HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs could be interested in Phillips and Kaberle(Per Lebrun)

Old
01-31-2011, 11:25 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
A team like the Sens who might have no choice but to start over will always bet that his players have more value than their actual play on the ice. He might end up dying with him....so be it....but for them, I don't believe there's actually no gain in getting nothing about of a name like Philipps. Yes, he is UFA, but there's nothing that suggest that he doesn't want to re-sign there.
For sure he might wanna stay, but at 33 does he wanna be part of a rebuilding process of 3-4 years which takes him pretty much to retirement?

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:25 AM
habsjunkie2*

I like Phillips as a player, but don't believe we have the prospect depth to continually trade picks and prospects for rental players that are very much unlikely to put us over the top. I hope PG stands pat.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:31 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Why does it have to be always about winning the cup? That was the whole point of the post.

We have 4, yes count them, 4 UFA defensemen this summer, and one RFA. Searching for viable replacements and improving the defense corps is crucial, both to this year and the next. Its not always about `this year` its about having a direction for the club and improving continually.

Our system is based on goaltending and a strong defensive corps, so it would make sense to address that, particularly because it is in question for next season. If you see the right move to improve the depth on forward, you do it, but its not the end of the world if you don´t. Offense is much easier to address, both within the organization and by other avenues.

If you can acquire Phillips for cheap, resign Wiz, Hammer and Markov. Flip Weber and Spacek for picks or forwards. Then you have something nice to work with for next year.

Phillips
Markov
Wiz
Hammer
Gorges
Subban

That is good corps going forward. Then you can add some pieces up front and you DO HAVE A SHOT AT THE CUP, like you are so fixated on.
So to solve our problems you suggest giving up assets for an UFA. Is the idea to improve or the future, or just for right now? Giving up young, cheap propects and future draft choices to get a chance to sign a guy we could sign for no charge at seasons end is a no for me.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:34 AM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
So to solve our problems you suggest giving up assets for an UFA. Is the idea to improve or the future, or just for right now? Giving up young, cheap propects and future draft choices to get a chance to sign a guy we could sign for no charge at seasons end is a no for me.
Obviously you make the proper evaluation of assets it will cost, and the probability of re-signing him before making the trade...

People here take assets way too seriously. They are just coinfips man, Phillips is the real deal.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:35 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
How much could it possibly cost, I mean the guy will be an UFA at season end, he is having a terrible and year and in 50gp has 3 points(3 assists)
I really don't know how much he would cost, but as shown in recent trade deadline deals, the price highly surpasses the value when desperation kicks in and betting wars take place amongst team looking to bolster their line-up for a playoffs' run.

That's why I'd rather wait to this summer personally, and keep our good young assets to try landing a true star player who might become available this summer through trade or free agency.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven Morehead View Post
Cautious? That's an odd word to use describing Phillips. I'll agree that he isn't as good as he was from age 25-30, but most players aren't and I think most realize that. If you look at Phillips' numbers they have been pretty consistent for years. Now all of sudden, his numbers drop so much? We can contribute it partially to the loss of Volcehnkov, but you know full well that Ottawa's numbers for every player have plummeted for every player. What are the odds that 20 guys have down years? It's virtually impossible. It's coaching and the fact we have the worst goaltending in the NHL aren't helping Phillips' +/- either.
Are you getting the best Chris Phillips? Probably not, but I don't see how adding a guy who wears his heart on his sleeve, will give you 20+ minutes a night against the oppositions top 2 lines, elevate his playoff play like he has done so many times and step into the dressing room and have the respect of every player on the team being coined as a "cautious" move. Unreal.
I didn't use that word to describe him...I said i'd be very cautious about trading future assets for Chris Phillips.

Specifically, in the Habs situation...I don't think Phillips brings anything the Habs don't currently have in Hamrlik/Spacek/Gill.

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:37 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Obviously you make the proper evaluation of assets it will cost, and the probability of re-signing him before making the trade...

People here take assets way too seriously. They are just coinfips man, Phillips is the real deal.
I agree, wonder if people regret giving a 2nd for Wiz who has helped us so much compared to that pick who might never even play in the NHL

Old
01-31-2011, 11:38 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Phillips game seems like it has fallen back this season. He's 33 but has a lot of high mileage on him. He comes from bloodlines with a lot of medical problems. I would probably pass on Phillips. It will cost about our top pick to get him and he looks to be on down side of his career. Plus, locking him up long term will cost major money.

I just feel there are better options out there. No way I would move the our pick for Phillips. Last 3 drafts we drafted around 20th overall, we did pretty good, Pacioretty, Leblanc, Tinordi. We traded our top pick before and struck-out badly ie Tanguay or Linden.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:40 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I really don't know how much he would cost, but as shown in recent trade deadline deals, the price highly surpasses the value when desperation kicks in and betting wars take place amongst team looking to bolster their line-up for a playoffs' run.

That's why I'd rather wait to this summer personally, and keep our good young assets to try landing a true star player who might become available this summer through trade or free agency.
So the assets you're referring too would be traded this summer instead of deadline? One way or another we gotta trade some young players/picks in order to obtain some quality players

As for UFA you gotta always add a bit more money to bring them here

Old
01-31-2011, 11:43 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
I agree, wonder if people regret giving a 2nd for Wiz who has helped us so much compared to that pick who might never even play in the NHL
To be fair, that pick could also turn into a PK Subban.

There needs to be a balance. Only Spacek and Subban are under contract for next year and two of our UFA defensemen just had major knee surgery. It's all fine and dandy to trade a second pick for Wiz, but to give more young assets for yet another rental might just not be what the doctor ordered.

Old
01-31-2011, 11:44 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
So the assets you're referring too would be traded this summer instead of deadline? One way or another we gotta trade some young players/picks in order to obtain some quality players

As for UFA you gotta always add a bit more money to bring them here
But you'd trade for someone under contract though, something that's guaranteed. You know what I mean?

Old
01-31-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Agreed...but there's a difference. The Wiz brought an offensive dimension the Habs really lacked, good 1st pass, great point shot and great offensive instincts from the back end.

But what does Phillips bring that Hamrlik/Spacek/Gill already don't? Why pay a premium for something you already have?

Old
01-31-2011, 11:45 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I know he's an Ottawa homer but for the most part he is right. Still I just think the better direction for this team in spending assets is for a guy like Iginla who will allow us to score. Why trade assets for Phillips when not only is he UFA in a bit but so is Kaberle etc.
Philips might be available, Iginla won't... so what's the point ?

MTL-rules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:46 AM
guest1467

Quote:
Or that second we used for Moore last season. Or the second and Balej we used to get Kovalev. There are so many examples where small assets were used to pay big dividends for the club.

The chances of drafting an impact player or your prospect pans out are much much lower than the chances the trade doesn´t benefit your team in the short or long term.

You protect the prospects you think are going to be helpful, and trade the ones(and picks) for players that are going to make a bigger impact than those assets.

Old
01-31-2011, 11:46 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
But you'd trade for someone under contract though, something that's guaranteed. You know what I mean?
For sure but you're still getting rid of prospects. Look at the Gomez deal, yeah we got him for 5 years but also cost us some young players. All depends who is coming back, it's gotta be worth it in order to pull the trigger.

As for Phillips let's just say it would take a Boyd, Palushaj or Maxwell type of player you wouldn't make that deal even if it's only for a rental?

Old
01-31-2011, 11:49 AM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Agreed...but there's a difference. The Wiz brought an offensive dimension the Habs really lacked, good 1st pass, great point shot and great offensive instincts from the back end.

But what does Phillips bring that Hamrlik/Spacek/Gill already don't? Why pay a premium for something you already have?
Pushes Weber out of the lineup, and moves Spacek to the bottom of the heap. Making a much more effective and deeper defense corps, which is crucial in the playoffs.

I am not saying that its the best option out there, I dont even have an idea what is avaiable, but that doesnt mean it wouldnt be a good acquistion.

Quote:
For sure but you're still getting rid of prospects. Look at the Gomez deal, yeah we got him for 5 years but also cost us some young players. All depends who is coming back, it's gotta be worth it in order to pull the trigger.

As for Phillips let's just say it would take a Boyd, Palushaj or Maxwell type of player you wouldn't make that deal even if it's only for a rental?
I would trade Maxwell for Phillips in a heartbeat.

Old
01-31-2011, 11:52 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post

Reason I bring him in is also to extend him. He would take over and I'd let Hamrlik walk after this season. Also right now if the playoffs started today either Weber or Picard is in the lineup, so I guess your ok with that. I would personally have Phillips in there instead of those 2 and next year give that real shot to Weber( and try to move Spacek off season)

Quote:
I'd drive him myself to Ottawa

Old
01-31-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Reason I bring him in is also to extend him. He would take over and I'd let Hamrlik walk after this season. Also right now if the playoffs started today either Weber or Picard is in the lineup, so I guess your ok with that. I would personally have Phillips in there instead of those 2 and next year give that real shot to Weber( and try to move Spacek off season)
Not an ideal situation...but I like Weber and I think he has a future in the NHL. The experience he's gaining right now will prove very valuable next year.

Again, i'd be ok with adding Phillips...but as long as that means one of Spacek or Gill is gone. Otherwise, it gets too redundant IMO.

Old
01-31-2011, 12:08 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Bob Mackenzie on 990 this morning...

said Montreal could(not will) but could be interested in Chris Phillips and he said it would be a perfect fit and that Montreal would be a place where Phillips would like to go. He also mentioned that if it would happen(the trade) he could see Montreal wanting to sign Phillips and that it's a possibility given Montreal's proximity to Ottawa.

