HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Craig Anderson - What to do?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-30-2011, 11:15 AM
  #51
chagopian
Registered User
 
chagopian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Markham, Canada
Country: Armenia
Posts: 790
vCash: 500
we're in a sticky situation. Everytime I see Budaj in net, I know what we're getting, 3-5 goals allowed. Anderson on the other hand is posting games where he allows anywhere from 1-5 goals. A combination of inconsistent goaltending and incredibly poor defense is turning Anderson into a very shaky and volatile goaltender.

That being said, what difference does it make? Isn't this just another rebuild year? We're either gambling with Anderson, or conceding defeat with Budaj. If there's an option outside of these two, we're saying goodbye to Craig Anderson. At what cost though? We bring in a guy like Vokoun, and is he really going to do much better behind our defense? The Avs management knows that Quincey is injured, Hannan traded away, Hunwick riding the pine. Our defense has gotten much worse. Kevin Shattenkirk wasn't even good enough to crack the lineup at the beginning of the year. He's one of our top four d-men now. And does anyone remember our defense from last year?

Option 1) You ride out the season with what you got, and you hope things come together for Andy.

Option 2) You trade for a goalie and hope he replaces Anderson.

Option 3) You address the fat ****ing elephant in the room, and you bring in a real defender for Anderson.

chagopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 11:39 AM
  #52
NothingLikeAnEJ
Jimmies: Rustled
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 4,282
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chagopian View Post
we're in a sticky situation. Everytime I see Budaj in net, I know what we're getting, 3-5 goals allowed. Anderson on the other hand is posting games where he allows anywhere from 1-5 goals. A combination of inconsistent goaltending and incredibly poor defense is turning Anderson into a very shaky and volatile goaltender.

That being said, what difference does it make? Isn't this just another rebuild year? We're either gambling with Anderson, or conceding defeat with Budaj. If there's an option outside of these two, we're saying goodbye to Craig Anderson. At what cost though? We bring in a guy like Vokoun, and is he really going to do much better behind our defense? The Avs management knows that Quincey is injured, Hannan traded away, Hunwick riding the pine. Our defense has gotten much worse. Kevin Shattenkirk wasn't even good enough to crack the lineup at the beginning of the year. He's one of our top four d-men now. And does anyone remember our defense from last year?

Option 1) You ride out the season with what you got, and you hope things come together for Andy.

Option 2) You trade for a goalie and hope he replaces Anderson.

Option 3) You address the fat ****ing elephant in the room, and you bring in a real defender for Anderson.

I vote for option 3

However, I believe we are just going to ride it out with what we've got. Does anyone know if Quincey can come back for the playoffs? Or is he done for the complete season.

NothingLikeAnEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 11:45 AM
  #53
rpontbriand
Registered User
 
rpontbriand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,153
vCash: 500
I really don't see a much better "realistic" option for goal at this point other than Anderson. I also agree that our D needs an overhaul which probably means some tough decisions to replace guys that are duplicates.

The easy D to get rid of are probably guys like Hunwick, Cumisky and possibly Quincey though I think the latter is worth working with.

Footer is probably gone after this season so that is easy as well.

The hard part is that there is still duplication of D style between Shattenkick and Liles. I think most of us agree that Shattenkirk is the real deal and I would keep him over Liles. Yes, J.M. has had a great season but he is the only D we have, packaged with someone else, that can get us the true number 1 we sorely need.

rpontbriand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 11:54 AM
  #54
Pure
Registered User
 
Pure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,944
vCash: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpontbriand View Post
I really don't see a much better "realistic" option for goal at this point other than Anderson. I also agree that our D needs an overhaul which probably means some tough decisions to replace guys that are duplicates.

The easy D to get rid of are probably guys like Hunwick, Cumisky and possibly Quincey though I think the latter is worth working with.

Footer is probably gone after this season so that is easy as well.

The hard part is that there is still duplication of D style between Shattenkick and Liles. I think most of us agree that Shattenkirk is the real deal and I would keep him over Liles. Yes, J.M. has had a great season but he is the only D we have, packaged with someone else, that can get us the true number 1 we sorely need.
We absolutely need more than 1 puck mover on our team so there is nothing wrong with having both Liles and Shattenkirk.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 11:57 AM
  #55
rpontbriand
Registered User
 
rpontbriand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
We absolutely need more than 1 puck mover on our team so there is nothing wrong with having both Liles and Shattenkirk.
I agree with that though I would prefer a bigger puck mover that could also be considered a true number one kind of guy. Me targeting Liles is just that he, minus Shattenkirk, is the only guy we could package to get anything of value IMO.

rpontbriand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 01:51 PM
  #56
shadow1
Registered User
 
shadow1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 11,323
vCash: 1210
Quote:
Originally Posted by chagopian View Post
Option 1) You ride out the season with what you got, and you hope things come together for Andy.

Option 2) You trade for a goalie and hope he replaces Anderson.

Option 3) You address the fat ****ing elephant in the room, and you bring in a real defender for Anderson.
Let's go with three while not completely forgetting about two if things don't improve.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 02:24 PM
  #57
Pure
Registered User
 
Pure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,944
vCash: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
Let's go with three while not completely forgetting about two if things don't improve.
Agreed. If we get a couple of good dmen and things don't improve, we absolutely need to look at goaltending.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 06:18 AM
  #58
The Angry Teatowel
@AngryTeatowel
 
The Angry Teatowel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kent, UK
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 837
vCash: 500
I think Andy's played his way out of the longer term/bigger money contract he could have been offered if he'd carried on his form from last season. If I'm Sherman, I give Andy to the end of this year to prove that he's worth anything more than a 1 season deal for next year. If he can elevate his play and the team play some D to boost his numbers, I can see a 2 year (3 years max) deal being dished out but with the upcoming CBA, Andy's relative (and hopefully temporarily) decline, Budaj being Budaj and Pickard in the pipeline, I don't see a long term future with the Avs for Anderson. I think he'd be able to get more money from another team.

The Angry Teatowel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 01:20 PM
  #59
AvsGuy
Registered User
 
AvsGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Saskatoon, Sk
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
Man that was a great night
This is exactly why I think we should re-sign him. Oh well.

AvsGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 02:02 PM
  #60
JeffFingerDiscount
Registered User
 
JeffFingerDiscount's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 131
vCash: 171
Given the fact that practically nobody is signed beyond the end of the current CBA, would Anderson have been getting anything longer than a year anyway? Even if Andy had continued playing to last year's form, does anyone think that management considered him the type of piece worth risking cap flexibility on with an unknown situation post-2012?

JeffFingerDiscount is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.