HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Matt Walker (PHI) and Ales Kotalik (CGY) [both clear]

Old
01-28-2011, 01:33 AM
Street Hawk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Sure but without that trade the Flames could have easily had both. And Kotalik's contact is not "out of the way." Best case scenario is paying a guy 1.5 million to not play on your team next year. But more likely he's 3 million wasted for this year and next. Flames are already spending the 2nd most money in the league. Wouldn't count on them replacing that 3 million cap hit even with Kotalik in the minors.
If not one claims him, probably see a buyout in the summer. Saves the team $1 million dollars and they take a $1 million cap hit a season over 2 years.

Only other way out is for Kotalik to not report to the AHL team, then the Flames can suspend him and put him on waivers again, then void his contract.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 02:57 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
You have to give props to Sather for more than this. He has an amazing habit of handing out awful contracts BUT having the GM skills to pawn-off those ugly deals on other GM's *without* taking alot of garbage salaries in return (Gomez for example). Impressive - just don't let him get involved in negotiating contracts.
Oh I know he does and kudos to him for pulling it off. He got rid of Kotalik, Gomez, and Brashear and banished Redden to the minors. Drury and Boogaard are still the Rangers' problems but it's unbelievable how Sather can be so bad at free agency and good at trades.

It's just beyond me why he gave Kotalik 3M per for 3 years and a NTC. Kotalik gets a NTC. I know they're being given out more now but come on. You don't give one to a player as streaky as Kotalik.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 05:59 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by o Hamhuis 2 x View Post
Thank god somebody agrees with me
At this point I don't trust either of them. I hate Walker because he is an awful hockey player, making 3 times his value. Bartulis just has no confidence and isn't comfortable. I think he could be a decent 3rd pairing guy

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 07:55 AM
ComixZone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Oh I know he does and kudos to him for pulling it off. He got rid of Kotalik, Gomez, and Brashear and banished Redden to the minors. Drury and Boogaard are still the Rangers' problems but it's unbelievable how Sather can be so bad at free agency and good at trades.

It's just beyond me why he gave Kotalik 3M per for 3 years and a NTC. Kotalik gets a NTC. I know they're being given out more now but come on. You don't give one to a player as streaky as Kotalik.

To clarify on this - his NTC is limited to 3 teams. As in, he can specify 3 teams in which he won't accept a trade to. Rumours had it back when the Flames acquired him, that Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary were those 3 teams specified in his contract.

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:05 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
At this point I don't trust either of them. I hate Walker because he is an awful hockey player, making 3 times his value. Bartulis just has no confidence and isn't comfortable. I think he could be a decent 3rd pairing guy
See, this is my problem.

Why the hell do you hate Walker? He's not an awful hockey player. He's a solid bottom pairing d-man. We never came close to seeing him at his best. He injured both hips and there's no way he's back up to game speed just yet.

He's making twice his value (not three times) and that is the problem.

I have no problem with him getting waived given the Flyers cap situation, but this irrational hate some Flyers fans have for Walker & also Shelley is just plain silly.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post
Only other way out is for Kotalik to not report to the AHL team, then the Flames can suspend him and put him on waivers again, then void his contract.
Don't see Kotalik doing that as he is going to be making $3 million this season and next - guaranteed. Why give up a great deal like that? How's going to be paying him more than that overseas (taxes considerations included)? And if they were, he would've bolted already.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:21 AM
Vitto79

http://twitter.com/tsnbobmckenzie

both clear

re-entry for Kotalik?

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Walkingthroughforest
Johnny B. Goode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Don't see Kotalik doing that as he is going to be making $3 million this season and next - guaranteed. Why give up a great deal like that? How's going to be paying him more than that overseas (taxes considerations included)? And if they were, he would've bolted already.
No one wants to play in the minors and he can get the same money, or equivalent, tax free in the KHL. I don't see him reporting to abbotsford.

Walkingthroughforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:29 AM
Cooperalls
Oiler Fan!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole435 View Post
No one wants to play in the minors and he can get the same money, or equivalent, tax free in the KHL. I don't see him reporting to abbotsford.
He's a 32 year old Czech. I don't see him bolting to the KHL. He has 3 million reasons to play it out in Abbotsford. If he floats in the NHL, he'll have no qualms about floating around in the AHL. Zero heart.

Cooperalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:33 AM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperalls View Post
He's a 32 year old Czech. I don't see him bolting to the KHL. He has 3 million reasons to play it out in Abbotsford. If he floats in the NHL, he'll have no qualms about floating around in the AHL. Zero heart.
And that's the one reason the Flames would be reluctant to assign him to Abbotsford - they don't want his attitude or work ethic to rub off on the limited prospect pool they have. I'm sure they'll find him a place to play in Europe. They're on the hook for his $3 million anyways.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:35 AM
The Big Jankowski

Kotalik has been re-assigned to Abbotsford.

The Big Jankowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:46 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
And that's the one reason the Flames would be reluctant to assign him to Abbotsford - they don't want his attitude or work ethic to rub off on the limited prospect pool they have. I'm sure they'll find him a place to play in Europe. They're on the hook for his $3 million anyways.
That might be only option (something like the Huet deal) - with the Flames picking up a major part of his salary - but as you said, at least he won't have any negative influence on their prospects in Abbotsford.

I seriously doubt the KHL is doing that well to be giving him a guaranteed equivalent $ 3 million contract thru the NEXT season for a 32 year old player that really hasn't done anything special.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:49 AM
Juice

Cleared as per Bobby Mac

Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 12:18 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian822 View Post
Walker as their #7 is hell of a lot better then Bartulis.
No he isn't. Not with the cap hits. Bartulis was inserted when needed and did just fine.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Bobs your uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkin007 View Post
Kotalik is a beast. He shot a 103 mph slapper at their super skills!
103 mph or 150 mph, he can't score from the pressbox.

Bobs your uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 12:29 PM
Bobs your uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
The may pull a Souray and have him play in another teams minor league system.

Bobs your uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Kotalik assigned to Abbotsford as per the Fan960 in Calgary.

http://www.fan960.com/more.jsp?conte...28_144436_9048

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 02:10 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I wouldn't mind Walker as #7 on the Habs but only if we could get him on re-entry, not at full cap hit.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 02:13 PM
ComixZone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
Kotalik assigned to Abbotsford as per the Fan960 in Calgary.

http://www.fan960.com/more.jsp?conte...28_144436_9048
So awesome.

Old
01-28-2011, 04:07 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I wouldn't mind Walker as #7 on the Habs but only if we could get him on re-entry, not at full cap hit.
Will never happen though, as Flyers will bury him in minors instead of taking 800 K in dead cap space. He would be good on the Habs though imo, 5-6 guy with a mean streak, something Habs could really use imo.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 05:33 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Just a terrible analysis about Walker. But then again you said youHATE HIM"

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
To clarify on this - his NTC is limited to 3 teams. As in, he can specify 3 teams in which he won't accept a trade to. Rumours had it back when the Flames acquired him, that Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary were those 3 teams specified in his contract.
I didn't know it was partial. Capgeek has it as just "NTC" and didn't say anything was limited about it. He still must have waived it for Calgary surprisingly if the rumored list is true. If the list is true, he must not have liked his time in Edmonton. Either that or he wanted to stay out of the Northwest in general.

Regardless, even a limited NTC, it's Kotalik. He's not a guy you should give a NTC/NMC to period, full or not.

Anyone know if Walker is going down to the Phantoms?

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 05:56 PM
ComixZone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Regardless, even a limited NTC, it's Kotalik. He's not a guy you should give a NTC/NMC to period, full or not.
Can't disagree with this at all.

....I'm thanking the hockey gods that he didn't have a NMC.

Old
01-28-2011, 06:01 PM
o Hamhuis 2 x

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
Okay, we should play him. Fine.

Who can you justify sitting in his place?
O'donnell and him play every other game

o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 06:09 PM
o Hamhuis 2 x

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
See, this is my problem.

Why the hell do you hate Walker? He's not an awful hockey player. He's a solid bottom pairing d-man. We never came close to seeing him at his best. He injured both hips and there's no way he's back up to game speed just yet.

He's making twice his value (not three times) and that is the problem.

I have no problem with him getting waived given the Flyers cap situation, but this irrational hate some Flyers fans have for Walker & also Shelley is just plain silly.
I agree with you completely. I'm not a big fan of shelley but his contract isn't that much more than what he deserves so I can't really hate him for making a little more and playing his role

o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote