HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Weber's situation

Old
01-23-2011, 11:54 AM
burnabyjoe10

vCash: 500
Weber's situation

Hi all,

I am new to the site so forgive me if this is a topic you have already covered.

Considering Shea Weber will be a restricted free agent at the end of the season and is one of the most complete (yet still, underrated) blueliners in the league, I was wondering what Nashville fans thought their organization should do- ie. test out the market at the trade deadline, or keep him knowing full well that numerous teams will be putting forward offer sheets come July 1st. It's true that they would receive compensation if the latter takes place, but I wonder if it would add up to Weber's worth. From what I understand Nashville knows they won't be able to match any offer made by the bigger market teams- so what do the fans think they should do?

burnabyjoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 12:06 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnabyjoe10 View Post
Hi all,

Considering Shea Weber will be a restricted free agent at the end of the season and is one of the most complete (yet still, underrated) blueliners in the league, I was wondering what Nashville fans thought their organization should do- ie. test out the market at the trade deadline, or keep him knowing full well that numerous teams will be putting forward offer sheets come July 1st. It's true that they would receive compensation if the latter takes place, but I wonder if it would add up to Weber's worth. From what I understand Nashville knows they won't be able to match any offer made by the bigger market teams- so what do the fans think they should do?
*sigh*

Shea Weber will be a member of the Nashville Predator's organization for the foreseeable future. Shea loves playing here. This is his team and Poile has made it clear he is going to do everything to keep Shea in Nashville. Expect Shea to be in Predator's blue for many years to come.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 12:24 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Offer sheets require ultimately that the player sign them, and Weber doesn't appear to want to go anywhere.

I'd say folks aren't too concerned.

(Well, okay, I am, but that's more because I'm a Jackets fan first.)

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:03 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

O this question again.....Shea will be resigned and will be our Captain for some time. And we do have the money to sign Shea, and just because another team offers Weber a deal doesnt mean he will accept it

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:05 PM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
Weber will be a Predator for a looooooongggggg time.

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:26 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Offer sheets are often worried about, but rarely happen and when they do it isn't for the big name RFAs. Niemi was the result of cap hell in Chicago ... beyond him, it's guys like Penner.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 02:59 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Offer sheets are often worried about, but rarely happen and when they do it isn't for the big name RFAs. Niemi was the result of cap hell in Chicago ... beyond him, it's guys like Penner.
vanek's was a pretty big deal....and didn't backes get one from van?

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 03:12 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
vanek's was a pretty big deal....and didn't backes get one from van?
Do the Oilers have the draft picks to make an offer? They are responsible for 40% of the offer sheets signed.

Six total offer sheets signed since the lockout ... yet every summer the hype is that there is an impending flood.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 03:13 PM
Broom of the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnabyjoe10 View Post
Hi all,

Most complete? You sure you aren't talking about Suter? Weber is a great D-man, but I wouldn't call him "one of the most complete blueliners in the league". He does some things very well, other things he could certainly improve upon.

How about re-sign him before the deadline? My bad, forgot this is Nashville. Oh gosh, I just hope we can get some good picks from the offer-sheet. :

Broom of the System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Since the Globe and Mail reports we are at the bare bones minimum of the cap with gas prices being what they are we may forfeit our road games and never leave Nashville. Weber will definitely sign and offer-sheet to play somewhere else we'll take the 3rd round pick since we can't afford to pay him the league minimum. Oh what will we do???????

Expect him to be in a Pred uni for a looooong time.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 04:59 PM
token grinder

is shea weber on jersey shore now? did he hit snooki in the face with a slapshot?

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 05:05 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
is shea weber on jersey shore now? did he hit snooki in the face with a slapshot?
I wish he'd slap shot them all and knock them out with one shot.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 06:12 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Weber is here to stay, as is Suter.

I apologize if many of us seem frustrated by this, but we have been getting questions about this non-stop for the past year, and we know the same thing will happen with Suter next year.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 06:25 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post

I apologize if many of us seem frustrated by this, but we have been getting questions about this non-stop for the past year, and we know the same thing will happen with Suter next year.
Exactly

Ive been thinking of my self coming off as a D bag when I re read some of my posts on Weber or Suter threads. But just as GOPREDS9 said, its been non stop for a year and when I hear people say that we cant afford them both thats what throws me over the edge every time. Were not a struggling team with a struggling fan base anymore. The cap is going up, attendance is going up, the team is going up, almost everything for the Preds is going up. Were going to get Suter and Weber extended no doubt.

Old
01-23-2011, 07:26 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Our attendence numbers have skyrocketed out of nowhere this year. Check out the past four seasons:

2007-2008- 14,910 average
2008-2009- 15,010 average
2009-2010- 14,979 average
2010-2011- 16,000 average

(sources: ESPN, The Sports Network)

Again, I apologize if we come of as frustrated, but this team can afford to sign both, and is only gonna go up from here.

EDIT: Every game this season has had over 14,000 attendence.

Last edited by Top 6 Spaling: 01-23-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old
01-23-2011, 07:41 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Our attendence numbers have skyrocketed out of nowhere this year. Check out the past four seasons:

2007-2008- 14,910 average
2008-2009- 15,010 average
2009-2010- 14,979 average
2010-2011- 16,000 average

(sources: ESPN, The Sports Network)

Again, I apologize if we come of as frustrated, but this team can afford to sign both, and is only gonna go up from here.
And lets not forget to put into account that our arenas full capacity is 17,113

Old
01-23-2011, 11:09 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Quote:

I fully intend to be asking some of those questions. If we can get Suter in union blue, I can finally stop showing up here.

(probably)

Old
01-24-2011, 08:09 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I fully intend to be asking some of those questions. If we can get Suter in union blue, I can finally stop showing up here.

(probably)
Well, i guess that's about as likely as you making the playoffs this year

Old
01-24-2011, 09:20 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post

(probably)
Well then I guess you are a lifer.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Quote:
Well, i guess that's about as likely as you making the playoffs this year
Oh, pshaw. It's at least somewhat feasible for us to make the playoffs. (I think we'd have to go 20-10-4 or something). Be nice.

Old
01-24-2011, 05:05 PM
OpenWheel

I rarely join in about how Weber and Suter are both here to stay, that we're signing them absolutely to long term deals. Because you can almost never say never.

What if Shea (or Suter) gets offered some obscene amount well above market? I'd probably be hoping that Poile wouldn't match it and handicap the team thinking our fans had to have Shea over everything else. I could live with fans around the league saying "see you woulddn't pay to keep your stars!" if it meant that Poile just wasn't as dumb as somebody who overpaid by a lot. If the price was too high I'd expect to see Poile make hay with the picks or with the trade.

All that said, I'm sure we're going to offer Shea and Ryan a top market rate, which will be high. So I think they are much more likely to be here than not. But I could easily see one of them moving on under circumstances that aren't implausible.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 04:29 AM
bullocks

Kypreos on Sportsnet yesterday said he's hearing from some people that Weber would still like to play in a more traditional hockey market.

Anyways, this summer if he only signs for 1 year you'll know weither he wants to stay or go.

bullocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 07:28 AM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullocks View Post
Kypreos on Sportsnet yesterday said he's hearing from some people that Weber would still like to play in a more traditional hockey market.

Anyways, this summer if he only signs for 1 year you'll know weither he wants to stay or go.

as much as I hate to admit it, I am starting to have just a bit of doubt myself.

the people who predicted Weber would already be locked up to a long term extension were obviously mistaken.

I worry that playing on team Canada had an influence on him wanting to play elsewhere.

That said, I still think the most likely outcome is a long term deal here, its just not obviously the lock that it seemed like when he got the C this summer.

but I do not see a 1 year deal happening. I think if Poile knows he cant get him long term then he will be traded. i think Weber and poile are both classy enough that if this is going to happen Weber will tell Poile quietly and give him a list of teams to talk to so poile can get maximum return.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:09 AM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

they trade him, I'm done

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:36 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
as much as I hate to admit it, I am starting to have just a bit of doubt myself.

the people who predicted Weber would already be locked up to a long term extension were obviously mistaken.

I worry that playing on team Canada had an influence on him wanting to play elsewhere.

That said, I still think the most likely outcome is a long term deal here, its just not obviously the lock that it seemed like when he got the C this summer.

but I do not see a 1 year deal happening. I think if Poile knows he cant get him long term then he will be traded. i think Weber and poile are both classy enough that if this is going to happen Weber will tell Poile quietly and give him a list of teams to talk to so poile can get maximum return.
I don't worry about Weber as Shea said even back in December a deal will get done, sounds like their just working out the details with no push on time.

Suter, however, scares me. He's unrestricted.

I hope this summer both are locked up to long term deals.

I won't ever believe anything the Canadian media reports on Nashville after the bashing they gave us.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote