HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Louis Leblanc

Old
01-28-2011, 05:48 PM
KristoLeblanc*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralMarky79 View Post
he wasnt on the pk and he was on the 2nd PP wave
You just confirm you didn't watch the tournament..

People were screaming his name in the stand because of stellar PK shift with his tenacity and forecheck.

KristoLeblanc* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 06:11 PM
GeneralMarky79

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristoLeblanc View Post

People were screaming his name in the stand because of stellar PK shift with his tenacity and forecheck.
sorry but I did watch the tournament actually. I was talking about last nights game

GeneralMarky79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 06:53 PM
JSBach

Remember when St. Louis wasn't drafted because he was too small. Oh yeah, and Luc Robitaille would never play in the NHL because he couldn't skate.

Give players time. He's only 18.

JSBach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 10:31 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:

It was at the begin of the tournament, at the end, he wasnt getting much PK time, Was rather used on the secondf PP wave..

As you said, Louis has had some great shifts on the PK, I think nobody is denying it, such as his poise along the board.. but if you take out your pink glasses for a second, you will first understand that there were alot of Habs fans in the crowd and that his overall skills displayed all along the tournament have been desapointing.. As I said his puckhandling skills were below average to say the least as well as his offensive creativity, in fact he generated most of his offense from the board cycling the puck very well..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:20 PM
SeriousFan09

Players getting ruled as busts at 20... You have to love the impatience of Montreal fans. Does anyone understand it ususally takes four or five years to really understand what a draft brought a team?

Leblanc has played in 4 different leagues in his last 4 seasons of hockey. Considering he manages to step on to each team and easily distinguishs himself each time he changes leagues, that's something to consider while many prospects get cozy playing on the same CHL team for years.

Leblanc was the scoring leader of the Quebec Triple A in 2007-2008. He scored 3G, 2A at the Under-18 Ivan Hlinka Tournament to win Gold. He was the 10th overall scorer in the USHL in 2008-2009, everyone ahead of him save Stanislav Galiev ('92) were '88s, '89s and a '90, fellow Habs prospect Mike Cichy, Leblanc was born in '91. He led a wretched Harvard team in scoring in 09-10 and won Ivy League Rookie of the Year honours. This season, he's easily outstripped his MTL Juniors teammates in PPG scoring, save recent acquisition Huberdeau, the guys ahead of him on MTL with more points have played at least 9 more games than he has and he had a stretch of battling injury.

SeriousFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 05:06 AM
Toro

some people are just (glass is half empty) kind of people. I don't truly know why they are like that... NewHabsEra is one of those ppl.

why so negative and opinionated? how the hell can u say how an 18/20 yr old will be like when 25? if u were any good u would be employed by a Pro hockey team.

I understand one can have an opinion but to be sure and crap on a guy limit his ceiling in your head?

I thought he was pretty good at the WJC some just need to help their agenda.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 06:27 AM
KristoLeblanc*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
It was at the begin of the tournament, at the end, he wasnt getting much PK time, Was rather used on the secondf PP wave..

As you said, Louis has had some great shifts on the PK, I think nobody is denying it, such as his poise along the board.. but if you take out your pink glasses for a second, you will first understand that there were alot of Habs fans in the crowd and that his overall skills displayed all along the tournament have been desapointing.. As I said his puckhandling skills were below average to say the least as well as his offensive creativity, in fact he generated most of his offense from the board cycling the puck very well..
He was playing second unit PK until the end. [Edited] You hated that pick since day 1 and you don't pass any Leblanc thread without saying it.

Last edited by overlords: 01-29-2011 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Play nice.
KristoLeblanc* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 07:48 AM
PunkinDrublic*

You see Dan, i can hold back my urge to post....
Did you lose a bet ? hehe

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 08:27 AM
ReVeuF

Quote:
Third line material wrote all over him.. Im starting to doubt about the selection..
It was similar to Plekanec when he started most were thinking he was a 3rd liner, now he is 2nd liner at worst.

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Dekar

I seriously need to start going to some Juniors games. I live in Verdun. It's a retard move not to.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 10:33 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedrik View Post
I think you need to amend your definition of 'bust' according to what the rest of the hockey world thinks. A very good third-liner drafted at 18th overall is not a bust. Disappointment, maybe.
Correct. LL would be a disappointment on line 3, even if he is very good there, but not a bust. I was a bit over the top, but I've been posting like that the last couple of days. The Philly loss really itched my bag for some reason...

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 10:38 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Correct. LL would be a disappointment on line 3, even if he is very good there, but not a bust. I was a bit over the top, but I've been posting like that the last couple of days. The Philly loss really itched my bag for some reason...
That's fine man. It happens to all of us.

I called Avtsin a major disapointment in the 'dogs thread a few weeks ago because he wasn't dominating the AHL at 19 and got the answers I deserved.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 11:19 AM
Toro

Losing to Phili gets to all of us. Man I want our road to the cup to be paved right over their face.

Old
01-29-2011, 12:05 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic View Post
You see Dan, i can hold back my urge to post....
Did you lose a bet ? hehe
Nope, I won again. Thanks

Quote:

There's no pink glasses on me, I didn't like the pick at the time as I didn't care for him in the 3 USHL games I saw him and Kristo play. But watching him at Havard I could see that he's a smart, hard working, skilled offensive player, solid two way player with a high compete level. He may not of looked overly impressive in the WJC's, yet how many teammates out producded him, in addition to him playing on almost every line, while getting high praise from his coach and people in the media like Bobby Mac.

Next year when he hits the AHL full time, we'll see how he does, other then that there's not much to talk about as it's still early enough in his development, we'll see how the next stage goes, so far so good imo.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 05:23 PM
BlackStar

You would think people's foolish remarks about the future of Max-Pac only a year ago and being proven wrong(He is still developing) by his stellar play this year(both AHL and NHL)would lead them to be wiser about their remarks about the future of Leblanc.

Leblanc is a very solid prospect. His stats are not disappointing. Furthermore, for a player like Leblanc it's not so much about his stats in the Q but his intangibles. He is a top-six prospect. Chances are he will develop into a second-line center. I would not be surprised if he becomes a top line Center either.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 05:39 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
some people are just (glass is half empty) kind of people. I don't truly know why they are like that... NewHabsEra is one of those ppl.

why so negative and opinionated? how the hell can u say how an 18/20 yr old will be like when 25? if u were any good u would be employed by a Pro hockey team.

I understand one can have an opinion but to be sure and crap on a guy limit his ceiling in your head?

I thought he was pretty good at the WJC some just need to help their agenda.
Saying he had third line material wrote all over him was an over statement, you should be used to this I do some at time, it was more of an emotive comment than a rational one.. So I take out that statement since nobody obviously really know how his game will develop and translate at the NHL level and I didnt see Louis play enough to back it without hesitation.. But some guys well connected who saw Louis often this year in the Q tend to picture him as third line material, Mathias Brunet is one of them, a guy Ive alot of respect for, and personally thats where I tend to picture him as well from the little I saw..

Quote:
He was playing second unit PK until the end. [Edited] You hated that pick since day 1 and you don't pass any Leblanc thread without saying it.
Not true, I had never saw him play before and I had no opinion on any kids going to be drafted in this draft outside some exceptions like Bournival that I saw him play a couple of times.. I liked the selection based on the fact Louis was a french speaking guy having alot of potential after reading the reports.. Now that I saw Louis play I cant say I dont like the pick since Ive the feeling he will be a pretty useful player, Im just pointing out that it could be on a third line more than a top 6 role based on what I saw personally..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
It was similar to Plekanec when he started most were thinking he was a 3rd liner, now he is 2nd liner at worst.
Most people thought Plekanec was too small and not skilled enough to play in the NHL one day (during his AHL years), personally, I fell in love with the player the first year he played for the Bulldogs, he was playing on a stacked team, shared with the Edm Oilers, centering the third line where he got about 35-40 pts.. I was thinking highly of his speed, hockey sense, combativity and was intrigued with his overall skills, he seemed to see the ice pretty well setting up his linemates very well and playing at a high tempo.. To be honest, I was already saying that this kid had everything to become an absolute steal in this 2001 draft and I even recall saying that Pleks had nothing to envy to early first rounders Chitov and Weiss, 2 small guys I thought werent going to be better than Plekanec.. Personally I pictured Plekanec as a potential solid second line center at his first year in N.A... Ive been wrong about Perezhogin though, I thought he would become an impact player in the NHL, I dont know how the stick swinging incident affected his carreer but he was a beauty to watch during the lock out in the second part of his AHL rookie season, was magistral in playoffs leading the league in scoring with Semin, he was just flying on the ice, dont recall someone being as dominant ever for the Bulldogs than Perezhogin was before he got banned from the AHL..

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Nope, I won again. Thanks

There's no pink glasses on me, I didn't like the pick at the time as I didn't care for him in the 3 USHL games I saw him and Kristo play. But watching him at Havard I could see that he's a smart, hard working, skilled offensive player, solid two way player with a high compete level. He may not of looked overly impressive in the WJC's, yet how many teammates out producded him, in addition to him playing on almost every line, while getting high praise from his coach and people in the media like Bobby Mac.

Next year when he hits the AHL full time, we'll see how he does, other then that there's not much to talk about as it's still early enough in his development, we'll see how the next stage goes, so far so good imo.
How would you rate his overall skills compared to his teammates in this tournament? Just like his stickhandling skills, playmaking, off flair?

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 09:41 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Most people thought Plekanec was too small and not skilled enough to play in the NHL one day (during his AHL years), personally, I fell in love with the player the first year he played for the Bulldogs,

How would you rate his overall skills compared to his teammates in this tournament? Just like his stickhandling skills, playmaking, off flair?
I remember that Chistov thread from back in the day, you took a ton of heat for that one for a while but were clearly correct. You were high on Pleks from the start, good call on your part, would be funny to read that thread again.

As for Leblanc compared to his teammates, I didn't pay much attention to his teammates and didn't see every game plus I don't see the point in comparing them. For me when I talk about Leblanc, it's based off everything i've seen over 3 years.

Old
01-30-2011, 02:17 PM
Toro

Quote:
Saying he had third line material wrote all over him was an over statement, you should be used to this I do some at time, it was more of an emotive comment than a rational one.. So I take out that statement since nobody obviously really know how his game will develop and translate at the NHL level

Good Man.

It is tough to put a limit on a guy still in junior or semi pro. Way too many factors in development can make a blue chipper bust and a projected 3rd 4th liner skyrocket to a top line role.

I tend to blend talent/accomplishments and attitude to project a ceiling for a player. But it is still very hard. thats why were not NHL scouts. Heck even the best are never right all the time.

For me in LL I see a talented big body with a desire to get better and make an impact for his childhood team. I think he has enough skill and assets to be a top 6 forward but one never knows.

I need to see him in Hamilton to get a better read though.

Old
01-30-2011, 02:39 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
He'll be a player.. that being said, will he be a better player than Josefson (my pick at the time) or Chris Kreider (my second choice..).

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 03:14 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
He'll be a player.. that being said, will he be a better player than Josefson (my pick at the time) or Chris Kreider (my second choice..).
Who cares if he's better then Josefson or Kreider? I mean for what reason would anyone else care? If Leblanc can come in and help the Habs then good news for the team.

Old
01-30-2011, 04:37 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Who cares if he's better then Josefson or Kreider? I mean for what reason would anyone else care? If Leblanc can come in and help the Habs then good news for the team.
If he's not better than the players that we could've had, then it's going to look like a bad pick. It's the way of the draft. If Leblanc is a third line player and those two are scoring 50-60-70 points....

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:32 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
If he's not better than the players that we could've had, then it's going to look like a bad pick. It's the way of the draft. If Leblanc is a third line player and those two are scoring 50-60-70 points....
That seems kind of silly, everyone that follows the draft should know that chances are, there's going to be someone better then your pick down the road. It's what the player does for your team that matters most, comparing picks in hindsight does nothing.

Old
01-31-2011, 12:40 PM
Lafleurs Guy

I thought he was pretty good in the Junior Tourney... He was involved in the play and even when he didn't get any points he was a factor in us putting the puck in the net.

Just because he might not be a future first liner doesn't mean he's a bust. He was taken 18th overall, we should be happy if he's a legit 2nd liner. Nothing wrong with that. A 3rd liner is fine too btw.
Quote:
That seems kind of silly, everyone that follows the draft should know that chances are, there's going to be someone better then your pick down the road. It's what the player does for your team that matters most, comparing picks in hindsight does nothing.
Exactly. All you can do is look at what an average 18th overall pick does in the NHL. If you consistently exceed the average (which we seem to be doing) then you're doing well.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 02:00 PM
SeriousFan09

You'd swear Kreider and Josefson were setting their leagues on fire the way people seem convinced MTL whiffed it on the Leblanc selection.

Kreider's got 7G, 9A in 22GP which is not dominant in 2nd-season NCAA hockey at all, especially when you're playing on the top-ranked, top-scoring team in your division. Josefson's barely got any games on his season to generate a good sample size to give an idea of what he can put up on NA ice.

SeriousFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 02:55 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
I remember that Chistov thread from back in the day, you took a ton of heat for that one for a while but were clearly correct. You were high on Pleks from the start, good call on your part, would be funny to read that thread again.
Oh hell yeah, i remember that thread too

I think at the time he username was "Plekanec" and someone posted like : "He thinks he's like a Chistov but with a better work ethic ". Turns out he was even more.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote