HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

CBC's Player Survey

Old
01-30-2011, 01:43 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vera1964 View Post
Clarke's Flyers? Of course I am serious.

Not only boring, but also pretty disgusting team, I should add.
"Disgusting"?

NJ Devils have been castigated as the most boring in hockey for 20 years, and you're talking about the Flyers being boring. You are completely and utterly out of touch with reality. I should also note that the Devils "boring" tag was largely undeserved, but people hated to watch the passive defensive system.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 01:53 PM
vera1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
"Disgusting"?

NJ Devils have been castigated as the most boring in hockey for 20 years, and you're talking about the Flyers being boring. You are completely and utterly out of touch with reality. I should also note that the Devils "boring" tag was largely undeserved, but people hated to watch the passive defensive system.
Why should you or I care about Devils?

Just face it -- nobody wants to play for you. Except maybe Zherdev.

vera1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 01:54 PM
Jester

Quote:

Yes, the Flyers have really struggled to get players to come to Philly...

Old
01-30-2011, 01:55 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
"Disgusting"?

Hammer. Meet Nail.

It's also hard to suggest the Flyers are a "boring" team when they're top 5 in ratings and ticket sales. If it was boring, people wouldn't come.

I was always under the impression that's why there are a lot of Flyers fans in Canada...their style of play drew in fans, even outside of Philly.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 01:58 PM
Flyers93

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Hammer. Meet Nail.

It's also hard to suggest the Flyers are a "boring" team when they're top 5 in ratings and ticket sales. If it was boring, people wouldn't come.

I was always under the impression that's why there are a lot of Flyers fans in Canada...their style of play drew in fans, even outside of Philly.
100% correct. Especially Western Canada, the Flyers got a lot of fans out here during the Bullies days because of their style of play and there were no Western Canadian NHL teams yet. Also, there are/have been lots of Flyers from Western Canada going back to the glory days especially.

I was in Philly at the beginning of December and after a Flyers game vs the Bruins, we ran into another group of Flyers fans at our hotel who were from Alberta. Small world.

Flyers93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 01:58 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Hammer. Meet Nail.

Yeah... Flyers have always been one of the most popular (and hated) teams in the league for their style of play. Vera is pure sour grapes here.

Old
01-30-2011, 02:03 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Yeah... Flyers have always been one of the most popular (and hated) teams in the league for their style of play. Vera is pure sour grapes here.
Well, Vera can just go back to hiding under his bridge again.

Old
01-30-2011, 02:06 PM
vera1964

Quote:
Yes, the Flyers have really struggled to get players to come to Philly...
This thread was about the poll. Flyers are not exactly the most popular team among the players. That's what the poll says.

Now, I don't know how many tickets had been sold, and how exciting people in Philadelphia (and Canada) find the style that mixes some defensive hockey with the street fight, and I don't care. You can continue build your ego by comparing yourselves against Florida Panthers and NJ Devils.

I am out of this discussion.

vera1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 02:08 PM
Jester

Quote:
This thread was about the poll. Flyers are not exactly the most popular team among the players. That's what the poll says.

Now, I don't know how many tickets had been sold, and how exciting people in Philadelphia (and Canada) find the style that mixes some defensive hockey with the street fight, and I don't care. You can continue build your ego by comparing yourselves against Florida Panthers and NJ Devils.

Who is comparing. You're claiming the that Flyers are "boring," and that's at odds with reality over the last 20 years. Flyers might have won a Stanley Cup if they played more boring hockey in that window.

Old
01-30-2011, 02:11 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:

Now please don't comeback.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 02:12 PM
Flyers93

Maybe it's just me but I think we have an especially exciting team to watch this year. Fast pace, strong breakout team, lots of strong skaters, scoring goals, but still playing hard, physical board work and dropping the gloves. That's like the best kind of hockey team to watch for me personally.

Flyers93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 02:13 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers93 View Post
Maybe it's just me but I think we have an especially exciting team to watch this year. Fast pace, strong breakout team, lots of strong skaters, scoring goals, but still playing hard, physical board work and dropping the gloves. That's like the best kind of hockey team to watch for me personally.
Flyers have been really exciting to watch (for good and bad) for a while now. Even the Hitch teams were very fun to watch (they scored a lot of goals despite what some will claim).

Old
01-30-2011, 02:21 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:

I've honestly, on these boards, heard fans of other teams say that they enjoy watching the Flyers style of hockey even though they hate the team. A lot more, in fact, than claims that they are "boring." So what ego are you talking about?

BTW if you look at Vera's posts, most of his posts are on the Flyers board. Considering his attitude, it's blatantly obvious that the only reason he's on HF is to troll. So I would just ignore him.

Old
01-30-2011, 02:22 PM
chaosof99*

I can't remember the last game where I said at the end of it that it was boring. There was one occasion, where I said that half-way through the 2nd, and then the teams combined for like 4 goals in the last 7 minutes of that period, 3 of them within a minute time span. That was the Thrashers game when Shelley scored, I believe.

I guess it helps that I missed both the Columbus and that one Florida game this season :X

However, I do clearly remember someone on the main board asking once if there were any Flyers games that were boing this year, and I had to deny that.

I do believe the Flyers have been involved in the game with the most goals, and the game with the most penalty minutes league wide this season, but don't quote me on that. Separate occasions of course.

"Boring" was definitely never a word I heard used to describe Flyers hockey in general as.

Anyway, vera appears to be a troll and he or she ("Vera" is a german given name for women) also seems to be Zherdev's personal wolfy. We all know what that means, don't we?

Last edited by chaosof99*: 01-30-2011 at 02:28 PM.
chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 02:31 PM
Jester

Yeah, fighting and hitting have long been viewed as the antithesis of "boring" hockey.

Old
01-30-2011, 03:00 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I'm shocked Laviolette wasn't at least mentioned in the coach that demands the most of his players poll.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 03:22 PM
ilovetheflyers8

That poll question did not ask how popular a team was amongst players. They asked what team the players thought was the most overrated, that does not mean the players think the Flyers play an exciting game or not. Overrated means they thing people view the team as better than it is in terms of their skill or ability to win.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 03:59 PM
MsWoof

Why do you guys think someone named Vera is a guy?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 05:00 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
I can't remember the last game where I said at the end of it that it was boring. There was one occasion, where I said that half-way through the 2nd, and then the teams combined for like 4 goals in the last 7 minutes of that period, 3 of them within a minute time span. That was the Thrashers game when Shelley scored, I believe.

I guess it helps that I missed both the Columbus and that one Florida game this season :X

However, I do clearly remember someone on the main board asking once if there were any Flyers games that were boing this year, and I had to deny that.

I do believe the Flyers have been involved in the game with the most goals, and the game with the most penalty minutes league wide this season, but don't quote me on that. Separate occasions of course.

"Boring" was definitely never a word I heard used to describe Flyers hockey in general as.

Anyway, vera appears to be a troll and he or she ("Vera" is a german given name for women) also seems to be Zherdev's personal wolfy. We all know what that means, don't we?
It says a lot about the team that you wake up at what, 3AM(correct me if I'm wrong) to watch the games.

Old
01-30-2011, 06:59 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:

OMG, this has to be the funniest thing I've ever read on this board.

Homer must've held a gun to the heads of Briere, Pronger, Richie, Carter, Giroux, etc. etc.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 07:41 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Don't have to worry about the one who doesn't belong.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 07:52 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
OMG, this has to be the funniest thing I've ever read on this board.

Homer must've held a gun to the heads of Briere, Pronger, Richie, Carter, Giroux, etc. etc.
Betts, Timonen, Hartnell, Lappy, etc. etc. etc.

Vera, you're a trip!

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 10:18 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Chara...the toughest D-man

then I'm reminded of that time during the playoffs when Pronger touched him and he fell like a sack of potatoes
Briere has also done this to him.

BRIERE.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 11:06 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
You look pretty tall which makes squats harder for you. I am 5'11 and my upper body is longer than my lower so I have a pretty distinct advantage in squats, but I also work legs alot more than most people who are all about the glamor muscles (not saying you are, just saying in general).

Also, it is better to go by percentage of body weight rather than pure numbers. For instance, my 350 bench 1-rep max may seem impressive, but being 220 it is actually only 1.6x my body weight - not that impressive. That is also why Gaborik squatting 600 is so absurd... that is 3x his body weight.
That's Gaborik in the picture. He looks like he works almost all core and legs. His waist is as big around as his chest from the looks of it.

I am about 6' 220 pounds, but bigger legs than upper body, so 360 isn't really that great a number. I have kind of long legs and arms but a short torso, so I'm below where I would like to be in all my lifts as far as the numbers go. From a physics perspective, in terms of work done per one rep max I'm probably respectable though.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 11:43 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
i see the annoying little fly is back for more punishment.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote