HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Shea Weber to the Maple Leafs

Old
01-31-2011, 05:18 PM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Shea Weber to the Maple Leafs

Probably one of the most untouchable players on the Preds, but I wonder if they would consider a deal that is good for both teams. The Pred's were interested in Kessel but he ended up in Toronto. Do you think the Pred's would be interested in re visiting a possible deal for Kessel again?

The Leafs do this because our defense despite being one of the highest paid in the league, needs some serious tweaking in order to compete.

It obviously would be more than Kessel going to the Pred's.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:19 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 1752
bad trading partners

Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:23 PM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schennanigans View Post
Probably one of the most untouchable players on the Preds, but I wonder if they would consider a deal that is good for both teams. The Pred's were interested in Kessel but he ended up in Toronto. Do you think the Pred's would be interested in re visiting a possible deal for Kessel again?

The Leafs do this because our defense despite being one of the highest paid in the league, needs some serious tweaking in order to compete.

It obviously would be more than Kessel going to the Pred's.
No. Kessel ended up in Toronto because Nashville was unwilling to give him the money he was demanding. Nashville was offering 5 years @ $4.0 million a year, Kessel had Burke in his back pocket so he knew he was making $5.4 million if it was with Toronto, Nashville or Boston.

That's what held up that deal.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:25 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
No. Kessel ended up in Toronto because Nashville was unwilling to give him the money he was demanding. Nashville was offering 5 years @ $4.0 million a year, Kessel had Burke in his back pocket so he knew he was making $5.4 million if it was with Toronto, Nashville or Boston.

Did they ever end up saying what the Preds offerred for Kessel? I heard it was a better offer than T.O's at the time, but that might have just been a rumour.

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:26 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Won't happen

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:26 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Schenn
Kadri
1st 2012
2nd 2012

Something crazy like that. Not good trading partners.

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:29 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
not worth it.

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:33 PM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
Did they ever end up saying what the Preds offerred for Kessel? I heard it was a better offer than T.O's at the time, but that might have just been a rumour.
It was never confirmed by anyone, but I do know Boston liked Nashville's package better because it included at least 1 NHL-ready player. Media sources and fans in Boston were convinced the deal was done between the 2 organizations.

The rumor was:
1 of: Jonathan Blum or Colin Wilson
and Nashville's 1st in 2010

So a good young player/prospect and a mid-round 1st.
Boston was ready to make the deal but Nashville pulled out once they realized Kessel would just sign an offer sheet with Toronto forcing Nashville to pay him $5.4 million/season or lose Kessel for Toronto's 1st, 2nd & 3rd round picks in 2010.

Old
01-31-2011, 05:34 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Definitely not worth it from a Leaf perspective.

The Leafs already have a ton of money sunk into the defense. They simply can't afford to sink more cap, and more assets into that position. Especially not at the cost of any of the solid forwards they do have.

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:48 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Preds were rumoured to have declined the deal because the Bruins wanted Wilson and Kessel wouldn't sign in Nashville. What makes you think Kessel would want to play in Nashville, or Nashville would want to give up Weber.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:49 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:

It had nothing to do with that. The reason he didn't end up in Nashville was because Nashville was scared Toronto would just offer sheet him to something they couldn't afford.

Regardless, both are bad partners.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 06:10 PM
TYayo

Yeah not worth it from LEafs perspective...I would love to have him and he would easily be our best player...but whatever it took to get him would just cripple our franchise and by the time we got players with him he'd be past his prime

TYayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 06:11 PM
SpezDispenser

Not gonna end well.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 06:31 PM
RogerRoeper*

Weber is overrated. If he was seen nightly in Toronto his flaws would be exposed. The Leafs have enough money tied-up in the blueline. Time to concentrate on spending $ upfront.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 06:31 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
Schenn
Kadri
1st 2012
2nd 2012

Something crazy like that. Not good trading partners.
No team is ever going to offer that kind of package for Weber.

Old
01-31-2011, 06:35 PM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinjosh View Post
It had nothing to do with that. The reason he didn't end up in Nashville was because Nashville was scared Toronto would just offer sheet him to something they couldn't afford.

Regardless, both are bad partners.
Ummmm... isn't that exactly what I said in two different posts?
Quote:
It was never confirmed by anyone, but I do know Boston liked Nashville's package better because it included at least 1 NHL-ready player. Media sources and fans in Boston were convinced the deal was done between the 2 organizations.

The rumor was:
1 of: Jonathan Blum or Colin Wilson
and Nashville's 1st in 2010

So a good young player/prospect and a mid-round 1st.
Boston was ready to make the deal but Nashville pulled out once they realized Kessel would just sign an offer sheet with Toronto forcing Nashville to pay him $5.4 million/season or lose Kessel for Toronto's 1st, 2nd & 3rd round picks in 2010.
Quote:

Old
01-31-2011, 06:37 PM
nmbr_24

It doesn't seem like Toronto has anything that could make the Preds want to do this deal.

Toronto needs to hang on to the assets they have and rebuild their team, trading a few of their best assets for one player when they are so far away from being in contention for anything would set them back yet again in my opinion.

There is just no way the Preds would trade Weber for anything less than multiple assets since Toronto doesn't have anyone even close to as valuable as weber.

It's just a guess on my part, but I don't see how they wouldn't ask for Schenn, Kessel, and Kadri. There is just no way Toronto would do that.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 06:50 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
It doesn't seem like Toronto has anything that could make the Preds want to do this deal.

Toronto needs to hang on to the assets they have and rebuild their team, trading a few of their best assets for one player when they are so far away from being in contention for anything would set them back yet again in my opinion.

There is just no way the Preds would trade Weber for anything less than multiple assets since Toronto doesn't have anyone even close to as valuable as weber.

It's just a guess on my part, but I don't see how they wouldn't ask for Schenn, Kessel, and Kadri. There is just no way Toronto would do that.
Please, Weber is not worth that.

Old
01-31-2011, 06:57 PM
Canuck and Bills Fan

Phagoof is your captain your going to bring in Weber and rip the C from goof? How does that dynamic work?

Canuck and Bills Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 07:01 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Please, Weber is not worth that.
That's your opinion and I can respect that, and if you notice, i said the Leafs would never do that. I also said that's what i think they would ask for, it doesn't mean I think they wouldn't negociate if they were actually up for trading Weber, it is just that so many other teams could come up with better packages than the Leafs could.

Maybe New Jersey offers up Parise for Weber, Maybe Boston offers up Toronto's 1st in 2011 and David Krejci, Toronto just doesn't have enough assets that they would be willing to give up in a deal that could return Weber.

Old
01-31-2011, 07:06 PM
seanlinden

This is just a horrible idea from just about every perspective. Toronto's problem is size up front, an ineffective top line, and bad goaltending. Shea Weber wouldn't address any of those issues. He's obviously a great defenceman, but Toronto can't afford to committ anywhere near the assets, and dollars required to add him to the roster.

If he came in a completely unrealstic Phaneuf + a small extra asset deal? Sure... but that's not going to happen. Our D is built around Phaneuf, Beauchemin, Schenn & Kaberle at least until they become a problem. If Kaberle goes, we'll have to sign another true puckmover (which Weber is not).

If Toronto is going to pursue RFA defencemen, Keith Yandle is the guy to go for (only assuming Kaberle isn't back next year).

Last edited by seanlinden: 01-31-2011 at 07:18 PM.
seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 07:07 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
That's your opinion and I can respect that, and if you notice, i said the Leafs would never do that. I also said that's what i think they would ask for, it doesn't mean I think they wouldn't negociate if they were actually up for trading Weber, it is just that so many other teams could come up with better packages than the Leafs could.

Maybe New Jersey offers up Parise for Weber, Maybe Boston offers up Toronto's 1st in 2011 and David Krejci, Toronto just doesn't have enough assets that they would be willing to give up in a deal that could return Weber.
the devils wouldn't offer up Parise

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 07:08 PM
BBSeabs27
#freeseabs

Preds will never give up Weber if he keeps playing this well.

BBSeabs27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 07:12 PM
glenngineer

There are only a handful of players I'd trade Weber for. Nashville would need to get a top 3 forward in return for Weber. The only guys I could possibly see that being are Parise, Perry or Nash.

The Parise deal probably makes the most sense for both teams as long as Parise's knee is fine. It would give the Preds their first top 3 forward in his prime and he would fit the system Nashville plays. It would also give the Devils the big mean defensemen they've missed since Stevens left.

As a Preds fan, I don't see Weber going anywhere but if he were to get moved, a top 3 forward has to come back in return.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 07:15 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
the devils wouldn't offer up Parise
It was just an example