HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre Mcguire thinks LA has to be aggressive at the deadline

Old
01-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
So when NBA teams release players they still have to pay them 90% of their remaining deal?

Whatever portion of their contract is guaranteed, the team pays roughly 90%, yes, sometimes slightly less, sometimes slightly more. For example when the Sixers bought out Chris Webber's remaining $43M or so, they paid him around $39 million just to go away. A similar agreement was reached between Steve Francis and the Knicks.

The player and the team have to agree on terms but the player has all the leverage. The first buyout I can remember was Dino Radja's hefty Boston contract, he wanted to go back to Europe and they paid him around 50%. More recently, I cannot recall one under 85%, though I don't know there is a floor.

The new cap hit becomes the buyout paid over the remaining length on the deal, but that doesn't represent the substantial savings it does in the NHL where you pay 2/3s and that all comes off the books.

The only exception in the NBA are non-guaranteed years. I've never seen a contract--apart from team options of 1-2 years and player options of one year-with more than one non-guaranteed year. There if a player is waived, the team is free and clear. Sometimes you'll even see guys waived and come back 30 days later with the same team that waived them. It's a weird system where there has to be a lot of fudging to get trades through, in most cases the salaries being exchanged have to be within 15% of one another so you see weird stuff to round out deals and limit actual cost to one party or the other.

01-28-2011, 04:15 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
He said we are disappointing, frustrating and that we need to get our act together because we have the defense, goaltending and firepower to be much better than we are.

Also that its hard to say if Murray's job is in jeopardy.
Think that sounds about right. We're clearly the best team not in the playoffs right now. We should be way up at 5th at least...

I'm just amazed that after the long LONG pain we're only a 1 out of 8th!

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 05:39 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Knoll View Post
Your avatar is brilliant, sir.

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 07:27 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
The Chicago game was already 2-1 Chicago when the goal was scored, so no lost points since the game wasn't going into overtime anyways...
So 3 points lost.
No. The game that they lost 4-3. box score below:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/boxscore...gid=2011010308

KopitarFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 01:03 AM
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I think the ouch was the bit about how the rebuild has been sold for 4 or 5 years to us fans and that its time to step up in a way that we haven't stepped up yet.
So true... Reason we are where we are is due to prospects turning into legitimate players.... Not due to management team building...
There is no real point in gaining an offensive FA with our current coaching staff.
We lack two players with the proper coach.... We need a second line centre. We need a veteran puck mover on the back end.
No sense in attaining these two players if we have this coaching staff...
We still don't stretch out the D with the no red line but we 80% of the time gain the line and dump and chase... When we run into a trap team... they own us... No strategic differentiation amongst coaching... Blows my mind that Stevens isn't screaming at Murray behind closed doors...
I guess the reason why I quoted JDM is because....we simply can't step up with this strategy and this roster. Bench change would vault this team into the top 6...Management player addition on top would vault this team into a contender...
Murray first...then additions... make it happen Dean.... Or go home yourself

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 12:50 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
So true... Reason we are where we are is due to prospects turning into legitimate players.... Not due to management team building...
There is no real point in gaining an offensive FA with our current coaching staff.
We lack two players with the proper coach.... We need a second line centre. We need a veteran puck mover on the back end.No sense in attaining these two players if we have this coaching staff...
We still don't stretch out the D with the no red line but we 80% of the time gain the line and dump and chase... When we run into a trap team... they own us... No strategic differentiation amongst coaching... Blows my mind that Stevens isn't screaming at Murray behind closed doors...
I guess the reason why I quoted JDM is because....we simply can't step up with this strategy and this roster. Bench change would vault this team into the top 6...Management player addition on top would vault this team into a contender...
Murray first...then additions... make it happen Dean.... Or go home yourself

I think we need a legitimate goalscorer as well. I'm not sold on needing a veteran puck mover on D, that is something I could see us renting at the trade deadline after we get a 2nd line centre and a goalscorer. Come next year, MAYBE Schenn will be that centre we need.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 01:45 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I think we need a legitimate goalscorer as well. I'm not sold on needing a veteran puck mover on D, that is something I could see us renting at the trade deadline after we get a 2nd line centre and a goalscorer. Come next year, MAYBE Schenn will be that centre we need.
If Doughty and Johnson continue to improve and you add in Martinez and possibly Voynov into the mix, the Kings are going to have a lot of mobility on the blueline. That is not counting Hickey who is starting to play better in Manchester.

If they were to add any type of defenseman, I would think it would be a physical veteran dman for insurance in case a vet like Mitchell or Greene gets hurt. Most teams making a serious run for the playoffs make that type of addition (see Chicago acquiring Boynton or Pittsburgh trading for Boucher in previous deadline deals).

Names like Hejda, Rivet or Vandermeer might be some options to consider. All are impending free agents as well, and I would gladly swap Drewiske and a draft pick away for any of those dmen.

While I think Schenn is penciled in as the future #2 C, I don't think they are going to hand him that spot quite yet as he still has to physically and mentally mature to handle the rigors, the ice time and the physical play of the NHL. He'll be going up against bigger bodies and he has to have an injury free offseason and show up to camp in terrific shape.

While it does make a lot of sense for the Kings to upgrade their secondary scoring, in reality, there just aren't many options available to fill that position that would be an improvement over Stoll. Dallas is not going to trade Brad Richards, and if they do, it won't be to LA. So then who is left? Tim Connolly or Vaclav Prospal, and are they that much better than Stoll? I think they're going to have to just stick with who they have down the middle, once Handzus becomes a UFA, Stoll could fill the #3 spot and they can leave the #2 spot open for competition in camp.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 02:12 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I still think Jarkko Ruttu should be a trade target. Finding game breakers and 100 point guys aint happening. Finding grinders and pests who fit into Murray's system in a walk year are easier to find. I'd love to see a guy who gets under other teams skin brought onto the roster.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 02:16 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
If Doughty and Johnson continue to improve and you add in Martinez and possibly Voynov into the mix, the Kings are going to have a lot of mobility on the blueline. That is not counting Hickey who is starting to play better in Manchester.

If they were to add any type of defenseman, I would think it would be a physical veteran dman for insurance in case a vet like Mitchell or Greene gets hurt. Most teams making a serious run for the playoffs make that type of addition (see Chicago acquiring Boynton or Pittsburgh trading for Boucher in previous deadline deals).

Names like Hejda, Rivet or Vandermeer might be some options to consider. All are impending free agents as well, and I would gladly swap Drewiske and a draft pick away for any of those dmen.

While I think Schenn is penciled in as the future #2 C, I don't think they are going to hand him that spot quite yet as he still has to physically and mentally mature to handle the rigors, the ice time and the physical play of the NHL. He'll be going up against bigger bodies and he has to have an injury free offseason and show up to camp in terrific shape.

While it does make a lot of sense for the Kings to upgrade their secondary scoring, in reality, there just aren't many options available to fill that position that would be an improvement over Stoll. Dallas is not going to trade Brad Richards, and if they do, it won't be to LA. So then who is left? Tim Connolly or Vaclav Prospal, and are they that much better than Stoll? I think they're going to have to just stick with who they have down the middle, once Handzus becomes a UFA, Stoll could fill the #3 spot and they can leave the #2 spot open for competition in camp.
My thoughts feel muddled right now.

I am looking around and I don't see a lot of options for a trade unless a significant piece of the youth is going the other way. Then again, great GMs find a way. We have a glaring weakness at LW. Stoll is playing great as a second line C but he is streaky. We know this. We have seen it since he has been here. I am not concerned about next season right now, only this one. This team must make the playoffs. Failure to do so would set it back too far between the ears.

I just vomited that paragraph. Sorry if some got on your shoe.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 02:16 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I still think Jarkko Ruttu should be a trade target. Finding game breakers and 100 point guys aint happening. Finding grinders and pests who fit into Murray's system in a walk year are easier to find. I'd love to see a guy who gets under other teams skin brought onto the roster.
Why?

Old
01-30-2011, 02:19 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Why?
I love pests?

Old
01-30-2011, 02:31 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
I love pests?
pfft

Old
01-30-2011, 02:38 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
I love pests?
As much as I do hate pests, I wouldn't be opposed to this. I think a guy like Ruutu could be useful in the playoffs as a ental. I wouldn't want him all season long, but in the playoffs, he has experence and does play solid in other areas of the game.

That said, anything more than a 4th, and I pass.

Old
01-30-2011, 11:34 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
As much as I do hate pests, I wouldn't be opposed to this. I think a guy like Ruutu could be useful in the playoffs as a ental. I wouldn't want him all season long, but in the playoffs, he has experence and does play solid in other areas of the game.

That said, anything more than a 4th, and I pass.
I looked at his player page on TSN and it says he's currently on IR. I was thinking a 5th rounder for him.

Old
01-30-2011, 11:15 PM
Hollywood

Quote:

First off.... my thoughts are this team will never ever challenge until a new coaching staff reigns.... That said..... Schenn is at minimum 3 years away from being his career max.... 2nd line centre
The actual best target this year seems to be the flyers.... They are screwed in the salary next year.... One of their top 4 has to be available.... If not Nodl or Leino has to be available... They cannot afford the pending increases... If Lombardi does not attempt to take advantage of this, it would blow my mind...
Jeff Carter in a Kings Uniform(my 1st choice) Briere.... Giroux.....
They have to part with one of these guys.... Hartnell can stay where he is at 4.2....
Critics of Dean always say he is after Flyers..... Well, finally we have a use for one.... Let's see if we go after one...
That team in Philly cannot stick together,we have the assets to be able entice them to split it before end of season.... I wonder if Dean actually steps up with an asset that counts.
Look at Philly's est. payroll next year for the doubters.
Also, Philly is one of 28 other teams

Old
01-30-2011, 11:51 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

The Kings could wait for Crosby to become a UFA in 2013...

Old
01-30-2011, 11:59 PM
onlyalad

Quote:
I heard he is good friends with JJ.

Do it Dean

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:04 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyalad View Post
I heard he is good friends with JJ.

Do it Dean
Only if he takes the Deano hometown discount!

Old
01-31-2011, 12:12 AM
Trunz05

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
on TGOR (ottawa sports morning show) just now.

heads up, in case you're interested. I'll post a link here to the interview once the podcast is available.

He didnt want to mention names, but said that in order to take the next step, LA has to be aggressive, and maybe even drive the market this year.

on a side note, pierre ignored my sens question.

edit - link: http://devel.autopod.ca/podcasts/chu...013%20CFGO.mp3

kings stuff is the first question IIRC.
Pierre mcguire is an idiot.

Trunz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:15 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
He's not the right fit

ScoreZeGoals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:17 AM
Hollywood

This was in response to Ziggy`s post
But that would give Dean about 8 years of doing virtually nothing...
29 teams could vie for that... The leafs elected to overpay Phaneuf and Kessel and next year(No kaberle) they will have to overpay other bandaids as they fail further and further...
No team would ever be able to trade for Crosby though... That being said, if there is one team that could in Cash, Picks, Prospects and players it is the Los Angeles Kings... Never has a team given a GM as much of a blank cheque(check) over a 5 year period as LA has given Lombardi...
If ya ask me, he should have milked it more than he did... Why waste money on Handzus and Stoll and Poni? He could have saved a few million and either in April or over the summer launched a massive free agent purge with money and assets... But bandaid solutions brought us away from the savings we made on missing playoffs for numerous years.
THe purge we could have had without bandaids, will not happen... Lombardi, knows something we don`t though.... Blows my mind.
I would be delighted to be awaken by a firing of coaching and management... this would allow fans to rejoice in a change of waiting for prospects to grow into stars(todays only strategy).... But for fans to expect management to seek out stars...
To gain, you sometimes have to pay up for....Calculated gambling has never been a strategy of Lombardi... Again... maybe he knows something that we don`t

Old
01-31-2011, 12:33 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I think this upcoming off-season will be the one summer where Lombardi will be counted on to make a considerable move. He already locked up Johnson. Doughty and Simmonds remain to be signed and I don't foresee that being a problem.

With Williams, Handzus and Ponikarovsky all becoming UFAs, coupled with Sturm and Harrold, the Kings are going to have many holes to fill up front. I don't expect them to internally replace those players should they depart, so I do think and expect Lombardi to be active this summer.

If he fails to deliver, this team is going to be stuck in a rut and Lombardi will continue his legacy of failing to do anything considerable with a team with high expectations and loads of potential (which is exactly what happened in San Jose).

Old
01-31-2011, 12:41 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I wouldn't be surprised to see Moller, Loktionov and Schenn make the team next year.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:50 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see Moller, Loktionov and Schenn make the team next year.
If that does happen, they are going to be a considerably smaller team next season. It is also difficult to pencil in a lineup with so many young players, but I'll take a stab at it. This is assuming that Dean Lombardi is able to re-sign Williams because there isn't a better option that will be available as a UFA this summer.

Loktionov-Kopitar-Brown
Smyth-Schenn-Williams
Clifford-Stoll-Simmonds
Parse-Lewis-Westgarth
Moller

Mitchell-Doughty
Johnson-Scuderi
Martinez-Greene
Drewiske

Quick-Bernier

Looking at that lineup, I could see the Kings suffering the same fate of this season with inconsistent play. They'll be giving up considerable size on the checking line, but I do think a line with Clifford-Stoll-Simmonds can work out. I don't think Moller will be on the fourth line. I could see him being used as a piece to acquire some immediate help.

Team depth will be tested should they decide to let three of their regular forwards walk. They need to have a fourth line that can play and be aggressive and they do need more speed from both ends of the ice. Somehow, I want to see Voynov be given an opportunity to make the team next season.

Old
01-31-2011, 10:38 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
If that does happen, they are going to be a considerably smaller team next season. It is also difficult to pencil in a lineup with so many young players, but I'll take a stab at it. This is assuming that Dean Lombardi is able to re-sign Williams because there isn't a better option that will be available as a UFA this summer.

Loktionov-Kopitar-Brown
Smyth-Schenn-Williams
Clifford-Stoll-Simmonds
Parse-Lewis-Westgarth
Moller

Mitchell-Doughty
Johnson-Scuderi
Martinez-Greene
Drewiske

Quick-Bernier

Looking at that lineup, I could see the Kings suffering the same fate of this season with inconsistent play. They'll be giving up considerable size on the checking line, but I do think a line with Clifford-Stoll-Simmonds can work out. I don't think Moller will be on the fourth line. I could see him being used as a piece to acquire some immediate help.

Team depth will be tested should they decide to let three of their regular forwards walk. They need to have a fourth line that can play and be aggressive and they do need more speed from both ends of the ice. Somehow, I want to see Voynov be given an opportunity to make the team next season.
I think DL will be adding a forward, a premier forward if possible. The line up you posted is fairly accurate, but also reflects the fact we have to many guys pushing their way up and not enough holes for them to go to. Parse on the 4th line, Moller as a scratch, Voynov, Hickey still in the minors, something doesn't add up. I expect a huge trade this off-season, and a draft day deal of our 1st, Parse/Moller and Hickey/Voynov for a top winger seems quite likely, give or take, and we have the depth to add if need be.

Regardless of our stumbles this season, we are expected to be a team to watch next year and DL has about six months to make a move to gear us up for a big push for 2011-2012.