:20's and said.."yea I mean it feels good I guess, I don't really know what I'm supposed to be feeling though?" She kinda stammered out that she didn't really know either. I tried on a few other models..I can't remember what they were but the x:20's definitely felt the best out of the 4 I tried.

The fitting on them is pretty good..I think. My feet are pretty normal..if anything a little bit on the narrower side which I've read is what the vapors are for. Maybe I just got lucky? I've had a little bit of arch pain my first few times out skating with them but it wasn't terrible or extremely painful just a dull throbbing. Everytime I've gone it's gotten less and less..I was assuming as the skate broke in.

Oh and another question I had. I haven't had this issue any of the other times I went to a public skate..but last night I was having skate wobble issues with my left foot. It felt like it wasn't tight enough around my ankle and I kept retying them as tightly as possible to eliminate it but it always came back.

Old
12-30-2010, 05:36 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfish View Post
I didn't get them baked. In hindsight, I should of waited for a more knowledgeable person to help me get skates. I was just excited and wanted to buy them ASAP. The girl who "helped" me get skates was slightly less then helpful. I put on the x:20's and said.."yea I mean it feels good I guess, I don't really know what I'm supposed to be feeling though?" She kinda stammered out that she didn't really know either. I tried on a few other models..I can't remember what they were but the x:20's definitely felt the best out of the 4 I tried.

The fitting on them is pretty good..I think. My feet are pretty normal..if anything a little bit on the narrower side which I've read is what the vapors are for. Maybe I just got lucky? I've had a little bit of arch pain my first few times out skating with them but it wasn't terrible or extremely painful just a dull throbbing. Everytime I've gone it's gotten less and less..I was assuming as the skate broke in.

Oh and another question I had. I haven't had this issue any of the other times I went to a public skate..but last night I was having skate wobble issues with my left foot. It felt like it wasn't tight enough around my ankle and I kept retying them as tightly as possible to eliminate it but it always came back.
X20s don't bake.

The wobble thing, the arch pain, and the blister are all from your skates being a bit to big for you. Your left foot is probably a bit smaller than your right foot and if your foot was cold it will even be a bit smaller than normal. I'm guessing that you are right handed and the right foot gives you less trouble than your left foot.
Try some supper feet foot beds that might help. the foot beds in the x20s are crap anyway.

Last edited by adaminnj: 12-30-2010 at 05:43 PM.
adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 03:17 PM
goldfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
X20s don't bake.

The wobble thing, the arch pain, and the blister are all from your skates being a bit to big for you. Your left foot is probably a bit smaller than your right foot and if your foot was cold it will even be a bit smaller than normal. I'm guessing that you are right handed and the right foot gives you less trouble than your left foot.
Try some supper feet foot beds that might help. the foot beds in the x20s are crap anyway.
oh well that's not good..I'll try some new foot beds and see if it alleviates the problem. Thanks for the tip

Old
01-27-2011, 11:17 AM
goldfish

Didn't want to create a whole new thread on this so I'm bumping this thread back up..

I made it to another stick and puck yesterday and despite the socks I'm still having the issue with my my pants getting caught behind the upper lip of my shinguards..it's really annoying! Is my shin guard to big?

Old
01-27-2011, 02:02 PM
beth

Quote:
I made it to another stick and puck yesterday and despite the socks I'm still having the issue with my my pants getting caught behind the upper lip of my shinguards..it's really annoying! Is my shin guard to big?
You might need longer pants. You should be able to bend your knees without the pants coming all the way over the top of your shinguards and leaving an unprotected part of your leg.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:32 PM
goldfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth View Post
You might need longer pants. You should be able to bend your knees without the pants coming all the way over the top of your shinguards and leaving an unprotected part of your leg.
Do they make pants longer length wise without making them larger in the waist? I already got about a foot of the "belt" hanging there when I tighten them up.

Would a picture help pinpoint the problem? if I put my skates, shinguards and pants on and take a few pictures..standing, bending and sitting?

Old
01-27-2011, 03:46 PM
beth

The belts seem to have quite a tail on them no matter what, so don't use that as a guide. Fitting pants is tricky - because they are supposed to be big - it takes some getting used to if you haven't worn hockey pants before. I thought mine were excessively huge because I had to get the next size up to accommodate long legs, but then a teammate commented about how well-fitting they looked. Now that I've been in them a few times, they don't seem big anymore. I've got Women's Bauers One75 in Medium. And I'm 5'5, about 115lb.

edit: but go ahead and add a pic - it's always great to see people and maybe it will help!

Old
01-27-2011, 03:58 PM
Ozolinsh_27

I'm a little late to the thread, but out of curiosity what color is your cage? If you had or have a choice, I suggest trying out chrome as its less distracting when searching for the puck in your feet if using black.

Ozolinsh_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 05:28 PM
goldfish

Quote:
The belts seem to have quite a tail on them no matter what, so don't use that as a guide. Fitting pants is tricky - because they are supposed to be big - it takes some getting used to if you haven't worn hockey pants before. I thought mine were excessively huge because I had to get the next size up to accommodate long legs, but then a teammate commented about how well-fitting they looked. Now that I've been in them a few times, they don't seem big anymore. I've got Women's Bauers One75 in Medium. And I'm 5'5, about 115lb.

edit: but go ahead and add a pic - it's always great to see people and maybe it will help!
alright I'll get one tonight or tomorrow and post it up to see what you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozolinsh_27 View Post
I'm a little late to the thread, but out of curiosity what color is your cage? If you had or have a choice, I suggest trying out chrome as its less distracting when searching for the puck in your feet if using black.
my cage is like a bronze color

Old
01-28-2011, 09:59 AM
umpft

Quote:
I also had a hard time getting fitting pants. I'm 5'10 and I weight 150lbs, I wear jeans size 29 with a belt.

The guys in the shops over here will sell you anything they have, fitting or not, it doesn't matter. Looking back, I should have used my common sense well hindsight is always 10/10.

I asked for advice and they sold me a pair of RBK 7k in L, like 2 sizes larger than what I wear, the rationale being that smaller sizes would leave an unprotected space between the top of the shin pads and the bottom of the pants.

I could fit two legs in one leg opening... I look like an umpa lumpa. AHAHAHHA Other than that, I can move quite well and from the point of view of protection, they're good.

TL;DR Maybe I haven't heard of it yet, but it seems like length and waist size scale together: the longer the wider, almost everywhere. Better go in a lhs and try different brands, probably there are some that fit "skinnier" to start with, so that you can size up and not look weird. RBK seem to have some kind of "baggy" fit, to me. Take seller's advice with a grain of salt.

Last edited by umpft: 01-28-2011 at 10:05 AM.
umpft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 10:53 AM
goldfish

Ok so here is a wide shot to show where the pants are sitting on my waist (roughly)

Here's a little bit more zoomed in shot of my legs

This is what happens when i bend my legs..

And then stand back up

Here's me sitting with my legs at a 90 degree angle looking straight down

Old
01-28-2011, 11:44 AM
SouthpawTRK

If you get some hockey socks that should help out the issue with your shin guards. If you still are having an issue with your shin guards when you have your socks over them, you could try some clear tape above the knee cap. You might also try opening up the zippers on the inside of the pant leg to allow more room and perhaps the shin guard won't get caught up on your pant.

They do make pants that are longer; +1 inch. They can usually be found on ebay or places that sell pro stock and/or college gear.

Sounds like you are off to a great start!!!

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 01:22 PM
goldfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawTRK View Post
If you get some hockey socks that should help out the issue with your shin guards. If you still are having an issue with your shin guards when you have your socks over them, you could try some clear tape above the knee cap. You might also try opening up the zippers on the inside of the pant leg to allow more room and perhaps the shin guard won't get caught up on your pant.

They do make pants that are longer; +1 inch. They can usually be found on ebay or places that sell pro stock and/or college gear.

Sounds like you are off to a great start!!!
Unfortunately it does it with the hockey socks on as well. I'll look for a zipper to see if that is an option..if not I guess taping the top flap down to my leg is the next option

Old
01-28-2011, 01:36 PM
beth

Oh, those pics help a lot. Your shinguards look too long. (Like you originally thought.) The knee cap is sitting really high. Your pants look fine.

Old
01-28-2011, 01:42 PM
goldfish

Quote:
Oh, those pics help a lot. Your shinguards look too long. (Like you originally thought.) The knee cap is sitting really high. Your pants look fine.
Glad they helped!

They are 14"..Odd though it seems like the basic rule of thumb for shinguards is from the top of the skate boot to the center of the knee cap is your size. My measurement is dead on 14" I also found a reebok specific sizing chart that says the 14" shinguard is roughly for 5' 4"-5' 8" and I'm 5' 11"

Guess I just have an abnormally small shin? lol?

I guess either way I'll exchange them for a 13" and see if it helps

Old
01-28-2011, 01:45 PM
beth

I made a pic for you to compare. (Yes, I am still in my jammies).

Last edited by beth: 03-04-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old
01-28-2011, 01:49 PM
beth

Mine are 14" too. Crazy! Maybe a different brand would work better?

Old
01-28-2011, 01:56 PM
thedonger

Quote:
Glad they helped!

They are 14"..Odd though it seems like the basic rule of thumb for shinguards is from the top of the skate boot to the center of the knee cap is your size. My measurement is dead on 14" I also found a reebok specific sizing chart that says the 14" shinguard is roughly for 5' 4"-5' 8" and I'm 5' 11"

Guess I just have an abnormally small shin? lol?

I guess either way I'll exchange them for a 13" and see if it helps
as long as your knee cap is sitting in the center donut of the knee pad, then i'd say the length is perfect. looks like either you don't have your pants pulled up all the way or they're too long/big for you.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote