HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs could be interested in Phillips and Kaberle(Per Lebrun)

Old
01-31-2011, 11:06 AM
MTL-rules

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
I think Ottawa has to look at upgrading their forward depth.

A Sens fan on the main board suggested Palushaj and a conditional 2nd/3rd in 2012 (2nd if Phillips signs in Mtl, 3rd if he doesnt). I think that's fair value and likely in the ballpark of what the Sens can expect in return for Phillips.
Replace Palushaj with Maxwell and we have a deal !

...I doubt they'll get much in return for him, he has a NTC and I don't think he'll waive it for anybody but the habs.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubaka View Post
Subban - Phillips could be a good pair.
Subban - Phillips isn't all that much different than Subban - Gill

I know Phillips is a 'better' dman than Gill...but they're essentially the same type of players.

Defense first type of dmen, who bring next to nothing offensively and despite being big physical specimen, don't play nearly physical enough.

I'd be interested in Phillips is the Habs didn't already have Gill/Spacek...but they already have 'Phillips' type of dman on the roster...this would be overkill.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:07 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
I would much rather go after Regher...

just sayin
You have to take the price into consideration.

If you can get Phillips for a 2nd rounder(or similar value) and Reghr costs LeBlanc and a 1st rounder would we not be better off going after Phillips?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:12 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

If we don't re-sign the guy there's no point in giving anything for him.We have no shot at the cup.It's ridiculous if we give up something medium for him.If we have the potential to sign him , go ahead , but the guy is not what he used to be.Phillips is better than Regehr though ( at this point in their career imo Regehr is getting slow as a turtle )

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:15 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Subban - Phillips isn't all that much different than Subban - Gill

I know Phillips is a 'better' dman than Gill...but they're essentially the same type of players.

Defense first type of dmen, who bring next to nothing offensively and despite being big physical specimen, don't play nearly physical enough.

I'd be interested in Phillips is the Habs didn't already have Gill/Spacek...but they already have 'Phillips' type of dman on the roster...this would be overkill.
The biggest difference between Phillips and Gill is mobility. Phillips is a good skater and good footwork for a guy 6'3" 220lbs much like O'byrne. Gill struggles against teams with speed like Phillie and Pittsburgh. He's also more able to move the puck and chip in some offense, he's averaged 5-6 goals and 20 or more points almost every year in the NHL.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:17 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I always like Phillips and this year is a really though one for him and the rest of the Senators, I'd be all over a deal that would bring him here. Get it done PG and sign him to an extension, he would be great replacing Hamrlik for a couple of years and making less money

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:18 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Have you guys watched Phillips the last few years? More specifically, this year? He's not the defensive stalwart he was 3 or 4 years ago, his career and performance is trending downwards IMO and I think the cost of acquiring him might be a little high.

I wouldn't be a big fan of acquiring him to tell you guys the truth...not at the deadline at least. This summer as a potential UFA (at the right price) he could be an option though...
Yeah I tend to agree. Phillips is having a pretty bad year, but so is everyone in Ottawa, so it makes it kind of hard to tell if it's an indication of his play declining or just an effect of being on a terrible team. I wouldn't give up a lot to get him, personally.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The biggest difference between Phillips and Gill is mobility. Phillips is a good skater and good footwork for a guy 6'3" 220lbs much like O'byrne. Gill struggles against teams with speed like Phillie and Pittsburgh. He's also more able to move the puck and chip in some offense, he's averaged 5-6 goals and 20 or more points almost every year in the NHL.
I don't think Phillips is nearly as mobile as he used to be...I watch him quite a bit. Again, i'd have no problem with Phillips, but it would depend on the cost to acquire him and also, it would have to mean that one of Spacek/Gill had to go as well...

Old
01-31-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Yeah I tend to agree. Phillips is having a pretty bad year, but so is everyone in Ottawa, so it makes it kind of hard to tell if it's an indication of his play declining or just an effect of being on a terrible team. I wouldn't give up a lot to get him, personally.
I think it's a bit of both...and for that reason, I think any team acquiring Chris Phillips should be very cautious. If you're expecting the Chris Phillips of 3 or 4 years ago, the guy who could skate, hit, block shots and shut down opposing forwards with ease, then you're going to be disapointed because he's not that same type of player today.

Doesn't mean he can't help...just it's important to realize what type of player he is today and will be going forward.

Old
01-31-2011, 11:29 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
I don't think Phillips is nearly as mobile as he used to be...I watch him quite a bit. Again, i'd have no problem with Phillips, but it would depend on the cost to acquire him and also, it would have to mean that one of Spacek/Gill had to go as well...
I assume you mean in the off-season? Or is Phillips that redundant?

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
I assume you mean in the off-season? Or is Phillips that redundant?
I mean that if Phillips is acquire this year, before the deadline...one of Spacek or Gill would have to go, IMO.

Old
01-31-2011, 11:45 AM
neofury*

Only reason I say no is because Iginla will be a hab by deadline

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:50 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
I mean that if Phillips is acquire this year, before the deadline...one of Spacek or Gill would have to go, IMO.
Interesting. I'll take your word for it, as although I have heard his game has regressed I haven't seen enough of him myself to determine by how much.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
Interesting. I'll take your word for it, as although I have heard his game has regressed I haven't seen enough of him myself to determine by how much.
Again, its not that I think he's a bad player or couldn't help...it's just that I don't think giving up future assets is wise for a player who I don't think will make a difference on the Habs moreso than what other similar players the Habs currently do (Spacek/Hamrlik/Gill).

Plus with him being a free agent...I would hate for the habs to, let's say for example...trade Danny Kristo + a 3rd round pick for Phillips.

Habs get eliminated in the 1st or 2nd round...Phillips re-signs in Ottawa and 2 or 3 years from now, i'm watching Danny Kristo skate up and down right wing in Ottawa...

Non merci...

Old
01-31-2011, 12:07 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
yeah because getting another dman is the cup winning answer when this team cant score goals
Why does it have to be always about winning the cup? That was the whole point of the post.

We have 4, yes count them, 4 UFA defensemen this summer, and one RFA. Searching for viable replacements and improving the defense corps is crucial, both to this year and the next. Its not always about `this year` its about having a direction for the club and improving continually.

Our system is based on goaltending and a strong defensive corps, so it would make sense to address that, particularly because it is in question for next season. If you see the right move to improve the depth on forward, you do it, but its not the end of the world if you donīt. Offense is much easier to address, both within the organization and by other avenues.

If you can acquire Phillips for cheap, resign Wiz, Hammer and Markov. Flip Weber and Spacek for picks or forwards. Then you have something nice to work with for next year.

Phillips
Markov
Wiz
Hammer
Gorges
Subban

That is good corps going forward. Then you can add some pieces up front and you DO HAVE A SHOT AT THE CUP, like you are so fixated on.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:09 PM
EJsens1

Quote:
I think it's a bit of both...and for that reason, I think any team acquiring Chris Phillips should be very cautious. If you're expecting the Chris Phillips of 3 or 4 years ago, the guy who could skate, hit, block shots and shut down opposing forwards with ease, then you're going to be disapointed because he's not that same type of player today.

Doesn't mean he can't help...just it's important to realize what type of player he is today and will be going forward.
Cautious? That's an odd word to use describing Phillips. I'll agree that he isn't as good as he was from age 25-30, but most players aren't and I think most realize that. If you look at Phillips' numbers they have been pretty consistent for years. Now all of sudden, his numbers drop so much? We can contribute it partially to the loss of Volcehnkov, but you know full well that Ottawa's numbers for every player have plummeted for every player. What are the odds that 20 guys have down years? It's virtually impossible. It's coaching and the fact we have the worst goaltending in the NHL aren't helping Phillips' +/- either.
Are you getting the best Chris Phillips? Probably not, but I don't see how adding a guy who wears his heart on his sleeve, will give you 20+ minutes a night against the oppositions top 2 lines, elevate his playoff play like he has done so many times and step into the dressing room and have the respect of every player on the team being coined as a "cautious" move. Unreal.

EJsens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:13 PM
neofury*

I know he's an Ottawa homer but for the most part he is right. Still I just think the better direction for this team in spending assets is for a guy like Iginla who will allow us to score. Why trade assets for Phillips when not only is he UFA in a bit but so is Kaberle etc.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sampollock

not sure if he is tough enough.

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pleky Roks

We don't need Phillips.....we need a top 6 forward with skill, size and toughness.

Dustin Penner
Jarome Iginla
Scott Hartnell

Those are the type of players the Habs need to go after. We need good players that can open up the ice for our smaller forwards. If we don't go after a player like that, then I hope we don't go after anybody, because we don't need defencemen right now.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:15 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Don't really like Phillips...

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:17 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I wouldn't trade for Phillips at the deadline, as the price tag would be too high.

But I'd definitely offer him a contract comes July 1st though, to replace Hamrlik.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:18 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

The problem with Philipps is that what he's really at right now, I suspect the Sens to think that he should have a greater value....add the "within division" aspect, and his value is again a little higher.

So I don't have a problem with Philipps but with his value....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:18 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I wouldn't trade for Phillips at the deadline, as the price tag would be too high.

But I'd definitely offer him a contract comes July 1st though, to replace Hamrlik.
How much could it possibly cost, I mean the guy will be an UFA at season end, he is having a terrible and year and in 50gp has 3 points(3 assists)

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:21 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
How much could it possibly cost, I mean the guy will be an UFA at season end, he is having a terrible and year and in 50gp has 3 points(3 assists)
A team like the Sens who might have no choice but to start over will always bet that his players have more value than their actual play on the ice. He might end up dying with him....so be it....but for them, I don't believe there's actually no gain in getting nothing about of a name like Philipps. Yes, he is UFA, but there's nothing that suggest that he doesn't want to re-sign there.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:24 PM
TheBuriedHab

I'd take Philips if the price isn't to rich. But I was listening to Bob and it was more of a hypothetical, he didn't have any info on whether or not montreal did have interest in philips.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote