HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs could be interested in Phillips and Kaberle(Per Lebrun)

Old
01-31-2011, 12:45 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

vCash: 500
Someone on the main board said Phillips for Ramo and a pick i would do that

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:45 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Chris Phillips looks like a Roadrunner compared to Hall Gill or even Souray but yeah, i'm friggin' tired of the Habs being the geriatric ward of the NHL..

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:48 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Not an ideal situation...but I like Weber and I think he has a future in the NHL. The experience he's gaining right now will prove very valuable next year.

Again, i'd be ok with adding Phillips...but as long as that means one of Spacek or Gill is gone. Otherwise, it gets too redundant IMO.
For sure but then again 2 years ago Weber looked great against Boston probably the best payer in that series for us and last year he didn't have a really good year. I like Weber I really do and think he is part of this teams future going forward but if I could replace him for Phillips(just this playoff run) and then bring him in next year I think we would be a better team now and future

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 01:01 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
I agree I think a lot of it depends on what happens going forward and cost. The difference between the two from my understanding (admittedly I haven't seen Regher play too often) with Regher you get a little more physicality where as with Phillips you get a little more responsibility. I lean more towards Phillips because he is a UFA at seasons end and, I suspect, a little cheaper then Regher.

If you consider that we need to decide what to do with the contracts of Markov, Gorges, Gill, Wisniewski and Subban (after next season) we don't have a lot to offer in the way of contracts. Lets say we spend about the same on defence next season as we did at the beginning of this season, roughly 16-18million. To play GM for a minute, I'd be trying to resign all those guys or at least as many as possible. This season, we lose Hamrlik or at least his current price tag and I think it's safe to say Markov will make within a million up or down of what he's making now so we'll keep him the same. My guess is Gill gets resigned at a smaller cap hit, about a million less, but Gorges makes 2.5-3mil (we'll say 3), Wisniewski's cap hit reflects his current salary (3.25) or higher and P.K. take over Spacek's money. That puts our defense around 16million as of the 2011-2012 season. If we add Regher's salary over that period we'd be looking at close to 20million, likely over. Phillips offers the chance to negotiate a new contract and being a little older while coming from an off season. If we chose to retain him, I think he'd come a million dollars or two cheaper then Regher who we wouldn't have an option to sign or not at seasons end.

All in all I think what the club decides to do about Markov will really effect our activity on the trade market over the next little while. I also wouldn't be shocked if we didn't make any movement between now and the end of the season but either of these defencemen would look real good along our blue line.
Ultimately, I don't think Markov should matter much. They had to get new D for next year anyway. In all fairness to Hamrlik and Gill, unless they take major paycuts, we should be trying to get younger and more mobile. If they can also manage to move Spacek, i'd love to see this defence next year:

In no particular order:

Markov-Gorges
Phillips-Subban
Wisniewski-Weber

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 01:05 PM
Kriss E

Would love Phillips at the right price.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 01:07 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Obviously you make the proper evaluation of assets it will cost, and the probability of re-signing him before making the trade...

People here take assets way too seriously. They are just coinfips man, Phillips is the real deal.
LOL. These coinflips as you call them are more important to building a winning team than ever. Sure Phillips is good, but dumping more prospects for a couple months of his service is stupid.

How exactly do you suggest we determine the probability of resigning him before the trade?

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 01:13 PM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Would love Phillips at the right price.
Why not offer a guy like Henry plus a pick. He's not part of the Habs plans and Ottawa is/will be in a rebuilding stage and could use a guy like him to mentor the younger players. This way we don't touch our young guys and who knows maybe resign Phillips at the end of the season.

AllCanadienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 01:13 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
LOL. These coinflips as you call them are more important to building a winning team than ever. Sure Phillips is good, but dumping more prospects for a couple months of his service is stupid.

How exactly do you suggest we determine the probability of resigning him before the trade?
Depends who you are talking about when it comes to prospects? No one would trade Tinordi or Leblanc for Philliops but if they can agree on Maxwell, Palushaj, Boyd just for example those types of player we would be crazy not to trade for Phillips. Those guys don't have future here

Old
01-31-2011, 01:22 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Depends who you are talking about when it comes to prospects? No one would trade Tinordi or Leblanc for Philliops but if they can agree on Maxwell, Palushaj, Boyd just for example those types of player we would be crazy not to trade for Phillips. Those guys don't have future here
Boyd was on waivers twice & no one wanted him for free. Why would Ottawa pay to get him now?

Palushaj for Phillips I would do.

I wouldn't trade Maxwell just yet.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 01:39 PM
Turboflex*

I don't like how slow Phillips is, we already have 3 slow vets on the backend.

I would rather Steve Montador, he would probably be cheaper too. Tho now the Sabres keep winning so unless they have a crappy February they might hold tight (they will probably get rid of COnnelly too if they're out of it, but he could be pricy).

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 01:40 PM
Lucius

At 3.5 million, having a bad year, but so is everyone in Ottawa.

This guy would be a huge upgrade on the never fully replaced Mike Komisarek (not that he himself is what he was).

Why not? We need a shut down guy, which Gorges was. Look at the PK since Gorges went out.

Next season, if he's cheap enough, he could be the heir apparent to Hal Gill too. Gorges would be back, but Phillips gives a lot more than someone like Gill can.

A left handed, steady D who can play in all situations and ends of the ice. Does not that not sound like the PERFECT person to use beside guys like Subban and Weber?

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 01:41 PM
tinyzombies

Not sure about this, unless we get him cheap. He'd be a nice piece to have down the line for a couple years.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 01:47 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
Someone on the main board said Phillips for Ramo and a pick i would do that
That's too much, Ramo would be a straight up trade. He would come over to play as a starter but again if Ottawa is terrible he might not He left Tampa because they were so awful he was tired of the shelling.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 01:55 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Chris Phillips looks like a Roadrunner compared to Hall Gill or even Souray but yeah, i'm friggin' tired of the Habs being the geriatric ward of the NHL..
Well thats fine, and i completely agree but what if at the beginning of next year your oldest D-men were Phillips and Markov? As much as i love what Gill brings on the PK, imagine if you upgrade him with Phillips next year for perhaps only about a 1,5M a year more? And then replace Hammer for Wisniewski for about 1M less a year? I think the major reasons why "rentals" don't get re-signed is because the team can't afford that player the following year or the player never wanted to leave his team in the first place, and wants to go back the following year. Wisniewski is a perfect example of fitting into neither of those categories, which makes it a great trade for the Habs. Now, does Phillips really want to go back to Ottawa next year? The team is going nowhere fast, I'd say hell no. Can the Habs afford him next year? Definitely. And as someone said before, you can't get much closer to Ottawa then Montreal. I mean why do you think Kovalev signed in Ottawa... Add on to that the fact that Gauthier drafted him in 96', and Martin coached him, this kind of looks like a match made in heaven...

Old
01-31-2011, 01:58 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Sure, but you're not gonna get him for any of those guys. Boyd was given away twice and no one wanted him.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 02:02 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
That's too much, Ramo would be a straight up trade. He would come over to play as a starter but again if Ottawa is terrible he might not He left Tampa because they were so awful he was tired of the shelling.
Definitely not straight up. Ramo is playing great in Russia, but that means very little imo. He's always struggled in both the AHL and NHL, He's proven nothing yet. Phillips would cost at least him and another good prospect. That said, it would still be a steal for the Habs if we were able to get Phillips for Ramo and say Maxwell. Lets face it; Ramo will never play in Montreal, he's the epitome of trade bait. Carey price will not play less then 65 games a year for the rest of his career, barring injuries. No reason to have a young guy like Ramo playing 15-20 games behind him.

Old
01-31-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post

This guy would be a huge upgrade on the never fully replaced Mike Komisarek (not that he himself is what he was).

Why not? We need a shut down guy, which Gorges was. Look at the PK since Gorges went out.

Next season, if he's cheap enough, he could be the heir apparent to Hal Gill too. Gorges would be back, but Phillips gives a lot more than someone like Gill can.

A left handed, steady D who can play in all situations and ends of the ice. Does not that not sound like the PERFECT person to use beside guys like Subban and Weber?
Sure...but what you just described doesn't apply to Chris Phillips.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 02:17 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
Well thats fine, and i completely agree but what if at the beginning of next year your oldest D-men were Phillips and Markov? As much as i love what Gill brings on the PK, imagine if you upgrade him with Phillips next year for perhaps only about a 1,5M a year more? And then replace Hammer for Wisniewski for about 1M less a year? I think the major reasons why "rentals" don't get re-signed is because the team can't afford that player the following year or the player never wanted to leave his team in the first place, and wants to go back the following year. Wisniewski is a perfect example of fitting into neither of those categories, which makes it a great trade for the Habs. Now, does Phillips really want to go back to Ottawa next year? The team is going nowhere fast, I'd say hell no. Can the Habs afford him next year? Definitely. And as someone said before, you can't get much closer to Ottawa then Montreal. I mean why do you think Kovalev signed in Ottawa... Add on to that the fact that Gauthier drafted him in 96', and Martin coached him, this kind of looks like a match made in heaven...
Id rather have Hamrlik than Phillips. Replace Gill with Wisniewski.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 02:25 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
I agree, wonder if people regret giving a 2nd for Wiz who has helped us so much compared to that pick who might never even play in the NHL
For some reason, giving up our 2nd round pick or later turns out to be good moves, ie Wiz, Dominic Moore or Matt Schneider are a few examples. Maybe because they fill a pressing need, where moving our top pick has not worked out at all

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 02:26 PM
Toro

Quote:
I didn't use that word to describe him...I said i'd be very cautious about trading future assets for Chris Phillips.

Specifically, in the Habs situation...I don't think Phillips brings anything the Habs don't currently have in Hamrlik/Spacek/Gill.
I agree, If we get a Defenceman It better be a damn good one now, one that is better than all our current guys or one to replace Picard at the deadline , and give Weber a real challenge and still have dough for the deadline acqusition of Iginla. I still think that Weber will elevate his play down the stretch, he deserves that opportunity.

Get Iginla at the deadline and a cheaper aging vet for the 7th D role.

Phillips now wrecks all that. Phillips is not a good enough improvement to this Hockey club., unless i'm missing something with him. I see a guy not much better if at all than spacek or Hamrlik.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 02:26 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post

It's really a no-brainer.

Old
01-31-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
I agree, If we get a Defenceman It better be a damn good one now, one that is better than all our current guys or one to replace Picard at the deadline , and give Weber a real challenge and still have dough for the deadline acqusition of Iginla. I still think that Weber will elevate his play down the stretch, he deserves that opportunity.

Get Iginla at the deadline and a cheaper aging vet for the 7th D role.

Phillips now wrecks all that. Phillips is not a good enough improvement to this Hockey club., unless i'm missing something with him. I see a guy not much better if at all than spacek or Hamrlik.
No way Iginla is coming to Montreal...I suggest you guys drop that pipe dream asap. It'll save you the heartache

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 02:37 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
Id rather have Hamrlik than Phillips. Replace Gill with Wisniewski.
Well i just don't agree, unless we can get Hamrlik for 3.5M or less next year. That's why trading for Philips makes a lot of sense. It gives the team more options next year. I'd rather bring in someone now also, because if we end up losing a bunch of guys on D next year, we'll have to sign UFA's. That means overpaying for players, which i'm tried of doing. We'd probably save a couple of million a year if say we re-signed both Phillips and Wizniewski. I see this as a perfect opportunity to trade the surplus of decent F prospects we have, half of which will probably never get to play for the Habs. It would be nice if Phillips was a couple of years younger but I think he'd be the perfect veteran replacement for Hamrlik.

Old
01-31-2011, 02:37 PM
Kurplunk

Quote:
No way Iginla is coming to Montreal...I suggest you guys drop that pipe dream asap. It'll save you the heartache
I wouldn't even want him, it would take a lot for him to come here, and I don't see how he'd fit anywhere nicely for the price he'd cost.

Kurplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 02:38 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Don't know where it's coming from but with the Flames being in a fight for a playoff spot I just don't see them dealing their franchise player away like that. Ain't gonna happen