HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs could be interested in Phillips and Kaberle(Per Lebrun)

Old
01-31-2011, 02:51 PM
Toro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
No way Iginla is coming to Montreal...I suggest you guys drop that pipe dream asap. It'll save you the heartache
ya cause you know.

we will see.

Calgary will not make the playoffs, not in the west.

even if they do, and keep their team intact we need to acquire a player in the like of Iginla. If U can't see that then I can't help.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
ya cause you know.
we will see.

even if they do, and keep their team intact we need to acquire a player in the like of Iginla. If U can't see that then I can't help.
Don't hold your breath...

P.S. - Calgary is 2pts out of a playoff spot today as i'm writing this, with less than 1 month to go before the trade deadline. Don't expect them to move their franchise player while in a playoff push. I doubt that between now and the trade deadline, they'll be completely out of the race.

But hey, I don't wanna stop a kid from dreaming...so by all means

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 03:07 PM
Toro

Quote:
Don't hold your breath...

P.S. - Calgary is 2pts out of a playoff spot today as i'm writing this, with less than 1 month to go before the trade deadline. Don't expect them to move their franchise player while in a playoff push. I doubt that between now and the trade deadline, they'll be completely out of the race.

But hey, I don't wanna stop a kid from dreaming...so by all means
I wont hold my breath boy.

yadayada calgary is 2 points out. but the teams around them have 2 games in hand and St.Louis will rebound from the tailspin and pass Calgary. But I don't want to stop a little boy from dreaming...so by all means....

Old
01-31-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:

yadayada calgary is 2 points out. but the teams around them have 2 games in hand and St.Louis will rebound from the tailspin and pass Calgary. But I don't want to stop a little boy from dreaming...so by all means....
So essentially...you're proving my point?

With Calgary locked in a playoff battle and with the trade deadline 29 days away (and 13 games away for the Flames), what makes you think that Calgary will be so far out of a playoff spot between now and then, that they're going to turn around and trade their franchise player?

Get real man

Old
01-31-2011, 03:23 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:

And who says those teams will win the 2 games in hand and St.Louis with the injuries they have gotten this year doubt sneak in. The Flames are in a good position doesn't mean they make the playoffs but I don't see why they move Iginla, especially with Feaster in control now

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
And who says those teams will win the 2 games in hand and St.Louis with the injuries they have gotten this year doubt sneak in. The Flames are in a good position doesn't mean they make the playoffs but I don't see why they move Iginla, especially with Feaster in control now
The playoff race in the West won't be determined by February 29th...chances are the teams that are fighting to get in today, will be the same teams fighting to get in on the even of the trade deadline. Which means Jarome Igninla, ain't going anywhere.

Old
01-31-2011, 03:45 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
The playoff race in the West won't be determined by February 29th...chances are the teams that are fighting to get in today, will be the same teams fighting to get in on the even of the trade deadline. Which means Jarome Igninla, ain't going anywhere.
Even if they're out by then (Calgary) I still don't see them moving Iginla and with his cap hit who would we trade to Calgary for them to wanna make such move? Just don't see it being possible, not right now

Old
01-31-2011, 03:46 PM
Toro

Im not the one who created the idea of Calgary trading Iginla, its been talked about around the league all year. Ya Calgary have risen out of the basement but they need to rebuild and they know it. They are close to a playoff spot cause 5 or 6 teams above them have been freefalling. I still don't see them in the playoffs.

BUt it don't really matter to me, if we can't get Iggy from them we need to go after a similar type player not Phillips.

Old
01-31-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Even if they're out by then (Calgary) I still don't see them moving Iginla and with his cap hit who would we trade to Calgary for them to wanna make such move? Just don't see it being possible, not right now
Yeah I agree...he's a legacy player there, I don't see them moving him in any scenario this year.

Old
01-31-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Im not the one who created the idea of Calgary trading Iginla, its been talked about around the league all year. Ya Calgary have risen out of the basement but they need to rebuild and they know it. They are close to a playoff spot cause 5 or 6 teams above them have been freefalling. I still don't see them in the playoffs.

BUt it don't really matter to me, if we can't get Iggy from them we need to go after a similar type player not Phillips.
Fair enough...I just don't think the Habs have the kind of assets, or rather, can afford to move the kind of assets it's going to take to acquire such player.

Ideally, the Habs if they're going to make a move...would like to improve their current team without substracting from it.

Substracting from the current team to add 'player X' seems like a lateral move to me.

Old
01-31-2011, 03:52 PM
sampollock

iggs is not coming

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 03:52 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:

For sure they need to rebuild down there but trading Iginla right now for them doesn't make much sense. Maybe the off season during the draft or something I just don't see them doing it now around the deadline and saying to their fans well sorry but we are giving up. I agree they need to get younger, but I don't see them doing it down the stretch. Also Feaster has come out and made fun of that rumor, so not so sure he is going to trade him after him doing that.

I agree we need that type of player, and a Phillips as well. I think we need 2 solid players for us to take it to the next level

Old
01-31-2011, 04:04 PM
CN_paladin

It'd be a mistake trading for him with Georges and Markov out for the season.

I'd offer 4M/yr for him in the off season though.

CN_paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 04:11 PM
le_sean

I'd love to see Phillips paired with Subban this and next season.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 04:16 PM
DJ Breadman

HUGE NO, he is about to turn 33 and for a "shutdown" dman he is -24 that's worst on his team. I know it's the sens' and all but at his age do you think he's really going to magically be awesome on the habs?

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 04:39 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
HUGE NO, he is about to turn 33 and for a "shutdown" dman he is -24 that's worst on his team. I know it's the sens' and all but at his age do you think he's really going to magically be awesome on the habs?
Using +- on a team among the worst in the NHL at +- is a bad measuring stick. If Lidstrom was the best player on the Islanders or Oilers he'd probably ahve an ugly +- by year end.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 04:41 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
ya cause you know.

we will see.

Wether they make it or not is irrelevant, the only way Iginla gets traded is if they are 12-15 points out at the deadline...it could happen but at this point it seems unlikely.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 04:46 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
LOL. These coinflips as you call them are more important to building a winning team than ever. Sure Phillips is good, but dumping more prospects for a couple months of his service is stupid.

How exactly do you suggest we determine the probability of resigning him before the trade?
Yes they are important, but getting significant and skilled roster players is just as crucial. Like I said before, you evalute your talent in the pool, and protect the ones you think are going to make an impact with your club. Trade the ones that are not. Like Maxwell for example, we have Engvist, Leblanc, Eller, Gomez and Plekanec who are all arguably ahead of him in the depth chart, he is expenable. So is a Travis Moen for example, or Weber.

If Ottawa is keen to trade him, PG can ask for permission to have preliminary talks with him and see where Phillips is at.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 04:47 PM
guest1467

Quote:
You are acting like 33 is old, particularly for a seasoned defensemen.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 04:52 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Roman Hamrlik was 33 when the Habs signed him and he did well.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:03 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Roman Hamrlik was 33 when the Habs signed him and he did well.
But Hamrlik wasn't significantly declining the last few years before we signed him

Old
01-31-2011, 05:11 PM
Habit11

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Yes they are important, but getting significant and skilled roster players is just as crucial. Like I said before, you evalute your talent in the pool, and protect the ones you think are going to make an impact with your club. Trade the ones that are not. Like Maxwell for example, we have Engvist, Leblanc, Eller, Gomez and Plekanec who are all arguably ahead of him in the depth chart, he is expenable. So is a Travis Moen for example, or Weber.

If Ottawa is keen to trade him, PG can ask for permission to have preliminary talks with him and see where Phillips is at.
If it takes a player like Maxwell to get back a dman who could potentially help the team make and go a few rounds in the playoffs, yes, you are losing a future asset, but you are also potentially giving playoff experience to young players like Price, PK, Pouliot, Eller, Weber.

So you can potentially look at a trade for an older UFA as help to get players on your roster playoff experience that is extremely valuable to their development.

Habit11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:47 PM
RE-HABS

If we can afford to trade for Phillips, I say we can afford to trade for Regehr. He is younger, meaner and fits us better in being under contract and players or prospects going the other way wouldn't haunt us as they could in Ottawa.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:50 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
If we can afford to trade for Phillips, I say we can afford to trade for Regehr. He is younger, meaner and fits us better in being under contract and players or prospects going the other way wouldn't haunt us as they could in Ottawa.
Phillips is a UFA at year-end playing for a garbage team, Regehr is signed for next year, is younger, and his team still has a shot at the playoffs... Regehr will cost quite a bit more than Phillips.

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:58 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Phillips is a UFA at year-end playing for a garbage team, Regehr is signed for next year, is younger, and his team still has a shot at the playoffs... Regehr will cost quite a bit more than Phillips.
we can afford either one, my choice would be Regehr but we need a powerforward in the Iginla mold instead of a Defenceman.