HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Any more deals before deadline??

Old
01-30-2011, 04:13 PM
CodeE

vCash: 500
What about Gervais for another struggling RFA in a change of scenery swap? Every team has their young scapegoat player they're trying to get rid of, and I'm pretty sure the organization has soured on any idea of resigning him in the offseason.

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 04:21 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps527 View Post
I was mostly responding to the need to have a fighter on the team.

Agreed about him not being one dimensional. He's not a goon. But when your (not your's specifically) main reasoning to keeping him around is the fact that he fights than you are treating him as such.
Fair enough, but I got the impression that that poster saw it as a large reason, but not the only reason.

Quote:
I disagree about his physical game though. Z is too slow to be an effective checker. He's the type of guy you think would be better at that aspect of the game but when you watch closely and specifically pay attention to that aspect of the game than you realize that he really doesn't throw around his body effectively.

IMO Z is a dime a dozen 4th liner who becomes a fan favorite because of the **** he says and the passion he plays with. His faceoff skills is his saving grace and its certainly a good asset to have. However there are far better 4th line centers in the league and we would do well to upgrade to one over the summer (one who could preferably play a good pk).
He's not the greatest checker, and his skating does limit this, I agree. But he's still one of the better hitters on the team. I'm not opposed to upgrading on him, and there are better 4th liners in the league. However, most of the better options for 4th line are difficult to come by, since there's no incentive for a team to give up a top 4th liner as the cost to keep them and the potential trade value are both pretty low. Usually they only move if the guy wants too much money or as part of a bigger trade.

Ideally I'd like to see us add a better PKing winger to play with him to improve our PK. Better defensemen would also help. I guess, my point is that the only reasons to move him would be if we acquire a true upgrade on him or a team overpays for his services or it completes a bigger deal. I don't see a lot incentive to start shopping him. And hopefully, someone like Cizikas can be the true upgrade in the future.

Quote:
Regarding MM. He will never fight by appointment imo, with or without another goon on our team
I do think he'd be more likely to do so if there's no Konopka or other heavyweight on the team. Whether he should or not, I can't really argue with you on, but I do think he would.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 04:26 PM
Brunomics

I just hope Z is resigned for one more year, I think after next year he will become expendable with what is coming through the pipeline potentially.

Personally I don't see the Isles making a deal, the type of deal they are looking for isn't conducive to what is usually made at the deadline(unless Martinek goes but I doubt it).

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 05:26 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps527 View Post
I was mostly responding to the need to have a fighter on the team.

Agreed about him not being one dimensional. He's not a goon. But when your (not your's specifically) main reasoning to keeping him around is the fact that he fights than you are treating him as such.

I disagree about his physical game though. Z is too slow to be an effective checker. He's the type of guy you think would be better at that aspect of the game but when you watch closely and specifically pay attention to that aspect of the game than you realize that he really doesn't throw around his body effectively.

IMO Z is a dime a dozen 4th liner who becomes a fan favorite because of the **** he says and the passion he plays with. His faceoff skills is his saving grace and its certainly a good asset to have. However there are far better 4th line centers in the league and we would do well to upgrade to one over the summer (one who could preferably play a good pk).

Regarding MM. He will never fight by appointment imo, with or without another goon on our team
konopka wont rack up the hit counts because he plays center, and the wings are usually the ones that go in on the forecheck while the centers are in the high slot or blueline.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 06:01 PM
ichabod13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Martinek's about 31 yrs old.I think's very unlikely he retires at this point in his career.
i guess "retire" was the wrong word. what i meant was, call it quits in the NHL and go home to play for a few seasons. in essence, retiring from the NHL but not from hockey all together.

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 07:42 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod13 View Post
i guess "retire" was the wrong word. what i meant was, call it quits in the NHL and go home to play for a few seasons. in essence, retiring from the NHL but not from hockey all together.
I believe, as an UFA, he'll give greener pastures within the NHL a (final) shot before returning to Europe. He's been with the Islanders his whole career and surely has enough in the tank to be a solid #6 Dman with a good team. He kind of owes it to himself to seek that, as surely a number of teams that compete would sign him for 1-1.5 million per season for two years.

I keep picturing him in a Dallas uniform.

Ohhh, and now that I mention it, if I were Snow, I'd offer Dallas Martinek, Joensuu and Aaron Ness RIGHT NOW in exchange for Dman Philip Larsen.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote