HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings vs. Sharks - 01/26/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
01-29-2011, 03:59 AM
Hollywood

vCash: 500
what are you talking about 1a 1b? what the hell is that?
We have a 3rd line centre that is used on the pt on the #1PP. and on the 2nd line...
Are you nuts? you think this okay? not to mention we overpay him....
are you serious? 2nd line centre? this is okay? Jarrett Stoll?
Look again at his post and players...

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 09:21 AM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
are you serious? come on...tell me you are forgetting about a bunch of teams...
... Excellent counter-argument, there.

If you feel there's a "bunch of teams" who are better defensively than the Kings, then make your case and I'll only be happy to refute it.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 11:44 AM
kingpest19

Quote:
We have a 3rd line centre that is used on the pt on the #1PP. and on the 2nd line...
1a 1b refers to a situation where the top 2 centers could go to other teams in the league and be the #1 guy.

I suggest you do the same. Look at the players he named that are considered the #2 on their team. The only one that wouldnt is Filpulla and thats a moot point because if Detroit wanted they could run Zetterberg out at the #2 slot. You cant take Stoll and compare him to those guys in any way shape or form because of the difference in skill level and the fact that not all teams are in that situation and then say Stoll isnt a #2 because of those players production rates.

Stoll is a #2 guy. Look at his stats and explain otherwise. As of right now hes 32nd in points, 7th in FO%, 23rd in goals, 38th in assists, 11th in hits. Hes defensively responsible and shows up to play every game. Quit looking at other teams who are running #1 guys at the #2 slot and realize that Stoll is a #2 guy in every way shape or form.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 11:58 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
That photo tells me at some point there was a discussion about Dean's job and whether Luc is willing to step in if we miss the playoffs

I know, I know, that's nuts...or is it?

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 08:34 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
32nd in the league scoring for centers,

Yea, I am pretty sure it's ok,

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 08:38 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Just for laughs,

Who would you rather have, Stoll or

Minnesota's 2nd line C
Buffalo's 2nd line C
Toronto's 2nd line C
Ottawa's 2nd line C
St. Louis 2nd line C
Calgary 2nd line C
Edmonton's 2nd line C
Nashville's 2nd line C
NJ 2nd line C
NYR 2nd line C
NYI 2nd line C
WAS 2nd line C
FLA 2nd line C
TBs 2nd line C
CAR 2nd line C
MTL 2nd line C
BOS 2nd line C

etc?

Seriously people need to give their head a shake....

Old
01-29-2011, 09:29 PM
scramble91

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Just for laughs,

Who would you rather have, Stoll or

Minnesota's 2nd line C
Buffalo's 2nd line C
Toronto's 2nd line C
Ottawa's 2nd line C
St. Louis 2nd line C
Calgary 2nd line C
Edmonton's 2nd line C
Nashville's 2nd line C
NJ 2nd line C
NYR 2nd line C
NYI 2nd line C
WAS 2nd line C
FLA 2nd line C
TBs 2nd line C
CAR 2nd line C
MTL 2nd line C
BOS 2nd line C

etc?

Seriously people need to give their head a shake....
I think most people think he does a good job, but none of the teams you listed are even considered serious contenders (maybe BOS). Of course we would take stoll over those teams, but the arguement is if we want to be serious contenders, do we need something better?

Just a question, you wouldnt take Krejci or Lecavlier over Stoll (skill wise)? Those are the 2 out of the list that I would question.

scramble91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 09:35 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by scramble91 View Post
I think most people think he does a good job, but none of the teams you listed are even considered serious contenders (maybe BOS). Of course we would take stoll over those teams, but the arguement is if we want to be serious contenders, do we need something better?

Just a question, you wouldnt take Krejci or Lecavlier over Stoll (skill wise)? Those are the 2 out of the list that I would question.
Don't know much about Krejc, so I really can't answer that, he might be better, I just don't know,

Lecavalier, just on skill, of course, but the problem is, skill isn't in a vacuum and you have to take the cap hit that comes with it,

As far as "real contenders" how many are there, realistically? Pittsburgh, and.....etc?

Again, Malkin isn't a 2nd line C, he is a 1B, he is a 1st line C, on 25 other teams in the league, possibly 28, etc.

Is there something better? Sure, we can get another teams #1 and stick them behind Kopitar, but I thought we were dealing with reality.

Old
01-29-2011, 09:59 PM
scramble91

Quote:
Don't know much about Krejc, so I really can't answer that, he might be better, I just don't know,

Lecavalier, just on skill, of course, but the problem is, skill isn't in a vacuum and you have to take the cap hit that comes with it,

As far as "real contenders" how many are there, realistically? Pittsburgh, and.....etc?

Again, Malkin isn't a 2nd line C, he is a 1B, he is a 1st line C, on 25 other teams in the league, possibly 28, etc.

Is there something better? Sure, we can get another teams #1 and stick them behind Kopitar, but I thought we were dealing with reality.
I would classify the real contenders this season to be the following:

Vancouver
Detroit
Pittsburgh
Philly

The 1A/1B concept is a reality for all those teams except detroit (Zett is a converted C so we could argue either way).. So why are people against it on our team? It might work, it might backfire...its a risk either way we go. Philly is knee deep with great Centers, 1 of them has to play out of position as well (giroux).

Im not saying get rid of stoll (I do forsee him being a 3rd line C on a Championship contender) or anything like that, but if we had a chance to put a Brad Richards in the mix, I wouldnt be against it. The team just lacks some skill on the top 6 right now. But with the influx of kids almost ready, I think Dean will just stand pat and see if Schenn, Lokti, Moller can fill the skill void for the next 2-3 seasons.

Old
01-29-2011, 10:04 PM
sjmay*

Quote:

Vancouver
Detroit
Pittsburgh
Philly

The 1A/1B concept is a reality for all those teams except detroit (Zett is a converted C so we could argue either way).. So why are people against it on our team? It might work, it might backfire...its a risk either way we go. Philly is knee deep with great Centers, 1 of them has to play out of position as well (giroux).

Im not saying get rid of stoll (I do forsee him being a 3rd line C on a Championship contender) or anything like that, but if we had a chance to put a Brad Richards in the mix, I wouldnt be against it. The team just lacks some skill on the top 6 right now. But with the influx of kids almost ready, I think Dean will just stand pat and see if Schenn, Lokti, Moller can fill the skill void for the next 2-3 seasons.
It's not that people are against it, people are saying it's so rare in the league, that it's improbable.

Yes, if we can sign Brad Richards, in a heartbeat Stoll becomes the best 3rd line C in the league arguably with Jordan Staal, but at what cost to add Richards, you lose somewhere else on the roster etc,

The other problem is people are trying to compare Stoll to guys like Carter, Malkin, Zetterberg etc, which is ridiculous as well, and they are saying he isn't a 2nd line C, because of that comparison.

Old
01-29-2011, 10:11 PM
scramble91

Quote:
It's not that people are against it, people are saying it's so rare in the league, that it's improbable.

Yes, if we can sign Brad Richards, in a heartbeat Stoll becomes the best 3rd line C in the league arguably with Jordan Staal, but at what cost to add Richards, you lose somewhere else on the roster etc,

The other problem is people are trying to compare Stoll to guys like Carter, Malkin, Zetterberg etc, which is ridiculous as well, and they are saying he isn't a 2nd line C, because of that comparison.
Understood, and agree.

That being said, my only beef with Stoll, is his lack vision or being a playmaker. If we lose williams (our only other good playmaker besides kopitar), Stoll might struggle, especially during playoff time when its a very tight checking game. I hope he makes me eat crow.

Old
01-29-2011, 10:13 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Understood, and agree.

That being said, my only beef with Stoll, is his lack vision or being a playmaker. If we lose williams (our only other good playmaker besides kopitar), Stoll might struggle, especially during playoff time when its a very tight checking game. I hope he makes me eat crow.
Maybe, and I was all for upgrading Stoll during the off-season, but he has had an extremely solid season so far...

Old
01-29-2011, 11:06 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

No one is saying Stoll is an awful player (well maybe Kurri), the only part of his game where he is awful is on the PP, where he is one of the worst in the league as far as players on #1 PP's.

Stoll does many good things and he might be a middle of the road 2nd line center, but I just don't see any team winning a championship with Jarret Stoll as the 2nd line center, and certainly not a team like the Kings who are very weak on the wing.

Hopefully Schenn can establish himself as a 2nd line center as soon as next season and then Stoll can become one of the better 3rd line centers in the league, assuming the Kings don't re-sign Handzus. Let Stoll take key draws, kill penalties, matchup against other teams top lines. That is where he would be most valuable, not being counted on as a PP player or consistent Top 6 producer.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 11:45 AM
kingpest19

Quote:

Vancouver
Detroit
Pittsburgh
Philly

Noone is against it, most of us would like to have a 1a/1b situation but realize that for that to happen its going to cost us big time. Id much rather see DL go after a 1st line LW and fill that hole before anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
No one is saying Stoll is an awful player (well maybe Kurri), the only part of his game where he is awful is on the PP, where he is one of the worst in the league as far as players on #1 PP's.

Stoll does many good things and he might be a middle of the road 2nd line center, but I just don't see any team winning a championship with Jarret Stoll as the 2nd line center, and certainly not a team like the Kings who are very weak on the wing.

Hopefully Schenn can establish himself as a 2nd line center as soon as next season and then Stoll can become one of the better 3rd line centers in the league, assuming the Kings don't re-sign Handzus. Let Stoll take key draws, kill penalties, matchup against other teams top lines. That is where he would be most valuable, not being counted on as a PP player or consistent Top 6 producer.
The weakness on wing is a much bigger issue than Stoll being the #2.

Hoping that Schenn can do it to shove down a guy whos an established #2 makes no sense. Why push a guy down a line who can get the job done for someone who hasnt proven a thing?

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote