HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline Talk

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2011, 04:38 PM
Clown Baby

vCash: 500
Radek Dvorak and Curtis Glencross please.

Old
01-27-2011, 04:52 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Seriously though, I think we might have to pay a good bit to get Jussi. I'd say we could only get him if Carolina isn't going to be a playoff team. If they aren't a playoff team, I'd say go for him. Zherdev for Jussi?

Old
01-27-2011, 06:21 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

What about Mike Grier? He has a NTC but Im sure he wouldnt mind leaving the sinking ship in Buffalo to come to us.

Old
01-31-2011, 07:17 AM
mirimon

If we still want to have 8 defenders on the roster, but the #7 being more appropriately paid than Walker, what are the options? These are the upcoming UFA defenders (playing in the NHL) with a cap hit of less than 1M:

Ericsson, Jonathan » D DET 26 $900,000 2011 (UFA)
Lilja, Andreas » D ANA 35 $750,000 2011 (UFA)
Mara, Paul » D ANA 31 $750,000 2011 (UFA)
Greene, Andy » D NJD 28 $737,500 2011 (UFA)
Strudwick, Jason » D EDM 35 $725,000 2011 (UFA)
Pardy, Adam » D CGY 26 $700,000 2011 (UFA)
Woywitka, Jeff » D DAL 27 $650,000 2011 (UFA)
Sulzer, Alexander » D NAS 26 $650,000 2011 (UFA)
Hendry, Jordan » D CHI 26 $600,000 2011 (UFA)
Meyer, Freddy » D ATL 30 $600,000 2011 (UFA)
Harrold, Peter » D LAK 27 $583,333 2011 (UFA)
Boynton, Nick » D CHI 32 $500,000 2011 (UFA)
Cullimore, Jassen » D CHI 38 $500,000 2011 (UFA)
Harrison, Jay » D CAR 28 $500,000 2011 (UFA)

Ericsson won't be available and I highly doubt NJ will deal Greene to us. Most of the others are not that exciting... maybe Mara and his playoff beard (I think he's been a healthy scratch quite frequently for the Ducks though). Take back one of Freddy Meyer or Woywitka? Boynton or Harrison perhaps? They are all at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to NHL defenders, but they are paid as it as well.

I'm not so sure I'd go with 8 defenders myself, but that was what Holmgren said he'd do last summer. Getting one of these would still make it possible to go for an upgrade on a winger for Richards.

Old
01-31-2011, 12:06 PM
phillyfanatic

We don't need/want 8 D. They took Walker back at Tampas request is my guess. They locked up O'donnell and traded for Meszaros to improve the 5-6. Bart will be claimed if waived and I don't think they are willing to cut bait with him yet. So "we were stuck with 8 D". It wasn't by design, but of course they sold it as a positive and it was impressive to have 8 D and still be upder the cap.

I imagine Hatcher will be pushing to let one of the kids come up next year for at least injury replacements versus what they are doing today.

Old
01-31-2011, 12:17 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
We don't need/want 8 D. They took Walker back at Tampas request is my guess. They locked up O'donnell and traded for Meszaros to improve the 5-6. Bart will be claimed if waived and I don't think they are willing to cut bait with him yet. So "we were stuck with 8 D". It wasn't by design, but of course they sold it as a positive and it was impressive to have 8 D and still be upder the cap.

I imagine Hatcher will be pushing to let one of the kids come up next year for at least injury replacements versus what they are doing today.
for the playoffs you absolutely need 8 dman, with the 7 being capable of stepping in if something happens and the 8th being somewhat competetent. Syvret is your 8 right now and that is ok. Having Bart as the 7 is a concern to me and i feel will be addressed. Hacther or whoever can poush all they want. If they are not ready it wont matter.

Old
01-31-2011, 12:21 PM
SWE

Holmgren should trade for Jonas Gustavsson and/or Viktor Stålberg. They can't cost much these days.

Old
01-31-2011, 12:37 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWE View Post
Holmgren should trade for Jonas Gustavsson and/or Viktor Stålberg. They can't cost much these days.
I still think that Gustavsson has a chance of turning around his career over in NA. I've been a big fan of him since his days in AIK and the way he played for Tre Kronor was amazing. I wanted us to sign him the summer he went across the pond, but now is not the time. Stålberg won't be an upgrade over the bottom six wingers we have. He might be the fastest player in the league, but he's too fast for his own good half the time.

Old
01-31-2011, 12:49 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

I think they will absolutely go out and get a defenseman and a forward. thats why we wont see a guy like Eric Cole. Its gonna be a depth defenseman and a depth forward. They should be able to find someone that can bring whatever Walker did(hopefully better) for a better cap hit.

Old
01-31-2011, 12:53 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
I still think that Gustavsson has a chance of turning around his career over in NA. I've been a big fan of him since his days in AIK and the way he played for Tre Kronor was amazing. I wanted us to sign him the summer he went across the pond, but now is not the time. Stålberg won't be an upgrade over the bottom six wingers we have. He might be the fastest player in the league, but he's too fast for his own good half the time.
I dont think they will go out and get someone who will be an upgrade to any of our bottom 6 scoring wingers, but you cant go wrong with adding depth. especially in the playoffs where we know we will need it. it seems we always have injuries late in the season and playoffs.

Old
01-31-2011, 01:04 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I dont think they will go out and get someone who will be an upgrade to any of our bottom 6 scoring wingers, but you cant go wrong with adding depth. especially in the playoffs where we know we will need it. it seems we always have injuries late in the season and playoffs.
The roster limit is at 23 though, so if we go with 8 d as you thought, we can't have 14 forwards. Is Nödl waiver exempt? Otherwise we'd need to send one guy back if we're to trade, and that would mean looking for an upgrade.

Old
01-31-2011, 01:18 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
The roster limit is at 23 though, so if we go with 8 d as you thought, we can't have 14 forwards. Is Nödl waiver exempt? Otherwise we'd need to send one guy back if we're to trade, and that would mean looking for an upgrade.
Trade Carcillo back in one of the deals if you need to.

I don't really know what good depth D are available really.

Old
01-31-2011, 01:28 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
yeah that is a good point. Nodl or Bartulis are not waiver exempt. Unless they deal Nodl for an upgrade to the bottom 6 they probably wont do that.
Unless of course they deal Carcillo. I would deal Carcillo over Shelley.
Then we can call up the great Retardalo

Old
01-31-2011, 02:28 PM
Chris Pronger
Valar morghulis

vCash: 50
We need a damn goalie...its the same thing every year...if we cant get one we must hope Bob play well in the playoffs

Old
01-31-2011, 02:40 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan182018 View Post
We need a damn goalie...its the same thing every year...if we cant get one we must hope Bob play well in the playoffs
Why? The Flyers are having their third-best season ever so far with Boosh and Bob both playing well. It's amazing what can happen when the D is addressed by the GM.

Old
01-31-2011, 02:56 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
We needed an upgrade over last year, in that we needed a guy who wouldn't let 2 or 3 sneak in through closed pads in a deciding game. Neither Boosh or Bob are freakin perfect, but the way they've been playing they're a huge upgrade technically over last year's tandem.

Old
01-31-2011, 03:31 PM
CdnFlyersFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
We needed an upgrade over last year, in that we needed a guy who wouldn't let 2 or 3 sneak in through closed pads in a deciding game. Neither Boosh or Bob are freakin perfect, but the way they've been playing they're a huge upgrade technically over last year's tandem.
Yes they are an upgrade...and yes they have played really well to date....it doesn't change the fact that we have a career back-up (essentially) and a rookie. A Vokoun / Bob OR a Bryzgalov / Bob would give us a better chance. Bryzgalov would be AMAZING in orange + black - Yes Phoenix needs playoff revenue...but with ownership issues etc in Phoenix dont assume the cost to be too much....and JVR is not too much for him.

Old
01-31-2011, 03:31 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
yeah that is a good point. Nodl or Bartulis are not waiver exempt. Unless they deal Nodl for an upgrade to the bottom 6 they probably wont do that.
Unless of course they deal Carcillo. I would deal Carcillo over Shelley.
Then we can call up the great Retardalo
why would they call up a player how is not ready for the nhl? doesnt make much sense does it? if they acquire another d, bar will probably be removed off the roster somehow. I just dont see them using him as their 7th dman.

Old
01-31-2011, 03:38 PM
Chris Pronger
Valar morghulis

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Yeah they're playing well in regular season. But how are they going to play when it matters the most. Neither of them proved that they are good in playoffs. We will need more than a decent goalie if we have to face the Canucks or Red wings in finals.

Boucher isn’t so bad in playoffs but I don’t think he’s the one who will bring the cup in Philly.

Old
01-31-2011, 03:42 PM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
Jussi. Nobody wants Olli
i think oli would be a good fit here,

Old
01-31-2011, 03:46 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
i think oli would be a good fit here,
Thats what every team that gets him says. So far it hasnt worked out for any of them.

Old
01-31-2011, 04:08 PM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Thats what every team that gets him says. So far it hasnt worked out for any of them.
they also gave up more than we're working with. its a defferent situation looking at him as a 1st or 2nd line center as opposed to a veteran to replace nodl on richards wing

Old
01-31-2011, 04:11 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Yeah they're playing well in regular season. But how are they going to play when it matters the most. Neither of them proved that they are good in playoffs. We will need more than a decent goalie if we have to face the Canucks or Red wings in finals.

Boucher isn’t so bad in playoffs but I don’t think he’s the one who will bring the cup in Philly.
I'd love to upgrade that position, but I think it's probably unrealistic. Look at the goalies who are usually moved at the deadline, and you'll be disappointed. Our defense allowed MFL to bring us within 2 games of a Cup last year, a nice upgrade to that defense, an even stronger forward corps, and 2 goalies who are better that Leighton give us a great chance. I don't see anything about our team that doesn't translate to post-season hockey.

Old
01-31-2011, 04:53 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Nearly at 1000.

Carry on discussion here: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...4#post30569934

Closed Thread