HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Would these Sabres be terrible to keep for 2011?

Old
01-27-2011, 12:32 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
The Stafford expeirment has been a complete failure on the Roy/Vanek line. I wouldn't go that route again. Learn from thy mistakes and move along.
I see Stafford as a secondary scorer. I think he is better off not playing on a top scoring line

Quote:
I'd like a Center and LW'er for line 2 to go with Pomminville and a RW'er to go with Vanek and Roy from outside the organization, unless Kassian can come in and find instant chemistry with the two.

I would like to see an Ennis - Byron - Kassian line 3.
We really need to role 3 true scoring lines again, I'd like 4.

Gerbe needs to come off of the Goose/McCormick line in order to thrive production wise.

I believe Kaleta is done as a full season player. He plays the type of game that is going to force him to curtail his role given the amount of injuries he is piling up

If Pommer and Vanek are here next season I would like to see them play together. They've been clicking pretty well since being put together after Roy went down.

I don't get why Ruff never tried these two together before. I'm a Ruff fan but this has always been a puzzler for me. Vanek struggled with consistancy on the top line and his elevated role at ES after the captains left. They have tried for years to find a winger to play with Vanek/Roy. Why didn't Ruff put the only proven top line winger we have with them? Pommer had a very good year as the top line RW in 06-07. It seems to me that he would have been able to help Vanek/Roy make the transition.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 01:16 PM
ColonelForbin

Whoever they keep, they need to go back to having a third line that can produce. This team, as it is currently constructed, lacks the elite talent in the top-six to devote an entire line to checking.

This would be true even if Niedermayer and Grier were having good seasons. While a defensive third line helped get them a playoff birth last season, the team was completely unable to score goals once they got there.

Ennis-Roy-Stafford
Vanek-xxxx-Pominville
Gerbe-xxxx-Kassian
McCormick-Gaustad-Kaleta

Adam or Byron could potentially fill the 3rd line center spot, but that's a ton of youth in the top-9, and they'll likely want to have a few guys available to fill in for injuries.

I don't really want to see Hecht go, but that's what I'd prefer to see on the wings. I wouldn't totally mind seeing him center the Pominville line if there are no center options available.

ColonelForbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 04:19 PM
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa

Deadline Trades:
-Connolly to NYR for 2nd
-Montador to CHI for CGY's 2nd
-Grier to SJ for 5th
(no takers for Special Neids and Rivet)

Free Agency:
- Sign Joni Pitkanen (5.25 X 5 years)
- Sign Steve Montador (2.75 x 3 years)
- Sign Cheap UFA d-man (.650 x 1 year)
- Re-sign McCormick
- Re-sign Ellis
- Re-sign RFA's Stafford, Sekera, Weber, and Gerbe

Offseason Trades:
-Pominville for Stoll, 3rd
-Pysyk, Butler, 3rd for Little
-Morrisonn for a 6th (cap space)

Draft:
-Ryan Strome (10th overall)
** Sabres also have 3 2nd's, and an extra 5th

Ennis-Roy-Vanek

Adam/Gerbe-Little-Stafford

Hecht-Stoll-Kassian

McCormick-Gaustad-Kaleta

x. Adam/Gerbe, Ellis

Pitkanen-Myers

Leopold-Montador

Weber-Sekera

x. (Cheap UFA)

Miller
Enroth

With this roster I think you have a very solid, if unspectacular group of forwards. You have four solid lines with three centers that can produce. There's also adequate grit, size and toughness throughout with the additions of Kassian and Stoll. The defense seems very soild with the addition of another # 1 defenseman in Pitkanen. Goaltending is still a strong point with Miller and a competent (about time!) backup in Enroth.

Last edited by Irving Zisman: 01-27-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Irving Zisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 06:48 PM
SabresHockey66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy4Prez View Post
Deadline Trades:
-Connolly to NYR for 2nd
-Montador to CHI for CGY's 2nd
-Grier to SJ for 5th
(no takers for Special Neids and Rivet)

Free Agency:
- Sign Joni Pitkanen (5.25 X 5 years)
- Sign Steve Montador (2.75 x 3 years)
- Sign Cheap UFA d-man (.650 x 1 year)
- Re-sign McCormick
- Re-sign Ellis
- Re-sign RFA's Stafford, Sekera, Weber, and Gerbe

Offseason Trades:
-Pominville for Stoll, 3rd
-Pysyk, Butler, 3rd for Little
-Morrisonn for a 6th (cap space)

Draft:
-Ryan Strome (10th overall)
** Sabres also have 3 2nd's, and an extra 5th

Ennis-Roy-Vanek

Adam/Gerbe-Little-Stafford

Hecht-Stoll-Kassian

McCormick-Gaustad-Kaleta
x. Adam/Gerbe, Ellis

Pitkanen-Myers

Leopold-Montador

Weber-Sekera
x. (Cheap UFA)

Miller
Enroth

***********************[/B][/B]

With this roster I think you have a very solid, if unspectacular group of forwards. You have four solid lines with three centers that can produce. There's also adequate grit, size and toughness throughout with the additions of Kassian and Stoll. The defense seems very soild with the addition of another # 1 defenseman in Pitkanen. Goaltending is still a strong point with Miller and a competent (about time!) backup in Enroth.
No reason whatsoever to sign Ellis. I know he plays his heart out, I know he gives it his all every shift. But he has no offensive talent and is not very good in a physical role. I wouldn't be mad if they did but there is really no reason to give him a contract. I'd rather have Foligno on a call up, give kids experience as opposed to non offensive career AHLers/Possible 4th line fill ins.

Not sold on Stafford. This is a contract year. I would give him a short deal with a small raise but he would be best used in a trade IMO. And yes, I know if we have a hope to make the playoffs (not sold there either) then we need him here to finish the year.

Hecht should be traded to a team in need of PK help. He is not a center. He IS a third line player. And we should be rolling 3 scoring lines like others have said due to a lack of star scoring talent on the top two lines, in which case Hecht is either a 4th liner here for the PK and occasional shift or moved out in a package to fill a need.

SabresHockey66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 10:21 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

So it seems with the responses so far, few people want to give suggestions with ONLY these players staying, and ALL other current players on the team either being traded, unsigned, etc...
Any realistic players we could fill in the ????. No, not other Sabres that aren't listed
Isn't that a good roster so far that could stay?

Vanek-Roy-Stafford
Ennis-????-Pominville
Gerbe-????-McCormick*
????-????-Kaleta
Kassian

Myers-Sekera
Leopold-Montador
Weber-Butler
????

Miller
Enroth

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 11:19 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

I'd like the defense upgraded. Another season with the current group is iffy.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 11:35 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Zamboni View Post
So it seems with the responses so far, few people want to give suggestions with ONLY these players staying, and ALL other current players on the team either being traded, unsigned, etc...
Any realistic players we could fill in the ????. No, not other Sabres that aren't listed

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 09:24 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Ronny,
As much as you like Gaustad and xzibit, the proposed lineup isn't about Gaustad or any other player I didn't keep for next year. I just wanted some peoples ideas on who could fill in the holes if some players were not here, including yes, Gaustad. I understand some people want him back next year. Others want Hecht back, others Morrisonn. So in your world Gaustad is a must have... Um ok.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 09:58 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Zamboni View Post
Ronny,
As much as you like Gaustad and xzibit, the proposed lineup isn't about Gaustad or any other player I didn't keep for next year. I just wanted some peoples ideas on who could fill in the holes if some players were not here, including yes, Gaustad. I understand some people want him back next year. Others want Hecht back, others Morrisonn. So in your world Gaustad is a must have... Um ok.

Why create a hole at center in the bottom 6 when you don't need to?

Last edited by joshjull: 01-28-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old
01-28-2011, 12:10 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresHockey66 View Post
No reason whatsoever to sign Ellis. I know he plays his heart out, I know he gives it his all every shift. But he has no offensive talent and is not very good in a physical role. I wouldn't be mad if they did but there is really no reason to give him a contract. I'd rather have Foligno on a call up, give kids experience as opposed to non offensive career AHLers/Possible 4th line fill ins.

Not sold on Stafford. This is a contract year. I would give him a short deal with a small raise but he would be best used in a trade IMO. And yes, I know if we have a hope to make the playoffs (not sold there either) then we need him here to finish the year.

Hecht should be traded to a team in need of PK help. He is not a center. He IS a third line player. And we should be rolling 3 scoring lines like others have said due to a lack of star scoring talent on the top two lines, in which case Hecht is either a 4th liner here for the PK and occasional shift or moved out in a package to fill a need.
How about sign Ellis again on a two way deal. It gives them solid vet depth for the farm and doesn't block any youngster from making the team.

Old
01-28-2011, 12:49 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by vile21 View Post
Ovechkin-Stamkos-Crosby
Sedin-Sedin-Datsyuk
kovulchuk-richards-gaborik
Kaleta-Staal-st. Louis

Pronger-Doughty
Keith-Rafalski
Niedermeyer(out of retirement)-Boyle

Miller
Luongo
Do not like. Kaleta would not see enough ice time in that lineup.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote