HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre McGuire on TGOR

Old
01-28-2011, 01:35 PM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredsson View Post
Pierre has said several times that he was wrong about Leclaire. I think he's quick to point out his mistakes as well.
I knew someone would bring that up...yeah, he's done his 'mea culpa' on that one. How could he not, he was so adamant at the time of the trade that the Sens had just acquired their franchise goalie, yet even when he admits he was wrong about that...he only does so because of his injuries.

Either way, that not my main point...i have no issues with McGuire, he knows his stuff obviously and is very well connected. But again, he tries to pass off his opinion as fact quite often, and I dont think people in his position should do that...

You don't know how many times i've had convo's with my friend and they say "well it's true cause McGuire said it on 1200 this morning"...he's really taken this "Pierre knows everything" to heart lol.

As for him becoming the next Sens GM...I don't know, I guess if he's well surrounded, it could be a good hire for Ottawa...but I think if McGuire wants to throw his hat in the right for being a GM in the NHL, he should drop his TSN stchik and try to be an assistant GM or scout for a year or two.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 01:37 PM
enviro61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
He says it every time Leclaire's failure here is mentioned, every time. In sports, no expert is right all the time, it's unpredictable. Pierre knows his stuff.

He studies the game like any other expert from any other field. After he broadcasts a game, he goes back home or hotel and watched 2-3 games. At the airport, he studies statistics and trends. And in between all that he is connected to people in every facet of the game.

I agree, I don't think he has issues when he's wrong. I think he understands that no one in sports will be right all the time. It's the same way a great GM can become a goat in one trade or one new market.
I find the most knowledgable people struggle with humility, regardless of their profession. They are used to being right and while they might acknowledge they are wrong in their more private moments they don't necessarily want to do it publically as that is perceived as weak. Hell, our entire world and marketing system is based on that premise. Show me a political campaign where politicians will flaunt their mistakes.

To extend that to here, I find the most knowledgable posters here will go to great lengths to defend a lost cause and or find excuses for their errors. Seldom if ever will they admit they were wrong. Weird but that's the way it is.

enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 01:49 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

I like Pierre on the radio but on TV he is an annoying dweeb.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 03:08 PM
Skip Sheffield
YEP! YEP! YEP!

I think this is a candidate to be stickied.

I really enjoy Pierre's morning talk, he's a pretty smart guy.

Skip Sheffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 03:14 PM
HappyDude
Fire Cameron

I like it when refers to players as Studs, it sounds so inappropriate.

HappyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 03:37 PM
pt_mck

"Pascal Leclaire will be the best goaltender Ottawa has ever had."

Remind him of that one.

He's pretty two faced sometimes, he'll say one thing on Montreal radio and the complete opposite on Ottawa radio. He tells fan bases what he thinks they want to hear.

pt_mck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 03:41 PM
Penner getrdonebryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt_mck View Post
"Pascal Leclaire will be the best goaltender Ottawa has ever had."

Remind him of that one.
To be fair, Glasscall Plexiclaire didn't have the chance to get into a groove here. He was injured 75% of the time and Clouston really mis-handled the goalie situation the other 25%

Penner getrdonebryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 03:44 PM
bdp

Pierre also thought that Gonchar was one of the top 3 UFA signings of this past summer.

bdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 03:48 PM
Madskillz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Tier View Post
Pierre also thought that Gonchar was one of the top 3 UFA signings of this past summer.
Who didn't? We were all excited finally getting a Quarterback to anchor our powerplay.

Madskillz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 04:55 PM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

vCash: 50
Leclaire, when healthy, has been one of this team's best goalies in recent memory.

He unfortunately didn't get to play much, and Clouston had him on a really short leash last year.

I hate the guy, but when he plays well he's real solid. Best the franchise has ever had? That's stretching it, but amongst the best for sure.

EDIT: well hate is too strong a word. I really don't like the fact that the team traded Vermette for him especially when you consider the fact that he's been injury prone his entire career. The thought that, for some reason, he wouldn't be injury prone in Ottawa was baseless and I knew it from the get go.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 08:59 AM
otown

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
PM is the only thing worth listening to on TGOR, the rest is crap
Absolutely right Matt T.
"Formula radio" with little relevant sports talk until the PM segment. Jungle Jim having a sports take is like Paris Hilton commenting on the Obama administration.
They have lots of work to do to improve. First thing...get rid of the dirty dozen!

otown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 09:40 AM
costermonger
sans classe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
EDIT: well hate is too strong a word. I really don't like the fact that the team traded Vermette for him especially when you consider the fact that he's been injury prone his entire career. The thought that, for some reason, he wouldn't be injury prone in Ottawa was baseless and I knew it from the get go.
I think what led to the idea that it wasn't a lifetime condition for him was that before he came here, he almost never hurt the same thing twice. It really did look - when you checked out his injury history - like he was more unlucky than prone to any particular type of injury.

Now, since he's been here, he's had a career's worth of groin injuries so obviously that thinking was wrong, but his pre-trade and post-trade injury histories give you a very different take on the guy.

costermonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 10:30 AM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Tier View Post
Everyone did. Hell, NHL.com had it as the best UFA signing on July 1st.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 02:27 PM
delchief

Regarding Gonchar, I agree that most people thought it was a great UFA signing. The problem is, I don't want most people GM'ing my team. It's not a position where you are simply a stewart making moves based on popular opinion. I am much more impressed by an analyst who goes against the grain with respect to his peers and then turns out to be right. That said, even Bob McKenzie though Gonchar was a shrewd signing, so I can maybe give PM a pass on that one....

delchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 07:18 PM
HF2002

Just because a guy has a microphone it doesn't mean he'd be a good GM.

I'd love to hear what Ken Holland really thinks on a daily basis without the restrictions of being an actual GM running a team. Or what Jay Feaster is going to do. Or what Cory Clouston really wants to say. Christ, Gary Bettman speaking his mind freely would be worth so much more.

Pierre McGuire is trying to parlay a media personality in the age of social media into a job he isn't qualified for. Seriously, did Steve Yzerman really search out Pierre after the Toronto v. Tampa game so they could talk (Wednesday segment, about 3-4 mins in)? There's no way any GM searches out Pierre Mouthpiece.

How often does he name drop and say "we had a chance to visit" or "we spent some time together"? Wow! When I was 12 I got Steve Yzerman's autograph because we had a chance to visit.

So he knows more than the average fan. That describes every CHL GM and coach, and every NHL scout.

Being an analist for TSN and being married to Scotty Bowman's daughter should land you a GM job?

HF2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 07:40 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF2002 View Post

I'd love to hear what Ken Holland really thinks on a daily basis without the restrictions of being an actual GM running a team. Or what Jay Feaster is going to do. Or what Cory Clouston really wants to say. Christ, Gary Bettman speaking his mind freely would be worth so much more.

Pierre McGuire is trying to parlay a media personality in the age of social media into a job he isn't qualified for. Seriously, did Steve Yzerman really search out Pierre after the Toronto v. Tampa game so they could talk (Wednesday segment, about 3-4 mins in)? There's no way any GM searches out Pierre Mouthpiece.

How often does he name drop and say "we had a chance to visit" or "we spent some time together"? Wow! When I was 12 I got Steve Yzerman's autograph because we had a chance to visit.

So he knows more than the average fan. That describes every CHL GM and coach, and every NHL scout.

Being an analist for TSN and being married to Scotty Bowman's daughter should land you a GM job?
damnit.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 08:08 PM
topshelf15

Quote:

We have a 30 year hockey man that fans think has lost it and needs to be fired ........ and replaced by this guyiam so glad eugine runs the show and not the fans

topshelf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 09:03 PM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by costermonger View Post
I think what led to the idea that it wasn't a lifetime condition for him was that before he came here, he almost never hurt the same thing twice. It really did look - when you checked out his injury history - like he was more unlucky than prone to any particular type of injury.

Now, since he's been here, he's had a career's worth of groin injuries so obviously that thinking was wrong, but his pre-trade and post-trade injury histories give you a very different take on the guy.
I can appreciate that line of thought, but I'd rather keep it simple: the guys has gotten consistently injured throughout his entire career. It's not his fault and no one can really predict that kind of stuff, but for whatever reason the guy can't stay healthy and that much had been true everywhere.
Is it injury or luck? I'd sooner not have taken the chance to find out.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 09:11 PM
albator71

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWhiteBlackGold View Post
No to Howard. He's pretty much the same as Elliott. Slightly better, but will still have Sens fans pulling their hair out with weak goals.
So you're saying that Vokoun never gaves up softies??? That's a huge problem in Ottawa fans wants a goaltender that is perfect all the time.

albator71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 09:46 PM
Senators Growing
Next year again...

vCash: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf15 View Post
We have a 30 year hockey man that fans think has lost it and needs to be fired ........ and replaced by this guyiam so glad eugine runs the show and not the fans
Appeals to authority are only valid when they have substance.
The NHL is an old boy's club and you can stay employed indefinitely by not rocking the boat and being average.

Murray has a good eye for young talent and a silver tongue but has never made a team win the ultimate prize and seems overwhelmed by the salary cap. Not ideal for the current NHL imo.

Senators Growing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 09:54 PM
sens45

Quote:
Better link us up about Pierre having Scotty Bowman as a father-in-law. I have NEVER heard of that...

sens45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 10:08 PM
HF2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens45 View Post
Better link us up about Pierre having Scotty Bowman as a father-in-law. I have NEVER heard of that...
No one cares that you've never heard this before.

HF2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 01:49 AM
sens45

Quote:
No one cares that you've never heard this before.
Fair enough, but could you provide a link? I'd like to see Scotty Bowman mentioned as Pierre's father-in-law. Too funny!

sens45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 07:58 AM
Coco the Monkey*
T-Bone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens45 View Post
Fair enough, but could you provide a link? I'd like to see Scotty Bowman mentioned as Pierre's father-in-law. Too funny!

There is no link because it's NOT TRUE. That guy's just spewing BS.

Coco the Monkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 08:05 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

i'm pretty sure i've heard that too, but there is no confirmation available. I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned by some of his fellow tsn broadcasters, mainly as a joke as to why he got the job in pittsburgh.

also, there was no pierre this morning, he was in the air.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote