HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Avery Posed Naked

Old
01-28-2011, 10:42 PM
ruckus*

vCash: 500
Dumb, but the best part is that he's the only guy and the rest are hot chicks.

He pisses people off well and he also does well for himself.

And there's no way anyone can defend Avery to chosen. If Sean saved a girl's life who was about to be hit by a car he'd argue that anyone who was standing there would've done the same.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:01 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
He opened a bar instead of a clothing store. What a friend to fans? Nice that he Is doing charity work but opening a bar is opening a bar. It's not the work of a great man. Purely business. No matter how much it Excites you.
I think you're missing my point, and reading too into what you're interpreting(or just trying to be argumentative? Don't get what you're trying to accomplish by your words and tone)
I just think it helps add up to his coolness and reaching to community factor. Opening a business meant for the lounging public is opening a business meant for the lounging public.
If it is a good bar, then he is indeed a great man for opening it! (Haven't been there yet though, feedback anyone?)

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 12:20 AM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

that's hawt

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 12:36 AM
McIlrathsWrath

Quote:
He opened a bar instead of a clothing store. What a friend to fans? Nice that he Is doing charity work but opening a bar is opening a bar. It's not the work of a great man. Purely business. No matter how much it Excites you.
Sounds like you came to this thread looking for blood. LoL.

McIlrathsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 12:40 AM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

I find this very appropriate considering that when the majority of the other 29 teams fans are asked about Avery, their responds is usually, "Avery, what a dick."

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 05:23 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Dumb, but the best part is that he's the only guy and the rest are hot chicks.

He pisses people off well and he also does well for himself.

And there's no way anyone can defend Avery to chosen. If Sean saved a girl's life who was about to be hit by a car he'd argue that anyone who was standing there would've done the same.
The charity stuff is good. I merely pointed out that opening a bar isn't "for the fans" as had been posed.

Some fans of Avery, if he ran over a child with his car, would argue that the child was probably an Islanders fan.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 09:52 AM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
The charity stuff is good. I merely pointed out that opening a bar isn't "for the fans" as had been posed.

Some fans of Avery, if he ran over a child with his car, would argue that the child was probably an Islanders fan.
Obviously the main reason you go into any business venture is to make money. But, if this bar creates a meeting place where players frequent and fans can go and meet some of their favourite players, isn't that aspect of the business a good thing done for the fans.

Can't it be both?

Old
01-29-2011, 11:38 AM
McIlrathsWrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
Obviously the main reason you go into any business venture is to make money. But, if this bar creates a meeting place where players frequent and fans can go and meet some of their favourite players, isn't that aspect of the business a good thing done for the fans.

Can't it be both?
Yes it can, and it is.... That fella came off extremely rude with the "excite you" comment

McIlrathsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 12:08 PM
chosen

Quote:

Can't it be both?
No. Sadly, it can't. People invest in businesses to make money, not for the "good of the fans".

At some point, all fans should come to realize that they adore the players that wear the sweater of their team, but it is insanely rare that the player will ever choose the fans over the cash, nor should they.

When Messier left here for Vancouver, there was no love or loyalty towards the Rangers on his part. When professional athletes jump on an almost yearly basis from team to team it's 99% about the cash.

No doubt that Avery likes that he has some loyal fans here, but his bar is strictly a business investment. It's not "for the fans". Even a little bit. Doesn't make him bad. Makes him like everyone else. This idea of having to paste something noble onto his business is childish to me.

If Marc Staal, for example, reaches free agency, anyone expecting him to take a hometown discount doesn't get how the business works.

Everything in sports changed with Curt Flood, for better and worse.

Old
01-29-2011, 12:34 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
No. Sadly, it can't. People invest in businesses to make money, not for the "good of the fans".

At some point, all fans should come to realize that they adore the players that wear the sweater of their team, but it is insanely rare that the player will ever choose the fans over the cash, nor should they.

When Messier left here for Vancouver, there was no love or loyalty towards the Rangers on his part. When professional athletes jump on an almost yearly basis from team to team it's 99% about the cash.

No doubt that Avery likes that he has some loyal fans here, but his bar is strictly a business investment. It's not "for the fans". Even a little bit. Doesn't make him bad. Makes him like everyone else. This idea of having to paste something noble onto his business is childish to me.

If Marc Staal, for example, reaches free agency, anyone expecting him to take a hometown discount doesn't get how the business works.

Everything in sports changed with Curt Flood, for better and worse.
So he opened the bar without Rangers fans in mind??????????? Seems to me that to make money you need to provide something the customers want. What's good for your costumers is good for your business...

To say the bar was opened strictly for the fans is laughable..... but to say it was opened without fans in mind is equally as funny.

Old
01-29-2011, 03:32 PM
chosen

Quote:
So he opened the bar without Rangers fans in mind??????????? Seems to me that to make money you need to provide something the customers want. What's good for your costumers is good for your business...

To say the bar was opened strictly for the fans is laughable..... but to say it was opened without fans in mind is equally as funny.
I think you just argued my point. He may feel that fans can only help him do business but this in no way helps out his fans, unless giving him money is somehow beneficial to fans, in a way I don't understand.

Old
01-29-2011, 03:37 PM
mike14

So we all agree that Drury is all about the fans because he owns a pizza place?

Figured that this might be as good a place as any to ask: when Ranger fans talk about 'working class' fans and 'blue-collar' seats, what are the referring too? Is it still the case in the US (and NY in particular) where those working in manual labor/construction industries work longer hours for less money than people in offices?

mike14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 03:51 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Why isn't this on the main board? I think we should share Avery with all of hfboards.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 06:27 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
I think you just argued my point. He may feel that fans can only help him do business but this in no way helps out his fans, unless giving him money is somehow beneficial to fans, in a way I don't understand.
I don't live in NYC and have never really gone out of my way to meet NHL players, but for those that live there (NYC) and have meet their favourite players at his bar, they would probably disagree with you.

Old
01-30-2011, 12:02 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
???
So your trying so hard to tell us something that is obvious. That nobody is arguing.
We know he didn't open the bar DEDICATED to the fans. We know.
As Blue said, intent to make money, to make money need attract customers. What kind of people are most likely going to be customers?
It is beneficial to the fans because it gives them something to do, somewhere to go.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 04:19 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
???
So your trying so hard to tell us something that is obvious. That nobody is arguing.
We know he didn't open the bar DEDICATED to the fans. We know.
As Blue said, intent to make money, to make money need attract customers. What kind of people are most likely going to be customers?
It is beneficial to the fans because it gives them something to do, somewhere to go.
If he opened the bar with the business thought that he needs Rangers fans as his most likely patrons than he shouldn't have bothered opening the bar. It's a very poor way to make a decision, unless there is a near constant flow of Rangers players for fans to look at. I sincerely doubt that that is what the bar will become, but if I'm wrong, it might be a good business model.

Maybe part of the mystery to me is why going to a bar in the hope of seeing a player is such an attractive thing, unless you are a woman looking to latch on. For a guy, it seems like the best you can hope for is the chance to say hello to a hockey player, or look at one, while you drink. They aren't going to befriend any fans who come in.

I guess we'll see how the bar does.

Old
01-30-2011, 11:33 AM
DoTheBlue
Great Expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
So we all agree that Drury is all about the fans because he owns a pizza place?
Drury owns a pizza place? He doesn't have intangibles as one of the toppings does he?

DoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 12:17 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
If he opened the bar with the business thought that he needs Rangers fans as his most likely patrons than he shouldn't have bothered opening the bar. It's a very poor way to make a decision, unless there is a near constant flow of Rangers players for fans to look at. I sincerely doubt that that is what the bar will become, but if I'm wrong, it might be a good business model.

Maybe part of the mystery to me is why going to a bar in the hope of seeing a player is such an attractive thing, unless you are a woman looking to latch on. For a guy, it seems like the best you can hope for is the chance to say hello to a hockey player, or look at one, while you drink. They aren't going to befriend any fans who come in.

I guess we'll see how the bar does.
We are in the same boat here, doesn't work for me either. However, my neighbour who is a huge hockey fan will go to games and hang around the exits after to get autographs and photos with players. To each his own I guess.