I also posted in the deadline thread, but though it could be interesting to have it a stand alone thread since people would potentially want to discuss this as a rumor, rather than just fans proposals like the other thread.
Obviously, this makes a ton of sense, especially since Calgary looks much better and may not trade any of their big guns. I still think it's key to find guys who you'd think would re-sign, and i think Phillips would. He's also perfect for our cap because he'll be coming off a horrible (looking) year, and because of his stats, he might be a bit cheaper. Imagine what kind of genius PG would like if he could re-sign the Wiz and Philllips to about 8.5M total. Get er done!

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:17 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
To be fair, that pick could also turn into a PK Subban.

There needs to be a balance. Only Spacek and Subban are under contract for next year and two of our UFA defensemen just had major knee surgery. It's all fine and dandy to trade a second pick for Wiz, but to give more young assets for yet another rental might just not be what the doctor ordered.
But if neither are a rental, and we re-sign them both and let Hammer and Gill go next year, it kind of looks brilliant, at least imo.

Old
01-31-2011, 12:21 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
Phillips game seems like it has fallen back this season. He's 33 but has a lot of high mileage on him. He comes from bloodlines with a lot of medical problems. I would probably pass on Phillips. It will cost about our top pick to get him and he looks to be on down side of his career. Plus, locking him up long term will cost major money.

I just feel there are better options out there. No way I would move the our pick for Phillips. Last 3 drafts we drafted around 20th overall, we did pretty good, Pacioretty, Leblanc, Tinordi. We traded our top pick before and struck-out badly ie Tanguay or Linden.
Really, a 1st round pick? When was the last time a guy who had 3 pts in 50 games with a -23 rating get traded for a 1st rounder?? I'd like to trade for him but I was thinking more prospects, not picks, especially for a guy who's an upcoming ufa.

Old
01-31-2011, 12:22 PM
neofury*

It all boils down to this. I'd rather get nobody and let Weber develop then land Phillips for assets we can't afford to give up even if we do sign him. People are right we have plenty of similar D and adding him might help for this run but this run isn't that important imo. It's what we do in the UFA period that's coming up which will decide how we do.

If we go for a top 6 forward I'd be willing to sacrifice assets to get this team scoring more. No way I'd do it for another Hammer/Spacek/etc kind of guy and I'm not saying Phillips is bad he just doesn't address our biggest need which is a guy to play offense in our top 6.

If it was for a plug and we paid cheap just to make sure we have depth defensively fair enough. Phillips is no plug, he will cost us dearly.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:23 PM
Hank Scorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
I would much rather go after Regher...

just sayin
I agree I think a lot of it depends on what happens going forward and cost. The difference between the two from my understanding (admittedly I haven't seen Regher play too often) with Regher you get a little more physicality where as with Phillips you get a little more responsibility. I lean more towards Phillips because he is a UFA at seasons end and, I suspect, a little cheaper then Regher.

If you consider that we need to decide what to do with the contracts of Markov, Gorges, Gill, Wisniewski and Subban (after next season) we don't have a lot to offer in the way of contracts. Lets say we spend about the same on defence next season as we did at the beginning of this season, roughly 16-18million. To play GM for a minute, I'd be trying to resign all those guys or at least as many as possible. This season, we lose Hamrlik or at least his current price tag and I think it's safe to say Markov will make within a million up or down of what he's making now so we'll keep him the same. My guess is Gill gets resigned at a smaller cap hit, about a million less, but Gorges makes 2.5-3mil (we'll say 3), Wisniewski's cap hit reflects his current salary (3.25) or higher and P.K. take over Spacek's money. That puts our defense around 16million as of the 2011-2012 season. If we add Regher's salary over that period we'd be looking at close to 20million, likely over. Phillips offers the chance to negotiate a new contract and being a little older while coming from an off season. If we chose to retain him, I think he'd come a million dollars or two cheaper then Regher who we wouldn't have an option to sign or not at seasons end.

All in all I think what the club decides to do about Markov will really effect our activity on the trade market over the next little while. I also wouldn't be shocked if we didn't make any movement between now and the end of the season but either of these defencemen would look real good along our blue line.

Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:27 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:

I honestly wouldn't. I'd rather use those chips to get something better, or to replace the other chips we'd have to sacrifice in that trade for a key player. By going to the well too often, it will dry out. Gainey has done a good job at re-filling the farm, let's not empty it in a couple of years for spare parts. Let's make sure that if we empty it, it's for parts that will have a long term impact.

It's not like Phillips is the last part that will make the Habs a contender, at least not in my humble opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
But if neither are a rental, and we re-sign them both and let Hammer and Gill go next year, it kind of looks brilliant, at least imo.
What guarantee do we have that he'll do that though? Seems like a high risk, too high in my opinion, for the reasons mentioned above.

Old
01-31-2011, 12:35 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Pushes Weber out of the lineup, and moves Spacek to the bottom of the heap. Making a much more effective and deeper defense corps, which is crucial in the playoffs.

I am not saying that its the best option out there, I dont even have an idea what is avaiable, but that doesnt mean it wouldnt be a good acquistion.

How about Maxwell and Picard for Phillips and Neil

googlymoogly is online now   Reply With Quote