HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has it really been THAT long since the Rangers won the Cup?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-29-2011, 10:31 AM
  #1
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!
 
EventHorizon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Budd Lake, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,897
vCash: 500
Has it really been THAT long since the Rangers won the Cup?



Now I was a bit more tech savvy than the average person in 1994 (read: computer geek) but man has technology come a long way in a relatively short period of time. 16-17 years is not that long in the grand scheme of things, but this is like the dark ages. "What do you write to it like mail?" Wow. And why is Bryant Gumbel so...orange?

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 10:44 AM
  #2
Nemchinov13
Registered User
 
Nemchinov13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Gravesend
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post


Now I was a bit more tech savvy than the average person in 1994 (read: computer geek) but man has technology come a long way in a relatively short period of time. 16-17 years is not that long in the grand scheme of things, but this is like the dark ages. "What do you write to it like mail?" Wow. And why is Bryant Gumbel so...orange?
It's a BRONZER! (miller light commercials)

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 10:56 AM
  #3
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank
 
KingWantsCup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 50
"What is internet?!?!"

Seriously though...

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 11:05 AM
  #4
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent
 
Swept In Seven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country:
Posts: 9,223
vCash: 116
hahahaha

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 11:25 AM
  #5
SirKillalot
Registered User
 
SirKillalot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 4,757
vCash: 390
I feel this will fit here:


SirKillalot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 11:25 AM
  #6
Richard Brads
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 278
vCash: 500
wow that's really something.

Richard Brads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 11:53 AM
  #7
FultonReed
ew, you did what?
 
FultonReed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,398
vCash: 500
for me, yeah, because most of my life has gone by since 1994. but that video is surreal.

FultonReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 12:20 PM
  #8
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,915
vCash: 500
i was 14.

im 30 now

FML

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 12:29 PM
  #9
Blueshirt Special
Registered User
 
Blueshirt Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,094
vCash: 500
Truly mind boggling the way the evolution of technology has and continues, to accelerate.

It is NOT slowing down.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 12:34 PM
  #10
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,619
vCash: 500
Ah, yes, 1994, when I used to play Oregon Trail, PAWS, and Logo Writer on floppy disk (do those even exist anymore?) at school. It really is remarkable when you think about how much technology has evolved. Hard to imagine those green screen monochrome monitors even existed.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 12:47 PM
  #11
bobbop
Henrik's Pop
 
bobbop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Suburban Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 4,822
vCash: 500
Amazing video. I considered myself an early adaptor (I was online in 1990) but I'm still stunned to look back at history. A great reminder of how things change. My parents used to tell me about the first time they saw TV at the 1939 New York World's Fair. Change is the only constant in our world.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 12:49 PM
  #12
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent
 
Swept In Seven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country:
Posts: 9,223
vCash: 116
What are internets? I was only 2 when this video was made holy **** it just hit me that I am an adult now haha

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 01:18 PM
  #13
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Ah, yes, 1994, when I used to play Oregon Trail, PAWS, and Logo Writer on floppy disk (do those even exist anymore?) at school. It really is remarkable when you think about how much technology has evolved. Hard to imagine those green screen monochrome monitors even existed.
Holy Jesus I loved the Oregon Trail. I always drowned my wagon near the end, though.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 01:30 PM
  #14
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!
 
EventHorizon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Budd Lake, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Holy Jesus I loved the Oregon Trail. I always drowned my wagon near the end, though.
Did anybody make it to the end of that game?

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 01:52 PM
  #15
JimmyStart*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,569
vCash: 500
CD's microchips and plastics. Touch of silicon. And voila floppy disks to internet, i-phones, and even flying cars (seriously the first one was made last year)

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 02:04 PM
  #16
Synergy27
Registered User
 
Synergy27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
CD's microchips and plastics. Touch of silicon. And voila floppy disks to internet, i-phones, and even flying cars (seriously the first one was made last year)
Not to nitpick, but the flying car actually has a pretty long history. There were several developed and marketed shortly after regular airplanes became commonplace. There were also a couple of companies formed in the 60s and 70s that marketed do-it-yourself flying car kits that were meant for average Joes to build in their garage. If you're ever down in the DC area, go check out the Udvar Hazy Center. Pretty cool stuff.

Awesome video by the way. Thanks for sharing.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 02:06 PM
  #17
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Amazing video. I considered myself an early adaptor (I was online in 1990) but I'm still stunned to look back at history. A great reminder of how things change. My parents used to tell me about the first time they saw TV at the 1939 New York World's Fair. Change is the only constant in our world.
And you never notice that change until its already happened and has become old hat

The internet is a great invention, but Its a bit sad that some of you never got to experience a life without it.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 02:07 PM
  #18
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post


Now I was a bit more tech savvy than the average person in 1994 (read: computer geek) but man has technology come a long way in a relatively short period of time. 16-17 years is not that long in the grand scheme of things, but this is like the dark ages. "What do you write to it like mail?" Wow. And why is Bryant Gumbel so...orange?
What would you expect from 3 morons like these. If it's not on the teleprompter they don't know it.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 02:34 PM
  #19
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
Did anybody make it to the end of that game?
Lol.

Its a mystery.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 03:16 PM
  #20
Blueshirt Special
Registered User
 
Blueshirt Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
And you never notice that change until its already happened and has become old hat

The internet is a great invention, but Its a bit sad that some of you never got to experience a life without it.
Can't remember the exact words, but in Bill Gates' book from that era (The Road Ahead, which came with a CD!), he said something along the lines of "new technology is initially overhyped, and then dismissed as not living up to expectations after a short time; only to be rediscovered and viewed as radical in hindsight after a longer period."

Internet has changed everything, every bit as much as television and the printed word. The world is being turned on it's ear because of the virtually unlimited access to vast knowledge. Interesting that it is the Chinese who are credited with the saying "may you live in interesting times"

Our world could be radically different (again) in another 5 years, which is the blink of an eye, even for man.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 03:47 PM
  #21
Synergy27
Registered User
 
Synergy27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
Can't remember the exact words, but in Bill Gates' book from that era (The Road Ahead, which came with a CD!), he said something along the lines of "new technology is initially overhyped, and then dismissed as not living up to expectations after a short time; only to be rediscovered and viewed as radical in hindsight after a longer period."

Internet has changed everything, every bit as much as television and the printed word. The world is being turned on it's ear because of the virtually unlimited access to vast knowledge. Interesting that it is the Chinese who are credited with the saying "may you live in interesting times"

Our world could be radically different (again) in another 5 years, which is the blink of an eye, even for man.
Look at what's going on with all of these protests in the Middle East right now. The internet, particularly Facebook and Twitter, played a huge role in making all of this possible. We really are living in a very interesting time. If I make it to old age, I assume the world is going to be a radically different place than it is today.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 04:58 PM
  #22
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,818
vCash: 500
Its truly incredible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore%27s_law

Also, its not stopping. At least not for a while.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 11:42 PM
  #23
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain
 
Ryan McDonut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,626
vCash: 500
its crazy how rapidly technology advances. its interesting looking back and seeing how things that are so commonplace now were first created. i recently watched the social network (about how facebook started) and was fascinated at how when facebook first started spreading people were like "facebook? what is facebook?"

Ryan McDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 11:45 PM
  #24
Groot
I am Groot.
 
Groot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ridge, New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,336
vCash: 500
I was 0 when this was made. Lol

Groot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 12:36 AM
  #25
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Its truly incredible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore%27s_law

Also, its not stopping. At least not for a while.
my brother is a computer processor engineer and said that current CPUs are reaching their limit. their increases in speed are moving exactly at Moore's Law paces anymore. When they get nano-machines down though, I'm sure we will see a quantum leap in computing power.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.