HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Henrik with Legitmate Shot at Vezina???.....FINALLY??

Old
01-30-2011, 05:20 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

vCash: 500
I was responding to Boyler who thinks that lundqvist will beat out thomas

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 05:22 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Unfortunately, like the Gold Glove and MVP in MLB, the Vezina and Hart Trophies have become a joke.

I say that, because MVP is NOT just the guy who scores the most goals on a stacked Presidents Trophy winning team. Yet, that seems to be the guy who wins it.

And no offense to Thomas, but playing something like 50 games and winning the Vezina, while guys like Lundqvist play over 70 games...is a joke.

And as we speak, they show Tim Thomas on camera while introducong Lundqvist...

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 05:31 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Lundqvist with a great save on penalty shot in the All-Star game.

Shades of Richter's save on Bure in the All-Star game in 94...and then repeated of course in the Cup Finals ironically.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 05:31 PM
empirestateofmind8

hey guys help me out I'm trying to get lundy allstar MVP. Lundqvist to 81812

empirestateofmind8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 05:33 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
I respect your optimism but the last two threads you have started are really reaching.

I mean Kreider breaking a record thats stood for 2 decades and Lundqvist winning the vezina. This one is a little more realistic but still highly unlikely. Had lundqvist started the season as well as hes playing now he and thomas would be in a dead heat. But lundqvist is a notoriously slow starter and that may be what holds him back from ever getting a vezina.

Hey listen i am a huge pessimist, i always say expectations lead to disappointment, but im at the point where it finally feels awesome to be a rangers fan, especially as a season ticket holder. And as a 20 yr old, this is the first time in my life i can experience that since i was 4 in 94. I am very very optimistic about kreider, but theres alot more dumb speculation on these boards about trades than that, and it only came to my head since rookies compete in the competition now. And as for henrik, all these nominations and no winning, hes like the scorcese of goalies.....where is his departed?

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 05:37 PM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Unfortunately, like the Gold Glove and MVP in MLB, the Vezina and Hart Trophies have become a joke.

I say that, because MVP is NOT just the guy who scores the most goals on a stacked Presidents Trophy winning team. Yet, that seems to be the guy who wins it.

And no offense to Thomas, but playing something like 50 games and winning the Vezina, while guys like Lundqvist play over 70 games...is a joke.

I'd disagree. The favorites for the Hart are Crosby and Stamkos and the favorite for Vezina is Thomas. There's noone in the NHL right now carrying more weight than those three. I'd even argue that Hank has a much better team in front of him than does Thomas, especially on defense save for Chara.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 05:41 PM
Patriks7

Quote:
I was responding to Boyler who thinks that lundqvist will beat out thomas
My bad I quoted the wrong post, sorry.

Patriks7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 06:03 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR BLUE18 View Post
Hey listen i am a huge pessimist, i always say expectations lead to disappointment, but im at the point where it finally feels awesome to be a rangers fan, especially as a season ticket holder. And as a 20 yr old, this is the first time in my life i can experience that since i was 4 in 94. I am very very optimistic about kreider, but theres alot more dumb speculation on these boards about trades than that, and it only came to my head since rookies compete in the competition now. And as for henrik, all these nominations and no winning, hes like the scorcese of goalies.....where is his departed?
I know how you feel as i am also 20....birthday's tomorrow though so basically 21 but all in all the vezina is much different than the oscars.

Thomas is far and away the best goalie in the nhl this year. Of course i would love for lundy to win it but with thomas' numbers it seems his chances are extremely slim.

In regards to kreider...lets have him make the nhl before we pencil him into the as game.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 06:32 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Quote:
I know how you feel as i am also 20....birthday's tomorrow though so basically 21 but all in all the vezina is much different than the oscars.

Thomas is far and away the best goalie in the nhl this year. Of course i would love for lundy to win it but with thomas' numbers it seems his chances are extremely slim.

In regards to kreider...lets have him make the nhl before we pencil him into the as game.
Agreed...........Happy birthday.....ill have to wait until the 2011-2012 season to be 21 lol.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 06:41 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I'd disagree. The favorites for the Hart are Crosby and Stamkos and the favorite for Vezina is Thomas. There's noone in the NHL right now carrying more weight than those three. I'd even argue that Hank has a much better team in front of him than does Thomas, especially on defense save for Chara.
I wouldn't say they have a worse team in front of them. Even Rask puts up a nice SP and he is 4-10 on the year I think. I think that Hank has carried this team through all of the injuries, he has been the piece that has stood tall, and I would argue that he has held more weight than Thomas.

Obviously Thomas has been the better goalie, and should win the Vezina at this point.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 06:42 PM
NYR Viper

Claude Julien's system is part of the reason for Thomas' great numbers.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 06:42 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
It seems like on this board, any overly optimistic views will not be tolerated

Old
01-30-2011, 07:03 PM
Blue Line Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I have no idea how you could argue that. They may not have many great defenseman,(besides Chara who plays half the game), but they play great team defense. Are there any games more boring to watch then when we play the Bruins?

I'd say the Flyers and Bruins are the two teams we can never find any time and space against.

Also, I think Hank carries much more weight than Thomas. It must be nice being able to flop around like an idiot, knowing that if you screw up your team can actually score goals to help you out. The last few years, Hank gives up 3 goals and you can pretty much call it a loss. He probably plays with the most pressure in the league. IMO.

Blue Line Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 07:06 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Hank will be nominated this year, lose it to Thomas, get nominated next year, and lose it to the next goalie who suddenly plays great only to fall into being completely average again. Repeat until Hank retires.
Yeah, it is kind of how Brodeur started out.. He was great but there seemed to be a goalie each year better. Eventually Brodeur won a Vezina and etc. It will probably happen the same way with Hank.

Although, the past 5 years or so Tim Thomas has put up some real good years and could be considered every bit as good and consistent as Hank.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 07:09 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Lundqvist with a great save on penalty shot in the All-Star game.

Shades of Richter's save on Bure in the All-Star game in 94...and then repeated of course in the Cup Finals ironically.

although it wasn't a penalty shot.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 07:40 PM
rholt168
Hank**3

Hank will get one before the end of his career, probably as a lifetime achievement award.

rholt168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 08:21 PM
Rangerfans

Quote:

I don't know how you can call the Vezina "a joke." And I can't fathom how you wouldn't give Tim Thomas the Vezina considering - as of right now - the man has the highest save % ever since its introduction.

Timmy Thomas DESERVES the Vezina.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 08:24 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Henrik Lundqvist might finally be a favorite and have a legitmate shot at grabbing the vezina trophy for the nhl's best goalie. Since yesterday was 70 days until the final regular season game vs the devils and end of the regular season for everyone, I think its a given as of now that he will be nominated once again. He will most likely extend that record from 5-6 years as the first goalie to start his career with 6 straight 30 win seasons. Will King Henrik finally reign supreme?
No way he wins it. Thomas is having a runaway season.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 08:26 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

The frustration with Thomas is that he has no style. Some call it unorthodox while others just say he flops around like an idiot.

It works, but whatever. I don't like him because when we played the Bruins he stopped about 2 goals due to absolute pure luck of him throwing his arms and legs out sporadically.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 08:32 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Quote:

Hart trophy, yes, it has. It is supposed to be the most valuable player to his team, not the "best player in the league".

But the Vezina? Nahhhhh. The last few goalies to win have been more than deserving, except maybe Brodeur winning it over Nabakov in 2008.

Quote:
Except Lundqvist so far has played 40 games, and Thomas has played 36....4 game difference, woopity doo. He's on pace for 68 games played, same as Miller last year. And Thomas has been far and away the better goalie of the two this year, and was also the better goalie in 2009. Lundqvist should be a close 2nd, with Hiller in 3rd.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 08:38 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Hart trophy, yes, it has. It is supposed to be the most valuable player to his team, not the "best player in the league".

But the Vezina? Nahhhhh. The last few goalies to win have been more than deserving, except maybe Brodeur winning it over Nabakov in 2008.

Except Lundqvist so far has played 40 games, and Thomas has played 36....4 game difference, woopity doo. He's on pace for 68 games played, same as Miller last year. And Thomas has been far and away the better goalie of the two this year, and was also the better goalie in 2009. Lundqvist should be a close 2nd, with Hiller in 3rd.
In NO WAY, was Thomas the better goalie last year.

And, yes, Thomas has been a lot better this year, with his win percentage, save percentage, and GAA. He does play in a very defensive system though.

Old
01-30-2011, 08:40 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
In NO WAY, was Thomas the better goalie last year.

And, yes, Thomas has been a lot better this year, with his win percentage, save percentage, and GAA. He does play in a very defensive system though.
I didn't say that. He was in 2008-2009, though. Lundqvist was better than Thomas last year, but Thomas was battling hip problems after surgery in the offseason. He's had time to recover from that a bit, and he's been awesome ever since.

Old
01-30-2011, 08:43 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Nope Tomas has it in the bag unless he crashes and burns the last 30 games.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 08:45 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I didn't say that. He was in 2008-2009, though. Lundqvist was better than Thomas last year, but Thomas was battling hip problems after surgery in the offseason. He's had time to recover from that a bit, and he's been awesome ever since.
Yeah I can feel that. Lundqvist is always the 2nd or 3rd best statistically in the league, and there is 1 or 2 guys that have a great year that are better than him that year.

Its that consistincey though that make me think hes the best goalie in the league to have on your team. Honestly the last 5 years of all the NHL, he could be one of the MVP's.

Old
01-30-2011, 08:47 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
Yeah I can feel that. Lundqvist is always the 2nd or 3rd best statistically in the league, and there is 1 or 2 guys that have a great year that are better than him that year.

Its that consistincey though that make me think hes the best goalie in the league to have on your team. Honestly the last 5 years of all the NHL, he could be one of the MVP's.
Overall, I feel that Lundqvist is the best goalie in the league, but the Vezina is awarded for the best goalie in a single year, which, unfortunately, Lundqvist has never been.

It doesn't matter, though, because most of those goalies have trouble repeating such a performance, and thus, fall down the depth chart. I'd rather have a consistent top-3 goalie than a one hit wonder borderline top-10 goalie.