HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs could be interested in Phillips and Kaberle(Per Lebrun)

Old
01-31-2011, 09:08 AM
Andy

vCash: 500
Habs could be interested in Phillips and Kaberle(Per Lebrun)

Bob Mackenzie on 990 this morning...

said Montreal could(not will) but could be interested in Chris Phillips and he said it would be a perfect fit and that Montreal would be a place where Phillips would like to go. He also mentioned that if it would happen(the trade) he could see Montreal wanting to sign Phillips and that it's a possibility given Montreal's proximity to Ottawa.

I also posted in the deadline thread, but though it could be interesting to have it a stand alone thread since people would potentially want to discuss this as a rumor, rather than just fans proposals like the other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
As per Pierre Lebrun on the Hotstove last night. Said he knows for a fact both teams have interest and have inquired about the two Dmen.

Could be interesting since we are both battling for the division top seed!

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Sports/Hoc.../ID=1782461493

Last edited by Andy: 02-06-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 09:10 AM
King Woodballs
**** This Place

vCash: 375
personally I dont want him
we have enough slow old d men
and the Habs are more then a Phillips from being a cup winner

However I am sure other people feel differently

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 09:16 AM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post

Do you watch the game ? Phillips is a very mobile defenseman, he isn't slow at all...

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 09:17 AM
Toro

Quote:

Im not sold on getting Phillips, im still holding out for a powerforward like Iginla. Not sure we need an expensive Dman addition.

Phillips hasn't really impressed me much over the years.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 09:19 AM
buddahsmoka1

He would be a good acquisition for sure. Have not watched him in a while very much, but he has always been a very effective defensemen. Him as a replacement for Spacek at a similar price would make our defense better. Re-sign Markov, Gill, Wiz and Hammer, and trade Spacek, and you have the makings of a very solid defense.

buddahsmoka1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 09:20 AM
FuriousBob

I just hope he won't be expansive.

With Gorges and Markov out of the line up for the playoff I just can't see us go far in playoffs. I wish we weren't buyers this year.

FuriousBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 09:20 AM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
So lets not improve our team, because it won´t magically turn us into a contender right?

You have some tunnel vision man.

buddahsmoka1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 09:21 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
He would be a good acquisition for sure. Have not watched him in a while very much, but he has always been a very effective defensemen. Him as a replacement for Spacek at a similar price would make our defense better. Re-sign Markov, Gill, and Hammer, and trade Spacek, and you have the makings of a very solid defense.
He would definitely shoulder the burden of losing Gorges. Phillips is really underrated defensively. He's a rock. Think Hamrlik reliable(and yes Hamrlik is a very good defensemen despite what people say). Phillips is a minute eater, will help give others like the Wiz and Hamrlik some rest. Also Phillips is great on the PK...we're missing a guy since gorges went down.

Old
01-31-2011, 09:26 AM
Picaroon

vCash: 953
I don't see how this is a bad idea. It would have been nice to get a top six forward, but unfortunately our D is beat up and that's where the money has to go. I think our offense will turn it up a notch through this final stretch.

Picaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 09:26 AM
habfaninvictoria

Philips is one of Ottawa's best assets. They aren't going to let him walk cheaply. They'll want at least a prospect that can step in today and play and a 2nd round pick. To get him today we overpay because the closer the deadline gets the more valuable he becomes to our competition. He's the kind of player that teams want for the playoffs and better teams than us have more depth to play with. (Bos, Wsh)

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 09:30 AM
shutehinside

Like any other trade, it's not just the quality of the player coming to us but what we have to give to get him. I think Phillips is still a VERY srvicable defensman and easily fits into out top 4 right now. Phillips would give us a better defense and help in the PLayoffs IMO.

I'd personally love to see him with the Habs, depending on what we have to give up to get him. I know he's having an off year but so is the entire Ottawa team. I think a change of scenary would do him some good.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 09:30 AM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
Philips is one of Ottawa's best assets. They aren't going to let him walk cheaply. They'll want at least a prospect that can step in today and play and a 2nd round pick. To get him today we overpay because the closer the deadline gets the more valuable he becomes to our competition. He's the kind of player that teams want for the playoffs and better teams than us have more depth to play with. (Bos, Wsh)
not that I want this deal, we have cap space. Something the 2 teams you mentioned do not have.

Old
01-31-2011, 09:35 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Okay lets be fair here.

Bobby Mac said the Habs should be interested in Phillips.

Reasons why I don't think we go after Phillips is:

1.Hes a pending UFA who loves Ottawa, Ottawa wants the best bang for their buck, and for all we know he could go back to Ottawa in the off-season.

2.Gauthier has stated he likes to build for the immediate and future, so a Dman with 2-3 more years makes much more sense.

3.Why would we go after a rental when our D core is absolutely battered, and our Top 6 has a gaping glaring hole in it?

4.CP is 32, and yes he would compliment our system well but so would a bunch of other players. Gauthier likes young, possibly having potential still, type of players 18-28 age range imo.

Those are just a few reasons why I don't think CP would be traded to Montreal.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 09:36 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
I don't think they'll get that much, he is a rental and teams don't pay a lot for rentals not called Hossa or Kovalchuk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
Okay lets be fair here.

Bobby Mac said the Habs should be interested in Phillips.

Reasons why I don't think we go after Phillips is:

1.Hes a pending UFA who loves Ottawa, Ottawa wants the best bang for their buck, and for all we know he could go back to Ottawa in the off-season.

2.Gauthier has stated he likes to build for the immediate and future, so a Dman with 2-3 more years makes much more sense.

3.Why would we go after a rental when our D core is absolutely battered, and our Top 6 has a gaping glaring hole in it?

4.CP is 32, and yes he would compliment our system well but so would a bunch of other players. Gauthier likes young, possibly having potential still, type of players 18-28 age range imo.

Those are just a few reasons why I don't think CP would be traded to Montreal.
If he really wanted to stay in Ottawa he would have signed an extension by now. I can see him as a good fit, especially if we can get him signed for 3-4 years at a reasonable price(4 years 14 mil) as a replacement for Gill who is much slower and struggled to move the puck in transition.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 09:39 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Maybe they won't let him walk cheaply but the OP indicates Montreal is a place Phillips would like to go. If he has a no trade clause, which it appears he does, then Phillips maybe has some control which may limit Ottawa's options.

Going down the stretch I think the Habs organization owes it to the D core and team to get some help. It's been the same players the last two years trying to gut it out through all of the injuries.

Phillips appears to be a very good solution. He's a defensive d-man who can eat minutes.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 09:40 AM
Toro

So does Ottawa want Weber in a package for Phillips? If I was them I would want a young defenceman on the verge of becoming a good regular in the NHL and a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

So what would it take?

I don't think Phillips is good enough to justify giving up all our remainding cap space now. If we wait till the deadline we will have enough to acquire a guy like Iginla.

I think we should wait and see how our young D (Weber,Subban) play till then. Im not worried about Hammer Spacek and Gill come playoff time. They are warriors and will be there. If Weber and Subban can elevate their game down the stretch, I think were good there. Maybe upgrade Picard(7th D) to a good cheap aging vet at the deadline. and Acquire Iginla or someone like that(there is no one else like that though).

Last edited by Toro: 01-31-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old
01-31-2011, 09:42 AM
Patty Roy

I think Ottawa has to look at upgrading their forward depth.

A Sens fan on the main board suggested Palushaj and a conditional 2nd/3rd in 2012 (2nd if Phillips signs in Mtl, 3rd if he doesnt). I think that's fair value and likely in the ballpark of what the Sens can expect in return for Phillips.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 09:43 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Maybe they would like Picard back.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 09:45 AM
Andy

Imagine

Hamrlik Wizniewski
Spacek Phillips
Gill Subban

a lot more solid than what we have now considering we all know how good Spacek has been since being put back on his right side.

Old
01-31-2011, 09:45 AM
OpenIceHit

vCash: 677
I would much rather go after Regher...

just sayin

OpenIceHit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 09:48 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
I would much rather go after Regher...

just sayin
Mackenzie spoke about that. He said it probably cost too much and he doesn't think Calgary would part with him.

Old
01-31-2011, 09:55 AM
King Woodballs
**** This Place

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
So lets not improve our team, because it won´t magically turn us into a contender right?

You have some tunnel vision man.
yeah because getting another dman is the cup winning answer when this team cant score goals

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 09:57 AM
Andy

Quote:
yeah because getting another dman is the cup winning answer when this team cant score goals
So let's get a goal scorer and leave the defense as is for the playoffs, that will pay off well.

One goal scorer won't make the difference that we need. But one solid defensemen may make more of an impact considering we are already of the best teams for allowing goals in the league. It'll compliment our lack of scoring well.

Old
01-31-2011, 09:58 AM

Have you guys watched Phillips the last few years? More specifically, this year? He's not the defensive stalwart he was 3 or 4 years ago, his career and performance is trending downwards IMO and I think the cost of acquiring him might be a little high.

I wouldn't be a big fan of acquiring him to tell you guys the truth...not at the deadline at least. This summer as a potential UFA (at the right price) he could be an option though...

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:03 AM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 50
Subban - Philipps could be a good pair.

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote