HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Forbort what would you want for him?

Old
01-31-2011, 11:38 AM
rockinghockey

vCash: 500
Forbort what would you want for him?

Edm needs some dmen prospects with up side.

What would you want for him?

I know that your team needs scoring and we have Penner and Hemsky so what would a realistic package be?

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:44 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Edm needs some dmen prospects with up side.

What would you want for him?

I know that your team needs scoring and we have Penner and Hemsky so what would a realistic package be?
We'll take Eberle and give you Forbort +, how does that sound?

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:50 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I would consider Penner for him, straight up.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:56 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Hickey and a pick or nothing. The cheeseburgler can stay far away from L.A.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:06 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
It would be a Cammalleri deal, except in our favor this time. A 30 goal scorer, that fills a hole we desperately need filled, for a mid first round pick. Forbort is a good kid, but he is a project, he was easy to take with the defensive depth we already have because he is a guy that can simmer on the backburner for a long time and probably will develop into a top 4 guy without any effort, but he may not see the NHL for another 4+ years...

He is a blend of Jack Johnson and Colten Teubert, he has Teubert's size, but a little more of Johnson's offensive prowess, he just doesn't have the mean streak both of them have, and he only has a mild amount of each skill, he is a blended two way defenseman, but he is going to inherit Teubert's development time and Johnson's desire to play collegiate hockey, he may be spending several years or more in college hockey alone, and he won't have an instant step available for him to go straight into the lineup like Johnson did, he will end up having to play up through the pros as well - he is a long way away....

We need help now, and we are pretty set on defense. It only makes sense. Penner is a good fit for this team, he is big, plays with an edge, he has a nose for the net, and he is signed to a reasonable contract. There is no way Dean Lombardi hangs up the phone if the Oilers were willing to part him just for Forbort.

Old
01-31-2011, 12:19 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Doesn't it make more sense to move some current depth as opposed to someone that won't be ready until 2014 or so? Prospect pools need constant refreshing. We have depth now, move some of it. You absolutely have to keep the future in mind.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:23 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
It would be a Cammalleri deal, except in our favor this time. A 30 goal scorer, that fills a hole we desperately need filled, for a mid first round pick. Forbort is a good kid, but he is a project, he was easy to take with the defensive depth we already have because he is a guy that can simmer on the backburner for a long time and probably will develop into a top 4 guy without any effort, but he may not see the NHL for another 4+ years...

He is a blend of Jack Johnson and Colten Teubert, he has Teubert's size, but a little more of Johnson's offensive prowess, he just doesn't have the mean streak both of them have, and he only has a mild amount of each skill, he is a blended two way defenseman, but he is going to inherit Teubert's development time and Johnson's desire to play collegiate hockey, he may be spending several years or more in college hockey alone, and he won't have an instant step available for him to go straight into the lineup like Johnson did, he will end up having to play up through the pros as well - he is a long way away....

We need help now, and we are pretty set on defense. It only makes sense. Penner is a good fit for this team, he is big, plays with an edge, he has a nose for the net, and he is signed to a reasonable contract. There is no way Dean Lombardi hangs up the phone if the Oilers were willing to part him just for Forbort.
Penner has scored 30 once.

Old
01-31-2011, 12:36 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Doesn't it make more sense to move some current depth as opposed to someone that won't be ready until 2014 or so? Prospect pools need constant refreshing. We have depth now, move some of it. You absolutely have to keep the future in mind.
I tend to agree. The prospects need to be layered so the reenforcements arrive in waves and not all at once.

If you deal now, you deal Muzzin, Martinez or Voynov, not Forbort. As well as Martinez has played, it sounds like Voynov might be the better player.

Old
01-31-2011, 12:37 PM
kingpest19

Quote:

I see this all the time and while it makes sense, you have to look at his issues whether perceived or real and how that will go over with the coaching staff.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:38 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Our defenseman our all very young and we have players in the system that fill similar roles to Forbort, they are just not projected to fill those roles as well, but you have to give to get and Forbort for Penner would be a steal on our part. We have defensemen to spare and Penner would fill our greatest need right now. Who is to say that Penner won't still be here in 2014?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Penner has scored 30 once.
And he scored 29 on a different team. He can score goals, is young, and fits the system. He is easily worth a mid first round pick, especially one that is half a decade away from making an impact.

Old
01-31-2011, 12:40 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
I see this all the time and while it makes sense, you have to look at his issues whether perceived or real and how that will go over with the coaching staff.
Terry Murray doesn't have a say in what Dean Lombardi does. Dean may talk with him time to time to get his input, but if there is a deal to strike, Dean will make it, regardless of what Murray thinks of the player or how well they would interact. Penner fits the bill when it comes to a Lombardi player, and that's all that matters.

Old
01-31-2011, 12:52 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
We'll take Eberle and give you Forbort +, how does that sound?
Lets be realistic on this one, we are rebuilding and Eberle is part of that rebuild, you've made enough post on here to know that you don't give a player like that up in a rebuild. That is like saying when your team rebuilt you traded away Kopitar or DD.
You just don't do that.

Old
01-31-2011, 12:52 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Terry Murray doesn't have a say in what Dean Lombardi does. Dean may talk with him time to time to get his input, but if there is a deal to strike, Dean will make it, regardless of what Murray thinks of the player or how well they would interact. Penner fits the bill when it comes to a Lombardi player, and that's all that matters.
I understand Murray may not have a say yet at the same time Penners issues are very similar to Frolov's and we see how that turned out. And if Frolov wasnt a DL type of player with the same issues as Penner what makes Penner a DL type of player?

Old
01-31-2011, 12:54 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
You don't watch Penner much do you. The guy is huge and he does not go full out during each shift as he is just too big for that. When he needs the burst of speed he has it. He is also a beast on the puck and in front of the net. He never gets injured to add to it. Sorry to say but we are not interested in Hickey and if that is all you are willing to give then you guys will not be getting a top 6 winger and probally won't make the playoffs, but I guess you as fans are ok with that.

Old
01-31-2011, 12:56 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
I understand Murray may not have a say yet at the same time Penners issues are very similar to Frolov's and we see how that turned out. And if Frolov wasnt a DL type of player with the same issues as Penner what makes Penner a DL type of player?
Penner is very responsible defensively, he always has been. If Penner can get 25+ goals on a team like Edm what can he get playing with Kopitar, guarentee you it will be a minimum of 30 goals and as high as the high 30's.

Old
01-31-2011, 12:59 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Penner is very responsible defensively, he always has been. If Penner can get 25+ goals on a team like Edm what can he get playing with Kopitar, guarentee you it will be a minimum of 30 goals and as high as the high 30's.
The defensive responsibility isnt the issue. Frolov was defensively responsible as well. They both have issues with inconsistency, hustle, work ethic.

Much like his stats were guaranteed to go up this year because the team was adding young talent? Or much like Heatley was guaranteed to score 50+ playing alongside Thornton?

Old
01-31-2011, 12:59 PM
rockinghockey

So, Forbort would be a start for Penner, would there be a + in there from LA, like a 1st or Toffoli

Old
01-31-2011, 01:07 PM
lumbergh

Quote:
So, Forbort would be a start for Penner, would there be a + in there from LA, like a 1st or Toffoli
That's basically 2 first round picks for 3 months of Penner. Hmm...NO.

lumbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 01:09 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
If it takes more than Hickey to get Penner, I'll pass.

Old
01-31-2011, 01:13 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:

I wouldn't. Forbort projects as a #1/#2 defenseman, maybe the next Adam Foote.

If we're talking Penner & Forbort, it should look like.....

To LAK: Penner & 2nd round pick in 2011

To EDM: Forbort

Of course, I'm not averse to helping Edmonton build up their D prospects, so long as their 1st rounder is in the mix.....

To LAK: Penner & 1st round pick in 2011 (likely a top-3 pick), 3rd round pick in 2012

To EDM: Forbort, Teubert, & Hickey

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 01:41 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

You guys are overestimating Forbort. Just because his ceiling is Adam Foote doesn't translate in Foote's value going into a trade. Ironically, I would have to side with the Edmonton fans in this deal. I don't think I would add a first, maybe a second. Forbort + 2nd round pick in 2011 for Penner. It is a proven player against prospects here, have to pay out.

Penner has playoff experience, has a ring, is resilient and plays 80+ games, and I believe he can be a 30 goal scorer on Kopitar's wing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbergh View Post
He is signed, he won't be a UFA this offseason, though I agree with you, Toffoli is needed in the near future, I wouldn't give him up, I would counter with another defensive prospect or draft pick.

Old
01-31-2011, 01:44 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbergh View Post
Penner isn't a UFA 'til 2013, so 3 months and 1 year, But I'd say NO to that Deal also, NO WAY do we give up Toffoli or a 1st ... and I don't really want to give up on Forbort either.

I could see Teubert and either Hickey /or Voynov (/or Martinez if they want an NHL ready player ?) for Penner + a 2nd maybe though ? And while that's still 2 former 1st Rnd picks, I'm not sure the Kings will have the room for all the current D prospects, Forbort I'd consider part of that NEXT wave. Teubert may take as long as Forbort to pan out, but has the upside the OP wanted, Hickey the same, Voynov could step into the Oilers lineup today IMO, and if the Kings don't find room for him soon may bolt back to Russia anyways.

Last edited by Puck U: 01-31-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 02:18 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Our defenseman our all very young and we have players in the system that fill similar roles to Forbort, they are just not projected to fill those roles as well, but you have to give to get and Forbort for Penner would be a steal on our part. We have defensemen to spare and Penner would fill our greatest need right now. Who is to say that Penner won't still be here in 2014?

And he scored 29 on a different team. He can score goals, is young, and fits the system. He is easily worth a mid first round pick, especially one that is half a decade away from making an impact.
He's only passed the 50 point mark once in his career. He's also slow. I'd prefer a winger with more skill.

If people around here aren't happy with Smyth, they sure as hell won't be happy with Penner.

I'd rather take a risk on Hemsky.

Regardless, DL is on stand by until he sees how Loktionov works out.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 02:25 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

1. Derek Forbort is not another Colten Teubert. This kid has a ridiculously high ceiling. I would be very worried about trading this guy away.

2. Edmonton isn't trading Penner for Hickey. Hickey gets talked about on here only because of where he was drafted. He is not going to fetch a 30 goal scorer.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 02:31 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
1. Derek Forbort is not another Colten Teubert. This kid has a ridiculously high ceiling. I would be very worried about trading this guy away.

2. Edmonton isn't trading Penner for Hickey. Hickey gets talked about on here only because of where he was drafted. He is not going to fetch a 30 goal scorer.
And Penner isn't REALLY a consistent 30 goal scorer, is he.

Agree with you on Forbort though. If the Kings are moving a young defenseman, I prefer it be one of Martinez, Hickey, or Muzzin.