HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Hartnell's hit on Desharnais

Old
01-27-2011, 07:32 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Dirty or not the habs don't have the manpower to get any retribution or defend their players at all. Liberties are going to be taken reguardless and all the habs can do is hope the refs come in and save the day.
Proper retribution is to shame the offending player with a finger wag while mouthing "skill within the rules" or "speed with intelligence" or whatever the stupid GM credo of the day is.

Every winning Montreal team has had enough players that were both skilled and tough and could provide a deterrent on the ice and in the moment. This team will continue to dance into 7th and 8th place finishes and hope for goaltending miracles for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by Agnostic: 01-27-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 04:54 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
I am glad to see some of you guys taking off your homer glasses and saying this was a clean hit, props to you!

For those of you that dare suggest he was intending to injure somebody, you should be ashamed of yourselves, and ashamed to call yourself hockey fans.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 08:59 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
I am glad to see some of you guys taking off your homer glasses and saying this was a clean hit, props to you!

For those of you that dare suggest he was intending to injure somebody, you should be ashamed of yourselves, and ashamed to call yourself hockey fans.
LOL at a Flyers fan lecturing others on clean hits, intents to injure and what other fans should be ashamed of.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:54 AM
tinyzombies

I don't think it was illegal. Desharnais did a good job spinning away from the hit. More noise and flash than anything.

Would still be nice to have the kind of team where someone could have grabbed Hartnell and pounded him, just because. But we don't.

Hats off to the Flyers. They have the kind of team I've been dreaming of seeing in Montreal for a long, long time.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 01-28-2011 at 12:00 PM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 01:56 PM
Gary320

Quote:

This statement would be like an alcoholic conducting a AA meeting.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 02:06 PM
Gert B Frobe

here's what a proper elbow to the head looks like - and when executed properly - causes a head injury to one of the league's stars... any suspension for that one? yeah it's a couple seasons ago but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlGdGDVuVl8

hmmmmmm... no takers on this one yet? I'm not overly surprised.

Last edited by Gert B Frobe: 01-28-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 02:47 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
This statement would be like an alcoholic conducting a AA meeting.
I'm not an alcoholic and I've never attended an AA meeting but I would imagine that the meetings are conducted by alcoholics who are in AA to deal with their own problems. Do you have inside knowledge that the rest of us don't have?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:

The Flyers are not guilty of dirty hits. Of course they aren't and they never have been.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 04:09 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Nothing wrong with the hit, but happy to see pacioretty's response.

Hartnell has toned down his clownish behaviour, but some of his teammates like carcillo have taken it to another level, unfortunately.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 12:38 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Nothing wrong with the hit, but happy to see pacioretty's response.

Hartnell has toned down his clownish behaviour, but some of his teammates like carcillo have taken it to another level, unfortunately.
Sure, because the league has allowed them to compile three scoring lines and gave them Chris Pronger for free.

Of course you would goad the other team into physical play.

DUH.

They win the game and then go back to the lockeroom and laugh at it.

Meanwhile, we have a great penalty kill. But what do we gain from it? What penalties are we taking? Probably all holding and hooking and obstruction. All credit to JM, who is keeping us afloat despite all the injuries - something nobody ever gives him credit for.

The Flyers penalties throw the other team off their game. AND they have the skill to go for the throat in open ice as well as win almost every single puck on the boards because their smaller players play bigger because they have the best skill/tough-grit mix in the league.

What beat them last year was superior puck control and because Buff was able to occupy Pronger. And the Flyers were injured as well, if I remember correctly.

They made a huge mistake signing Danny Briere, but that's going to work out because of all the other right moves they made getting the right mix of skill-grit/tough and not just hoping for the moon by drafting only skill guys mid-round.

I guarantee you Plekanec would not be playing the same game he plays now if he was on the Flyers, just like when Higgins-Koivu-Ryder were our top line and forced to cycle in the corner against the best defenders in the league and then take the blame for not producing.

Like it or not, your modern Montreal Canadien should not be the modest, hard-working two-way player who is a complete company man. We need ego-maniacs who love the attention an entire city of 2 million women will give them and still go out there and score and shave Hartnell's beard. They won't last long, but these are the new rules... teams don't last long anyway! WIN... retool... WIN... retool... WIN...

That's what has to be done. And if we are beaten to any more Quebec stars in the second round, there should be clauses in the contracts of management where they pay for that. And if they find a Giroux-they get an extra bonus.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 01-29-2011 at 12:45 AM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 08:32 AM
Andy

I was hoping Hartnell took his head off so I wouldn't have to hear about the lack of size for the time that Desharnais would be out. Next would be Gionta and we would have convered removed 1 of the endless list of continuous complaints.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote