HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grachev, Newbury, Del Zotto recalled by NYR

Old
01-30-2011, 09:48 PM
ogie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonDoig View Post
That will translate to points eventually.
eventually being next season.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 09:50 PM
Rangerfans

You guys are entitled to your opinion. I'm entitled to mine.

The guy has not even recorded a single shot since he's been called up. He hasn't showed me anything.

I don't know where all this hype comes from. But everyone must always have their little favorites.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 09:52 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

There really is a sort of a Grachev cult following on this board.

Can be as hopeful as you like, it doesnt defer the fact that he has only one good season as a 19 year old in the OHL. Not a selling point in my book for so much hype.

01-30-2011, 09:53 PM
Gardner McKay
Niles, Pls.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonDoig View Post
For two reasons:

1)He wasn't called up to sit in the pressbox

2) You're wrong

He hasn't lit the world on fire but he's done his job. Especially against the Capitals, he was an absolute force on the forecheck and holding the puck along the boards. The Capitals were completely helpless in knocking him off the puck. That will translate to points eventually.
I agree 10000000% I thought Grachev was very noticeable and impressive against the Caps. Granted he did not put up any points but I think he played a good game and played the kind of game that will use his strengths accordingly. I am happy to see him being given another chance. IMO he will never be what some people are expecting of him, 80-90 point player but I do still think he has a chance to be a solid 20 goal 30 assist guy in the NHL if he can consistently do well.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 09:57 PM
Rangerfans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post

Can be as hopeful as you like, it doesnt defer the fact that he has only one good season as a 19 year old in the OHL. Not a selling point in my book for so much hype.
I honestly think we're the only two people on this entire Ranger board that think this way.

He has shown me nothing. Not in the AHL...not in the NHL. Granted, he's only 20 years old...

Old
01-30-2011, 09:59 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfans View Post
I honestly think we're the only two people on this entire Ranger board that think this way.

He has shown me nothing. Not in the AHL...not in the NHL. Granted, he's only 20 years old...
I agree too. He is known to be a "good prospect", but he has not done much in the AHL, besides recently getting hot. He has not stood out on the Rangers in a good or bad way either. I hope he is good, and think he has potential, BUT i need to see it sometime, and like you said, hes only 20.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 10:01 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrcantakeyou View Post
eh nvmd my last post. feds and chris are still out, maybe Callys comin back. i friggin hope he comes back. then Dubs like next week. p-p-p-pweese
Interesting tidbit. There's another thread here. Someone noticed that Prospal had two stars next to his name and Staal had the A on the Rangers site. Now Prospal has the A, no stars and Staal doesn't have anything.

My thoughts on this: Didn't Cally carry the A? I thought he did. If I'm right, this means the presumption that Cally is coming back is incorrect and it's Vinny that will be back. Seems far fetched but the markings on the site seem to indicate otherwise...unless it's a mistake. Also, someone previously said that he was "activated" just to meet roster requirements with all the up and down over the all star break. If that were true, Staal would have retained the A or it would have been moved to Callahan.

Last edited by Skrimpy: 01-30-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Skrimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 10:06 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrimpy View Post
Interesting tidbit. There's another thread here. Someone noticed that Prospal had two stars next to his name and Staal had the A on the Rangers site. Now Prospal has the A, no stars and Staal doesn't have anything.

My thoughts on this: Didn't Cally carry the A? I thought he did. If I'm right, this means the presumption that Cally is coming back is incorrect and it's Vinny that will be back. Seems far fetched but the markings on the site seem to indicate otherwise...unless it's a mistake.
No, you are misunderstanding. Cally has the A, and so does Prospal on the website. Not just prospal. It is because Prospal came off of the IR, and has the A instead of Staalsy.

Old
01-30-2011, 10:09 PM
Rangerfans

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
I agree too. He is known to be a "good prospect", but he has not done much in the AHL, besides recently getting hot. He has not stood out on the Rangers in a good or bad way either. I hope he is good, and think he has potential, BUT i need to see it sometime, and like you said, hes only 20.
That's the thing that really irks me. When the countless and pointless threads come up of "Predict the Ranger roster for next year..." or something similar, I see things like:

Grachev centering our 2nd/3rd line. Boyle centering the 4th.

...wait wut? You're going to put our TOP scorer on the 4th line and a guy who can barely crack the AHL centering our 2nd/3rd? Why? How does Grachev earn such things?

Can someone PLEASE tell me what Grachev has done to earn the hype?

Old
01-30-2011, 10:09 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
No, you are misunderstanding. Cally has the A, and so does Prospal on the website. Not just prospal. It is because Prospal came off of the IR, and has the A instead of Staalsy.
Seems like a pretty strange bit of minutiae (not the A but the marking of the A on the website) to have automated.

Skrimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 10:12 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Grachev still looks out of place at the NHL level... Just like he did in the previous 2 pre-seasons....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 10:12 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrimpy View Post
Seems like a pretty strange bit of minutiae (not the A but the marking of the A on the website) to have automated.
So what does that have to do with cally? I am not understanding? Cally has always had the A on the website. He always had the A on the ice. Staal was a "fill-in" while Prospal was hurt. Then when Prospal was activated off IR, they assumed the "A" would go back to Prospal. Cally will be back tuesday, Prospal will not.

Old
01-30-2011, 10:13 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
That's the thing that really irks me. When the countless and pointless threads come up of "Predict the Ranger roster for next year..." or something similar, I see things like:

...wait wut? You're going to put our TOP scorer on the 4th line and a guy who can barely crack the AHL centering our 2nd/3rd? Why? How does Grachev earn such things?

It was the OHL season. Two years ago around the deadline there was a rumored St. Louis to rangers rumor, and I got my head bitten for suggesting it would be a good deal for the Rangers.

Our fanbase does tend to overhype, in general. We're not Toronto, but even so.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 10:14 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:

Thats what happens on HFBoards. A couple of people obsess over a player/prospect and everyone startes to obsess over them. Or a couple people have a whipping boy, and then everyone else has the same whipping boy. Sometimes everyone is right, sometimes they are not.

Old
01-30-2011, 10:17 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:

C'mon guys and gals. He has already scored more goals than last year in half a season, is a plus player as opposed to last year, and even with these recalls, he's still on pace to beat all his totals in the AHL from last year (assists, PIMS, shots, etc). That's progress.

He did fine in a limited NHL role and obviously he still has a lot to work on. He's only 20. Patience, patience, patience.....

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 10:18 PM
Rangerfans

Quote:
It was the OHL season. Two years ago around the deadline there was a rumored St. Louis to rangers rumor, and I got my head bitten for suggesting it would be a good deal for the Rangers.

Our fanbase does tend to overhype, in general. We're not Toronto, but even so.
We're close. People are still saying MDZ >>> Gilroy.

Still? Right this second? It's not even close.

Quote:
Thats what happens on HFBoards. A couple of people obsess over a player/prospect and everyone startes to obsess over them. Or a couple people have a whipping boy, and then everyone else has the same whipping boy. Sometimes everyone is right, sometimes they are not.
Oh, I agree. It really bothers me too. The hatred for certain players is appalling and sad.

And what's even worse is there is ALWAYS something people complain about. Always. Let's say we get rid of everyone's current whipping boy (Drury). We'll just get on Gilroy's case after...or maybe Eminger.

It's always something. Then there is the love-fest. Remember when Chad Johnson started off with a win or so, and people started talking about TRADING Hank?

It's silly.

Old
01-30-2011, 10:21 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Patience is good and fine. But if you look at it from a historical perspective, how many players become top 6 offensive NHL threats after two mediocre seasons in the AHL? (productionwise)

Not perfectly comparable, but Grachev's hartford numbers are not dissimilar to Hugh Jessiman's. Admittedly Grachev has already made it further than Jessiman by actually playing NHL games, but for the most part that is attributable to our obscene number of injuries this year.

I have not seen the "stuff" from Grachev in hartford. He doesnt take control of the game with the puck on his stick. This is why I've reverted my expectations to possible 3rd line winger, and hope to be surprised. But I doubt it.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 10:22 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
We're close. People are still saying MDZ >>> Gilroy.

Still? Right this second? It's not even close.

Oh, I agree. It really bothers me too. The hatred for certain players is appalling and sad.

And what's even worse is there is ALWAYS something people complain about. Always. Let's say we get rid of everyone's current whipping boy (Drury). We'll just get on Gilroy's case after...or maybe Eminger.

It's always something. Then there is the love-fest. Remember when Chad Johnson started off with a win or so, and people started talking about TRADING Hank?

It's silly.
Yeah it annoys me too, I thought I was one of the only ones that though that way. Its hard to be positive with everyone sometimes. I just like to try and be real.

And as for MDZ and Gilroy, I think Gilly has been better this year, and can be a good NHLer. MDZ has a better ceiling though, and is a big part of this teams future.

Old
01-30-2011, 10:28 PM
Rangerfans

Quote:
Yeah it annoys me too, I thought I was one of the only ones that though that way. Its hard to be positive with everyone sometimes. I just like to try and be real.

And as for MDZ and Gilroy, I think Gilly has been better this year, and can be a good NHLer. MDZ has a better ceiling though, and is a big part of this teams future.
Absolutely. And I totally agree with you on all parts (though I think Gilly is underrated here and MDZ is a bit overrated). But we agree to disagree and I'm totally fine with that. I see your logic and understand.

It's when there is NO logic whatsoever that makes me shake my head. For example: All the Grachev fluff. He hasn't done anything to deserve it. Throwing Eminger in as trade bait and installing MDZ to replace him....why?! Eminger has been pretty remarkable thus far. What has MDZ done?

I'll never forget the day that I lost hope for the HFBoard Ranger fans.

Prucha > Crosby. That is forever burned into my skull.

Old
01-30-2011, 10:30 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Pertaining to the Gilroy/MDZ stuff, most of us are saying MDZ in 2 years is going to be much, much better than Gilroy in two years. We don't even know if Gilroy will keep up his OK play, considering he was putrid last year.

01-30-2011, 10:33 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

I was literally in tears from laughter during the Florida game. When Grachev came out to give autograph's some guy started telling everyone he's the future of the franchise. He's the face of the franchise. I was dumbfounded.

Here, let's put it this way. Grachev is a lot closer to being a future Jessiman than the future face of this franchise. However, it's not to say that's the case at all. I think maybe one day he can be a decent 3rd line grinding scorer. Like a Fedotenko without the great defensive abilities. Maybe he can round that part as he's still very young.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 10:34 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

hp, did you hear his response? Or did he not say anything?

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Rangerfans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Pertaining to the Gilroy/MDZ stuff, most of us are saying MDZ in 2 years is going to be much, much better than Gilroy in two years. We don't even know if Gilroy will keep up his OK play, considering he was putrid last year.
That's fine. You guys can have your opinion.

I'm in the minority and think that Gilly has a higher potential cap than MDZ.

Considering his puck-handling and speed.

And everyone focuses on Gilly's putrid year last year (I am not going to argue) but no one puts into considering MDZ's putrid year this year.

Gilroy "might" have had a bad rookie year considering it was his first year in the NHL. But people will crucify him because he is "24" and not a 'real' rookie.

Meanwhile, MDZ is suffering this year, but people come into his defense with the "sophomore slump." I find that a bit entertaining.

Old
01-30-2011, 10:39 PM
eco's bones

Grachev's been coming on pretty good in the last month or so--but he was missing in action for a long time IMO. Is he ready to produce offense? My gut tells me no. At this point in time I don't know what to think of him. He could turn out to be a good player or he could turn into the next Marcel Hossa or maybe even worse. Time will tell.

Anyway he's going back down if and when enough bodies return from the injured list. Of all the callups at forward MZA is the one who has proven to me he belongs. Newbury is a good 4th line fill in--kind of like a version of P. J. Stock. Kolarik had a nice start but the last couple games wasn't all that evident. Weise I like but I'm not sure he's any more ready than Grachev.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 10:42 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
That's fine. You guys can have your opinion.

I'm in the minority and think that Gilly has a higher potential cap than MDZ.

Considering his puck-handling and speed.

And everyone focuses on Gilly's putrid year last year (I am not going to argue) but no one puts into considering MDZ's putrid year this year.

Gilroy "might" have had a bad rookie year considering it was his first year in the NHL. But people will crucify him because he is "24" and not a 'real' rookie.

Meanwhile, MDZ is suffering this year, but people come into his defense with the "sophomore slump." I find that a bit entertaining.
I don't see all the "potential" in Gilroy. He's playing like a solid #5/6 defenseman at the moment. Nothing more, nothing less. His defensive awareness is still pretty bad, shown on the GWG against Florida, and the only GA in the Washington game.

Btw, Gilroy was 25 last year. And Del Zotto was 20 when he was playing terrible this year. You tell me there isn't a difference there? Del Zotto has shown the ability to be a good puck mover, putting up almost 40 points as a 19-20 year old, with Kotalik as his "big point shot". He's having huge confidence problems, and is overthinking the play most of the time. He didn't do that against Florida, and thus, looked pretty good.

And we have to remember, we're talking about a 20 year old millionaire, pro hockey player in New York City, who is admittedly good looking. Don't tell me(not you) he's not gonna be distracted with chicks/drinking/partying etc.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote