HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

All-Encompassing All-Star Weekend Thread

Old
01-29-2011, 10:27 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil_fan85 View Post
That was just the names being written down in the order they were chosen I believe.
ok, I gotta ask.

what the heck is he holding in your avatar? A shotput?

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 11:10 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

vCash: 500
I think the draft will result in a more competitive game. I thought the show last night was very entertaining and James Duthie was a terrific host. Versus needs to steal him away from TSN.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 11:39 AM
Sayuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
ok, I gotta ask.

what the heck is he holding in your avatar? A shotput?

In the rookie competition tournament before the year started the Oiler rooks went to a bootcamp thing. I want to say its one of those camouflage hats used in the army.

Sayuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 12:23 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
I think the draft will result in a more competitive game. I thought the show last night was very entertaining and James Duthie was a terrific host. Versus needs to steal him away from TSN.
Are you referring to the balance of the teams? If so, I have to disagree. Seems to me that team Lidstrom is built to win, while Staal was more interested in picking teammates and his brother.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 01:50 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
I thought the NHL wanted a representative of all 30 teams?
They all have at least one representative there but some teams only have a rookie participant in the skills competition.

01-29-2011, 02:42 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

So kopi is in the breakaway challenge and the hardest shot challenge. Lol, hardest shot? I don't know about that.

Last edited by Cruel11: 01-29-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 02:52 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Really? I couldn't even make it to the end. It was the dullest thing I have ever seen for hockey and I have attended the NHL Draft live before they made an event out of it.

It also seemed completely predetermined. You knew the NHL told them that the Sedins had to be split. I'm kinda surprised the NHL didn't force them to split Carolina's players. The NHL I figured would have preferred to have the fans cheer for both teams.

This will likely make the game more competitive. But next year, I'm not sure televising the draft is a good idea. Then again I blame TSN for the dullness of the event. It should've been a little more similar to the NHL Awards Show. Since largely it is impossible to do any legitimate prognostication like Bob McKenzie does at the NHL Entry Draft, have a band or something come on and play between picks.

The other thing they could do is make it completely random and don't announce any of the players who will be in the All-Star Game. If Staal or Lidstrom wanted to pick PK Subban to be on their team so be it. Have all the players attend the draft and the only ones who know who will be picked would be the captains. Since it is a meaningless game, might be interesting if they had some grinders and tougher players playing. Also, make it more like pond hockey and not force the teams to take x number of forwards and x number of defensemen. If Staal wanted an entire team of forwards so be it, just some of them would have to play defense.

My other change would be to change the Skills Competition back to the way it was during the early 90s. All 21 teams had team skills competitions and the winners would qualify for the ASG Skills Competition. This is why many years you had Al Iafrate (sp?) in the Hardest Shot Competition but he was nowhere near an All-Star. Generally, aside from the Hardest Shot Competition, the winners would already be All-Stars, but it was always fun seeing some of the goons at an All-Star game.

What would also be interesting is if the Friday night of All-Star weekend, they would take a page from MLB and hold a Future Stars competition. It would take a lot of orchestrating and tough decisions, but it would be interesting to see the best prospects all play together. Bring in the CHL players and the AHL players, heck bring the Euros if they would come over (which I doubt). But a mix of the best Juniors and Minor Leaguers would be an interesting format.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 03:06 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Are you referring to the balance of the teams? If so, I have to disagree. Seems to me that team Lidstrom is built to win, while Staal was more interested in picking teammates and his brother.
I think Lindstrom built his team to win in the playoffs not in an All-Star game. Gigantic physical players don't really matter when no ones going to be checking.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 03:13 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
He doesn't have a chance in the hardest shot But it will be interesting at least to get a clock on his shot, which even might suggest he needs to shoot the puck more

He stands a much better chance in the breakaway challenge. I think he is the best Lidstrom has in that competition and better than everyone except for maybe Ovechkin from team Staal. It will all depend on his creativity. The Forsberg move is nice, and if he can execute it, could win him some nasty points, but he will need more than that, and we haven't seen much else from him in the shootout. He will need a hat with Slovenian flags and some sunglasses to pull this off.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 03:14 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
He doesn't have a chance in the hardest shot But it will be interesting at least to get a clock on his shot, which even might suggest he needs to shoot the puck more

He stands a much better chance in the breakaway challenge. I think he is the best Lidstrom has in that competition and better than everyone except for maybe Ovechkin from team Staal. It will all depend on his creativity. The Forsberg move is nice, and if he can execute it, could win him some nasty points, but he will need more than that, and we haven't seen much else from him in the shootout. He will need a hat with Slovenian flags and some sunglasses to pull this off.
According to Canucks fans, Henrik sucks at the breakaway. This will be interesting

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 03:16 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Just when you think you follow hockey, you ask yourself "who the **** is Evgeny Dadonov"? Never heard of him..

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 03:20 PM
Alternate Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Just when you think you follow hockey, you ask yourself "who the **** is Evgeny Dadonov"? Never heard of him..
hahhahh...right?

Alternate Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 03:53 PM
no name

By the way, Patick Kane is a little *******. Good job pissing off your captain so much that Toews publicly takes shots at Patrick's character. What kind of twerp constantly makes fun of your teammate on camera. Answer: Patrick kane.

Why don't you go punch a taxi cab driver, squirt.

Last edited by William H Bonney: 01-29-2011 at 04:11 PM. Reason: filter
no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 04:10 PM
no name

BTW, JR is so annoying. His face lift, his whimpering, his comparing himself to everyone. I want to beat his nose inside out.

Edit: Now he asks Byufglyn to give him some rap lines assuming he likes rap because he's black. His response... "come on man, I'm a country boy".

Last edited by no name: 01-29-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old
01-29-2011, 04:36 PM
kingchuckb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Yea- I had to look him up as well. Plays for Florida(which explains a lot.. lol)

I thought the draft was pretty cool, hopefully they do this again, maybe a tad faster.

Kopitar in the hardest shot competition... and is he against Chara lol???? Kopitar must be hiding some secret beast mode of a shot if he plans to win this. He has a pretty good chance to win the breakaway if we see the same offensive creativity he has.

A little off topic but- why is our guardians backstory so lame? He is essentially a celebrity.... wth???? Sounds like our superhero is gonna be kinda crappy... Its further proof the NHL hates the Kings(jk)

kingchuckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 04:45 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
By the way, Patick Kane is a little *******. Good job pissing off your captain so much that Toews publicly takes shots at Patrick's character. What kind of twerp constantly makes fun of your teammate on camera. Answer: Patrick kane.

Why don't you go punch a taxi cab driver, squirt.
Wait, what happened?

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 04:57 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Wait, what happened?
Kane took jabs at Toews the entire time during the selection process and continualy blasted him (jokingly) afterwards while Kane had his 30 minute stint as commentator. Toews was interviewed about the comments and was obviously pissed saying that he heard Kane had been disrespecting him but that's true to form with his character. Toews said that the fact is that Kane couldn't do it without him but Patrick doesn't believe it. After the interview, Kane (while being the commentator) seemed embrarrased and in a defense mechanism piled on further by calling him "Captain Serious never seems to handle heckling".

Old
01-29-2011, 05:32 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Kane took jabs at Toews the entire time during the selection process and continualy blasted him (jokingly) afterwards while Kane had his 30 minute stint as commentator. Toews was interviewed about the comments and was obviously pissed saying that he heard Kane had been disrespecting him but that's true to form with his character. Toews said that the fact is that Kane couldn't do it without him but Patrick doesn't believe it. After the interview, Kane (while being the commentator) seemed embrarrased and in a defense mechanism piled on further by calling him "Captain Serious never seems to handle heckling".
Kane is on the block, E5

Toews DID look genuinely pissed, though.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 05:57 PM
William H Bonney

I can't believe Fowler is in the hardest shot competition. Fowler is amazing but his shot isn't good at all and he even admits that. What are they thinking?

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 06:01 PM
TwzKing

Send a message via AIM to TwzKing
Lets go kopi *clap clap clap*

TwzKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 06:01 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
Kane is on the block, E5

Toews DID look genuinely pissed, though.
It's much ado about nothing.

Old
01-29-2011, 06:15 PM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

I wish St Louis did a spinorama on his entry

drugold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 06:20 PM
Alternate Jersey

ok, the fog thing is totally awesome.

Alternate Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 06:24 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternate Jersey View Post
Yeah. The introductions were really well done.

Old
01-29-2011, 06:25 PM
TwzKing

Send a message via AIM to TwzKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternate Jersey View Post
I want one leading into my room ... and very impressed with everything so far

TwzKing is offline   Reply With Quote