HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Football (Soccer)

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2011, 06:57 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
International Football (Soccer)

So, on the same day that Liverpool agree to a fee for Suarez, Torres submits a transfer request. I don't see the club granting it at this late stage.

It could get ugly between him and the fans...

Old
01-28-2011, 10:12 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
So, on the same day that Liverpool agree to a fee for Suarez, Torres submits a transfer request. I don't see the club granting it at this late stage.

It could get ugly between him and the fans...
Rat.

Flat out.

3 days before the transfer window shuts. Let us know earlier.

Get out. If you don't want to be here, you're not bigger than the club.

Old
01-29-2011, 12:53 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Rat.

Flat out.

So....how does that work? Does he have to be transferred?

Old
01-29-2011, 02:34 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Rat.

Flat out.

Oh, no doubt. And it's to another English club too. I'd cut him a little more slack if it was some club like Barca.

I'd set the price at £60 (at least) million plus a prospect and a clause forbidding him to play against Liverpool next week, and I wouldn't budge. Get City involved in the bidding if you need to.

If he'd done this a few weeks ago, they'd be at least able to go after the likes of Dzeko. At this point, what other striker could they go get? Maybe Aguero? But he's not the type to lead the line and wouldn't be a great fit with Suarez. I'd be interested in Carroll, but I seriously doubt Newcastle would throw away a shot at Europe by selling him now. Maybe Benzema is worth a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
So....how does that work? Does he have to be transferred?
Nope. Liverpool have denied his request.

But he'll likely be off in the Summer if he's not sold now. The situation between him and the fans will be completely untenable.

Old
01-29-2011, 07:05 AM
Foy

Torres isn't even what Chelsea need. He's the furthest thing from what Chelsea need.

They are pinching pennies with Benfica over Luiz, but are throwing stupid money at Torres. Just stupid.

Old
01-29-2011, 08:46 AM
pgreene

chelsea and man city are the pre-cap era new york rangers. buy all players possible without regard for need or how/where they fit.

i hate to see torres go, but he really is the alex semin of the epl. decidedly world-stoppingly brilliant for a few matches, then a non-factor (or injured) for the next few.

just saw m. bradley got loaned to villa. three americans there now. the new fulhamerica?

Old
01-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Foy

I'm happy for Bradley. He's incredibly underrated. Hopefully it gets him a little bit more notice amongst mainstream America. Or as mainstream as America gets over soccer.

Old
01-29-2011, 06:35 PM
pgreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
I'm happy for Bradley. He's incredibly underrated. Hopefully it gets him a little bit more notice amongst mainstream America. Or as mainstream as America gets over soccer.
saw a very interesting survey on favorite sports in america. football (predictably) led the way at about 35%, something like 12% was baseball, then college football, then basketball/soccer/hockey all in there at about 5%. those numbers will change in favor of soccer as demographics continue to shift in this country.

bradley is a very good player. hope he gets some time there. epl is a good training ground for central midfielders learning to make quick decisions before their legs get broken...

Old
01-30-2011, 10:43 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Crazy comeback by inter.

Old
01-30-2011, 10:55 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

as for how the transfer works, he placed a transfer request, which basically says "I want to move, and you better let me". Liverpool have since rejected it. The request is his demand to go, and with it, he shows intent by being willing to reject part of the transfer fee, which is given to players who are shipped off. that's a hefty fee in this case (it's usually a few percentages of the sale) though he would probably recoup much of it with a new contract bonus, and increased wages (rumblings that he would go from 110k a week to 200k in pounds of course).

Liverpool have said no, have an iron clad contract for more than 2 seasons (less than two seasons would mean he could buy it out, stamp his feet, and Liverpool might be screwed) but at this point, they probably sell because an unhappy player is effectively worthless.

I'm fine with 45 or so and Anelka/Sturridge. I wish City needed a striker, but if he wants to go, shove off.

As for who they get? At this point, they've got some irons in the fire, but it's unlikely that they could secure an Aguero or another top player.

That's what makes me angry, more so than him wanting to leave, it's the fact that he's doing it with 3 days left in the window (at which point transfers are closed).

On that note, i wouldnt' be surprised if Liverpool complain about Chelski tapping him up. Which means they talked to him before the offer was filed. That's against regulations, though it happens often.

Maybe King Kenny will pull a whiskey nose and do like Ronaldo and tell him he wont' move till summer and to shut up.

Old
01-30-2011, 10:57 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
He won't get a ton of playing time. Their midfield is full. Lots of players who don't play much now. He isn't really underrated. He didn't play a ton in Germany, and I'm not sure he will at Villa.

Back on Chelsea, it's a good move for them. They can repair the squad by throwing money at it, and in the EPL, there isn't much better than Torres (except Drogba/Rooney when they're into it).

Old
01-30-2011, 12:28 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Apparently both Aguero and Llorente have minimum fee release clauses, so there wouldn't need to be any need to negotiate a fee with their clubs, just personal terms. Getting Llorente would be sort of humorous to me, as you'd be replacing Fernando Torres Sanz with Fernando Llorente Torres.

And one additional note on the whole fiasco is that apparently Torres wrote the request before the Suarez transfer, at least partly because he was frustrated with the lack of additions, and his agent submitted after the Suarez transfer was agreed.

So there's potentially a way back in with a large portion of the fans.

Old
01-30-2011, 01:33 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

No, there's no way back. He had to know at least some inkling, and his throwing them under the bus (the fans) at this point is done.

We let Gerrard back (well, some) because he's a Scouser. Torres, not so much.

Both have release clauses, but both are probably for La Liga teams only. Contract situations there maintain that they have to put them in for other Spanish clubs just in case. They don't have to consider them for teams in England.

Old
01-30-2011, 02:16 PM
Foy

Quote:
He won't get a ton of playing time. Their midfield is full. Lots of players who don't play much now. He isn't really underrated. He didn't play a ton in Germany, and I'm not sure he will at Villa.

Back on Chelsea, it's a good move for them. They can repair the squad by throwing money at it, and in the EPL, there isn't much better than Torres (except Drogba/Rooney when they're into it).
Bradley was playing fine at Mongenblack (or however you spell it), but had missed a couple of starts recently as the manager was just trying to throw anything together that worked. Bradley holds the record for most goal in a season by an American at a top tier European club. Hopefully with Ireland moving out of Vista, that'll open up the room Bradley needs to get on the field. He'll at least be amongst familiar American faces there.

As far as Torres, Chelsea would be better pressed spending that money on 2 defenders, or a defender an a speedy winger than on Torres. Nothing against Torres, he just isn't what Chelsea really need. Chelsea would be better off playing Kalou up front more often, and cycling between a 4-headed beast of Kalou/Drogba/Anelka/Malouda. They need help in the midfield since Lampard can't stay healthy. Essien hasn't done anything in the attacking half this year (hasn't scored with his foot yet), and Ramirez has shown he may have potential, just not until he puts on another 15-20 lbs. of muscle.

Old
01-31-2011, 08:08 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Seems Liverpool are hard after Carroll. 3rd best goal scorer in the EPL this season (his first in the league). 6'5" and just turned 22. I wouldn't complain, especially with Suarez playing off of him.

Old
01-31-2011, 10:10 AM
pgreene

Quote:
Seems Liverpool are hard after Carroll. 3rd best goal scorer in the EPL this season (his first in the league). 6'5" and just turned 22. I wouldn't complain, especially with Suarez playing off of him.
According to grant wahl, they got him for about $50 million. Wow.

Old
01-31-2011, 10:38 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
According to grant wahl, they got him for about $50 million. Wow.
Yeah, supposedly they met Newcastle's valuation of 35 million GBP. It's pretty safe to assume Chelsea met the 50 million GBP valuation of Torres.

Old
01-31-2011, 11:41 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Thanks for the transfer info...good stuff.

Old
01-31-2011, 12:32 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Andy Carroll fee has officially been agreed. Rumor is that it's for ~$56 million (35 million GBP).

Still nothing official on Torres to Chelsea.

Edit: Also, Charlie Adam to Liverpool apparently also agreed for ~$19 million (12 million GBP).

Last edited by NobodyBeatsTheWiz: 01-31-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old
01-31-2011, 01:09 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Sell Torres, stop signing players, and get an awesome shortstop and catcher next offseason.

Old
01-31-2011, 01:15 PM
Foy

it would be something if the Torres deal feel through, especially since Liverpool already spent the money.

Old
01-31-2011, 01:39 PM
artilector

50m for Andy Carroll? Nuts..

Old
01-31-2011, 02:43 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Fee agreed with Chelsea for Torres.

It would be all sorts of hilarious if he failed his medical.

Old
01-31-2011, 02:44 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Fee agreed with Chelsea for Torres.

It would be all sorts of hilarious if he failed his medical.
It'd be more hilarious if Torres passed and Andy Carroll failed his.

Old
01-31-2011, 02:59 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

well... we all know that Carroll is hurt right now, so odds are they're not even 100% putting him through it.

Closed Thread