HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Travel advice

Old
01-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

vCash: 500
Travel advice

Hey Kings fans,

I'm probably going to be in LA next week and I'm looking for a hotel in the Hollywood/Los Feliz area - or any other neighbourhood that is no further than 30 minutes away by public transit of Hollywood. I don't have a huge budget and I'm looking to pay around $60-70$ a night. I looked on Expedia and other sites but I have no idea what areas are good/bad so I'm looking for advice here.

I'll be there for four days so if there's anything other than the big attractions that I need to see, let me know!

Mods, if you have a general travel info thread or a more appropriate thread for this, please move it.

Thanks!

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
You will need a car

Los Feliz is a safe neighborhood.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 01:03 PM
Alternate Jersey

the best thing about los feliz (in my opinion) is the fact that you can breathe up there as you're a little higher in the atmosphere and the smog bothers less. some good little coffee/pie shops in the area that are open late, too.

EDIT: that being said, don't know much about the hotel situation, sorry...

Alternate Jersey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 01:06 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Don't mean to be a Debbie Downer but I'm not even sure you'll be able to find a Motel 6 for $60-$70 a night. Especially in that area.

The Metro Red Line runs between Downtown LA and North Hollywood and goes right through Hollywood. Here is the link to the map/timetables...

http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/bu...images/802.pdf

maybe you can use this as a tool to find hotels near a stop?

EDIT: Los Feliz is a nice area but there are plenty of parts of Hollywood that are not. As far as finding the best deal, try using tripadvisor.com as you can search all the major travel sites in one click. Once you zero in on a hotel or area and have narrowed your options, search for coupon codes at all the major travel sites. For example, last week I went to see teh Kings/Coyotes in Phoenix. I found a hotel that I liked that was $80 a night and was able to track down a coupon code for orbitz and get it for $70 a night. I was originally gonna buy it from expedia who had the cheapest (regular) price.

Last edited by Buddy The Elf: 01-28-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
You will need a car

Los Feliz is a safe neighborhood.
Car is not an option, sadly. I wish I could rent one, but I have some license issues over here in Quebec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternate Jersey View Post
the best thing about los feliz (in my opinion) is the fact that you can breathe up there as you're a little higher in the atmosphere and the smog bothers less. some good little coffee/pie shops in the area that are open late, too.

Couldn't find much hotels in Los Feliz, I'm probably going to look for hotels directly in Hollywood and the likes. Looks like a nice place though, I might go take a stroll over there if I have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Don't mean to be a Debbie Downer but I'm not even sure you'll be able to find a Motel 6 for $60-$70 a night. Especially in that area.

The Metro Red Line runs between Downtown LA and North Hollywood and goes right through Hollywood. Here is the link to the map/timetables...

http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/bu...images/802.pdf

maybe you can use this as a tool to find hotels near a stop?
I got a few hotels around Hollywood in the 60-90 range. I'm not worried about the price, I have a few options for that. Just wanted to get some info on the areas and possibly good cheap hotels some people on this board may know of.

Thanks for the map, that will definitely be useful!

EDIT: Thanks a lot for the extra info Buddy. I completely forgot about TripAdviser, I'll take a look. I planned to look for coupons as well, that always can sweeten the deal a bit.

Thanks for the help all!

Old
01-28-2011, 01:16 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleneck Plek View Post
I got a few hotels around Hollywood in the 60-90 range. I'm not worried about the price, I have a few options for that. Just wanted to get some info on the areas and possibly good cheap hotels some people on this board may know of.

Thanks for the map, that will definitely be useful!
Again, not too familiar with the area as I haven't spent much time there in the past 10 years but maybe look up by Universal City. That might be a better neighborhood to be in. West Hollywood (towards Beverly Hills and Westwood) is definitely the nicer side of town.

And have fun!

Old
01-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Alternate Jersey

yer welcome, have fun!

Old
01-28-2011, 01:29 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

LA and public transit aren't said in the same sentence without laughter being involved.

It's a shame you can't rent a car, because the trip is going to basically suck now.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 01:36 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
LA and public transit aren't said in the same sentence without laughter being involved.

It's a shame you can't rent a car, because the trip is going to basically suck now.
Meh. I'm used to having a 4-hour (round trip) public transit commute everyday. I don't mind waiting a bit to get around and I'll probably take a couple of cabs as well.

Old
01-28-2011, 01:45 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

$60-$70 a night is damn near impossible unless you stay at a roach motel. Can you use a credit card?

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
$60-$70 a night is damn near impossible unless you stay at a roach motel. Can you use a credit card?
Yes I can. $60-$70 is indeed pretty low and I'd go up to $90. However I've found alright places on the net for around $70-$80 a night.

Old
01-28-2011, 02:12 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Meh. I'm used to having a 4-hour (round trip) public transit commute everyday. I don't mind waiting a bit to get around and I'll probably take a couple of cabs as well.
Ignore the haters. LA does have a pretty bad transit system but if you plan accordingly (as you are), you can use it to your advantage and still have a good time. Especially because you have chosen an area to spend time that actually has a train that runs through it and it runs regularly and into the late hours of the night. I travel on a small budget a lot and have fun. Don't get me wrong, having a car here is more convenient and the better way but it can be done without one.

Be very careful with cabs because everything is so far here, you could end up spending an arm and a leg just to get across town.

If you want any advice on getting around on public tranist, I'm your resource. I use it quite frequently and I own a car. Are you flying into LAX? if so, there is a bus that will take you to Union Station (main transit hub) from there as well. Also, do you plan to ONLY be in the Hollywood area? If so, a car is almost completely unnecessary then.

Old
01-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Ignore the haters. LA does have a pretty bad transit system but if you plan accordingly (as you are), you can use it to your advantage and still have a good time. Especially because you have chosen an area to spend time that actually has a train that runs through it and it runs regularly and into the late hours of the night. I travel on a small budget a lot and have fun. Don't get me wrong, having a car here is more convenient and the better way but it can be done without one.

Be very careful with cabs because everything is so far here, you could end up spending an arm and a leg just to get across town.

If you want any advice on getting around on public tranist, I'm your resource. I use it quite frequently and I own a car. Are you flying into LAX? if so, there is a bus that will take you to Union Station (main transit hub) from there as well. Also, do you plan to ONLY be in the Hollywood area? If so, a car is almost completely unnecessary then.
Yeah, I'm really not worried with public transit. I know I can expect an hour+ of travelling to go somewhere and I don't mind it that much.

I've spent the last few days going around LA on Google Maps so I sure noticed how enormous your city is. I'll probably use cabs to shorten public transit travel, but I won't go through the city with them. Before going on a taxi run, I always check the time it's supposed to take on Google Maps so I know approx. how much it's going to cost me.

And I'll hold you to that resource tag haha. I am flying into LAX, great to know there's a bus that'll take me to Union Station.

I plan to mostly stay around the Hollywood area. I'm supposed to be there four days so I planned to do Hollywood one day, probably Universal Studios the next day, hang out around Griffith Park the next (subject to change if there's anything better) and then go down to Venice Beach for a day. Apart from Venice, all the locations are not that far from Hollywood so I thought it would be a good way to spend my days in LA. Let me know if you have any recommendations.

Old
01-28-2011, 02:50 PM
onlyalad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post

The subway is fine, but the busses are worthless. Most of the tourist spots are near subways. If you can find a hotel near the Red Line you can see many sites.

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 02:53 PM
Alternate Jersey

Quote:
I plan to mostly stay around the Hollywood area. I'm supposed to be there four days so I planned to do Hollywood one day, probably Universal Studios the next day, hang out around Griffith Park the next (subject to change if there's anything better) and then go down to Venice Beach for a day. Apart from Venice, all the locations are not that far from Hollywood so I thought it would be a good way to spend my days in LA. Let me know if you have any recommendations.
Griffith Park--or at least the observatory--is PACKED almost all the time, i swear...though other people may have experienced otherwise. that being said, it's gorgeous on a really nice day and definitely worth the trip. the view is great. i'd suggest packing a nice little picnic to take up there and eat it on the lawn or somewhere else in the park.

Old
01-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:
Yes I can. $60-$70 is indeed pretty low and I'd go up to $90. However I've found alright places on the net for around $70-$80 a night.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a downer at all. Hope you have a great visit to LA, the weather should be perfect!

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
Griffith Park--or at least the observatory--is PACKED almost all the time, i swear...though other people may have experienced otherwise. that being said, it's gorgeous on a really nice day and definitely worth the trip. the view is great. i'd suggest packing a nice little picnic to take up there and eat it on the lawn or somewhere else in the park.
I don't plan to go to the observatory, I just want to chill around the park and enjoy the sights. One of my friends did tell me that it could get a bit crowded, but knowing myself I'm sure I'll be able to find a nice spot. Definitely planned to take a lunch with me. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a downer at all. Hope you have a great visit to LA, the weather should be perfect!
No worries man. Fully looking to enjoy the weather, it'll be a nice change to be able to wear just shorts and a t-shirt. Canadian winter .

Old
01-28-2011, 03:40 PM
Defgarden

Quote:

You'd have to get thousands of feet above sea level to get above the temperature inversion layer to avoid smog. Los Feliz is no better for smog than most other inland parts of LA. It's still a bit better than the IE though, but that's because the smog slowly pushes east during the day.

In any case, we need an all-encompassing travel to LA thread as a sticky, with short descriptions of the major parts of LA, best places to eat, spots to visit, how to get around, etc. Seems like these threads come up pretty often. But yea, I know, who wants to write the whole damn thing right?

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 05:04 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Hey Kings fans,

I'm probably going to be in LA next week and I'm looking for a hotel in the Hollywood/Los Feliz area - or any other neighbourhood that is no further than 30 minutes away by public transit of Hollywood. I don't have a huge budget and I'm looking to pay around $60-70$ a night. I looked on Expedia and other sites but I have no idea what areas are good/bad so I'm looking for advice here.

I'll be there for four days so if there's anything other than the big attractions that I need to see, let me know!

Mods, if you have a general travel info thread or a more appropriate thread for this, please move it.

Thanks!
I see you are Canadian so I will share with you some travel tips that I gave Vancouver fans who were coming to LA during last season's playoffs. I have copied and pasted this from the article I wrote then. Much of it will prove useful for you.

Quote:
We gave our LA faithful travel tips for their trip to Vancouver here. Now, it is time to help our north of the border friends adjust to Los Angeles. The lakingsnews.com travel council offers the following advice:

10. The straggly looking homeless folks offering tickets are actually with the team and would appreciate you buying them a drink.

9. “Ese” is a variation of “eh” and it is also best used at the end of a sentence. For example, to the concession stand lady at Staples, “Get me a super dog and a Coors light, Ese” or to the taxi driver, “to the Spearmint Rhino, Ese.” This complimentary slang is most appreciated by young Hispanic males.

8. If you find yourself more than 3 miles from Staples Center, the buildings look grayer, windows are knocked out, and there are few street lights, your best bet is to park near an alley and find a pay phone. A request for change is best expressed by, “do you have a dime, ese?”

7. For every mile away from Staples Center that you lodge, give yourself 3 minutes extra drive time.

6. The best restaurants are tucked away in the quiet neighborhoods of South Central LA.

5. That ever expanding dark cloud as you drive south on Interstate 5 toward Orange County will follow you back to Canada. It is best to stay clear.

4. We spell centre, c-e-n-t-e-r; defence, d-e-f-e-n-s-e; offence, o-f-f-e-n-s-e; favourite without the “u”; and sucks, n-u-c-k-s.

3. A new LA ordinance allows all Vancouver residents to smoke pot in public while actively soliciting a prostitute with their partner. Unfortunately, that same ordinance doesn’t permit you to buy alcohol in any bar or restaurant after 730pm.

2. To avoid the shock of different prices and tax rates, we suggest you tip your servers 82%.

1. Kings fans are patient, kind and affable. The bigger they are, the more they enjoy a good ribbing about the team. There is nothing but love behind the scowls.
http://lakingsnews.com/2010/04/18/tr...coming-to-l-a/

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
I see you are Canadian so I will share with you some travel tips that I gave Vancouver fans who were coming to LA during last season's playoffs. I have copied and pasted this from the article I wrote then. Much of it will prove useful for you.

http://lakingsnews.com/2010/04/18/tr...coming-to-l-a/
I definitely plan on grabbing a meal in one of South Central's finest restaurants. I think I'm gonna go for a walk right after my meal in one of the numerous 5-star establishments the neighbourhood offers. I love walking alone in perfectly safe areas at night.

Nice list still, I'll make sure to keep those in mind.

Old
01-28-2011, 06:09 PM
Sybil227

The thread is a little old - but if you're looking for things to do in LA:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=648255

Sybil227 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 06:11 PM
Alternate Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defgarden View Post
You'd have to get thousands of feet above sea level to get above the temperature inversion layer to avoid smog. Los Feliz is no better for smog than most other inland parts of LA. It's still a bit better than the IE though, but that's because the smog slowly pushes east during the day.

In any case, we need an all-encompassing travel to LA thread as a sticky, with short descriptions of the major parts of LA, best places to eat, spots to visit, how to get around, etc. Seems like these threads come up pretty often. But yea, I know, who wants to write the whole damn thing right?
haha well i know it's not above the inversion layer or anything literal like that. but there are at least some TREES up there in good amounts. the entire time i've lived in LA, it's been downtown or in university park, and although it may not be scientifically correct...i feel like i can breathe up there a lot better!

Old
01-29-2011, 11:15 AM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Thanks to everybody for the help, I think I have a good idea of all things LA now.

Would have loved to catch a Kings game while I'm there, but it seems you guys are going on the longest road trip ever at the start of February; too bad.

Old
01-29-2011, 12:27 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Just a FYI - Getting a cab here requires a lot more effort than it does in many major cities. In most cases you'll have to call ahead to have them pick you up rather than being able to just hail one on the street

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 01:27 PM
JMFJ 3

Quote:
haha well i know it's not above the inversion layer or anything literal like that. but there are at least some TREES up there in good amounts. the entire time i've lived in LA, it's been downtown or in university park, and although it may not be scientifically correct...i feel like i can breathe up there a lot better!
It's a psychological thing. You may feel better because of your surroundings, but in reality the air quality is probably the same as anywhere else. The best air quality in LA is along the coastal regions because of the sea breezes.

JMFJ 3 is offline   Reply With Quote