HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grachev, Newbury, Del Zotto recalled by NYR

Old
01-30-2011, 09:44 PM
Rangerfans

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
And we have to remember, we're talking about a 20 year old millionaire, pro hockey player in New York City, who is admittedly good looking. Don't tell me(not you) he's not gonna be distracted with chicks/drinking/partying etc.
Considering I saw him at Warren 77, I can tell you that he is

And you know what? He has every reason to be distracted

What's good about him being sent down though is: he knows he's not invulnerable. So he's going to have to mature and be disciplined if he wants to be a legitimate NHL player.

The good news is: he has the potential, he's young, and it's all a learning process. Growing pains.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 09:46 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
I don't see all the "potential" in Gilroy. He's playing like a solid #5/6 defenseman at the moment. Nothing more, nothing less. His defensive awareness is still pretty bad, shown on the GWG against Florida, and the only GA in the Washington game.

Btw, Gilroy was 25 last year. And Del Zotto was 20 when he was playing terrible this year. You tell me there isn't a difference there? Del Zotto has shown the ability to be a good puck mover, putting up almost 40 points as a 19-20 year old, with Kotalik as his "big point shot". He's having huge confidence problems, and is overthinking the play most of the time. He didn't do that against Florida, and thus, looked pretty good.

And we have to remember, we're talking about a 20 year old millionaire, pro hockey player in New York City, who is admittedly good looking. Don't tell me(not you) he's not gonna be distracted with chicks/drinking/partying etc.
So why isn't that slowing down Gilroy, who is in his second year of the NHL ? Why has he been better than MDZ this year. He has even played pretty good defense with a plus 8 in 36 games this year. I do not disagree with what you are saying about Del Zotto.

I am just concerned with the fact that Gilroy is being bashed when he is far exceeding expectations. The only reasoning is that people need someone to bash at all times.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 09:47 PM
E Nixson
Powered by Intel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfans View Post
Considering I saw him at Warren 77, I can tell you that he is

And you know what? He has every reason to be distracted

What's good about him being sent down though is: he knows he's not invulnerable.
So he's going to have to mature and be disciplined if he wants to be a legitimate NHL player.

The good news is: he has the potential, he's young, and it's all a learning process. Growing pains.
Bingo
He knows he has to work that much harder to stay in the NHL. I am also with you in the minority that Gilroy deserves more credit then he gets around here.

E Nixson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 09:52 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

gilroy is like a +10 since he came back from the pressbox

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 09:52 PM
JeffMangum
mfw Flyers D

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
So why isn't that slowing down Gilroy, who is in his second year of the NHL ? Why has he been better than MDZ this year. He has even played pretty good defense with a plus 8 in 36 games this year. I do not disagree with what you are saying about Del Zotto.

I am just concerned with the fact that Gilroy is being bashed when he is far exceeding expectations. The only reasoning is that people need someone to bash at all times.
Gilroy is in his mid-late 20s. He's much more mature, and has experienced being a big hockey star in a large city before.

As for Gilroy's defense, he's been passable the last few weeks. He's made some good outlet passes as well. He's a solid 5th defenseman, and he's turned out to be a good signing by Sather. I just don't think he has the defensive intelligence to be more than a bottom-pairing guy in this league, though. I see him out of position more than he should be, and he seems to intent on the offensive attack.

I don't expect him to be here after this year.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 09:58 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Gilroy is in his mid-late 20s. He's much more mature, and has experienced being a big hockey star in a large city before.

As for Gilroy's defense, he's been passable the last few weeks. He's made some good outlet passes as well. He's a solid 5th defenseman, and he's turned out to be a good signing by Sather. I just don't think he has the defensive intelligence to be more than a bottom-pairing guy in this league, though. I see him out of position more than he should be, and he seems to intent on the offensive attack.

I don't expect him to be here after this year.
Almost sounds like you are talking about MDZ

Dont get me wrong I love MDZ, own a jersey of his. But he has to get his confidence back and work a little harder. And I don't think that you can say Gilroy is mature, and has played big time hockey. This is the next level and he has done a great job. Just gotta give him some props, and move on. I do agree with you though that he might end up being the odd one out eventually.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 10:06 PM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:
Almost sounds like you are talking about MDZ

Dont get me wrong I love MDZ, own a jersey of his. But he has to get his confidence back and work a little harder. And I don't think that you can say Gilroy is mature, and has played big time hockey. This is the next level and he has done a great job. Just gotta give him some props, and move on. I do agree with you though that he might end up being the odd one out eventually.

right now when i see gilroy on the ice i don't have a heart malfunction.

when i see MDZ i expect him to make a pass from behind his own net right onto the tape of an opposing player bang in the slot.

hopefully the AHL is helping out MDZ's play - perhaps we'll get to see this week.

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 10:11 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
So what does that have to do with cally? I am not understanding? Cally has always had the A on the website. He always had the A on the ice. Staal was a "fill-in" while Prospal was hurt. Then when Prospal was activated off IR, they assumed the "A" would go back to Prospal. Cally will be back tuesday, Prospal will not.
Just thinking out loud...well, writing out loud (crap, that doesn't work typing). Anyway, I was just trying to figure a reason the A would go back to him on the website if he wasn't playing. If it was an automatic thing, Cally's A would have been taken off when he was injured. If it is done manually, it doesn't make sense putting Vinny's back on just yet. Messing around with the A on the website seems pretty stupid if he isn't playing...especially if Staal is going to keep the A (obviously he will).

Skrimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 10:18 PM
JasonDoig*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Patience is good and fine. But if you look at it from a historical perspective, how many players become top 6 offensive NHL threats after two mediocre seasons in the AHL? (productionwise)

Not perfectly comparable, but Grachev's hartford numbers are not dissimilar to Hugh Jessiman's. Admittedly Grachev has already made it further than Jessiman by actually playing NHL games, but for the most part that is attributable to our obscene number of injuries this year.

I have not seen the "stuff" from Grachev in hartford. He doesnt take control of the game with the puck on his stick. This is why I've reverted my expectations to possible 3rd line winger, and hope to be surprised. But I doubt it.
How many players have had Brian Boyle's developmental path? Or Gilroy's? I understand your point and you're right, but at the same time let's not undersell him at the same time. Outside of the elite prospects like a Seguin, most huge forwards take time to adjust to the professional game. You're right that his call up was due to injuries, but the reason for it is irrelevant. He didn't look out of place on the 3rd line and that's all that matters. Dan Girardi was called up solely because of injury and look where he is now. Lundqvist only got so many starts early on in his rookie year because Weekes sucked. The reason for opportunity doesn't matter; only how you take advantage of it. Grachev was hardly great but he did not at all look out of place, and thats a LOT more than you could say about Jessiman at ANY age, let alone 20. If he's missing curfews or being lazy or being a problem in the locker room then I'll worry, but for now let's just sit back and watch him play and we can nitpick about things 2 years from now when we have a better gauge on what kind of player he is developing into.

The people who demand instant gratification out of Grachev are equally as ignorant as the people who called him our top prospect the past 1-2 years.

JasonDoig* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 10:21 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfans View Post
I honestly think we're the only two people on this entire Ranger board that think this way.

He has shown me nothing. Not in the AHL...not in the NHL. Granted, he's only 20 years old...
You mean three people.

01-30-2011, 10:31 PM
Vitto79

hmmmm DZ back eh. wonder if he's here to play the PP they will know if they need to acquire a vet rental for the PP then. Who comes out I would have idea. Intersting to see him up and if he plays

Newbury makes sense for the 4th line and Grachev makes sense if Prospal is still out for a few more games. I think he is close though and will stay off th IR

Avery, Anisimov, Gaborik
Wolski, Stepan, Zuccarello
Prust, Boyle, Callahan
Grachev,Newbury, Drury
Prospal

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 10:31 PM
The Mouth

I think Grachev looks fine. apparently they think so. He is gonna take a longer time to develop than even Anisimov. He came out one year to early from juniors because he agent wanted him to turn pro,

I think it has hindered his development.

He seems very hesitant to get into offensive play, but has been a good soldier defensively and been hustling and even throwing the odd bodycheck.

He certainly hasn't been floating like the people who have seen whale games.

On the Gilroy front he deserves some very good praise, he is playing with confidence and really improved his defense of late.

He got sent down last year, just like MDZ this year, so lets hope we get the same results.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 10:49 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Schoenfeld made these comments last night about MDZ. He was at the Whale games this weekend

Quote:
ďHeís back on track as far as an incremental upgrade of his entire game,Ē said Schoenfeld, who saw Del Zotto play three of his first 10 games with the Whale and the two games on his first recall to the Rangers. ďAs has been documented, itís a tough position being the last line of defense before the goalie, so your mistakes are glaring. And because of his ability, Michael also adds an offensive element to his game, and when youíre put on the power play, you have to produce, and if you arenít, you look at somebody else.

ďBut you donít have to be off much to suffer greatly in both areas, and thatís all it was. He wasnít dreadful. He was just a little off his game for our expectations, and I think for his expectations. And we just felt the best thing for Michael was to go find his best game. It had nothing to do with sending a message. It was strictly hockey. He was not one of our top six (defensemen) in New York, so why have a young kid in and out of the lineup? So we wanted him to go find his best game, and I think he has done that
http://howlings.net/2011/01/30/from-...uce-berlet-53/

JJ Daigneault spoke to Bruce Berlet about MDZ

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 11:24 PM
DekeR

MDZ: I thought it was about time they sent him down to locate his game. Too much upside to risk damage to his psych and development as he struggles in the NHL.
Gilroy: Has shown improvement in his defensive game and is beginning to let that offensive side of his game come out little by little by pinching more aggressively. Not too sure if he receives a contract offer next year, depending on how the RFA's are taken care of and if we can secure a 1st line center.
Grachev: agree with the consensus that he has some maturing to do before we can label him a bust or a work in progress. Took Boyle a while to see the light and Grachev will probably fall in that category as well. Would be a shame to toss Grachev aside if we are looking at a power forward who can potentially net 20 and provide good board presence(which we lack). I don't mind him taking a spin in the NHL every now and then. Lets him see where he stands and gives him motivation (hopefully) to keep plugging away.

DekeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:39 AM
Pizza

I thought Gilroy and MDZ looked pretty good on the PP together. I want to see that a few more times.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 02:03 AM
gravey9

Gilroy is a decent 5-6. His somewhat limited vision is the thing that will always keep him from being a true offensive defenseman or a force on the PP.

Currently, MDZ is the only D in the organization that can anticipate clearing attempts and keep the puck in on the PP. It's part anticipation, part agility. Leetch was by far the greatest at this. Point is, MDZ, when on his game, is more valuable to the team than Gilroy will be in the long run - when MDZ isn't QBing the PP really suffers. I'm curious to see if Gilroy is back next year. I can see a decent argument on both sides. Though, if we're considering Gilroy as our second Offensive D-Man, I'm not sure he'll ever get there. Doesn't mean he won't be a solid 5-7 d-man for years to come. Just probably not elite PP QB material.

gravey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:27 AM
NYR Viper

So what happens if Grachev returns to the WhalePack after some players come back and continues his good play and finishes the season with 25 goals and 45-50 points? Considering this season SHOULD have been his rookie year in the AHL to begin with is that so bad?

Big players take olonger to develop and last year the Wolfpack were a TERRIBLE team.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:29 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
So what happens if Grachev returns to the WhalePack after some players come back and continues his good play and finishes the season with 25 goals and 45-50 points? Considering this season SHOULD have been his rookie year in the AHL to begin with is that so bad?

Big players take olonger to develop and last year the Wolfpack were a TERRIBLE team.
Well, if he does that well, management might give him a look if there is an anticipated vacant LW spot in camp next year with potentials Kreider, Hagelin, or Fedotenko or Kennedy.

01-31-2011, 11:46 AM
Blueblood 2

He is up for another dose of "Tortorizing". Young Russian meat heads need many applications!

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:38 PM
mostly a reader

I don't know that Grachev's 20 y.o. AHL season wouldn't have compared to Dubinsky's
(21 G, 22 A, 71 games) had it not been interrupted by callups.

He was a 3rd round pick. If he becomes today's version of Boyle, we should all be very happy. Fortunately, the Rangers didn't give up on Boyle as quickly as most here, including myself, wanted to.

mostly a reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 01:13 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

People are high on Grachev because he's 19, a big body forward, and shown flashes of offensive ability in the AHL. Random question though, has he ever played center?

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 01:24 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
People are high on Grachev because he's 19, a big body forward, and shown flashes of offensive ability in the AHL. Random question though, has he ever played center?
He's 20. He was drafted as a center.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 12:34 PM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

Quote:
AdamRotter Evgeny Grachev sent to Hartford
http://twitter.com/AdamRotter

UnderPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Which means Dubinsky is good to go.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 12:50 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Hope Dubi didn't force his way into the line-up. Good to see him back though.

Dubi-Anisimov-Gaborik
Wolski-Stepan-Callahan
Prust-Boyle-MZA
Avery-Newbury-Drury

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote