HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Ryan White (Sent Down)

Old
01-26-2011, 04:57 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post

Desharnais was told by management he's here for the season and to seek a place to live. It would be kind of rude to then assign him to the AHL for cap reasons.
Link?

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 05:06 PM
Forsead

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Link?
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/313819.html

Quote:
On dirait que cela fait parfaitement l'affaire de l'entraîneur Jacques Martin et du Tricolore, qui a demandé à Desharnais, en fin de semaine, de se dénicher un pied-à-terre à Montréal afin d'y passer la balance de la saison.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 08:13 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Human decency, I expect.

Montreal has never micromanaged the cap at the expense of player respect.

Desharnais was told by management he's here for the season and to seek a place to live. It would be kind of rude to then assign him to the AHL for cap reasons.
I would think the Habs wouldn't want to risk injury, since we are thin as it is and DD's got 3 pts in the last 4 games. Plus as having the cheapest contract on the team after Stan Darche and Penalty Kill Pyatt, they wouldn't save very much for a week vs the risk of him getting injured in Hamilton. Although as a huge Hamilton fan I'd gladly see him back for a few games.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 10:23 PM
Locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCanadienFan View Post
I've been watching Whitey since he joined the Dogs. Can't help but love the guy, he brings a lot of character to the game and team. I watched the game against Ottawa and, unless he had a huge turnaround last night, where he played just under 6 minutes, I have trouble understanding the love affair the Habs fans have with him. He is always a step and a half behind the play and I saw no difference against Ottawa. I read he had 6 hits, I missed 5 of them. We have two players for sure that bring better hockey skills to the table, Wyman and Engquist, who just got sent down. Wyman has way more speed, will go into the corners and grind the for puck and has way better stats than Whitey. As for him willing to drop the gloves, in Hamilton he loses more than he wins. Against Ottawa he gets into a fight with Lee, not a real heavy weight and when the Habs were up 6-1. Hey if it's just grittiness and fighting your looking for I can give you an argument for Henry. He can play the wing, he's just a fast as Whitey, has way more hockey sense and is a hell of a lot tougher.
Absolutely agree with you. I don't know about Wyman, but Engquist is a better player in pretty much every facet of the game, with the possible exception of grit, and even there I saw him using his big body very effectively. Despite playing mostly in a shutdown role, Engquist has more goals and points, and is solid +7 while White is a minus player. I really hope they bring Engquist back this season, particularly he is Martin's kind of player, great defensively but has skills to conribute on offense.

Locks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 11:11 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Desharnais could live underground in Hobbiton.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 11:27 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Desharnais could live underground in Hobbiton.
I heard he is making an offer to some place named Bag End, Gionta requested to have a chamber aswell. Got that from a reliable source.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 03:14 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I guess he showed too much physical play and toughness for JM's liking.

Hey, White is not THAT physical nor THAT tough. Plus, he is slow and prone to turnovers in his own end as well as making mistakes in defensive coverage.

People make fun of Tom Pyatt's sub-par offence ast the NHL level, but he is MILES ahead of Ryan White offensively. White has 8 points in 28 games in HAMILTON, never mind the NHL, while Pyatt was not far from PPG last year in Hamilton.

As I thought before he was brought up, Ryan White proved to be of VERY marginal NHL calibre.

In fact, I would like to see more of Enqvist than White right now. Enqvist is a good faceoff man and has much better defensive instincts and at least as much offensive skill if not more than White.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 09:01 PM
Aurel Joliat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Hey, White is not THAT physical nor THAT tough. Plus, he is slow and prone to turnovers in his own end as well as making mistakes in defensive coverage.

People make fun of Tom Pyatt's sub-par offence ast the NHL level, but he is MILES ahead of Ryan White offensively. White has 8 points in 28 games in HAMILTON, never mind the NHL, while Pyatt was not far from PPG last year in Hamilton.

As I thought before he was brought up, Ryan White proved to be of VERY marginal NHL calibre.

In fact, I would like to see more of Enqvist than White right now. Enqvist is a good faceoff man and has much better defensive instincts and at least as much offensive skill if not more than White.
1. Anybody is more offensive than Pyatt
2. White is not that slow and everybody enjoy the work of Mathieu Darche who is slower than White. It's not a question of speed here but heart, toughness and hard working

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 09:56 PM
Kriss E

No reason for White to benefit from a week off in the NHL. He could very well get called back up as soon as it starts again.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 09:58 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
2. White is not that slow and everybody enjoy the work of Mathieu Darche who is slower than White. It's not a question of speed here but heart, toughness and hard working
Quote for truth!

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 08:43 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
White is slow, I think Darche is quicker then White. Both are hard working players that will do whatever they can to help the team. Darche is much more offensive, White has the grit we lack.

Old
01-30-2011, 12:20 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
White is slow, I think Darche is quicker then White. Both are hard working players that will do whatever they can to help the team. Darche is much more offensive, White has the grit we lack.
I don't think the Habs are missing grit. Other than a few soft guys, the team is mostly made up of guys that will compete against anybody, big or small and win a lot of battles. What they lack is is enforcer type toughness to protect the sammer skill guys as well as more physical element from the depth players. I think people too often confuse physical game with grit. Grit is not just about hitting, it's about taking a hit to make a play, winning board battles and blocking shots. Grit is defined as a Gionta or Koivu, to me those two define the word "grit" in hockey terms.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 02:11 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't think the Habs are missing grit. Other than a few soft guys, the team is mostly made up of guys that will compete against anybody, big or small and win a lot of battles. What they lack is is enforcer type toughness to protect the sammer skill guys as well as more physical element from the depth players. I think people too often confuse physical game with grit. Grit is not just about hitting, it's about taking a hit to make a play, winning board battles and blocking shots. Grit is defined as a Gionta or Koivu, to me those two define the word "grit" in hockey terms.
I know what grit is and I think the Habs are lacking it, I agree that Gio and Koivu are guys that play with grit. Personally I don't think there is a need for an enforcer type, but more toughness would be great especially on the backend.

Old
01-31-2011, 04:07 PM
habspinner

As per MA Godin's Twitter:
MAGodin

Aucun plan de rappeler Ryan White du côté du Canadien. 13 minutes ago via ÜberTwitter

Translation: The Habs have no plans on recalling White

habspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 04:55 PM
Maxpac

And the Tom Pyatt loves fest continues...

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:31 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
and the martin disaster gets worse

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 06:49 PM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Pyatt is better than White.

Montreal Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 07:08 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Oh come on. White has virtually no effect on the team. Whats the impact of a rookie 4 liner on an NHL team? The difference between him and Pyatt is marginal at best, and I'm not particularily fond of Pyatt.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote