HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

CBC's Player Survey

Old
01-29-2011, 09:05 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
CBC's Player Survey

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/allstar/poll/

Surprisingly, there is a complete indifference towards the Flyers. Most players don't hate Philadelphia, but they're not banging down the door to be here. Apparently, we're the 5th most overrated team in the league. Do the Penguins and Capitals make up roughly 4% of the vote?

The only other thing where we're mentioned is that 1 out of 5 players think Pronger is the toughest defenseman, good enough for third.

Some interesting stuff in here, but most of the player talk is basically more of a Crosby/Datsyuk lovefest.

Also, people want fighting to stay, but also the instigator rule. I'll be less shocked than most considering how many creeps there are in the league that wouldn't make it off the ice alive way back when.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 09:26 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I didn't expect Gaborik to be the best or fastest skater. Obviously up there, but best surprised me. Supposedly he can squat 600 pounds, which is pretty insane.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 09:36 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
NY Islanders being the team you'd least like to play on. Kind of sad.

Surprised didn't see more Flyer stuff on there.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 09:42 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Chara...the toughest D-man

then I'm reminded of that time during the playoffs when Pronger touched him and he fell like a sack of potatoes

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 09:48 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I didn't expect Gaborik to be the best or fastest skater. Obviously up there, but best surprised me. Supposedly he can squat 600 pounds, which is pretty insane.
With him weighing 199 lbs (according to his yahoo account) 600 is borderline uncanny. I trained with a guy who had a world record for squatting 600ish at 160 lbs, for comparison purposes. At 220 I can only put up about 550 (on a very good day - 1 rep max) and I am much more muscular in appearance than Gaborik (who actually looks pretty small, imo). At any rate, I am very impressed by that number if its true.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 09:55 PM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
With him weighing 199 lbs (according to his yahoo account) 600 is borderline uncanny. I trained with a guy who had a world record for squatting 600ish at 160 lbs, for comparison purposes. At 220 I can only put up about 550 (on a very good day - 1 rep max) and I am much more muscular in appearance than Gaborik (who actually looks pretty small, imo). At any rate, I am very impressed by that number if its true.
hockey players have crazy leg strength

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 09:58 PM
Carlton Orr*

Not surprised Ron Wilson is deemed a coach no one wants to play for.

Carlton Orr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 10:46 PM
Phileeguy
Mira, que linda.

They could've chosen a better picture for "referee" when it turned out that the answer to "Who is the best ref?" was None.

Phileeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 11:15 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
550 is pretty nuts, well done. I can only get 360 once . Granted I try to get pretty low, but I don't think I could even hit 550 for a shallow squat.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was able to get 600 for a half-rep (what some people consider a full rep). In my (somewhat limited) experience, you can get your legs really strong in the compound lifts with out them ever getting huge. more so than upper body at least. So I wouldn't be surprised if it was true.

Old
01-29-2011, 11:52 PM
chaosof99*

That poll is missing the most important question there is: What team do you dislike playing against the most?

I do wonder thought how Lidstrom got 2nd place, if with only 6% of the votes, as the player to start a new franchise with. The guy is turning 41 this season!

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 12:49 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Chara...the toughest D-man

then I'm reminded of that time during the playoffs when Pronger touched him and he fell like a sack of potatoes
IIRC it was Briere and not Pronger.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 12:51 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
IIRC it was Briere and not Pronger.
The play I'm thinking of he got pitch-forked to his junk from behind.

I don't care how big or strong you are... when you get an underneath and from behind cup check, you're going down.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 12:59 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The play I'm thinking of he got pitch-forked to his junk from behind.

I don't care how big or strong you are... when you get an underneath and from behind cup check, you're going down.
The play I'm thinking of is when Briere gave a weak push and got called for boarding I believe.

Old
01-30-2011, 01:02 AM
Jester

Quote:
The play I'm thinking of is when Briere gave a weak push and got called for boarding I believe.
Don't recall that one... I do remember Pronger (on the PP) taking a penalty in front of the net on Chara and a lot of people complained... but what Pronger did on that one was kind of sneaky evil.

Old
01-30-2011, 01:43 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
I remember that. Except somehow I remember it being away from the boards and a cross checking penalty. I also remember seeing Danny body-up Hal Gill in the 08 conference finals too. Perhaps he's just too low for those big guys.

Old
01-30-2011, 09:02 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
They could've chosen a better picture for "referee" when it turned out that the answer to "Who is the best ref?" was None.
They obviously didn't want to piss anyone off. Although Sutherland and McCreary I would agree are the two best.

Old
01-30-2011, 09:43 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
The reason Crosby voted the toughest to play against is because you can't look at him without having a penalty called on you. My pick would have been Datsyuk for that one. Dude is a beast on defense AND offense.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 10:09 AM
vera1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/allstar/poll/
Surprisingly, there is a complete indifference towards the Flyers.
Surprisingly? For years, during the Clarke's reign, Flyers successfully (and deservedly) built themselves a reputation of being the most boring teams in the NHL. Most players want to win by playing hockey, not by beating crap out of the opponent.

Apparently a year or so of good hockey under Holmgren/Laviolette is not enough to break this reputation. Have to wait a little more than that.

vera1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 10:26 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
I remember that. Except somehow I remember it being away from the boards and a cross checking penalty. I also remember seeing Danny body-up Hal Gill in the 08 conference finals too. Perhaps he's just too low for those big guys.
Yea maybe it was a cross check. All I really remember was a battle for the puck, Briere gives Chara a shove, and Chara falls like a sack of bricks.

Either way "toughest" is not what we are thinking. Crosby got "toughest" player. Players probably understood hardest to play against.

Old
01-30-2011, 12:34 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
550 is pretty nuts, well done. I can only get 360 once . Granted I try to get pretty low, but I don't think I could even hit 550 for a shallow squat.
You look pretty tall which makes squats harder for you. I am 5'11 and my upper body is longer than my lower so I have a pretty distinct advantage in squats, but I also work legs alot more than most people who are all about the glamor muscles (not saying you are, just saying in general).

Also, it is better to go by percentage of body weight rather than pure numbers. For instance, my 350 bench 1-rep max may seem impressive, but being 220 it is actually only 1.6x my body weight - not that impressive. That is also why Gaborik squatting 600 is so absurd... that is 3x his body weight.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 12:59 PM
Jester

Gaborik should be spending a bit more time working on those groins.

Old
01-30-2011, 01:08 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by vera1964 View Post
Surprisingly? For years, during the Clarke's reign, Flyers successfully (and deservedly) built themselves a reputation of being the most boring teams in the NHL. Most players want to win by playing hockey, not by beating crap out of the opponent.

Apparently a year or so of good hockey under Holmgren/Laviolette is not enough to break this reputation. Have to wait a little more than that.
Players want to win, first and foremost. That's why you play.

This is a team that has never played the Trap, and had half of the rulebook written to despite the Flyers, so your theory is completely off kilter.

Old
01-30-2011, 01:10 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by vera1964 View Post

Ah, the Flyers had a reputation of being the most boring team in the NHL? Are you *ing serious?

Hi NJ Devils? Florida Panthers? Bueller?

Old
01-30-2011, 01:33 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Flyers are overrated?

Standings suggest otherwise.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 01:42 PM
vera1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Ah, the Flyers had a reputation of being the most boring team in the NHL? Are you *ing serious?
Clarke's Flyers? Of course I am serious.

Not only boring, but also pretty disgusting team, I should add.

vera1964 is offline   Reply With Quote