HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weal/Kitsyn

Old
01-29-2011, 03:35 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

vCash: 500
Weal/Kitsyn

For those who have seen either play or from what you have heard what do you think the chances that they will ever crack the lineup? Who do you think has the better shot?

I saw Kitsyn play at the WJC and was quite impressed. Weal has been putting up solid numbers without Eberle in Regina but the only problem is is that the Kings are stacked at center, both in the NHL and in prospects. I am assuming Schenn and Loktionov are ahead of Weal in the battle for center...

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 03:38 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Loktionov will likely be converted to wing. Same with Weal. Same as Moller was before them. The Kings opt for big bodies down the middle. If I had to pick who'd be more likely to make the team I'd say Kitsyn.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 05:09 PM
123slam

Lokti is gonna stay at center...isn't that what Lombardi said after he got sent down at the beginning of the year?

123slam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 05:38 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123slam View Post
Lokti is gonna stay at center...isn't that what Lombardi said after he got sent down at the beginning of the year?
I hope you're right.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 05:54 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

I think Kitsyn makes the NHL before Weal. Kitsyn likely would have been a much higher draft pick if he wasn't Russian.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 05:57 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Loktionov is a pure playmaker.
Everyone who puts him on wing on a regular base belongs into a padded room.
Moller on the other hand would succeed at 1st left wing position.
Why he isn't used for that is far beyond me.

For the case of Weal i would say he is future trade bait.
Kytsin will be a left winger for us sooner or later

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 06:12 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
I'm sorry but with Kopitar and Schenn looking to be our 2 Centers of the future, our best bet with Loktionov is as a LW. What LW's do we have in our system that will likely be top 2 line material? Maybe Kitsyn? Thats it. Kopi and Schenn will be our top 2 centers, Lokti isn't meant for a 3rd line checking role. We need him to move to the left side.

I see something like this next season...

Loktionov-Kopitar-Brown
Smyth-Schenn-Williams
Clifford-Stoll-Simmonds
Richardson-Lewis-Parse/Westgarth

It would be suicide to trade Stoll and have 2 rookie Centers as our #2 and #3

Only thing thats plausible is if we let Stoll walk after next season, we could have Kopitar as #1, Lokti as #2, and Schenn as #3 center, but that just seems like a waste to have Schenn as a #3. I'd rather resign Stoll as our Handzus replacement for a number of years.

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 08:28 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

What's wrong with Loktionov as a LW? Look at Zetterberg, a C converted to LW. There are other playmaking wingers that are successful, such as Hemsky, Eriksson... Giroux is also a C that's been converted to wing. I think he'll make a quick transition to the position.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 08:50 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
What's wrong with Loktionov as a LW? Look at Zetterberg, a C converted to LW. There are other playmaking wingers that are successful, such as Hemsky, Eriksson... Giroux is also a C that's been converted to wing. I think he'll make a quick transition to the position.
Exactly.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 09:12 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Nothing wrong with Lokti at LW, I just have this fantasy that he's going to be the next Datsyuk... at Center.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 09:22 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Well nothign really wrong.
He is just a superb playmaker and converting him to wing is a waste of his skills in my eyes.

If i think about a winger i have a Nash type in my mind.

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 11:16 PM
Mike The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I think Kitsyn makes the NHL before Weal. Kitsyn likely would have been a much higher draft pick if he wasn't Russian.
Or if he wasn't injured for the whole season leading into the draft. Before that year he was projected to be the next Malkin but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Mike The Franchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 12:03 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Kozun makes it before either of them...

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 12:17 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
I'm sorry but with Kopitar and Schenn looking to be our 2 Centers of the future, our best bet with Loktionov is as a LW. What LW's do we have in our system that will likely be top 2 line material? Maybe Kitsyn? Thats it. Kopi and Schenn will be our top 2 centers, Lokti isn't meant for a 3rd line checking role. We need him to move to the left side.

Loktionov-Kopitar-Brown
Smyth-Schenn-Williams
Clifford-Stoll-Simmonds

Only thing thats plausible is if we let Stoll walk after next season, we could have Kopitar as #1, Lokti as #2, and Schenn as #3 center, but that just seems like a waste to have Schenn as a #3. I'd rather resign Stoll as our Handzus replacement for a number of years.
This. I agree 100%. If we can convert loktionov's skills to the wing, he's a top 2 line winger in the mold of a guy like Hemsky I think. Kopitar-Schenn-Stoll centre depth looks great to me.

Old
01-30-2011, 12:47 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalchuk89 View Post
Or if he wasn't injured for the whole season leading into the draft. Before that year he was projected to be the next Malkin but lets not get ahead of ourselves.
I think the next Malkin is a big stretch, even at the time (which i don't remember ever being said, but that's besides the point. Unless you are a top end guy, usually Russian players fall way down the list due to risks of them coming over/staying. Kitsyn should have been a 2nd rounder likely.

Old
01-30-2011, 03:33 AM
Mike The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I think the next Malkin is a big stretch, even at the time (which i don't remember ever being said, but that's besides the point. Unless you are a top end guy, usually Russian players fall way down the list due to risks of them coming over/staying. Kitsyn should have been a 2nd rounder likely.
Completely agree with the whole Russian thing. I was just trying to give reason as to why he was drafted in the 7th round.

Old
01-30-2011, 01:41 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalchuk89 View Post
Completely agree with the whole Russian thing. I was just trying to give reason as to why he was drafted in the 7th round.
6th round, 158th overall. What a steal this looks like. I know it's early and he's only 19, but he had a great WJC and has played well wherever he has gone. He's already 6'4, almost 200lbs I believe. I think what I like most about him is that he doesn't shy away from contact and actually uses his big body, unlike Frolov. I hope he becomes what we always hoped Fro would be.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 03:39 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

The Kings are probably going to start with Loktionov at wing for the same reason the Predators have played Colin Wilson there: to let him focus on offense and take some of the defensive burden off him. Once he gets stronger, he could probably move back to center and be a quality player there.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 07:05 PM
Mike The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
6th round, 158th overall. What a steal this looks like. I know it's early and he's only 19, but he had a great WJC and has played well wherever he has gone. He's already 6'4, almost 200lbs I believe. I think what I like most about him is that he doesn't shy away from contact and actually uses his big body, unlike Frolov. I hope he becomes what we always hoped Fro would be.
Oops my bad thanks for the correction.

Old
01-30-2011, 07:40 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
The world of Russian and Eastern European prospects is shady. There's been rumors that sometimes ages are "misreported." Kitsyn doesn't look 19 to me.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 09:51 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
The world of Russian and Eastern European prospects is shady. There's been rumors that sometimes ages are "misreported." Kitsyn doesn't look 19 to me.
I doubt it. It's Russia, not a third world country. In fact there hasn't been any cases where age has been disguised or fake identities given from my quick search. Many, many russians look older than they actualy are. I assume it has something to do with the way they were raised.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 10:26 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
I doubt it. It's Russia, not a third world country. In fact there hasn't been any cases where age has been disguised or fake identities given from my quick search. Many, many russians look older than they actualy are. I assume it has something to do with the way they were raised.
It's all that vodka at a young age.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:48 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
If he passed the screening of the NHL draft and the WJC committee, then I'm down with him being 19, regardless of his looks.

Old
02-02-2011, 03:53 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post

Loktionov-Kopitar-Brown
Smyth-Schenn-Williams
Clifford-Stoll-Simmonds

Where is Moller?

wings5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 03:56 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Where is Moller?
In the minors or traded.

I'm skeptical that he'll ever be a top 6 NHL player.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote