HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

problem while skating

Old
01-31-2011, 04:35 PM
datsyukianLIKE

vCash: 500
problem while skating

i dont know if im just a ****** skater but sometimes when im skating my right foot kinda wobles on the ice i dont know if im not on my edge correctly or what but i hate it when it happens any tips???

datsyukianLIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 04:59 PM
AIREAYE

There could be a bunch of problems, ranging from incorrect skating technique, weak ankles combined with a low-level skate or just not tightening the laces properly

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:17 PM
datsyukianLIKE

i would say incorrect skating tech i have the rbk 8ks and i tie the nice and tight would you say i should be on my edge more?

Old
01-31-2011, 05:32 PM
hattrick3518

vCash: 860
Did you get your skates molded? If your wobbling around its usually weak ankles or loose skates.

hattrick3518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 06:02 PM
datsyukianLIKE

my skates are really tight how could i get my ankles stronger just put more weight on my edges?

Old
01-31-2011, 06:03 PM
datsyukianLIKE

Yes i did have my skates molded

Old
01-31-2011, 06:18 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Try to get more weight into your skating. A nice deep knee bend will help this. When I first started skating my skates would go squirrelly like that and I just had to sit down more and bend my knees.

Stronger ankles would help but you're not going to get that overnight. Just keep skating and that will come.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 07:05 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hattrick3518 View Post
Did you get your skates molded? If your wobbling around its usually weak ankles or loose skates.
you should read previous posts before adding your own, as I already suggested those things. If he is wobbly, then molding will have a negligible impact on that. I agree with Kr580 and say that you should put some more weight on that skate and have a good knee bend

Old
01-31-2011, 07:11 PM
hattrick3518

Quote:
Originally Posted by datsyukianLIKE View Post
my skates are really tight how could i get my ankles stronger just put more weight on my edges?
It just takes practice, I'm just getting back into the game myself and it just takes time, you have to build up strength in your legs, ankles, everything. It'll come in time, just keep working at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
Try to get more weight into your skating. A nice deep knee bend will help this. When I first started skating my skates would go squirrelly like that and I just had to sit down more and bend my knees.

Stronger ankles would help but you're not going to get that overnight. Just keep skating and that will come.
Your right, some people forget that a good knee bend aids in a better stride, its easy when your starting out to skate too upright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
you should read previous posts before adding your own, as I already suggested those things. If he is wobbly, then molding will have a negligible impact on that. I agree with Kr580 and say that you should put some more weight on that skate and have a good knee bend
My bad, great of you to suggest those things, nothing wrong with hearing them twice really . Oh and you said nothing about molding skates, get off the soap box, we're all here to help.

Old
01-31-2011, 07:51 PM
Badger36

I used to have that problem, but Ive worked on making my ankles stronger and its gone away.
Id suggest doing single leg squats, standing on 1 leg and squatting while maintaining a 90 degree bend for as long as you can.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:02 PM
toddmanley

I put to use one of my Bosu balls and that helped a lot (as a new guy to the game). Turn the ball over and have the flat side facing up. Find your balance and stand on one foot for 30-60 seconds, then alternate. Do a few sets of these and you'll wake up the next morning with some tired legs...and do it with a knee bend.

toddmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 06:46 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

Is there a way specifically to strengthen your ankles? I was always under the impression that 'weak ankles' is a myth. I find that the strength of my ankle doesn't really matter if my skates are right because they don't move. However, if it's a real thing I'd still like stronger ankles.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:45 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hattrick3518 View Post

My bad, great of you to suggest those things, nothing wrong with hearing them twice really . Oh and you said nothing about molding skates, get off the soap box, we're all here to help.
For sure, I'm saying that if his skates already fit out of the box and he still has those problems, molding wont change much as the process only provides small adjustments in terms of fit and comfort. It's not a make-or-break adjustment. I apologize if I come off as being aggressive haha it's a message board after all

Old
02-01-2011, 11:57 AM
hattrick3518

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
For sure, I'm saying that if his skates already fit out of the box and he still has those problems, molding wont change much as the process only provides small adjustments in terms of fit and comfort. It's not a make-or-break adjustment. I apologize if I come off as being aggressive haha it's a message board after all
Yeah I guess your right, I'm just not used to skates fitting right off the rack. And no worries, I can see how it could have been a little frustrating, I didn't get it the first time reading it but it makes sense now for sure.

Old
02-01-2011, 03:57 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
Is there a way specifically to strengthen your ankles? I was always under the impression that 'weak ankles' is a myth. I find that the strength of my ankle doesn't really matter if my skates are right because they don't move. However, if it's a real thing I'd still like stronger ankles.
It certainly is not a myth. I just strengthened mine through skating. If you have a stiff boot and lace them tightly all the way up you may be able to get away without strong ankles, but that would limit my forward flex tremendously. I skip the top eyelet when lacing up so there's a bit more reliance on my ankles to keep me upright. It comes pretty quickly if you skate a lot.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post

BTW, I love single leg squats. Doing them has done a lot to help my balance while skating on one foot and to make it so that 1 of my legs isnt dominant.
At first my right leg was much more dominant than my left, but now Ive got it to the point where they are pretty close to being equal. Since much of skating is done one foot at a time, single leg squats are very important, IMO.
I used to have problems that my ankles would start to burn after about 15 minutes of skating, but now I can skate for a entire hour long open skate session and not need to stop and take a break.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote